Hunting and Equine flu

Auslander

Visit site
Yes it would. Whilst they are not multi million pound industries people’s livelihoods depend on horses being able to compete and hunt. If worst case scenario transport is ceased for a few weeks these are some of the ‘smaller guys’ that could take a hit:

Grooms preparing and doing second horses for hunting may not get that work for these few weeks. I know of someone who if hunting is stopped for a few weeks will be taking their horses off hunting livery and home. This is a huge pay cut to the livery owner.

Dealers who can’t get horses out hunting or competing still have to pay to feed/keep them. Unless the horse is very green it’s not building the experiences it needs to be sold at home.

Eventing season starts in a little over a month so many people are upping their training. There will no doubt be withdrawals if people don’t feel prepared enough if unable to get out before. This impacts the venue/competition organiser. For professionals this delays getting runs for more high profile events and could even impact their entries I.e Badminton??

A couple of weeks off won't create as a big a hit to peoples livelihoods as a major epidemic of equine flu!

Surbie

Visit site
From my novice point of view id support a short ban on horse movement to contain the infection. There are 3 yards neighbouring ours. We share field boundaries and if one yard gets it I imagine we will all have to lock down. A short term stop makes so much more sense than letting this drag out.

popsdosh

Visit site
A couple of weeks off won't create as a big a hit to peoples livelihoods as a major epidemic of equine flu!

To those who advocate hunting should still take place. It is irresponsible and selfish in the extreme! Im afraid it is that attitude that will finish it all together. I think some are totally oblivious to how it spreads (think reaction to strangles and multiply by ten).

You have a choice if you wish to take your horse hunting ,However you take the choice away from those who would rather their horses were not put in danger. The same as those who go to any event thats fine! However dont bring your horses back near mine.
We have very good relations with the Hunt ,I also know they would not be so stupid as to suggest they came on our land at this time or indeed nearby.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There are horses with flu at all times, my point is that in 2 weeks time we will be in exactly the same scenario, then what ?

This is believed to be a mutated virus that even vaccinated horses will not be immune to. That is very different from the odd unvaccinated horse getting flu in a normal year.

If a virus can't find new hosts, it dies. If every horse which has been in contact with it stays where it is now until it gets the virus out of its system, the possibility of an epidemic, which is currently uncomfortably high, will be reduced to almost nothing.

I've booked my boosters a month early and my horses won't leave here until it's contained.

bonny

Visit site
This is believed to be a mutated virus that horses will not be immune to. That is very different from the odd unvaccinated horse getting flu in a normal year.

If a virus can't find new hosts, it dies. If every horse which has been in contact with it stays where it is now until it gets the virus out of its system, the possibility of an epidemic, which is currently uncomfortably high, will be reduced to almost nothing.
Everything I’ve read has suggested it was an ineffective batch of vaccine that meant vaccinated horses have tested positive. Time will tell but I strongly suspect this is all a massive over reaction, racing could be off for months and all for nothing.

popsdosh

Visit site
There are horses with flu at all times, my point is that in 2 weeks time we will be in exactly the same scenario, then what ?
This is a very different situation we are dealing with a strain that only two of the vaccines offer any protection(then not fully) and many vaccinated horses are becoming infected.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Everything I’ve read has suggested it was an ineffective batch of vaccine that meant vaccinated horses have tested positive.

I'm not sure your understanding of how vaccines work is quite right there, Bonny.

Time will tell but I strongly suspect this is all a massive over reaction, racing could be off for months and all for nothing.

If it's justified, a movement ban will kill it. It won't go on for months and months if there is a movement ban immediately. It might if there isn't.

If it's not justified, then it will have been better to have erred on the side of caution for a few days until we are sure, imo.

Are you trying to justify to yourself why you are going to take your horse out this weekend, Bonny? It reads like it.

Visit site
It doesnt
Given there are now confirmed cases in leisure horses who have been nowhere near racehorses either directly or indirectly, I think a 2 week shut down on all non-essential movement is sensible

It started in leisure horses not racehorses. Racing is making a stand now it has come into our ranks which is why everyone is now going bat poop crazy.

popsdosh

Visit site
Everything I’ve read has suggested it was an ineffective batch of vaccine that meant vaccinated horses have tested positive. Time will tell but I strongly suspect this is all a massive over reaction, racing could be off for months and all for nothing.
I thought you were sensible . Must have been several batches gone wrong then as it is all brands really dont believe the hype as people love conspiracy theories

bonny

Visit site
I'm not sure your understanding of how vaccines work is quite right there, Bonny.

