How Much????

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The only thing you can use a failed vetting for is a bargaining chip if they want a lot of money for her. Really you're going to have to take the bull by the er horns. Or just let sleeping dogs lie and hope you can keep her long term on loan.

npage123

Visit site
The only thing you can use a failed vetting for is a bargaining chip if they want a lot of money for her. Really you're going to have to take the bull by the er horns. Or just let sleeping dogs lie and hope you can keep her long term on loan.

I agree with FfionWinnie.

Also bear in mind that the ongoing upkeep/maintenance of a horse to a good standard (think livery cost, feed, bedding, vaccinations, saddler, farrier, equine dentist, any other form of therapeutic treatment etc) and surprisingly soon you'll overtake the buying cost of a horse, even if you paid thousands for it. And that's for a horse without any medical problems.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

If the vet tells you you'd be mad to buy her because she is already lame, you can use a failed vetting to avoid a VERY expensive and emotionally upsetting mistake.

be positive

Visit site
Are you really thinking of spending two thousand pounds on a horse that you don't believe will pass a vet?

If you don't believe she will pass the vetting then there is no point in having one, the logic is flawed if your decision to buy will be based on the result of the vetting.

In some ways the mare may be worth £2k but with her many "faults" she is equally completely worthless, to the OP she may have a "value" but if she were mine and I was prepared to sell her on rather than loan, then I would gift her to the OP and hope she never got passed on but in reality I would not sell if she were mine.

Ballerina

Visit site
I'm happy to keep loaning as she's doing the job I'm asking of her and she loves work. She likes routine and that's what she's got with me. No I wouldn't pay £2000 for a horse with problems that's y I came on here to find out what price horses sell with her history. This post has gone from asking what price to twisted pelvis to vetting lol , madness 😂

ycbm

Visit site
I'm happy to keep loaning as she's doing the job I'm asking of her and she loves work. She likes routine and that's what she's got with me. No I wouldn't pay £2000 for a horse with problems that's y I came on here to find out what price horses sell with herhistory. This post has gone from asking what price to twisted pelvis to vetting lol , madness ��

But you posted a few posts ago that you were going to go back to the owners and offer £1000 -£2000

Then you posted she won't pass a vet. That's the madness, not the advice you've had on this thread!

You love the horse. If you can afford it and the bills it may throw at you, just buy it.

I stick by my first post, it's not, imo, worth more than meat money, from the information that you have given.

only_me

Visit site
Yes lots of horses can jump one fence of 90cm, a lot less can jump a course of 90cm with twists, turns, doubles and skinnies

A horse than can commands a premium

I would expect any horse to be able to jump a course of 90cm. Including doubles etc.

I would expect a 4 year old horse to pop round a course of 90cm. I wouldn't expect to jump any skinnier unless winged and more experienced/end of year and also with minimal fillers, but jumping a course isn't a difficult task. Obviously it will not be perfect but 90cm isn't big and shouldn't Be an issue.

Tbh I'd be wary of a horse that couldn't jump a course of 90cm, unless injury etc. I expect even valegro could jump a course of 90cms!

I definitely don't agree that there is a premium on those that can jump a course of 90cms - unless a true schoolmaster and those are very rare.

LadySam

Visit site
Really tho you can't sink any amount of money into a horse and expect to break even down the line. You are lucky if you do and even luckier if you have anything you can remotely call a profit. Some you win some you lose that is horses however many vettings and x rays you do!

Profit? What is this profit you speak of? ;)

Going back to your original question, OP, what would I pay for her? Objectively, not knowing this horse - more than meat money, but not much more. In your shoes? Double meat money, maybe up to 1K (but would keep that to myself when negotiating).

2K is a bit high for this one, I think. Hard to say not seeing it, of course. You say the owners love her and think she's worth her weight in gold, so I expect the asking price is rather influenced by that. You have a good case for keeping the price low, given her faults. As FW said, the inability to pass a vetting is a bargaining chip.

Last edited:

Frumpoon

Visit site
I would expect any horse to be able to jump a course of 90cm. Including doubles etc.

I would expect a 4 year old horse to pop round a course of 90cm. I wouldn't expect to jump any skinnier unless winged and more experienced/end of year and also with minimal fillers, but jumping a course isn't a difficult task. Obviously it will not be perfect but 90cm isn't big and shouldn't Be an issue.

Tbh I'd be wary of a horse that couldn't jump a course of 90cm, unless injury etc. I expect even valegro could jump a course of 90cms!

