How tall are you and your horse?

Odd Socks

Visit site
I'm 5'5" and horses are 16.2hh, 16hh and 13.3hh new forest who, although I don't ride him regularly any more, doesn't make me look under horsed. Having said that though, he is a little s**t and far too strong for most kids to ride :)

forestfantasy

Visit site
I'm 5'9 , my mare is 16.1hh.

I wouldn't want anything under 16hh personally as i feel too big. Although i have rode smaller horses for work without an issue as i'm not heavy with it.

Ideally i wish my mare had made around 16.3hh but alas, she stopped growing!

rowan666

Visit site
Bleddy hell all you 5'7 lot who are 7 stone must be little sticks!

I'm 5'7 and 10 stone and consider myself slim! Yikes!

i was thinking the same!!! im 5.5 and 9 stone and im slim (size 8!) but have a lot of leg muscle through trying to stay put on my 14.2 mad anglo arab! :D

i thought the perfect size horse should have its withers at your shoulder??

Kenzo

Visit site
5’6’’ medium built and ride a 16.1 ID/WB so he takes up quite a bit of my leg but then he’s built like a brick outhouse and a 15.1 TB which I do look and feel rather large on.

Mlini

Visit site
I'm 5ft7 and horse is just over 17hh. He is a TB so quite fine build.

My friend had a 15.2 TB of similar build and I felt HUGE on him.

But have quite happily ridden a 13.2hh Welsh C and felt fine.

It totally depends on the build of the horse aswell as the height. I am hoping that my TB will fill out more int he next year :D

Bright_Spark

Visit site
I'm 5'3" and have/had:

15.2 TB
to make 13.2 cob youngster
12.3 NF
15.1 PBA
13.3 cob

Feel/felt fine on all of them, have ridden bigger, but tend to prefer the smaller ones :D

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I'm 5'8 with long legs, my first share was 17hh Irish TB so fairly fine, next share was a 16.2hh French Trotter so a bit wider and took up my leg well. Sometimes ride my cousins 16hh ID x who is wider again and I look fine on. Horse I'm looking to ride at the moment is a 15.2hh cob, not that massive so might look a bit tall but I'm light enough so should be fine. If his owner ever gets round to contacting me!

OliviaSJ

Visit site
Think it matters more about how you ride than how tall you are , i used to ride for a dealer that sold jumping ponies and im nearly 6 foot but i ride very light and short. Have always felt more comfortably on ponies and much prefer jumping small short backed horses even though i look much better on big 17hh+ horses.

lyndsayberesford

Visit site
im 5'8 and my boy (think he has stopped growing) is 17.1h, Med weight warmblood. I am fairly heavy tho at 14 stone (in process of losing a bit of that) but he seems to carry me ok and i dont feel overhorsed on him either

Zimzim

Visit site
I'm 5'5", weigh about 8.5 stone. My mare is 15hh and my gelding 16.3hh (not yet broken).

Personally I prefer horses to ponies, however I have ridden/ broken in 12hh+ ponies over the years.

GingerTrotter

Visit site
5ft11 (but sometimes feel taller!) am 12 stone but am slim (feel soooo fat after all the comments of 7stone ladies on here)
One horses is a 15.2hh trotter, my legs dangle below his saddle in normal stirrups so I have a shorter rider who does the dressagy stuff with him and I charge him round XC courses and show jump him (i rescued him so wont sell him now matter how much or a short ass he is!)
Other horsey is a clocking 16hh Welsh x ID/TB and is still growing - much more my size! :D

Always Henesy

Visit site
5ft11 (but sometimes feel taller!) am 12 stone but am slim (feel soooo fat after all the comments of 7stone ladies on here)
One horses is a 15.2hh trotter, my legs dangle below his saddle in normal stirrups so I have a shorter rider who does the dressagy stuff with him and I charge him round XC courses and show jump him (i rescued him so wont sell him now matter how much or a short ass he is!)
Other horsey is a clocking 16hh Welsh x ID/TB and is still growing - much more my size! :D

Ah so depressing! I am 5'10" and 13 1/2 stone :eek:

You are positively tiny (12 stone is nothing for one so tall) I am very envious :(
I feel exactly the same about all the 7 stone lovelies on here - I am a massive abese giant in comparison...:(

GingerTrotter

Visit site
Thanks Hensey :)
I used to be a positive stick insect and hated it! I've put on 2 stone in 2 years and am now loving my new curves! Don't be ashamed of yours :D