How to trot up a cat?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I also agree he's off.

My junior car has been off behind for some time: just a bit of a John Wayne walk intitally. Wouldn't move at the vets, but had a "pain" reaction to having two thumbs very firmly and suddenly pressed into her hips (I am not convinced it wasn't just surprise). X rays showed nothing. She can still climb fences but in the last few weeks is starting to get a bit clumsy in things like getting off my knee, but still nothing you can really capture on video or that will display at a vet.

I will be really interested to hear if you pinpoint anything with yours!

The fact that cats hide their issues so well at the vets, even if it's by refusing to move, makes it so hard for the vet to see the true picture.

I hope your cat is sound again soon. :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Stepping short ,near fore?

I'm glad that other people think he's NQR. Cats move just that bit quicker than a horse and I do find it makes it a bit harder to identify when it's subtle.

If I'm feeling brave, I'll try to get another video in a few days to see if he's improved.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
He hasn't got an injury to one of his claws has he?? What breed are they?

No, nothing is visibly wrong externally (other than the healing bite wound which is on his tail near his pelvis). I do wonder if it's a soft tissue issue?

Kasp is an Egyptian Mau and DB is an Ocicat.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
The thread title made me laugh a lot, sorry to hear hes a little unsound how old is he could it be a slight touch of arthritis/ a little stiffness?

Also sorry it probably shouldn't but the video is hilarious I like how the one you didn't need was lunging beautifully and the one you did need was the more reluctant!!

One of mine is on a diet and so trying to give her extra exercise, people who say you cant make horses do something they dont want to do will think they are easy compared to cats!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Chase after him with a worming tablet 🙈

The last time I tried to worm mine using the "pill method", it was a bit like that scene from the Exorcist when the Priest tries to administer Holy Communion to the Demon.

Seriously, hope your puss comes right soon; like equine lameness, there is pain somewhere and/or something going on - tis just a matter of finding it! If only they could talk.......

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm glad that other people think he's NQR. Cats move just that bit quicker than a horse and I do find it makes it a bit harder to identify when it's subtle.

If I'm feeling brave, I'll try to get another video in a few days to see if he's improved.

yes yes please do, it right cheered me up :D

chaps89

Visit site
If fat cat is another room and I open the cupboard door to his cupboard and just think of getting food out he seems to know and comes trotting straight through. How food reactive is Kaspar, would he likely do the same and could you be ready waiting to video?
They're both very beautiful though, I'm sorry they've been in the wars.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
A quick update. :)

He looks much sounder now to me and the scab over his tail wound has fallen off and it looks to have healed perfectly so hopefully he's fully over this injury/injuries now.

No vid yet as the rain caught me out yesterday, but I'll try to get one soon and hopefully you'll all confirm that he looks sound now too. :D

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
So we are a month after Kasper looked fully better and his wound opened up again. He's at the Vets and is waiting for an x-ray to check for a foreign body. He was so frightened when I left him there and I feel terrible. :(

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'll update later when I know what the Vet has found.

My stomach is in knots with worry. Our old Burmese had a lot of Vet visits due to his health issues. It never gets easier.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
It's horrible isn't it, I started crying when I had to hand Daisy over for her dental surgery last month. Hope Kaspar is ok, he will be so pleased to see you later!

windand rain

Visit site
My puss had a lame leg on and off it came up in a lump so off to the vet we went he had antibiotics and an abcess drained it kept coming back until one day I was holding him under the tap washing off the pus and as I grabbed him (he didnt like water) a cats tooth shot out of his hole in his leg after that it healed no bother

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Poor Kasper, and poor Faracat having to leave the little lad. Even though it’s the best place it must have been heartbreaking. Am hoping very much something/tooth is found and removed asap so he can come home.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have been able to bring him home which he is very pleased about. He is ravenous and has eaten about four times his normal serving.

He has a bigger hole than the original one now that it has been cleaned up. Unfortunately the x-rays didn't show a foreign object or bone chip. The vertebrae under the bite wound looks infected so he has six weeks of a different antibiotic and then another x-ray. It wasn't discussed but I'm assuming that if the infection doesn't go that he'll need his tail amputated right near the pelvis.

I feel so guilty. He had an emergency vet consultation within half an hour of the original injury and two follow up appointments. I still feel guilty. An x-ray was mentioned as a possibility, but taking a 'terrified of the vet' cat for an x-ray of a healed wound that looked great with no pain response on palpation and full movement returned just didn't seem necessary at the time. Hindsight makes fools of us all I suppose.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Glad he's back home with you. I also felt dreadful guilt when vets told me about Daisy's advanced dental disease and her having to have loads of them extracted (the main reason I was in floods of tears at the vets). I still feel guilty every time I watch her eat. I think feeling guilty is part and parcel of pet ownership.

Fingers crossed the antibiotics take effect and it all heals up nicely. Have a nice big glass of booze/bar of chocolate/bag of sweeties/pizza* this evening!

* Delete as appropriate (or not at all)

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Don't beat yourself up - you didn't do anything wrong and have just been unlucky. I'm sure he'll heal up in no time, particularly if he keeps up that appetite!

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Poor puss cat. I hope he recovers soon.
Don’t feel guilty. My Pushkar cat was extremely nervous, hated the vet and I’d have done the same as you ref the suggestion of an X-ray. Fingers crossed Kaspar will recover well now. Great that he has a huge appetite, always a good sign in a feline 😊.