Hunt coming through yard

NinjaPony

Visit site
Keep in, radio on and make sure all pets are safely inside…..

Have to say I really don’t miss the hunt coming through every couple of weeks at my old yard, or ‘appearing’ when they weren’t supposed to be in the area…

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thanks everyone! In it is.

Yes, the land owner has given permission. I will check that the plan is not to come right though my stable yard because I think they’d go mad in their stables.

We have top doors for our stables but Mimosa isn’t terribly fond of the stable anyway and I’d be worried she’d panic. The doors are very high and neither horse is likely to be able to jump out.

I’ve taken time off work. Let’s hope it’s not every week!!

You’re renting the land, house and yard. It’s for you to give permission - not the owner.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
You’re renting the land, house and yard. It’s for you to give permission - not the owner.
Round here, it is a condition of the tenancies of the main local sporting estate that the hunt is allowed onto the tenants’ land, like it or not :confused:.

But yes, unless you have such a clause, you can just refuse them access to your land apart from the PROW. The PROW muddles things.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
LG, I def wouldn't leave out due to field not secure.
However, a curve ball here, put the old lady in with plenty of netted hay and put a bridle on Mim and let her watch them come past. Sometimes it helps for them to see them come and go rather than just hearing the noise.
Obs hat and gloves etc required, and only you know your horse, so your choice.
I've done that in the past and it only failed with one that I needed friend to clip a rope on the other side and manhandled into stable. (Carefully!!).
These last 25 yrs there hasn't been any hunt going past here tho.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I went to camp a few weeks ago. Got talking to a lady who was usually notified if hunt passing so she could bring her horse in. They didn't notify her and she went off to work. Came home to find horse tangled in metal gate. She complained to hunt who couldn't give 2 hoots. Luckily horse only battered and bruised.

cauda equina

Visit site
Round here, it is a condition of the tenancies of the main local sporting estate that the hunt is allowed onto the tenants’ land, like it or not :confused:.

But yes, unless you have such a clause, you can just refuse them access to your land apart from the PROW. The PROW muddles things.
Isn't the PROW a footpath?
In which case foot followers could use it legally but not anyone mounted or in any sort of vehicle

smolmaus

Visit site
We have top doors for our stables but Mimosa isn’t terribly fond of the stable anyway and I’d be worried she’d panic. The doors are very high and neither horse is likely to be able to jump out.
We have two mares at the rescue who are permanently unsound after trying and failing to jump a high stable door in a panic. Personally, if there is the risk that the hunt is going to make her panic and want to jump out anyway I would have the top door closed so she doesn't try and not quite make it.

(I will admit it's possible I am being too paranoid here just because I happen to know two it's happened to.)

LadyGascoyne

Visit site

I’ve asked the owner to contact to say not on our yard.

LG, I def wouldn't leave out due to field not secure.
However, a curve ball here, put the old lady in with plenty of netted hay and put a bridle on Mim and let her watch them come past. Sometimes it helps for them to see them come and go rather than just hearing the noise.
Obs hat and gloves etc required, and only you know your horse, so your choice.
I've done that in the past and it only failed with one that I needed friend to clip a rope on the other side and manhandled into stable. (Carefully!!).
These last 25 yrs there hasn't been any hunt going past here tho.

Thanks TFF, good call. If we have strays that don’t adhere to the “not on our yard” then I think that’s probably a great idea. Mim is very good in hand but I do think she’s going to find excited horses to be a bit much for her in the stable.

In terms of the PROW - it’s a footpath and I’d expect foot traffic only. I will turn people away if they are coming up into the yard on the footpath on anything except feet. What I might do is open the gates in my fields to give alternative access around the back of the yard.

I’ll play some music - playlist pending - would ear bonnets help?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
We have two mares at the rescue who are permanently unsound after trying and failing to jump a high stable door in a panic. Personally, if there is the risk that the hunt is going to make her panic and want to jump out anyway I would have the top door closed so she doesn't try and not quite make it.

(I will admit it's possible I am being too paranoid here just because I happen to know two it's happened to.)

Ok, will try to buy grills. Not worth the risk.

palo1

Visit site
Please make sure any yard cats are safely indoors too, so many horror stories of people's pet cats being mauled by hounds recently it doesn't bear thinking about :(

There are a very few horror stories of pet cats being mauled not 'so many'. The amount of cats that hounds come across in relation to the (very well publicised) very few awful incidents is much larger. Hounds should certainly NOT be rioting on cats...

Muddywellies

Visit site
I used to work on a large yard and when the hunt came by, all the horses were in and we had to run around the yard shutting all the top doors. I always always bring in on hunt day.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
There are a very few horror stories of pet cats being mauled not 'so many'. The amount of cats that hounds come across in relation to the (very well publicised) very few awful incidents is much larger. Hounds should certainly NOT be rioting on cats...

