How often do you review how much your horse costs?

DD265

Visit site
I was going to post on here asking for advice on how I might be able to reduce how much I pay for my horse each month, until I realised that my answer to everything would be "but it works so well for us, I don't want to change it". I can afford everything as is, but when there's talk of adding two new supplements to his diet... Well at some point I will need to draw a line.

So out of interest; do you ever sit down and look at where you might be able to save a bit of money?

9tails

Visit site
Short answer is never. I use wood pellets because I like them, I feed my horse what she needs. She gets rugs when she requires them, farrier when he's due, vet when necessary etc. I'm on DIY livery.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ummm
Not often! Because of this ;)

my answer to everything would be "but it works so well for us, I don't want to change it".

I HAVE swapped bedding to wood pellets, delivered by the pallet load this year. That has given me about a 50% saving in terms of cost and size of muck heap. But I don't skimp on feed/hay costs - I think up to a point you get back what you put in. TBH I've always kept horses on a budget so most things are as cheap as they can be anyway, unless I have to buy some new tack/rugs etc (in which case I find that top quality pays for itself quite quickly).

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes, every year; our horses are part of our business so every penny is accounted for (including their share of the electricity, water, etc.). If ours aren't at least covering their costs they don't stay for long.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I keep a spreadsheet, coz they break my bank. I have about 100 left a month for me. But worked out if I didn't have horses My monthly bills would be less than 250. I'd be.Soooo rich

blitznbobs

Visit site
Never. If they need stuff they get it. Tbh if I want stuff I get it... I work hard, they are my only indulgence - admittedly a big one but stuff the cost... If I analysed it I would be depressed. I have no debt except a mortgage I earn v good money... Why not spend on what I love?

kassieg

Visit site
I do keep a note of costs, but they get what they need.

I feed adlib hay/hayledge tailored to each horses needs & also hay in the fields in the winter.

I am on woodpellets to ease mucking out more than anything, I have 3 & a full time job & it takes me the same amount of time to muck out 3 on woodpellets than it did to do 1 on straw !!

They get alfa & vitamin supplement & my eventer also gets horse & pony nuts & Naf EnerG

They are spoilt!!

But I never spoil myself so they get most of my money :p

I dread to add up my competition fees !!!

TeamChaser

Visit site
I once had a market research company call me up and ask this very question! So she starts her questionnaire asking me how much on average I spend per month on this, that and the other and I totted up in my head roughly as we went. I got to approaching £10k for the year which frankly made my bloody eyes water!! I stopped counting!
It was a pretty extensive questionnaire and I do have 2 but even so .... ��

Polos Mum

Visit site
I have had several periods of my life when my horse has cost close to twice my mortgage! (out BE a lot and lessons etc inbetween vs an interest only mortgage!)
now they are at home, we make our own hay, they don't do enough work to need hard feed and are barefoot (for their benefit but there are cost benefits) so I think if you skip the cost of mortgage on the property less than £300 each per year!

glamourpuss

Visit site
I try to review things pretty regularly. I'm not very good with money & usually after a couple of 'too much month not enough pay packet' I tend to have a look at what I've been frivolous with.
My horses want for nothing but I know I can be silly & waste money so reviewing stuff usually curbs this.....particularly important with the BE season about to start!

eggs

Visit site
I don't review my costs - it would be too scary. I do use wood pellet bedding as I buy a pallet at a time. It is a very cost festive bedding, quick to mck out and creates a small muck heap (I have to pay to have it taken away).

I have stopped feeding all supplements and can honestly say I haven't noticed a difference.

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
Oh I'm going to hang my head in shame, I have a monthly horse budget - livery, farrier, supplements, massage, etc etc but I do have 3 so got to control costs somehow .. but I do have a "nice things for pony" budget. Its in a spreadsheet with food budget, bills, going out money (which is usually the scraps left over) and I reconcile it to my bank every week!

So I regularly add it up, review it - and guess what? I don't care!

Who can guess what I do for a living!!!!!

