How Much????

Palindrome

Visit site
I think the twisted pelvis is a physio wording, not an actual medical condition. Was it diagnosed by a vet or physio?
My horse's physio has "adjusted" her pelvis when she thought her hips weren't sitting level. I don't think the pelvis can actually be twisted though.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think the twisted pelvis is a physio wording, not an actual medical condition. Was it diagnosed by a vet or physio?
My horse's physio has "adjusted" her pelvis when she thought her hips weren't sitting level. I don't think the pelvis can actually be twisted though.

In relation to the rest of the body, of course it can. I've seen two like it for years, unable to be corrected by any manipulation. Both horses would fail a vet.

This horse has had colic surgery, been hoisted by her legs onto an operating table and then into a recovery room, and who knows what she did as she came round. If the twisted pelvis relates to the timing of the colic surgery I'd be even more concerned about it.

Has there been any known incident OP? Was the timing from the colic surgery, or there before?

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
a grand-I would hope that owners would gift her but given she's had colic surgery (biggest issue for me) and she's 13, no more than a grand (because I think all horses should have a basic value). she sounds like a walking vet's bill if as described.

Flyermc

Visit site
Most horses can jump anything up to a metre, it's the riders that can't ! (Including me now I'm old!)

Im not convinced flyer would be too pleased to do a course of jumps at 1m, im guessing it would include jump fillers (that he hates) and doubles etc, etc. Im not saying he wouldnt, but he'd be very unlikely to do it without alot of encouragement and i doubt would particularly enjoy it.

Anyway, going off topic!

OP if she's the right horse for you, she'll be worth every penny!!

Frumpoon

Visit site
Stiff in trot with a twisted pelvis and cantering disunited? Surely you are joking? Practically any horse can jump 90cm.

Define twisted pelvis

Yes lots of horses can jump one fence of 90cm, a lot less can jump a course of 90cm with twists, turns, doubles and skinnies

A horse than can commands a premium

Last edited:

Ballerina

Visit site
All this stuff that's wron with her never happened with me and I've never had any problems with her whilst in my care, her striding is more floating and tracks up very well, in canter she's starting to sway her back and engaging hindquarters properly also staying in an outline, all of this I've achieved from her, she was working the opposite when I first got her

millitiger

Visit site
Without an actual diagnosis of the pelvis, no one on here can really comment imo.
Physios use this terminology so frequently and loosely without explaining what they actually mean, as well as frequently hearing about pelvises which are 'out'

Disregarding that issue as we don't know the details, the mare is easily worth £2k with her jumping and schoolmistress experience (op is more novice and mare is taking her around 90cm courses easily and confidently).
The slight quirks of hacking etc are fairly common with higher level comp horses and again, may be less of an issue for an experienced rider.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Without an actual diagnosis of the pelvis, no one on here can really comment imo.
Physios use this terminology so frequently and loosely without explaining what they actually mean, as well as frequently hearing about pelvises which are 'out'

Disregarding that issue as we don't know the details, the mare is easily worth £2k with her jumping and schoolmistress experience (op is more novice and mare is taking her around 90cm courses easily and confidently).
The slight quirks of hacking etc are fairly common with higher level comp horses and again, may be less of an issue for an experienced rider.

This

Regandal

Visit site
I bought my old boy from our YO. An 11 year old experienced, mannerly hunter. 17.2 hh of rippling, gorgeous ISH, fabulous horse. I got him for £600 as 'he won't pass the vet'. Luckily, he didn't break, but I don't think I'd take that chance again. Please get this mare vetted.

Casey76

Visit site
I wouldn't buy her based upon the previous colic surgery. What type of colic did she have, what kind and how extensive a surgery, how much intestine was removed (if any).

Personally I wouldn't buy anything with current and ongoing problems. The purchase price is just the beginning - why buy something with issues, when you could buy something without?

Corbie

Visit site
What would you want to get out of a horse of your own? You have a bond with her which is obviously based on some of her attributes which you like. So she has some issues, but tbh looking at horses priced around this amount of money they all have something less than desirable. She's still relatively young and if you aren't wanting a competition winner, but she fits the bill in other ways.....she is surely worth at least £1500 from What you describe.

