Hunting is in a spot of bother

Millionwords

Visit site
Does that include not keeping any domestic animals?
Aside from the one which is pre-vegan?

Why do Non vegans hold vegans to being 100% perfect, when the point of veganism REDUCING harm as much as they can?

And yet those questioning don't hold themselves to any level because vegans aren't 100% and never claimed they were.

Thats entirely flawed logic on why you shouldn't do the best you can..."because they arent".
Its a ridiculous premise whether the subject is veganism or driving or anything else an individual does.

Fred66

Visit site
Fox hunting and shooting are predominantly for pleasure. There are not many people that shoot to survive these days. You can hardly compare a animal hunting for food to a organised shoot, The only animal I can think of that kills for fun is the domestic cat.

I would imagine that many of you who are fervently arguing against any form of hunting are vegetarian which means that the following pov will not sway you either.

Chickens are raised for slaughter to feed people, they spend probably 6-8 weeks in barns in large numbers, some have access to outdoor areas some don’t, they are then collected and killed and enter the food chain

Grouse and pheasant are raised outside, they have a life span upwards of 6 months, many will be shot some will escape. When dead some will enter the food chain some may not, to the dead animal it won’t matter.

Whilst hesitating to attribute human emotions to either bird I know which one I’d rather be.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site

Why do Non vegans hold vegans to being 100% perfect, when the point of veganism REDUCING harm as much as they can?

And yet those questioning don't hold themselves to any level because vegans aren't 100% and never claimed they were.

Thats entirely flawed logic on why you shouldn't do the best you can..."because they arent".
Its a ridiculous premise whether the subject is veganism or driving or anything else an individual does.
I think you rather misunderstood the point of my question, I do not consider shooting to be cruel (fishing I am not happy about, at all, in any form) I do consider that people who claim to be vegan, but have pets that eat meat, to be somewhat hypocritical, especially when they are anti hunting and shooting on so called moral and ethical grounds.

Millionwords

Visit site
I think you rather misunderstood the point of my question, I do not consider shooting to be cruel (fishing I am not happy about, at all, in any form) I do consider that people who claim to be vegan, but have pets that eat meat, to be somewhat hypocritical, especially when they are anti hunting and shooting on so called moral and ethical grounds.
I understood perfectly. What is one supposed to do? Feed them something unsuitable? Pass them on? Shoot them?

Calling it hypocritical is exactly what my response is referring to. We are REDUCING harm as best we can given the circumstances.

Should we do nothing and tell people who do they are hypocrites?

Sandstone1

Visit site
I would imagine that many of you who are fervently arguing against any form of hunting are vegetarian which means that the following pov will not sway you either.

Chickens are raised for slaughter to feed people, they spend probably 6-8 weeks in barns in large numbers, some have access to outdoor areas some don’t, they are then collected and killed and enter the food chain

Grouse and pheasant are raised outside, they have a life span upwards of 6 months, many will be shot some will escape. When dead some will enter the food chain some may not, to the dead animal it won’t matter.

Whilst hesitating to attribute human emotions to either bird I know which one I’d rather be.
I can see your point and do not disagree as I think factory farming is a abomination. Personally I feel if someone kills a animal to eat and survive its one thing. I do not think many people in this country do these days. However to have a organised sport to kill animals for fun is to me morally wrong.

Fred66

Visit site
I understood perfectly. What is one supposed to do? Feed them something unsuitable? Pass them on? Shoot them?

Calling it hypocritical is exactly what my response is referring to. We are REDUCING harm as best we can given the circumstances.

But if you are going to preach to others you should uphold those values, so you should not be having a pet cat.

Millionwords

Visit site

what would you suggest we do? I don't think you are comprehending what I wrote?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Its immoral to shoot for fun. If you live half way up a mountain and cant get to your local supermarket if you want to shoot the odd rabbit for the pot thats one thing. If you enjoy blasting birds out of the sky purely for fun that is immoral.
I do not own a cat either.

Millionwords

Visit site

@YorksG im not sure what you don't understand about this statement?

YorksG

Visit site
what would you suggest we do? I don't think you are comprehending what I wrote?
I comprehend what you have written, I am presuming from your response that you owned the animal prior to becoming vegan, although you did not state that. I can however believe that it is hypocritical to feed your animal on meat, while decreeing that people who shoot for food, are immoral.

Millionwords

Visit site
I comprehend what you have written, I am presuming from your response that you owned the animal prior to becoming vegan, although you did not state that. I can however believe that it is hypocritical to feed your animal on meat, while decreeing that people who shoot for food, are immoral.
Most are shooting for fun. Not food.

Millionwords

Visit site
You have asked them all? Or are you saying that the kill is not eaten? Do you believe it is immoral to shoot rabbits
David Tomlinson wrote an article in the Shooting Times about the problem of disposing of surplus shot game and the correspondents all agreed too many shoots producing too much excess game for game dealers to cope with. I take it then that those people don't know what they are talking about.
I have not asked them. But as Sandstone1 said above...

Why must my thought's have be whiter than white before other people do some self reflection of issues raised?

I'm perfectly happy with my actions in the world, and I seek ways to improve on that when I can. It doesn't need justifying, when there are so many others doing nothing or doing active harm.

Clodagh

Visit site
Why is getting enjoyment out of something so awful?
In Australia they stopped duck shooting (I believe as a result of anti pressure). Over the next few years the duck population grew to the point they were dying of disease. People were then paid to go and cull them.
So I assume it’s ok to kill something if there’s no enjoyment?
Man has always hunted and people who think we should have evolved beyond that sort of thing well we really aren’t a different level of being.

YorksG

Visit site
I have not asked them. But as Sandstone1 said above...

Why must my thought's have be whiter than white before other people do some self reflection of issues raised?

I'm perfectly happy with my actions in the world, and I seek ways to improve on that when I can. It doesn't need justifying, when there are so many others doing nothing or doing active harm.
I'm glad you are happy with your actions, however being whiter than white is rather necessary, if you are calling others out for their legal activities, imo