I definitely don't agree that there is a premium on those that can jump a course of 90cms - unless a true schoolmaster and those are very rare.

I went out on Tuesday, first competitive outing of the year, first class 70cm and of 20 starters there was one clear

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Profit? What is this profit you speak of? ;)

Going back to your original question, OP, what would I pay for her? Objectively, not knowing this horse - more than meat money, but not much more. In your shoes? Double meat money, maybe up to 1K (but would keep that to myself when negotiating).

2K is a bit high for this one, I think. Hard to say not seeing it, of course. You say the owners love her and think she's worth her weight in gold, so I expect the asking price is rather influenced by that. You have a good case for keeping the price low, given her faults. As FW said, the inability to pass a vetting is a bargaining chip.

I went out on Tuesday, first competitive outing of the year, first class 70cm and of 20 starters there was one clear

Exactly, I was going to say that most ua jumping will show a lot of horses that can't /won't go clear at 60 let alone 90

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Surely she has a very limited market, so that gives you bargaining power. I know I wouldn't buy one that has had colic surgery.

If she won't pass a vetting, I wouldn't buy, sorry. But that's just one point of view.
Hope it all works out for you, OP.

ycbm

Visit site
Exactly, I was going to say that most ua jumping will show a lot of horses that can't /won't go clear at 60 let alone 90

That's the riders, not the horses!

I love seeing people out and about doing stuff like this and W&T dressage tests, but I'm surprised by the low expectations of many horse buyers these days.

IMO, there's nothing special about a horse which can jump two foot nine. Before I gave up selling the odd one or two, it was simply expected that any horse sold as a riding cub level horse would jump a course at two foot nine. At shows, there was no class lower that two foot nine. That's also why 1m 10 at BE is called 'Novice', it was considered the beginner's class, there was no 80, 90 or 100.

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
That's the riders, not the horses!

I love seeing people out and about doing stuff like this and W&T dressage tests, but I'm surprised by the low expectations of many horse buyers these days.

IMO, there's nothing special about a horse which can jump two foot nine. Before I gave up selling the odd one or two, it was simply expected that any horse sold as a riding cub level horse would jump a course at two foot nine. At shows, there was no class lower that two foot nine. That's also why 1m 10 at BE is called 'Novice', it was considered the beginner's class, there was no 80, 90 or 100.

But I think that's the point - there's a big difference between a horse that can physically get round a 90 course and one that will take a rider round. The latter is what people are actually looking for

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The other point is with a horse like this you are paying for what it has done and can do for you. You might not have it for a long time and you might have to spend a fortune maintaining it so it can do it for you, but if you want one that is going to do this job and have no issues then you are looking at 20k + If you can even find one. Some of us cannot afford the perfect school master and along with that, someone needs to give these horses a nice life so as long as the op doesn't bankrupt herself buying it and is financially able to either keep it as a pet or draw the line on spending and have it pts if it's not able to do it any more or say it colics badly again then I don't see the harm.

One of my most expensive horses which was vetted has been the biggest disaster I've ever owned. Most of them I have not vetted. In fact the only ones who have had issues have been vetted so it doesn't stop you having problems down the line.

I'm not saying don't vet it I'm saying balance up what it's going to change. 250 would pay half the insurance for a year and yes a lot will be excluded but there are loads of things that horses can do to themselves that won't be excluded or it's the disposal cost covered.

Good luck op. Let us know what happens.

I have a former 1.40 pro SJer and despite the fact he's a self harming warmblood idiot with a distinct lack of self preservation or many signs of intelligence who is permanently sure he is starving to death, I've also had the best times jumping him round 60cms (and occasionally higher!) and prancing around on him having fun!

ycbm

Visit site
But I think that's the point - there's a big difference between a horse that can physically get round a 90 course and one that will take a rider round. The latter is what people are actually looking for

Any rider can stop a horse jumping. A horse that won't stop after being ridden for six months with someone with no jumping skill/courage at all would be so rare it may as well have wings.(and how would you prove it?) There's no suggestion that this horse is one of those, is there? I suspect the rider is simply a perfectly competent rider for 90cm.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Any rider can stop a horse jumping. A horse that won't stop after being ridden for six months with someone with no jumping skill/courage at all would be so rare it may as well have wings.(and how would you prove it?) There's no suggestion that this horse is one of those, is there? I suspect the rider is simply a perfectly competent rider for 90cm.

