how much can he happily carry?

Tia

Visit site
Did you find that the oats put weight on PF? None of my horses have put any weight on; they have however remained totally stable. I wonder whether the reason for this is the temperature difference?

horsegirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
thank you
grin.gif

& before ANYONE says it,no i dont just want the "your horse is lovely " posts.

just dont see the need to rip someones much loved horse to bits without knowing all the facts
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people just like to pick at other's horses for the sake of being unpleasant. We don't all fantastically trained animals who have never put a foot wrong ever and do everything that is asked of them at once, all the time!!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Ah, well, she WAS rather thin and it was my objective to get her to put on weight; prior to soaked oats I considered her to be a poor doer as I fed lots and it didn't seem to make much difference. Now though, she is ridden every day and keeps a healthy weight on 3kg of soaked oats daily. FAR less than she ate before. Sooo, I would say oats did put the weight on her but perhaps it's not so much the 'calorie content' as the fact that she digests them more easily than the other feeds and so gets more out of them.
Perhaps the temperature has got something to do with it; it is, after all, much warmer here than in Canada, and yet SN/CN has found soaked oats very good at putting weight back on B.

I_A_P

Visit site
i dont think tia was being necessarily nasty at all, maybe she culd have phrased what she said a bit better thats all.....sirry thats all i have to add

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Some people just like to pick at other's horses for the sake of being unpleasant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really??! How horrible! Who??
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
We don't all fantastically trained animals who have never put a foot wrong ever and do everything that is asked of them at once, all the time!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually... *whispers* I think PF might be perfect!!!
Antifaz, on the other hand, can be a git!

Pidge

Visit site
hoo-ya have you tried their super conditioning flakes, they are very good and not heating (well they didn't on Pidge!)

fizz-tally

Visit site
not yet,will be trying the oat diet 1st & if that doesnt work i will see what else we can try,hes so fussy about food,total nightmare.

the only feed we can get him to eat at the moment is pasture mix/hi fi & speedibeet
frown.gif
not what i really want to feed him but never mind
smile.gif

Pidge

Visit site
He'd be no good for you PF as he is most definately absolutely 100% in BLUE
wink.gif
Not a hint of pink anywhere I'm afraid
grin.gif
Blue rugs, headcollars, the nearest thing to pink is my burgundy box
grin.gif

Pidge

Visit site
hoo-ya some of the topspec is way different taste wise to other types as my sister horse loves the top spec feed balancer or leisure time but hates the antilam! I can definately recommend TS for putting the weight and condition on as you can see from what Pidge looked like when I first got him. If you mix the speedibeet in with the other feed will he eat it then? What about putting some garlic in his feed to disguise the smell? Pidge has wormers etc in his feed as he loves it that much he eats it all regardless of what other bits are in there. Has his teeth been done as Pidge were horrendous so his food wasn't beingdigested properly?

Pidge

Visit site
don't worry your secret is safe
wink.gif
mind you I must admit to rather liking the padded headcollar that was on here recently with the pink underneath the browband and noseband but hey Pidge is a boy afterall! Do they do them in other colours? was it an elevator?

fizz-tally

Visit site
teeth are due in jan so will be donne then.

he is very very good at sussing out the fact the fed is different,we left 3 feed buckets in his stable, 1 had his normal feed,1 had some oil with the normal feed he gets & 1 had his normal feed with topspec. he sniffed all 3 buckets but only ate the 1st bucket that had his normal feed
smirk.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
don't worry your secret is safe
wink.gif
mind you I must admit to rather liking the padded headcollar that was on here recently with the pink underneath the browband and noseband but hey Pidge is a boy afterall! Do they do them in other colours? was it an elevator?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, the CotswoldSport bridle that Weezy's got (and I covet in pink, although now I think it might be too bulky for PF's little head!) it is indeed an elevator/comfort bridle and they also do it in BLUE!!!!!

Irishcobs

Visit site
If he eats speedibeet have you tried Fibrebeet? Its made by the same company as speedibeet but is conditioning. Just a thought.

Pidge

Visit site
Tricky eh! Glad Pidge is like a hoover
wink.gif
If you speak to them at topspec they could send you some samples of what they have on offer so you can try them as there is a big difference in taste with the feed balancers. See if you can get a sample of the super conditioning flakes I'd be surprised if he turned his nose up at them, even I would be tempted as they smell sooooooo nice.
When was the last time he had his teeth done?

Pidge

Visit site
bugger I knew it, can't possibly get another one as he has 2 ordinary elevators already one for normal and one for shows and a very very sexy elevator double bridle with no throatlash and white piping on which looks soooooo good on him. Will have to get a picture of him wearing it me thinks.

Pidge

Visit site
mmm if teeth only done 6 months ago difficult. I'm no expert by a long way but have you spoken to your vet as there must be a reason for the weight loss?

fizz-tally

Visit site
vet thinks its the fact he is a very stressy horse,the person before me who owned him moved him 7 times in the year she had him, resulting in him fretting about change
mad.gif

he is fine out hacking by himself but when other horses come out he winds himself up,resulting in us returning to the yard dripping in sweat,he never sweats when on his own
frown.gif

thanks for all the help
grin.gif

Rockchick_uk

s11.invisionfree.com
I am actually shocked at this post.

I think the horse in question looks fine for this time of the year. Any experienced TB owner knows that a high percentage of this breed are prone to loose weight in the winter . As she said she has only owned him 4 months for gods sake!

I see no problem with this horse and Tia i do think you were harsh with your comments, not every horse is perfect and god forbid that they all were!.

At the end of the day a question was asked, you answered, is there really any need to continue the bitching?

fizz-tally

Visit site
thank you very much
smile.gif

i guess unless you meet him in the flesh you will have to go by my rubbish pic as to how he looks
grin.gif

funny thing is my ex racer has put on more weight than jay has lol

i thank EVERYONE for there imput & comments
grin.gif

Nailed

Visit site
ok.. i weight just short of 14 stone and I have a 16.1hh TB who i ride with no hassel so he will carry more than that!
Ted is Carpal valgus, he has cow hocks, he has a goood sloping shoulder, long hindlegs, short cannons long forearms (hes a racer). Tendon damage on one fore limb and lymphangitus behind and he is still sound!

Lou x