how much can he happily carry?

fizz-tally

Visit site
P1010527.JPG

16.2hh id x tb,when holding a bit more weight in the summer looks like a nice middleweight hunter.

how much do we think he could carry?

it would be a good,well balanced rider
grin.gif

samsaccount

Visit site
Not too sure but my guess would be around 17 stone maybe a bit more? But I think horses can carry a lot more if the rider is balanced.

Pidge

Visit site
Sept06102.jpg

Pidge is 16.3hh IDxTB and carries me with no problem whatsoever, in fact sometimes he doesn't even seem to notice I'm there especially when jumping
grin.gif
I'm 5'6" and a size 16, don't know how heavy I am as I never get on the scales
blush.gif

Tia

Visit site
I think this is a poorly put together horse and because of that I wouldn't be happy putting too heavy a rider on it's back to be honest, regardless of whether they were well balanced or not. I would probably put a cut-off at somewhere around 11 or 12 stone.

fizz-tally

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a poorly put together horse and because of that I wouldn't be happy putting too heavy a rider on it's back to be honest, regardless of whether they were well balanced or not. I would probably put a cut-off at somewhere around 11 or 12 stone.

[/ QUOTE ]

would you care to explane how he is poorly put together?

it is not the best pic of him to be honest

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it is not the best pic of him to be honest

[/ QUOTE ]
I realise that but if you compare this horse with Sue1's horse I think you will see there is a big difference between the two. Sue's horse should be good for a top weight of at least 17 or 18 stone I would think, as he is such a nicely muscled and put together horse.

fizz-tally

Visit site
i know he needs muscle/top line etc etc but he doesnt hold weight in the winter

this pic was a few months ago
P1010471.JPG

i think he is better covered in this pic so looks better

Tia

Visit site
Whatever - you asked for opinions and I am just saying what I see - the reason for poor condition is not relevant; the fact that he isn't conditioned, is. What this horse may be capable of carrying once he is muscled up and toned may be different from what he is capable of carrying now - I thought that was what you were asking? What he could carry now and not in a years time?

GTs

Visit site
I do not agree with Tia - it is always tough to look at horses in the winter, especially when comparing it to a horse turned out for show. The flaw I noticed was how straight he was in the back legs, and his stance makes his front legs difficult to comment on.

But I think his conformation is a mute point - there are many horses with perfect conformation who have problems, and many horses with poor conformation who never take a lame step. If he has had no problems then the real questions is what is the rider going to do because eventing is going to require less weight then plodding around the countryside.

Blizzard

Visit site
7ft rug! Wow he is a big lad, beautiful though, i cant get over that lovely coat. he looks a million dollars!

hoo_ya in the 2nd pic he does look better, I think he takes more from his TB side than his ID. I know some horses look terrible in winter and lose everythign they had in the summer, and if he has been out of work for so long then he is bound to have lost muscle.

Do you need him to carry a large weight?

fizz-tally

Visit site
gt thank you very much, he will be hacking & the odd sjing class, thats it
grin.gif

he would be carrying 15 stone for maybe about 2 weeks max for 30 mins walk/trot while i am away

Blizzard

Visit site
If its short term and light exercise then Im sure he would be ok, it depends on the horse I think, and how unfit he is, is he tired after 30mins walking?

Personally, and Im in your situation, buying a horse in poor condition that has been out of work for half a year, I would rather just see him walked out in hand or lunged if it was my boy, but mine has lost a lot more muscle than yours.
smile.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Thanks, his coat is still like that now even after being clipped - all hail TopSpec!
Hoo_Ya if your horse loses condition in the winter have you tried him on TopSpec? Fab IMO.

fizz-tally

Visit site
hes been back in work for 4 months but the last few weeks hes dropped alot of weight,its been really cold on & off & he gets stressed very easily.

he doesnt get tired at all,i had been hacking him for over a hour a day 5 days a week & he gets very forward.

hoping that we will see a change in him once we change him to the soaked oat diet

Tia

Visit site
Oh my! What an amazing transformation - you have done a truly wonderful job - he looks terrific now Sue.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
gt thank you very much, he will be hacking & the odd sjing class, thats it
grin.gif

he would be carrying 15 stone for maybe about 2 weeks max for 30 mins walk/trot while i am away

[/ QUOTE ]

That is nothing - my penis weighs that much and my horses are always smaller. I say if he is healthy go for it.

icemaiden113

Visit site
He looks a cracking horse and i think he should carry anything up to 17/18 stone! I have a TB here 17hh whos owner weighs in at 16/17! Carries him hunting all day even tho he ain't fit! They are stronger animals than you think!

fizz-tally

Visit site
thank you
grin.gif

& before ANYONE says it,no i dont just want the "your horse is lovely " posts.

just dont see the need to rip someones much loved horse to bits without knowing all the facts
wink.gif