Well I've heard of enough incidents to deem it worth warning others.

palo1

Visit site
I know this will be hugely unpopular :rolleyes: but I trail hunt regularly and am often someone who sees other horses response to the hunt. I have had our neighbour demand that the hunt do not go down the lane past her house due to her insistence that her old event horse and young eventer 'will clear the fence and join you'. This neighbour has been adamant that if we are going to pass then she needs to put the horses on the lorry and 'go somewhere' in order to prevent serious injury and destruction to her horses and property - which of course, is logistically very difficult for her and for the hunt to schedule. In actuality if we are in this particular location and using the road then we just walk past, occasionally we trot. The horses really are not bothered one bit!! Those horses trot up to the rails bordering the property and watch us toddle past - that is all that ever happens!! We are not a large group however so I understand that a large number of horses might have a different impact to a small group. The most common response I see from grazing horses is to have a bit of a lark if we are very close then settle again. Feral ponies usually come a certain way toward us and then go off on a jolly but stay away. I do see people with horses in hand and those horses are usually well behaved - if somewhat interested and occasionally definitely 'prancing' ! I don't know about the horses that are stabled as a precaution against over-excitement/stress. My own horses are certainly interested if another hunt come past but do not go mad with excitement - once the other horses and hounds have moved on that is that. I would hope that horses and hounds pass through the property relatively quietly and quickly.

If I had a horse that was recovering from injury or was elderly I probably would put somewhere in with a radio to stop any unneccessary running about. If the fields that horses are in are likely to be used then either move or put in whilst the hunt is there. A decently hedged field would be my choice generally though. I know that badly behaved hunts are well reported here. Quite often a hunt with hounds will be much less trouble than is perceived and many people don't even know they have been past but I realise that viewpoint is not especially well received here. Just my input.

ETA - we have scheduled meets at a stud farm and other equine locations including a Riding School. The RS hosting us doesn't put a lesson on at the time we are on the yard but after that things continue as normal even though we are in the location. The stud horses grazing barely seem to notice and we stay away from the stallion yard. It is not necessarily mayhem just because of the hunt passing!

paddi22

Visit site
Ok, will try to buy grills. Not worth the risk.

if there's any chance at all they will try and jump door it's well worth closing top door or getting a grill.. I had three in stables when hunt trotted past back of stable block, they all absolutely went berserk. one jumped door, one tried to jump door and didn't make it and the other was galloping circles in stable and slipped and could easily have pulled something or be injured. I think it was worse because they could only hear the noise and not see them. Because of my set up I would never leave them in again

paddi22

Visit site
I know this will be hugely unpopular :rolleyes: but I trail hunt regularly and am often someone who sees other horses response to the hunt. I have had our neighbour demand that the hunt do not go down the lane past her house due to her insistence that her old event horse and young eventer 'will clear the fence and join you'. This neighbour has been adamant that if we are going to pass then she needs to put the horses on the lorry and 'go somewhere' in order to prevent serious injury and destruction to her horses and property - which of course, is logistically very difficult for her and for the hunt to schedule. In actuality if we are in this particular location and using the road then we just walk past, occasionally we trot. The horses really are not bothered one bit!! Those horses trot up to the rails bordering the property and watch us toddle past - that is all that ever happens!! We are not a large group however so I understand that a large number of horses might have a different impact to a small group. The most common response I see from grazing horses is to have a bit of a lark if we are very close then settle again. Feral ponies usually come a certain way toward us and then go off on a jolly but stay away. I do see people with horses in hand and those horses are usually well behaved - if somewhat interested and occasionally definitely 'prancing' ! I don't know about the horses that are stabled as a precaution against over-excitement/stress. My own horses are certainly interested if another hunt come past but do not go mad with excitement - once the other horses and hounds have moved on that is that. I would hope that horses and hounds pass through the property relatively quietly and quickly.

If I had a horse that was recovering from injury or was elderly I probably would put somewhere in with a radio to stop any unneccessary running about. If the fields that horses are in are likely to be used then either move or put in whilst the hunt is there. A decently hedged field would be my choice generally though. I know that badly behaved hunts are well reported here. Quite often a hunt with hounds will be much less trouble than is perceived and many people don't even know they have been past but I realise that viewpoint is not especially well received here. Just my input.

you have a better behaved hunt than our lot. We have quite an echoey lane behind our block and we had tons of horses clattering down full speed in trot and canter. my horses are blood event horses who would have hunted in the past, and they absolutely lost their reason with excitement at the noise. I thought it was pure rude of the hunt as they hadn't even given us notice and they knew we had horses, I had just heard from a friend. I absolutely dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't been home at time. I had one demolished door, one horse running free and two injured horses. I was absolutely livid.

