How is everyone coping with the weather

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Hating it. Needs to make up it’s mind. Snowing heavily at 5.30am this morning, very windy so mucked out the boys and left them in, went to work, by 10.30 it was nice, dry and very little wind but the forecast was showing horrid until 3pm when I checked it. Can’t do anything about it as working from 7.30am to 8pm.

yet I’ve turned him out when it’s been decent with a decent forecast and dragged in a bedraggled grumpy baby pony whose soaked right though and his equally grumpy big pal with them both drawing me looks as to why the hell they were put out in that.

Also one storm after another is doing my head in. I want a big freeze!!! Hate wind and rain and mud!

JFTDWS

Visit site
The sun is shining here, despite downpours last night. I presume it's different where you are, as this thread makes no sense to me right now! Either way, I'm sure your horse will be fine even if it's grim where you are. Like many horses, my lot live out year round, even in storms and miserable weather.

meleeka

Visit site
I’m going to need a canoe soon ☹️ My field is a lake and my shiny new shelter has flooded. Horses currently out with access to the yard area, but will be going in later. I’m just waiting for the latest hammering down to pass before I venture out again.

Fiona

Visit site
I'm normally very happy with the way we keep our 4, but this last week has sorely tested me.....

Big 2 go out in the daytime, and in at night (their field is soft but has plenty of grass cover/foggage so they are OK so far, though tending to be hard to handle in the high winds)
Little two spend the daytime in a dry (apart form the gateway field) but with very little shelter from the South and East, and their nights in individual half acre paddocks which are very well sheltered, but are getting very very wet :( I think we may need to change something, but what????

We have an all weather area, but it has no shelter at all from the West or South (prevailing wind at present).

Fiona

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
The sun is shining here, despite downpours last night. I presume it's different where you are, as this thread makes no sense to me right now! Either way, I'm sure your horse will be fine even if it's grim where you are. Like many horses, my lot live out year round, even in storms and miserable weather.

Yes I think I worry too much about them, daft I know.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Right now, very very despondent. I normally dressage and right now I simply can't imagine competing again. We've regressed so far now that I honestly can't see a way forward right now. Very very fed up and wish the bloody weather would give us a break. (please no comments about Australia - my heart breaks for them and I'm fully aware how lucky we really are)

dorsetladette

Visit site
I have one with what I think is a brewing abscess, so hot tubbing and polticing in the wind and rain isn't much fun.

On the whole though I don't think we're doing to bad. only a couple of gateways that are muddy. The shelter is getting lots of use which is making poo picking a lot easier.

I've probably tempted fate now.

be positive

Visit site
Much the same as everyone else, fields getting wetter each day but they still go out and seem happy enough although today two are in as one has an abscess and I wanted to try to get it clean and a bit drier today, his fieldmate is happy enough staying in to keep him company, back out tomorrow as normal.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Getting thoroughly fed up but trying to keep going. Wind OR rain would be OK but the combination is getting a bit wearing. Past caring about mud, I still have a bit of field sectioned off for the oldies to go onto when it's time to repair the bog so if I can keep the elec fence up in the wind I'll be happy!

Intermittent sunshine and torrential rain here today so I'm hoping to get a dry spell to ride later. one horse has done 2 hard days in a row so I will only aim to do the other ;)

Mrs G

Visit site
Im really struggling. I posted recently saying I had sacrificed facilities for year round turn out and I dont have that either at the moment! Our fields are under water and it takes weeks for the water to drain away. Horse is in which he doesnt 'seem' to mind as long as he has plenty of hay. Stables are large but leak so mucking out is a big job and I'm getting through lots of bedding. I take him out 2/3 times a day to hand graze and he gets exercised (be it free schooled, lunged or ridden) every day. Its exhausting and I feel constantly guilty. I want the best for my horse and i feel im failing miserably. I cant do another winter like this.

