How do you clean your brushes?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the plastic ones get a bucket of soapy water.
My fave body brush is horsehair and wooden backed so I occasionally shampoo that but tbh a good curry comb gets that pretty clean.

Nicnac

Visit site
Bucket of hot water with about 20 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil. Leave to soak then give a bit of a scrub with my hands, leave outside bristles down on a flat surface to dry.

windand rain

Visit site
I have a few old ones with wooden backs so I tend to stand them bristles down in a bowl of warm water and washing soda. Couldnt be doing with all the hair in the washing machine

chaps89

Visit site
Washing machine for plastic ones, in with a horsey wash when it goes on.
Bucket of warm water with some lavender shampoo for the wooden backed ones, rinsed after.

NLPM

Visit site
In a bag in the washing machine - less noise, no hair. I wash a lot of horse stuff regularly so have a few of the 'proper' zip up bags for saddlecloths etc., but to be honest for small things like brushes an old pillowcase would do the trick.

mini_b

Visit site
Washing machine. Never even occurred to me that you could do this until I started working as an SJ groom. They come up spotless :D

which brushes do you put in the washing machine? I really want to do this but worried it will kill my haas ones

eggs

Visit site
I put all my brushes in the washing machine - usually in a duvet cover. These include leather and wooden backed ones. Never had a problem.

GinaGeo

Visit site
My haas ones have been through the dishwasher on occasions when there isn’t anybody home to witness it ?

Other than that hot soapy water and curry comb.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Once a year after winter is over. Hot water n soap in a bucket and curry comb. Amazing what comes out! ?

these days anyway when I was showing regularly it was more than that.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I use horse medicated shampoo regularly on my SI pony. I just use that and leave the brushes to soak in the bucket, rinsing them off after.