Hunting and Equine flu

Gone hunting

Visit site
I think it's over kill. Fare enough surrounding yards to the outbreak should be careful where they go and what the do but to stop every equine activity around the country is unnecessary, and everyone panicking about having a flu boaster when the strain hasn't been recognised yet. Knee jerk reaction I think

Michen

Visit site
Some of the hunts around us who hunt in racing country (Lambourn in particular) have cancelled. I'll still be heading out unless I hear otherwise.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Just posted this in another thread, but my vets are running an all day drop in clinic for vaccinations tomorrrow 🤦‍♀️

The mind boggles!

popsdosh

Visit site
Im afraid if the local hunt went ahead they wouldnt come on our farms ever again. If they were near us or not . Its totally irresponsible in the present situation.
I think it's over kill. Fare enough surrounding yards to the outbreak should be careful where they go and what the do but to stop every equine activity around the country is unnecessary, and everyone panicking about having a flu boaster when the strain hasn't been recognised yet. Knee jerk reaction I think
Really ! interesting attitude with regards horses mixing and travelling near other horses. I may agree with regard the boosters though.

Visit site
Would it really do anyone any harm to NOT go hunting or competing for a couple of weeks?!? I know people like doing what they love but a short term hiatus for the long term good is the best thing.

Racing is a multi-million pound industry and yet we have a week of no movements. It will have a massive impact on a lot of sectors of racing but short term loss for long term gain.

Michen

Visit site
Unle
Im afraid if the local hunt went ahead they wouldnt come on our farms ever again. If they were near us or not . Its totally irresponsible in the present situation.

Really ! interesting attitude with regards horses mixing and travelling near other horses. I may agree with regard the boosters though.

Really? Official advice from BE/BD etc is business as usual... unless these organisations follow the same standpoint re racing you can’t blame life for carrying on. I’d totally understand is hunt abandoned and local comps etc, but equally understand them following official advice and currently that’s not to abandon.

catkin

Visit site

Doubt if you are alone with that sentiment.

Would it really do anyone any harm to NOT go hunting or competing for a couple of weeks?!? I know people like doing what they love but a short term hiatus for the long term good is the best thing.

Racing is a multi-million pound industry and yet we have a week of no movements. It will have a massive impact on a lot of sectors of racing but short term loss for long term gain.

No it wouldn't.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Im afraid if the local hunt went ahead they wouldnt come on our farms ever again. If they were near us or not . Its totally irresponsible in the present .

Well said.

Regardless of where the outbreaks currently are or how 'safe' it may be to continue competitions/training/movement etc, it must be sensible and best practice to close all equine industry down and get a hold of the disease as quickly as possible ?

I feel a non uniform approach will just keep the problem going for a very long time and the whole season being a write off.

Nasicus

Visit site
You would be surprised at how many owners don't vaccinate for flu or tetanus.
The anti-vaxxers are crawling out the woodwork on the various facebook posts regarding the flu. One has to have a small chuckle at the fact that the only reason they're able to hold their stance so far without serious consequence is due to herd immunity granted by the vaccinated.

Louby

Visit site
Our local riding club are going ahead with their show on Sunday. I wasn't planning to go anyway, but if I was I would cancel rather than risk it. Just not worth it IMO
Im with you on this but sadly unless others follow suit it will be difficult to contain the virus. Im not saying I think we should panic or go into lockdown but it would be nice for people to be sensible and considerate to fellow liveries who are happy to miss a few events until its under control. From what Ive read it seems checking passports at events/clinics etc is pointless as it appears vaccinated horses have caught the new flu virus too.

Visit site
The anti-vaxxers are crawling out the woodwork on the various facebook posts regarding the flu. One has to have a small chuckle at the fact that the only reason they're able to hold their stance so far without serious consequence is due to herd immunity granted by the vaccinated.

The herd immunity thing goes down the pan when 6 horses in a yard of 200 horses, so far, have flu. 100% of those horses are vaccinated.

bonny

Visit site
It’s all very well saying not to go out for a couple of weeks but I can’t see that would achieve anything ? This situation seems to be rapidly getting out of hand, vets and vaccination makers must be delighted but I fail to see anyone else who will benefit by cancelling all equine events, what will be different in two weeks time ? Are you prepared to cancel all horse events for months if this carries on ? For what exactly ?

palo1

Visit site
Considering the incubation period and the time it takes for a horse to get the flu and then to lose infectiousness is relatively short, it makes absolute sense to just put things on hold for a week or 2. That would be the quickest way to stop the disease spreading. If racing are prepared to shut down, as the biggest equine industry, it doesn't make much sense for everyone else to bleat about 'overkill' in my mind but we all have different perspectives. If people insist on moving horses and attending competitions etc it is much more likely that the whole thing will continue on and affect everyone's sport, hobby and livelihood for longer. It really irritates me to be honest and anyone who has seen or been through a nasty outbreak of flu (in vaccinated or unvaccinated horses) would certainly think twice about beetling about the countryside with precious Neddy. Hey ho.

bonny

Visit site
Considering the incubation period and the time it takes for a horse to get the flu and then to lose infectiousness is relatively short, it makes absolute sense to just put things on hold for a week or 2. That would be the quickest way to stop the disease spreading. If racing are prepared to shut down, as the biggest equine industry, it doesn't make much sense for everyone else to bleat about 'overkill' in my mind but we all have different perspectives. If people insist on moving horses and attending competitions etc it is much more likely that the whole thing will continue on and affect everyone's sport, hobby and livelihood for longer. It really irritates me to be honest and anyone who has seen or been through a nasty outbreak of flu (in vaccinated or unvaccinated horses) would certainly think twice about beetling about the countryside with precious Neddy. Hey ho.
How do you think people moving their ponies around, going to shows etc affects the racing industry ?

SOS

Visit site

Yes it would. Whilst they are not multi million pound industries people’s livelihoods depend on horses being able to compete and hunt. If worst case scenario transport is ceased for a few weeks these are some of the ‘smaller guys’ that could take a hit:

Grooms preparing and doing second horses for hunting may not get that work for these few weeks. I know of someone who if hunting is stopped for a few weeks will be taking their horses off hunting livery and home. This is a huge pay cut to the livery owner.

Dealers who can’t get horses out hunting or competing still have to pay to feed/keep them. Unless the horse is very green it’s not building the experiences it needs to be sold at home.

Eventing season starts in a little over a month so many people are upping their training. There will no doubt be withdrawals if people don’t feel prepared enough if unable to get out before. This impacts the venue/competition organiser. For professionals this delays getting runs for more high profile events and could even impact their entries I.e Badminton??

be positive

Visit site
There is a confirmed case in my area and the two main venues have responded by cancelling their activities this weekend which is a responsible reaction and one that will mean they lose money, that competitors may miss out on a run but if we all stayed at home for two weeks it may help contain this outbreak so everything gets back to normal far quicker than if it is continued to be spread by mainly unnecessary equine movement.

We need to look at the bigger picture, I am cancelling two short term liveries that were going to bring in a decent sum but it is not worth the risk to the horses already here just for some extra, much needed, income.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d support a short ban on horse movement, country wide.

But it has to come from the top. And presently that advice is not forthcoming.

We have to rely on the experts to guide us appropriately and currently it’s all a bit non-committed.

With the short incubation and duration of infectious ness we could probably contain this if we all stayed home for 2 weeks and booster vaccinated (is there enough vaccine available????).

But until that’s the directive I will risk assess each trip on emerging situation

My poor friends are currently preparing a shipment of racehorses to Hong Kong for their sales. Sounds a bloody nightmare.