How Much????

Frumpoon

Visit site
But I would suspect that is due to riders rather than horses.
And I didn't mean a horse would jump clear every single time at 90cms, but I would expect them to jump 90% clear and be able to cope with doing a course tbh, even without much schooling. but I still maintain that every horse should be able to jump 90cm courses, it's not big!

But I'm from NI so maybe expect more from horses. A horse that couldn't jump 90cms would be worth very little here! But then also don't understand why people have to "teach" a horse to jump, surely they know already lol. School them over courses and fillers, but to actually teach a horse to jump a single fence?!

Ok I'm sure you're right

claret09

Visit site
if you know her well and wouldn't want to be without then go for it. I bought my boy at 10 - he is very quirky (read difficult) - but he chose me - he is difficult to load, won't hack (roads are rubbish round here so not bothered), is opinionated, thinks he is in charge, gets very nervous and anxious when any thing changes, looks to me for reassurance all the time, he cost me £1,000 - he is beautifully bred and we have had a huge amount of fun over the years - I refuse to not go out because he can be tricky - he is 17.2 - far too big but I love him and wouldn't be without him - I have had him nearly 11 years - the best decision I ever made

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've been cross country a few times with my mare now and after a jump she gallops off with head really low and it's so hard slow down or pull up for the next jump that I'm then out of control, she's had teeth done ect. She's ridden in a single jointed cherry roller in show jumping and schooling wit a flash.
Any ideas what bit to use for xc please

Ballerina, you've just started a thread with this. I'm assuming it's the same horse.

This is a fairly typical pain response. Twisted pelvis, disunited in canter. Doesn't school in a dressage legal snaffle. The more you write, the less this horse is worth.

I also think you should ask a vet to look her over, irrespective of the issue of buying her.

ycbm

Visit site
How is it a pain response to gallop between cross country fences?

Horses in pain often land and then shoot off. Especially the ones which have been really good, reliable jumpers. It's not in them to refuse, so they jump anyway, land and run away from the pain.

Palindrome

Visit site
Horses in pain often land and then shoot off. Especially the ones which have been really good, reliable jumpers. It's not in them to refuse, so they jump anyway, land and run away from the pain.
OK but perfectly healthy well schooled cross country horses do gallop between fences. OP said that horse has been cleared by physio and twisted pelvis thing was prior to her riding the horse. Plus she has recently had problems with the saddle which have now been sorted (that could have caused the disuniting in canter if for example saddle was too long, although it is not clear if that also happened prior to OP riding the horse). I think we don't really have enough information to tell anything.

Leo Walker

Visit site
For a video you can put the link to You Tube.

Photos is easiest if you upload them to Photobucket and copy the link here.

You can also use Facebook etc. Right click the photo, select copy image address and paste it between
with no spaces

ycbm

Visit site
OK but perfectly healthy well schooled cross country horses do gallop between fences. OP said that horse has been cleared by physio and twisted pelvis thing was prior to her riding the horse. Plus she has recently had problems with the saddle which have now been sorted (that could have caused the disuniting in canter if for example saddle was too long, although it is not clear if that also happened prior to OP riding the horse). I think we don't really have enough information to tell anything.

I've seen a horse with kissing spines so bad she was immediately put to sleep who was cleared days before by a physio. It means nothing.

Of course horses gallop between cross country fences -that's the very definition of cross country!!

The OP is posting about being out of control. Landing and galloping off out of control is often a pain response. It may not be, but with this mare's history it should, imo, be checked out before putting stronger bits in her mouth.

Of course we don't know enough to tell what the problem is, and neither does the loaner. That's the very reason why pain should be ruled out for this horse, who has issues schooling on the flat, jumping and hacking and a long term known physical abnormality with the pelvis and with a stiff hind leg gait.

What objection would you have to a vet checking this horse over?

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
yep i have had two with kissing spine who were strong xc. One loved jumping so much the adrenaline seemed to mask the pain for him, so I didn't spot the issue for ages as he was doing well competing. He would run flat and forward after fences. I assume now it was because he found it easy to run on his forehand than collect back weight on his hocks.

the more you describe thishorse there is no way it is worth anything close to the price the owners think.