If it's justified, a movement ban will kill it. It won't go on for months and months if there is a movement ban immediately. It might if there isn't.

If it's not justified, then it will have been better to have erred on the side of caution for a few days until we are sure, imo.

Are you trying to justify to yourself why you are going to take your horse out this weekend, Bonny? It reads like it.
No intention of going anywhere but I am a big racing fan and I’m worried about the effect of all this and worried that Cheltenham won’t happen

Visit site
Yes it would. Whilst they are not multi million pound industries people’s livelihoods depend on horses being able to compete and hunt. If worst case scenario transport is ceased for a few weeks these are some of the ‘smaller guys’ that could take a hit:

Grooms preparing and doing second horses for hunting may not get that work for these few weeks. I know of someone who if hunting is stopped for a few weeks will be taking their horses off hunting livery and home. This is a huge pay cut to the livery owner.

Dealers who can’t get horses out hunting or competing still have to pay to feed/keep them. Unless the horse is very green it’s not building the experiences it needs to be sold at home.

Eventing season starts in a little over a month so many people are upping their training. There will no doubt be withdrawals if people don’t feel prepared enough if unable to get out before. This impacts the venue/competition organiser. For professionals this delays getting runs for more high profile events and could even impact their entries I.e Badminton??

I would much rather take a 2 week hit than a 6-8 week hit for having ill horses on the yard. Plus the stigma of having it kicking about. Short term loss for long term gain.

popsdosh

Visit site

Im gobsmacked anybody would want to take their horse out this weekend unless an emergency.

popsdosh

Visit site
Donald Macains horses
Dont see your point his are not the only TBs I think there are 3more reported in a northern racing yard this AM Vaccinated TBs in suffolk.
Over half those tested(actual horses) positive so far have been in Vaccinated horses ,with a very wide geographical spread.

be positive

Visit site
No intention of going anywhere but I am a big racing fan and I’m worried about the effect of all this and worried that Cheltenham won’t happen

I am sure the racing industry is worried that Cheltenham won't happen which is why if we all acted responsibly to try and contain this outbreak from spreading further within the leisure horses/ industry by stopping non essential movement there is a chance that it will be contained and we can all get back to normal.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I am surprised so many venues near us are still going ahead. Lots have cancelled but some are still going. A yard has confirmed cases in somerset that’s thousands of miles from the first cases, but has it always been on going with a odd case and it’s now suddenly in the media so we know about it?

Just saw this online,

https://www.racingpost.com/news/nig...-for-massive-overreaction-to-flu-cases/365656

bonny

Visit site

Bernster

Visit site
I can’t work out if it’s overkll or not. All the comms coming from the regulatory and vet bodies that I’ve seen are saying it’s ok to carry on but get boosters if it’s been less than 6 months. I like that places are going to check passports for vacc history (not done at any unaff that I’ve been to before). I’m not going out this weekend and will re assess for next weekend.

catkin

Visit site
To those who advocate hunting should still take place. It is irresponsible and selfish in the extreme! Im afraid it is that attitude that will finish it all together. I think some are totally oblivious to how it spreads (think reaction to strangles and multiply by ten).

You have a choice if you wish to take your horse hunting ,However you take the choice away from those who would rather their horses were not put in danger. The same as those who go to any event thats fine! However dont bring your horses back near mine.
We have very good relations with the Hunt ,I also know they would not be so stupid as to suggest they came on our land at this time or indeed nearby.

Absolutely this.

very well said

my ponies are staying at home - not just for their own sake (and they mean the world to us, so that's a huge thing) but also I could never live with my conscience if I had played a part in bringing a disease to others' vulnerable and well-beloved animals.

bonny

Visit site
Absolutely this.

very well said

my ponies are staying at home - not just for their own sake (and they mean the world to us, so that's a huge thing) but also I could never live with my concience if I had played a part in bringing a disease to others' vulnerable and well-beloved animals.
If you really felt like that you would literally never go anywhere !

bonny

Visit site
It's ok we can still hop over to France to race! They are still happy to welcome us lol!
Are you sure that’s true ? We can’t go to Dubai or Ireland, although the French aren’t great believers in rules !

Visit site

catkin

Visit site
If you really felt like that you would literally never go anywhere !

No.
It's no different to not visiting a frail relative when I think I may have human flu. In normal circumstances it would be fine.
This is not normal - a multi-million pound industry like racing does not shut-down during the build-up to its showpiece events without a VERY VERY good reason.