AandK

Visit site
Fed up of the rain, although my field is not too bad considering, as soon as it starts to dry up we have more rain! Luckily I have a big field for my two who are out 24/7. My old boy (23) has had a run of abscesses this year, on no3 already! Can't be just because its wet as 7yo is fine... Going to get him tested for PPID. Although I am also fed up of not being able to ride as 7yo is recovering from a field injury, I am sort of glad as I wouldn't have been able to do much riding these last few weeks anyway!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Wanted to have a ride this morning as I'm going away for 4 days first thing tomorrow. It piddled down with high winds. That sums up this winter, I think...spent the time mucking out the shelter instead. Judging by the amount of wet in there they spent the whole night in, pissing merrily!!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Struggling here. It had started to dry up beautifully but now back to square one or even worse. So sorry for the horses struggling through deep going. We have got grass and only the pony on restricted grazing is getting any hay so I guess we are better off than a lot. So tiring wading across this boggy ground all the while.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I haven't ridden since last Saturday and I just cant face it in this torrential rain/ wind that could blow us to Oz. J wont mind the time off but I feel guilty for not doing much with him. I gave him a pamper yesterday and he seemed very pleased and content.

Hopefully next week is a bit drier.

vam

Visit site
Mine and one other are on less than an acre paddock, same one all year with not option to move. There is a 100 yard stretch to get to the field that is ankle deep mud, just like the gateway. The rest of field is very, very wet with little grass but lots of mud. A horse barged out of its stable and went up the track and set them all off charging round the fields and mine is now lame. I think this will be my last winter there but it's so hard to find anywhere else. It's heart breaking as I was finally back up and running with mine after a number of set back.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's sunny today but has rained all last night so field is like a lake in places, horses are out from 6am until about 8pm at the moment I don't really want them stood out in sodden wet ground as there feet are so soft already.

Mudfukkle

Visit site
I'm really fed up with all the wind and rain.
I have 3 out on just under 3 acres, and about half an acre of it is just poached mud :( I've given up poo picking, I can't even get the wheelbarrow out there, I will have the paddock harrowed and rolled in the spring.

I did invest in some Mud Control Mats this year, I'm so happy I did, mine have 3 feeding stations now, made from the Mud Mats. I just can't praise these enough, I go to work now much happier that they are eating their hay on dry ground. Hubby moaned about the cost of them, but they have been wonderful.
I don't have a field shelter, so they come in when it's windy and rainy, they seem to be managing, I just worry about mud fever and abscesses, so far ok with that (touches wood).
Roll on a good spell of dry weather pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
The big problem we have is clay mud ..individual tiny turn out paddocks and only plastic posts with intermittently working electricity through the tapes which blows over/away in the winds.....if the YO turns hers out they go in a large field which isn’t trashed but does not like anyone turning theirs out in the tiny paddocks because of the mud generated.

I am gritting my teeth trying to get through this time as I know it ll pass but my horses have never been on so little turnout and I’m concerned for their mental and physical well-being.

spugs

Visit site
I moved mine to full livery where the gateways and tracks are all hardcore and the school doesn’t freeze or flood. Best thing I could have done.

PurBee

Visit site
Its milder here today so warmer weather is on way to uk from the west.

Its been so sooooo cold. Fingers are white within minutes!

I bought some flower bulbs yesterday and am eager to get them going! Pom pom dahlias!
I made a promise last year to have some colour about the place...dahlia’s galore :)

The birds are singing more, surely thats a good sign spring is almost here..?

Its lovely to see the horses glowing when i spot them snoozing in the sun, after days of on/off rain theyre relieved its calmer today.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I had been starting to perk up a bit; field was drying up, managed to go out for some nice hacks, ponies were happier.

2 storms later and the field looks like a rice paddy plantation

I feel like whatever option I chose is bad in some way. Keeping in is bad for COPD, bad for arthritis, bad for their mental wellbeing.

Turning out means two slightly creaky veterans splashing around in deep, wet puddly mud with nothing to eat once they get through the vast amount of haylage I'm putting out, and I'm worried watching them slipping and sliding around. There is no good solution!!