Hunting is in a spot of bother

GSD Woman

Visit site
So people don't understand the difference between hunting on foot with guns vs trail hunting? I'm very confused. Or am I the person not understanding the difference?

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Has the hunt in question condemned the actions of its named staff member yet? I can see they've chosen to cancel their boxing day meet but I've not seen a comment from them regarding the video of their staff torturing a live animal. That's been three days or so now hasn't it?
I think they were trying to claim that he's nothing to do with the hunt ?‍♀️?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Has the hunt in question condemned the actions of its named staff member yet? I can see they've chosen to cancel their boxing day meet but I've not seen a comment from them regarding the video of their staff torturing a live animal. That's been three days or so now hasn't it?
Oh, I just looked that up and they say it is because the fields were waterlogged?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Has the East Essex Hunt made any official statement on the fox torturing video since this initial one?

A local hunt told ITV that they have "been made aware of an incident on December 4 which does not involve any of the hunt’s employees and is unrelated to any activities of the hunt who were not out hunting on that day. In light of this [we are] making further enquiries."

Not even a generic statement agreeing with the universal revulsion and horror that all right minded individuals have expressed about it, whether they be pro or anti hunt?

Methinks the hunt hierarchy are bitterly regretting that recent 4 page spread which features them in H&H, which will make any back-pedalling re their involvement very tricky...

Because of the holiday period it may be a few days yet before the individual is formally named by police. That he will face charges of some sort is a given.

TGM

Visit site
Hunting is in a huge spot of bother. Just look at today's Daily Fail - a report on a hunt with bloodhounds but you only need to look at the comments to see that the general public are totally unaware of the difference and hate hunting with a passion and 'despise the toffs that rip apart foxes'.

The whole article is wrong as it refers to the 100's of hunt followers that 'were out today', lazy journalism.

That article is an example of the most appaling journalism. They have mixed up a report of hunting with a 'clean boot' hunt, the South Down Bloodhounds, with information about a 'trail hunt' with a traditional foxhound pack. The writing is so bad that you can't work out which is which. Even worse, the captions of the photos they have published of the South Downs Bloodhounds say that they are 'trail hunting' rather than hunting the 'clean boot'. I'm sure this is not the fault of the South Downs Bloodhounds who have submitted the photos to the paper in good faith, more likely the case of some lowly poorly paid intern who has cobbled together some a jumble of text and photos, without doing any background research first.

teapot

Visit site
That article is an example of the most appaling journalism. They have mixed up a report of hunting with a 'clean boot' hunt, the South Down Bloodhounds, with information about a 'trail hunt' with a traditional foxhound pack. The writing is so bad that you can't work out which is which. Even worse, the captions of the photos they have published of the South Downs Bloodhounds say that they are 'trail hunting' rather than hunting the 'clean boot'. I'm sure this is not the fault of the South Downs Bloodhounds who have submitted the photos to the paper in good faith, more likely the case of some lowly poorly paid intern who has cobbled together some a jumble of text and photos, without doing any background research first.

Will be interested to see if the SDB post anything - they're usually very quick to promote their clean boot stance.

They might not have even submitted them given they're copyrighted to a local photographer, who's used the term on his facebook and instagram posts of those images...

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
Who is or has justified this? This was done by individuals and at this point a hunt per se has not been involved in any formal way. Not all hunts should be disbanded though you are entitled to your opinion. There are many, many hunts that have done nothing wrong.
Anyone who goes hunting is justifying it by default. If you go hunting knowing that its not actually trail hunting and the hunt is using terrier man than you are also guilty in my opinion. How anyone can be part of it is beyond me.

palo1

Visit site
Anyone who goes hunting is justifying it by default. If you go hunting knowing that its not actually trail hunting and the hunt is using terrier man than you are also guilty in my opinion. How anyone can be part of it is beyond me.

Well it's perfectly fine for you to hold that opinion. Thankfully we live in a country where a diversity of views are possible. No hunting person will justify what was on the video. Yesterday there was a huge amount of support shown by ordinary people at hunt meets across the country - in small towns hundreds and thousands of people gathered to see horses and hounds and to show their support. Whether you like it or not, there are a diversity of views on hunting.

Clodagh

Visit site
Terrier men are not proof of illegal hunting, if hounds mark to ground (which they can do if looking for a trail or not) it is legal to dig to and shoot the fox if the landowner requests it.

Koweyka

Visit site
There were also hundreds of people out protesting against it, many councils refused to allow meets to be held in town centres, the Wynnstay Hunt held an illegal gathering in Malpas yesterday and were moved on by the police. The Western Hunt that killed Mini had about three people turn out. At the hunt I was at yesterday there were more antis than riders.
It’s a dying “tradition” I hope this year is the last time this “gathering” is allowed.

Clodagh

Visit site
There were also hundreds of people out protesting against it, many councils refused to allow meets to be held in town centres, the Wynnstay Hunt held an illegal gathering in Malpas yesterday and were moved on by the police. The Western Hunt that killed Mini had about three people turn out. At the hunt I was at yesterday there were more antis than riders.
It’s a dying “tradition” I hope this year is the last time this “gathering” is allowed.

i agree that it is on its last legs, mainly bought about by itself. When I hunted, pre ban, I remember the hunt master then saying that it would do itself in.

Koweyka

Visit site
Terrier men are not proof of illegal hunting, if hounds mark to ground (which they can do if looking for a trail or not) it is legal to dig to and shoot the fox if the landowner requests it.