Sorry, was talking generally, not really about this horse...don't know how much would be reasonable for this horse - I wouldn't buy nor sell such a horse so have no point of reference.
Generally, horse's who know what they are doing jumping wise and will be forgiving of a few mistakes will allow a rider to develop their confidence and technique far quicker than a green or intolerant jumping horse.
My big lad for example has jumped 1m showjumping tracks in a competitive environment with me, but I would not sell him as a horse to jump 90cm tracks on. Not because of the height (they're barely worth lifting his legs for), but because he has a pathological fear of coloured poles so is not much use as a show jumping horse.
I don't know about this horse, but I do know that there is a considerable value placed in showjumping schoolmasters, mostly for people who will never jump them above 1.05

Whoopit

Visit site
You mention you've spent a fortune on a saddle for her - if they didn't sell her to you they can't include the saddle you've bought in the sale anyway - you have proof of purchase so it's rightfully yours.

It's only worth what someone will pay for it so pick your figure and stick to it - ppl do this with loan horses all the time. Let someone get attached to it then decide a high price and effectively try to hold it to ransom because of the bond formed.

eggs

Visit site
On the open market I would not think this horse is worth much more than meat money but it does depend on what she is worth to the OP as to what she offers the owner.

Many years ago when I was looking to buy a horse my instructor advised that any horse should be capable of jumping round a 3' track and doing a medium level dressage test. I think expectations these days are much lower - as it is the standard of riding of a lot of people.

Nici

Visit site
Fingers crossed, they might lower the price for you, Ballerina. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't go straight to you but offered the horse to somebody else first. :confused3:

Many years ago when I was looking to buy a horse my instructor advised that any horse should be capable of jumping round a 3' track and doing a medium level dressage test. I think expectations these days are much lower - as it is the standard of riding of a lot of people.

Thank you for that tip, eggs, I'll bear that in mind when I look for a horse of my own. :thumbup:

paddi22

Visit site
If I were in your shoes I'd pay the £2k and count my lucky stars I'd got such a good quality horse

but she is not a good quality horse, even two or three of those issues would be enough to knock the price down to about 1000k and thats being generous. in ireland a horse like that would go for about 800 euro, and the seller would be delighted.

Picture them trying to sell it to a new potential buyer. they walk in and see her weaving in stable, they get on and feel she's spooky, she disunites when cantered, they try and hack her and its a nightmare. she is not an easy sell. they sellers should be delighted she has a chance at a good home.

windand rain

Visit site
i agree with those saying she is pretty worthless to most people so I too think she should be gifted to you for a token sum

only_me

Visit site

But I would suspect that is due to riders rather than horses.
And I didn't mean a horse would jump clear every single time at 90cms, but I would expect them to jump 90% clear and be able to cope with doing a course tbh, even without much schooling. but I still maintain that every horse should be able to jump 90cm courses, it's not big!

But I'm from NI so maybe expect more from horses. A horse that couldn't jump 90cms would be worth very little here! But then also don't understand why people have to "teach" a horse to jump, surely they know already lol. School them over courses and fillers, but to actually teach a horse to jump a single fence?!

Casey76

Visit site
But I would suspect that is due to riders rather than horses.
And I didn't mean a horse would jump clear every single time at 90cms, but I would expect them to jump 90% clear and be able to cope with doing a course tbh, even without much schooling. but I still maintain that every horse should be able to jump 90cm courses, it's not big!

But I'm from NI so maybe expect more from horses. A horse that couldn't jump 90cms would be worth very little here! But then also don't understand why people have to "teach" a horse to jump, surely they know already lol. School them over courses and fillers, but to actually teach a horse to jump a single fence?!

Some horses are natural jumpers, others, not so much.

Clodagh

Visit site
I see no point in getting her vetted - she will fail. I would buy her for what you feel happy with, have fun with her and love her and then have her PTS when she goes wrong.

I would also expect any horse to be able to jump 3', they can trot over that. Even cobs...(LOL!).

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I don't see the point in a 5 star either -she'll fail and insurance wise she'll be excluded for colic anyway for starters. if you vet her and intend to insure, you'll just be excluded for anything else they pick up on.

ycbm

Visit site
I agree. A vetting is pointless for anyone determined to buy a horse at any cost.

They are only useful as a negotiating chip if you aren't prepared to walk away if the vet advises you to.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I agree with above, if the horse is as you describe it will fail and the vet will advise you that as well as the horse's current issues she is likely to suffer from deteriorating health and the colic surgery could well come back to bite.
Not worth the vetting money - if you're determined to buy her then save the money for the first vet bill.