Firefly9410

Visit site
I have a yearly review because wasting money is irritating. Although things might be working for us as they are, it is all too easy to find myself buying all kinds of things that are not really needed. I do have some indulgences with spare cash but I like my basic budget to be reasonable. I made a lot of changes a few years ago and now I have two horses for little more than it was costing to keep one. I would spend an insane amount on my horses if I did not keep myself in check!

honetpot

Visit site
Yep, all the time. I check prices of basics, look for end of season clear out hay, buy wormers in bulk, and 'tart' round for everything. I have eleven so making sure I get the best deal means I keep these lot on probably what someone would spend on to or three. I save on vets fees by having students gain experience on them and I would say I only pay full price for the farrier. Rugs are bought out of season, or FGS, last seasons colours, all tack unless its something special is second hand but best quality.
There is no virtue in spending more than you have to.

marmalade76

Visit site
I never really work out what I spend, as others have said, it's best not to know sometimes (and certainly not good for the OH to know!) but I do shop around for things, buy a lot of second hand stuff and if there's anything suitable for my animals on the half price pallet in Countrywide I have it :)

flirtygerty

Visit site
Not having a fancy salary coming in now and having four, I have had to be aware of what I spend on the horses and cars and it scared me, I used to buy new rugs for the two oldies every couple of months, just because they trash them within a week, saw a bridle I liked and would get it and not think twice, now the two that need rugged are wearing rugs with very little fronts left, cut up an old rug for patches and ended up sticking my fingers to the rug, I have silly things that they never use, like bandages, travel boots etc, but it has been my wake up call

pinkypug1

Visit site
My mare is currently costing me The same as my mortgage per month as she with a pro being schooled. I'm on maternity pay :( needless to say my kids, hubby & I are on bread & water!! Roll on April for grass turnout & cheaper livery!!

aussierider

Visit site
I spend a lot of money on my horses. They are not insured so all my vet bills are out of my pocket. I spend most of my money on them, and I think I would be horrified to know exactly how much I spend monthly. I tend to buy them whatever they need and always get them the best food etc. I do take note of any fortnights where I spend so much on them that that fortnights paycheck because that's always a worry :)

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Every month, but that is just how I work. I keep records for everything and review costs for everything at the end of the month (including my daughter!). Doesn't mean I necessarily choose the cheapest option or don't buy extras and treats, I just know that I have made that decision and that I am spending my money on the extras and treats that I choose. It also meant I could help justify financially to OH moving to a house with land and having my horse at home, including getting a pony for my daughter.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I keep a spread sheet of all my monthly bills so I can keep an eye on my overall outgoings and use it to review things like House Insurance, car insurance etc. I transfer more than I need to cover main monthly bills into my "horse" account and then try to stick to buying extras out of that pot. It doesn't always work though!

I don't believe in buying cheap as IME you get what you pay for on the whole and would not skimp on hay or feed quality. A couple of friends decided to use another hay supplier recently and they ended up sending the whole lot back as all three horses refused to eat it and they had to unload and stack. I stick with my trusted supplier who has never let me down and does it all for me. Bedding is the one expense I really resent as I can't seem to reduce that as my horse is messy and I spend at least £60 on that just to chuck it on the muck-heap :(

I shop around and buy bulk supplements on the internet. My horse really has every piece of equipment known to man that I've bought over the years and you would think I don't need anything else but somehow there always seem to be something I need (want) to buy / replace :eek:

FairyLights

Visit site
every time money is spent on a horse related thing it goes down in a little notebook. this includes diesel for the tractor and fertilizer etc. it really does add up. need to get a boett rug this spring and some field matting for the gates and the usual fert for the hay field. that little lot will be approx £900. this is without shoes, feed, tack, wormers etc etc. this year so far I have spent £430 in January, various things and in February £55.50. I have 2 horses.

marmalade88

Visit site
I have a separate current account, money gets transferred in every month and I use this for all transactions. It's so much easier. This covers are all his direct costs, the yard is less than 5 min from the house so I don't include fuel in his costs as its such a small part.

This works well for me and means I don't spend money I haven't got and anything left over is sitting there for when he needs new rugs etc.

BigRed

Visit site
I used to keep a spread sheet but it was far too scary. I try to keep spend to a min. I just moved to haylage and so now hard feed has been slashed to a min as they don't need both. I find bedding the most expensive thing.