Esmae

Visit site
I have my own land and banned my local hunt and they still came across. Horses went bananas and went through 2 fences. Fortunately horses unhurt but expensive to repair fences. I was fuming. Huntsman will attest to fluent Anglo Saxon. Cue solicitors letter to the secretary. This was several years ago and they haven't trespassed since I hit them in the pocket for the fencing repair. They let me know now as well. They are so arrogant.

palo1

Visit site
Well I've heard of enough incidents to deem it worth warning others.

Cats are at far greater risk of attack from a domestic dog than from hounds. The Cats Protection League has identified at the very least 270 cases of dogs attacking cats in 5 years (and many, many more never reported). https://www.cats.org.uk/media/7042/tim-dangerous-dogs.pdf. 80% of those attacks were fatal and those are just reported cases; it is impossible to know how many cats are killed by domestic dogs though it is certainly a recognised risk from sighthound and other dog re-homing organisations who recommend that dogs are muzzled for a period of time at least after re-homing. Hounds have certainly killed 3 cats in the last 10 years (Moppett in 2011, Spider in December 2021 and Mini in January 2021). The statistics between domestic dogs and hounds simply do not compare although any death of a cat due to dog or hound attack is awful and cats and their owners deserve protection in law which they currently do not have.

Sandstone1

Visit site
One is one too many. The cat could be a well loved companion animal. Disgusting what the hunt gets away with.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

ETA - we have scheduled meets at a stud farm and other equine locations including a Riding School. The RS hosting us doesn't put a lesson on at the time we are on the yard but after that things continue as normal even though we are in the location. The stud horses grazing barely seem to notice and we stay away from the stallion yard. It is not necessarily mayhem just because of the hunt passing!
Sorry, Palo, but that is a typical response from the hunting community.

Meanwhile, those of us who have witnessed the dark side of hunting will do all we can to keep our animals safe.

Including our cats. Remember my tale of my local pack sent in to ‘thin out’ some feral cats? I heard that first hand from a hunt subscriber.

palo1

Visit site
One is one too many. The cat could be a well loved companion animal. Disgusting what the hunt gets away with.

Yes. If hounds kill a cat that is certainly disgusting. The same is true if someone's pet dog kills a cat, a pet rabbit or another dog surely. It is disgusting what some pet dog owners get away with. That is a far greater number of incidents too.

smolmaus

Visit site
Yes. If hounds kill a cat that is certainly disgusting. The same is true if someone's pet dog kills a cat, a pet rabbit or another dog surely. It is disgusting what some pet dog owners get away with. That is a far greater number of incidents too.
I don't think anyone would advise not taking steps for sensible risk management with domestic dogs and other animals either. Plenty of dogs wear muzzles when out and plenty of people fence their gardens to keep cats in or out so they're not at risk of being killed by a high prey drive dog.

"Keep your cats in when the hunt is on" is just sensible risk management.

ETA: Sandstone has already posted what I wanted to add, that this is in the name of a sport that affects a lot of people who have no interest in said sport is where the difference lies and could be why there is some resentment.

Sandstone1

Visit site
But the hunt does kill cats, terrorise livestock, upset horses damage land and trespass. All in the name of sport. Yes of course pet dogs sometimes do some of these things but thats not a organised " sport"

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have known the hunt to trot very fast some even canter along the road where I live its a very narrow country lane and they often go up and down several times through that day, they also charge through the woods opposite which is what upsets mine most.

I have had hounds running in my fields and my front garden in the past and one was left behind once.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Cats are at far greater risk of attack from a domestic dog than from hounds. The Cats Protection League has identified at the very least 270 cases of dogs attacking cats in 5 years (and many, many more never reported). https://www.cats.org.uk/media/7042/tim-dangerous-dogs.pdf. 80% of those attacks were fatal and those are just reported cases; it is impossible to know how many cats are killed by domestic dogs though it is certainly a recognised risk from sighthound and other dog re-homing organisations who recommend that dogs are muzzled for a period of time at least after re-homing. Hounds have certainly killed 3 cats in the last 10 years (Moppett in 2011, Spider in December 2021 and Mini in January 2021). The statistics between domestic dogs and hounds simply do not compare although any death of a cat due to dog or hound attack is awful and cats and their owners deserve protection in law which they currently do not have.

So both are just as bad as each other? I don't see what is to be achieved in comparing them? Recently a woman local to me had to have her dog's eye removed because it was attacked by another dog in the park who was off the lead. Out of control, aggressive dogs which are a threat to anyone shouldn't be allowed to run loose, regardless of whether they're domestic dogs or 'working' dogs.