TTK

Visit site
I wouldn't buy her based upon the previous colic surgery. What type of colic did she have, what kind and how extensive a surgery, how much intestine was removed (if any).
I agree with Casey. I would never buy a horse that has had colic surgery. Why not just continue to loan the horse. If she is unsaleable, then you can continue as you are.

ycbm

Visit site

Well that would be one way to kill the forum :)

Or we could all take the OP at her word that the horse has, for a long time, and therefore presumably permanently, a pelvis where one hip bone is noticeably either further forward, or higher, or both, than the other.

That would be a lot more fun, wouldn't it? It would allow us all to discuss the implications of that.

Personally, I would not buy a horse with this condition and I would not use a vet who would pass a horse with this condition for eventing. I've seen only two and both were crocks at eight years old.

I wouldn't buy one that's had colic surgery, or nasty to handle on the ground, or a 'nut job' to hack either. I'm both fascinated and shocked by how many people on the forum say they/other people would buy all those problems in one horse, on the strength that it currently jumps 80/90cm nicely. Back in my days of selling, that was the minimum anyone expected of a riding club level horse.

I hope to goodness that the OP has the horse vetted, though she's gone silent after getting the information of how much it's going cost.

OP will you please keep us updated?

Last edited:

Ballerina

Visit site
She might not be everyone's taste of horse but she is mine, I have mc Timothy chiropractor out to see her on regular visits and for what I want to do with the horse is fine and she's in no pain , yes one hip is higher then the other and been like that a long time. I will keep u all updated.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If she's a really school mistress and capable of doing her job, health issues which are managed are often expected and they still command a highish value compared to another horse which hasn't got the competition record.

Personally I wouldn't vet her, far better to save the £250 and tell yourself she will be yours until she's not able to live happily and that's the pts fund.

They probably want absolved of the responsibility of her so tell them you love her and would love to own her but re the health issues blah blah and hopefully they may suggest a low sale price to make it official. You can always up your offer so don't go in guns blazing.

Ballerina

Visit site
If she's a really school mistress and capable of doing her job, health issues which are managed are often expected and they still command a highish value compared to another horse which hasn't got the competition record.

Personally I wouldn't vet her, far better to save the £250 and tell yourself she will be yours until she's not able to live happily and that's the pts fund.

They probably want absolved of the responsibility of her so tell them you love her and would love to own her but re the health issues blah blah and hopefully they may suggest a low sale price to make it official. You can always up your offer so don't go in guns blazing.

This this idea

ycbm

Visit site
FW that strategy is fine for you. You own land and you have multiple horses around. It's fine for me to, I would probably put the horse down if she become unable to work.

OP, if you decide to take FW's advice and buy unvetted, I'd advise you to ask yourself how many years you would be prepared to keep her as a paddock ornament if she becomes unsound. Or whether you would be prepared to put down a horse whose only real problem is that it can't be ridden.

You might need to bear in mind also that she is probably uninsurable for any problem relating to her digestive system or any hind limb lameness.

It's clear how much you love her, and she's a very lucky girl to have you.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I would get a vetting done before agreeing a price. I would want to talk to the vet about the previous colic and how likely it is to reoccur. Otherwise, she could easily be worth £2k but easily could be worth less. If she isn't sound, there is no way she's worth that.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If you pay hundreds not thousands for her and are willing to pts rather than keep as an unsound pet what have you got to lose. You'd have to realise she could go on for a year or five doing the job you want her for (or a month!) but that's the risk you take with any horse. Will the out come of the vetting change your mind that is the question to ask yourself. If it would then yes, vet her. If you are having her regardless I don't see the point of spending 250 on something that's only going tell you the horse is a horse that needs special care.

An insurance exclusion like this one would be worth having if she didn't cost the earth. It costs 400 a year to insure a 2k horse after all! It depends how much you value what she gives you as to what you are willing to pay for it and likely not get back.

Really tho you can't sink any amount of money into a horse and expect to break even down the line. You are lucky if you do and even luckier if you have anything you can remotely call a profit. Some you win some you lose that is horses however many vettings and x rays you do!