Hunting is in a spot of bother

Petmurf

Visit site
Local hunt going on in the fields and woods behind my house as I type, 30+ men with guns on foot and a big pack of dogs running everywhere including peoples gardens

Petmurf

Visit site
There’s no recognised hunting on Sundays. Not saying it’s not happening but it won’t be an official pack.
do you know which hunt it is? Boxing Day hunts should be going out tomorrow.

Its just a local one that happens every Boxing Day here, organised by the guy up our lane who thinks he’s a farmer, he rents the land from the Dartmouth Estate

palo1

Visit site
There are plenty of “fox hunts” meeting today and not deferring until tomorrow.

Local hunt going on in the fields and woods behind my house as I type, 30+ men with guns on foot and a big pack of dogs running everywhere including peoples gardens

I don't think they will be registered hunts meeting today. It sounds as if it is a 'pirate' pack that are flushing foxes to guns. They are allowed to do that with 2 hounds. Are the dogs 'hounds' or a variety of shooting or other dogs? It sounds more like an informal shoot than a fox hunt.

Petmurf

Visit site
I don't think they will be registered hunts meeting today. It sounds as if it is a 'pirate' pack that are flushing foxes to guns. They are allowed to do that with 2 hounds. Are the dogs 'hounds' or a variety of shooting or other dogs? It sounds more like an informal shoot than a fox hunt.

Definately hounds and a big pack of them

palo1

Visit site
Definately hounds and a big pack of them

They are unlikely to be a registered pack as Boxing Day hunt meetings have been arranged for tomorrow. The number of guns sounds very unusual too for any kind of standard trail hunt - if they are carrying out vermin control, they may be allowed 2 hounds to flush foxes but that doesn't sound like what you have going on either! Very peculiar.

The vast majority of convictions under the Hunting Act are outside the activities of organised trail hunts - this sounds a bit like the kind of situation where illegal hunting may be going on. It certainly doesn't sound anything like an organised trail hunt and if you know who has organised it (the bloke up the road) then it probably is outside trail hunting auspices and conventions.

Sorry - second edit; information about hunting act convictions is available from The Ministry of Justice.

Last edited:

lannerch

Visit site
None of the local packs are mounted, wrong sort of country. Two registered and third local pirate pack, there was another pirate pack until a couple of years ago...
How can they trail hunt on foot , a glorified dog walk! And I am a hunting supporter. ( but repulsed as most are by that thugs behaviour in the video)

Petmurf

Visit site
None of the local packs are mounted, wrong sort of country. Two registered and third local pirate pack, there was another pirate pack until a couple of years ago...

No horses just about 20 + dogs and 30+ people. Saw 2 Police cars heading up the hill late this afternoon but probably because they had blocked the road with their trucks badly parked

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
No horses just about 20 + dogs and 30+ people. Saw 2 Police cars heading up the hill late this afternoon but probably because they had blocked the road with their trucks badly parked
Yes a friend drove up and said that the idiots had parked all up the road, making it almost impassable, fools, as if the road isn't bad enough!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
How do they keep up .don’t get me wrong festiveG I do not doubt you for a minute just am amazed they actually have hunts on foot
There are a number of registered foot packs, mostly they cover rough upland terrain.

eg

http://blencathrafoxhounds.co.uk/

'Because of the terrain, mounted hunting is not feasible in the Lake District. The Blencathra is one of six central fell packs, associated to (but not members of) the Masters of Foxhounds Association through the Central Committee of Fell Packs. The other five packs are the Coniston, Eskdale and Ennerdale, Lunesdale, Melbreak and Ullswater.

Lakeland foxhounds are lighter and more agile than hounds bred by mounted packs. They are bred to cope with difficult terrain. During the summer closed season, hounds from all the fell packs are shown in competition at annual Lakeland shows including Rydal, Lowther and the Threlkeld Puppy Show.'

Last edited:

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Hunting is in a huge spot of bother. Just look at today's Daily Fail - a report on a hunt with bloodhounds but you only need to look at the comments to see that the general public are totally unaware of the difference and hate hunting with a passion and 'despise the toffs that rip apart foxes'.

The whole article is wrong as it refers to the 100's of hunt followers that 'were out today', lazy journalism.

The hunting fraternity are sleepwalking into a bleak future with their eyes firmly closed. Clean up the act, root out those who walk close to or over the line, gain some empathy, launch a huge PR offensive and employ some mea culpa tactics or face a total ban.

Last edited: