How much are you paying for hay?

southerncomfort

Visit site
I, perhaps naively, thought that hay prices might be a bit lower as all the suppliers near me have had two really decent cuts this year. However, most of them seem to be charging the same as last year (£4.50 per bale).

Just wondering if it's the same around the UK..?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Sweeping statement but considering that most farmers seem to make a pittance for most of what they produce I would and am happily paying the same price as last year and allow them the bit of extra profit.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
NW Surrey: I paid £3.25 delivered into hay barn off the field when cut & baled earlier in summer.

Would expect to pay more now if from feed merchant or from farmer as they have had to store etc since baling :)

{123756}

Visit site
In Essex and we pay £5 a bale however its yard rules that they bulk buy it in and we have to buy it off them so the yard is making a profit off that aswell.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have just paid £5 for small bale, did have some delivered last year at £3.50 a bale but it wasn't great so more than happy to pay more for better quality.

Auslander

Visit site
£35 for 8ft bales. Most other places round here charge £40+, and their hay isn't as good. My supplier is also very good about delivering on the same day if I text him early enough. He also gets massive brownie points, related to my laminitic livery. If I have ordered two bales, and he thinks that what he's bringing is too good for her, he'll bring an older bale as well.
On one occasion, he rang me to say that as I'd probably forgotten it was a Bank Holiday weekend (I had), he was on his way over with a couple of bales, so that I didn't run out (which I would have!)!

DirectorFury

Visit site
I was paying £5 for a small bale and £40 for a round :(. She's on full livery now so I don't need to worry about it anymore :p.

Adding: These prices aren't for delivered bales. It's an extra £10-£30 (depending on location) if you wanted delivery and you've got to buy a minimum of 3 round bales if you do want delivery. It's a nightmare for people who don't have trailers or lorries.

meg456

Visit site
im paying £4 a bale from the yard/farm i keep my horse at.the YO grows, cuts and bales it himself. we all have to buy from him however a few weeks back i found large round bales for £20 but oviously not allowed it :) south wales

MissTyc

Visit site
£30 for large roundbales, delivered.

Paid the same when it was a bad year and farmer is great at trying to keep costs predictable (we buy 24 roundbales per month in winter, 6 in summer + straw -- he knows what annual order is and we're all on the same page)

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm always amazed at the difference in prices!

I have a friend in Newmarket and they pay £8 for a small bals!!

I normally buy off the field but couldn't manage it this year. :(

case895

Visit site
I'm always amazed at the difference in prices!

I have a friend in Newmarket and they pay £8 for a small bals!!

I normally buy off the field but couldn't manage it this year. :(

* Drops laptop on floor and runs outside to hitch the flatbed trailer and start loading small bales. *

Roanioponio

Visit site
How long does a round bale last 2 horses in a field anyone please? (Greedy horses!) I currently pay £12 a week per horse for ad lib hay or haylage which i think is fab no hassle getting in but have to lug it down field(long muddy walk) as they live out. Was thinking a round bale may just be easier!!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
We made our own last year, cost us £2.30 per bale. The hassle we had with the contractor wasn't worth the stress so we got it off the field from the neighbouring farm this year at £3.50.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
How long does a round bale last 2 horses in a field anyone please? (Greedy horses!) I currently pay £12 a week per horse for ad lib hay or haylage which i think is fab no hassle getting in but have to lug it down field(long muddy walk) as they live out. Was thinking a round bale may just be easier!!

I feed large square bale haylage in the field (round bales have problems with getting them to the field, unwrapping them and getting them into a big net while horses help!) With the square bales, they keep the wrapping and are just dumped. I have 2 pure-bred ID yearling colts going through a bale every 6 days, and two geriatric WBs who take 5. A group of 13 ID mares polish off a bale and a half a day. And 4 x 2&3 yo pure-bred fillies polish off a bale every 3 days.

To add - £29 a bale - delivered to the yard. After that it's my problem - and a 50hp tractor is essential for that - and even it's a bit small (you can end up on 2 wheels quite easily!)