So when the terrier men are digging out (or filling in badger setts) on land that they have no permission to be on, which they frequently do, it’s just because they are bad at map reading ? Confused ? Or behaving exactly as described in the webinars….the soft underbelly

Clodagh

Visit site
So when the terrier men are digging out (or filling in badger setts) on land that they have no permission to be on, which they frequently do, it’s just because they are bad at map reading ? Confused ? Or behaving exactly as described in the webinars….the soft underbelly
I was just stating a legal fact.

Koweyka

Visit site
i agree that it is on its last legs, mainly bought about by itself. I hen I hunted, pre ban, I remember the hunt master then saying that it would do itself in.

Hunting is destroying itself, look at yesterday with what happened with hounds all over the country.

Many hounds killed or injured on the A18 after they “spilled out” onto the carriage way, causing a big accident, people were traumatised after hitting them. No Sabs we’re in the area, I hadn’t even heard of the hunt involved.

Again the Wynnstay yesterday, a hound was hit by a car with two young children in, who then watched the huntsman kick the dying hound to see if it was dead before throwing it on the back of a quad bike.

It’s not a one off hounds causing accidents, it’s tragic for the hounds, a trail leading on to an A road ? A trail laid close to an A road ? Or a four legged trail that also ran across.

This isn’t directed at you at you Clodagh, but it’s another example of just how wrong “trail” hunting is when the lives of the public including children are being put at risk on the roads for a “sport”

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
i agree that it is on its last legs, mainly bought about by itself. When I hunted, pre ban, I remember the hunt master then saying that it would do itself in.

Indeed. There was some interesting footage on the news last night of hunting people in tweeds beating the shit out of a guy backed up against a wall, apparently for carrying an anti hunt placard. I accept the footage might have been cut, and sabs are not wholly innocent victims, but there is no excuse for that kind of retaliation, 3 or more on one against a cornered man. Hunting has to find a way to stop this if it is to survive.

lannerch

Visit site
Not in my area there were not I saw a mass of support ( my area includes malpas ) and a fabulous turn out. Countryside traditions live on. https://fb.watch/aaD7X8dOmo/

palo1

Visit site

There are very conflicting reports of the gathering in Malpas and the footage shows a different story to that of the antis.

lannerch

Visit site
Hunting is destroying itself, look at yesterday with what happened with hounds all over the country.

Many hounds killed or injured on the A18 after they “spilled out” onto the carriage way, causing a big accident, people were traumatised after hitting them. No Sabs we’re in the area, I hadn’t even heard of the hunt involved.

Again the Wynnstay yesterday, a hound was hit by a car with two young children in, who then watched the huntsman kick the dying hound to see if it was dead before throwing it on the back of a quad bike.

It’s not a one off hounds causing accidents, it’s tragic for the hounds, a trail leading on to an A road ? A trail laid close to an A road ? Or a four legged trail that also ran across.

This isn’t directed at you at you Clodagh, but it’s another example of just how wrong “trail” hunting is when the lives of the public including children are being put at risk on the roads for a “sport”
I heard the story with many hounds being killed yesterday was taken down as it was a total misrepresentation, instead a rogue hound stepped out I think in front of a lorry so the paper who had written the story took the article down .

Koweyka

Visit site
Not in my area there were not I saw a mass of support ( my area includes malpas ) and a fabulous turn out. Countryside traditions live on. https://fb.watch/aaD7X8dOmo/

Yes what a resplendent day, the Wynnstay gathered illegally, were dispersed by the police, traumatised children when they hit a hound on the road, what a wonderful tradition when the lives of children are put at risk.
Though the Wynnstay killed a fox in a garden in front of children so clearly terrorising children is nothing new.

Attachments

• B3BC5FED-DACA-4180-A417-9419BFD1D754.jpeg
    B3BC5FED-DACA-4180-A417-9419BFD1D754.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 31
  • A3637B4F-C3A6-43B7-BB46-A3E9BA0FC7BB.jpeg
    A3637B4F-C3A6-43B7-BB46-A3E9BA0FC7BB.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 30

palo1

Visit site
Indeed. There was some interesting footage on the news last night of hunting people in tweeds beating the shit out of a guy backed up against a wall, apparently for carrying an anti hunt placard. I accept the footage might have been cut, and sabs are not wholly innocent victims, but there is no excuse for that kind of retaliation, 3 or more on one against a cornered man. Hunting has to find a way to stop this if it is to survive.

What you saw I think was in Lacock, Wiltshire and the police report is absolutely different to the version you are giving. The initial assault was from a sab toward a hunt supporter. The police had to 'deal' with the sab and were clearly hugely frustrated by their behaviour.

limestonelil

Visit site
There was maybe 5 bloodhounds outside the Black Horse in Skipton High Street yesterday morning. Visitors and shoppers were keen enough to chat to the perceived 'countryfolk' with hounds, but not sure it could be termed support for hunting in any way.

Koweyka

Visit site
I heard the story with many hounds being killed yesterday was taken down as it was a total misrepresentation, instead a rogue hound stepped out I think in front of a lorry so the paper who had written the story took the article down .

There are a lot of eye witnesses saying different….rogue hound, I would put a laughing emoji if it wasn’t so tragic for the hound. Hounds are loose on roads all the time, if a pack contains rogue hounds then it shouldn’t be allowed out, the risks are too great.