Hunt coming through yard

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
We’ve had advanced warning that the hunt will be coming over the land that we are on next week.

Young horse has never seen the hunt - or that amount of horses in one place. She’s also the type to find this very exciting.

Do you think they are better to be in or out?

My thought would be out but out involves electric tape. Really not sure what is best!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Another vote for in.
My horses that haven't been hunting have taken this experience much more in their stride than the ones that have ????

I was riding one in the arena as the hounds and field passed and then congregated in the farmyard behind a barn. I was ready for the ejector seat but she was interested but not crazy, hope yours is similar. Her mate who did a few seasons had trashed her stable and was in a white lather when I got back ?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Surely they'd need someones permission to go through someones private land?

I wouldn't allow them permission if I had anyway of doing so, especially having seen threads on here but even if I hadn't read them, I wouldn't want them getting on my land full stop

If you've got any pets make sure they are shut away too

If your land doesn't have public access, I'd contact them and ban them from using it, they shouldn't have a right to go wherever and surely need permission for each person's land.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

I wouldn't allow them permission if I had anyway of doing so, especially having seen threads on here but even if I hadn't read them, I wouldn't want them getting on my land full stop

If your land doesn't have public access, I'd contact them and ban them from using it, they shouldn't have a right to go wherever and surely need permission for each person's land.

OP has a PROW through the yard.

LG in for sure.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Definitely in my arabs find it highly exciting Arabi starts shaking as soon as he can hear them, I have the radio on really loud in my tack room and and I try to have them out all night the night before.

My dog is not keen on it either.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Absolutely in, I always put mine in as have hunted before and just gallop about, however a new livery left hers out said they would be ok, hunt came through both horses smashed through all the electric fencing and cut legs, I was at the yard so managed to get them in, she didn’t leave them out next time, the hunt comes through or around our yard on a regular basis.

tiggipop

Visit site
def in for me.

i too have a bridleway running through the yard so mine are in barn with radio on to drown out the noise of hooves and quad bikes!

just a heads up in case you are planning to bring in before hunt arrive - they are still "autumn hunting" so the meets are early not 11 am. this sat my local hunt are meeting at farm along bridleway at 6.30 am

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

OP rents, it depends entirely on her landlord and what conditions they rented with.

LG in, with top doors available or grills already on.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Thanks everyone! In it is.

Yes, the land owner has given permission. I will check that the plan is not to come right though my stable yard because I think they’d go mad in their stables.

We have top doors for our stables but Mimosa isn’t terribly fond of the stable anyway and I’d be worried she’d panic. The doors are very high and neither horse is likely to be able to jump out.

I’ve taken time off work. Let’s hope it’s not every week!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm the voice of dissent. LOL!

The hunt goes right past my winter grazing, the other side of the fence, so not though the yard itself.

I did try stabling and CM went bonkers. So after that they have been out. Usually they watch from a safe distance and don't prance too much although CM is still stressed at least she isn't trying to destroy herself and the stable.

I don't like having electric tape when the hunt goes by. They have the whole field which allows the to move far away if they want.

I have had lost hounds jump the fence but this caused less issue than I expected thankfully.

It depends on how your horses react which I couldn't tell until it actually happened. :( Sorry, that's hopeless advice.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
We have always kept in. I was at a yard where this was quite regular. One hunt would come down the neighbouring bridleway. (And hounds did get into the yard). Also had other hunts come close so through winter it was normal to have to keep in at least once a week. It was a right PITA!

Horses in, radio on. :)

paddi22

Visit site
I had a bad experience bringing mine in. one jumped a door and the other tried to scramble over it. I wouldn't bring in now unless I closed top door or had a grid, even still id be panicked about them whipping around in stable.

now I leave them out in the massive field. I chose that one as I worry about them crashing through fences or doing hand break turns in the smaller paddocks. I watch them in the big field and they actually tend to run to the far end or hill part and just stand and watch them go past. I think it's worse if they hear them trotting on hard surfaces near them, when they are out in field they don't seem as manic, more curious.

Fred66

Visit site
I agree with MC, especially if the horse hasn’t already seen the hunt. Far better out less likely to hurt itself and with any luck will become accustomed to it so won’t be an issue for the future

Especially at this time of year when it’s all a bit more slow paced and may well be just walking past.

Last edited:

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I was at a yard where they came past regularly and we always kept them in.

We had a summer livery, two old ponies who lived out, and she decided to leave them out. The hunt weren't allowed onto the yards land but they went on anyway and chased one of the ponies into an on electric fence and the hunt rode off leaving pony tangled up in fencing and in a total state. Luckily she pulled through but she was in a bad way for a couple of weeks.

They were a particularly bad hunt, hopefully the one near LG have a bit more care and control, but still I'd opt for in.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I used to leave out until one rather overly ambitious horse young horse of mine cleared a VERY big hedge line and apparently followed the hunt for several miles until a kind person bought him home again. I didn't even know he had gone missing, I am told his jumping was awe inspiring that morning lol! Do close the top door though I have even seen someone else's horse climb over the door and away!:oops:

J&S

Visit site
The old horse I used to ride up until a few months ago and his field companion, both horses who have hunted a lot in the past, are always brought in. They are bang in the middle of well hunted country. My own are not really likely to be that close to a passing hunt so I would leave out.