I am fuming!!

Tern

Visit site
Don't suppose you have a spare stall or anything - Friends yard has made an old and small stall into a kennel for the dogs that can't quite behave themselves yet - but i would ask her to not bring him until further notice.

LittleGinger

Visit site
Oh poor you OP, and poor little guinea pigs. They're such sweet things.

Whilst I appreciate she came to tell you in person, which is something, if the dog had not killed your pets then you would never have known that it had been around the yard off the lead. You say the guinea pigs have been in recently? I would (perhaps unfairly, as I don't know her) be questioning how many times before today's incident the dog had been free around the yard - and how many times it would have happened in the future had she not been forced to tell you about it today.

So, coupled with the incident with your mare and your waiting list, and the fact that she doesn't seem trustworthy, I personally would be tempted to give notice. If you are not there, you do not know that your new dog ban is actually being adhered to (or other rules).

However, I think recent weeks of dealing with utter fools regularly has made me cynical and extremely intolerant, so you may decide otherwise! :)

Bucks Fizz

Visit site
Poor piggies. How sad :(

I have to say I agree with the others who say give her notice.

As said this bringing the dog must be a regular thing and you only know because of what her dog did today.

If I was a livery on your yard I would actually feel quite aggrieved if you let her stay; who wants to keep their horses where out of control dogs are allowed to run riot? And your comment about ignoring your instructions re the mare... why is she still there?!

BlackRider

Visit site
That's so sad - the poor little piggies :-(

Its such an awful thing :-(

I would ban all dogs from the yard (in fact I wish most yards would!)

Biska

Visit site
As she is so contrite I would ask her for a decent donation to guinea pig rescue!

IMHO No dogs on yards, unless on leads.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
this I hate dogs on yards and if this one managed to get in the run and kill 3 G pigs then it can't have been being supervised either

^5

We don't allow dogs on the yard as we have cats here and our dog. The only exception we give is when our livery takes dog on a hack and dog comes in while they get ready, though i do get miffed when it annoys our cat.

I would ban all dogs off the yard and put it in your yard rules. It takes just one stupid livery to spoil it for the rest.

I hate having hay peed over, brushes taken and chewed, dog poo everywhere etc including in the fields. grossssssssssssss.

RIP little piggies.

Tell this person now no dogs and if she does not accept it she knows where the door is.

Last edited:

Loulou2002

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm confident she won't be bringing the dog down again, I've told her exactly how I feel! we are a small set up like I said but this afternoon I've ordered a white board to write a set of rules down! Something I've never had to do in 7 years. My OH said the same as a earlier poster and is surprised she hasn't given notice out of embarrassment. Poor piggies...... Gutting when it could have been prevented. They were so lovely and really tame

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Poor little piggies. I would be fuming personally. Our dog has killed a friend's chicken before so I know how mortifying it feels but this is so disrespectful. Make sure that the donation for the rescued guinea comes from her pocket - she's lucky that she only has to pay for one! I would consider giving notice, but obviously that is a serious decision that you would need to think carefully about.

Partridg3

Visit site
I would ask her for a 60 pounds donation for the guinea pig rescue, least that way something good will come out if the sorry incident.

Renvers

Visit site
Sorry for you piggies.

I don't like dogs on the yard, if I have to take mine, it stays in the car. Accidents can happen and yes she was good to come and tell you, but she had blatantly disregarded your wishes and your pets suffered, I would be livid too.

If you allow her to stay (and I would consider how much you can trust her) she really has to respect your rules and accept they are there for good reason.

Mithras

Visit site
What an awful way for them to die!

It sounds like she was blatantly disregarding your rule while you were off the yard at work. I also think that if there were two of them there, why couldn't they catch the dog unless they weren't watching it.

But I'm another one that cant stand loose dogs on yards, having been tripped up by too many in the past!

FionaM12

Visit site
I agree with others, she disregarded your rules and I think I'd want her to leave.

I'm really sorry about your piggies. :( If you decide to keep the remaining one and get some more, maybe investing in a predator proof run would be a good idea, in case of other dogs or foxes?

holeymoley

Visit site
The reason I like my current yard so much is that there's no dogs allowed. Don't get me wrong I like dogs that are well mannered, but I don't want to spend my spare time relaxing with my horse to be jumped on by dogs, or have my stuff peed on, or to dodge the poop whether it be in the arena , field or slap bang on the yard!

My horse was fine with dogs until I moved to a yard with two big Rottweiler types, wondered why his ears would go back anytime they were out , turns out they'd try and steal his feed and mooch around him in the field. A quick lift of the hind leg taught them to clear off but even to this day he can be iffy with dogs. Another yard I was at had a lovely friendly retriever type, she was really nice but would poop everywhere and it would just get left. Other livery was allowed to bring her dog up too which spent its time gladly peeing against everything it could come across at leg height. In the school you'd spend you're time looking out for the poops which in the Autumn when theres an abundance of leaves is extremely difficult !

Personally I think you're being too soft on her OP, she's obviously broken the rule already and thought she could get away with it willy nilly. Who knows what else she thinks is acceptable to break or do when you're not there? And as for what did happen I think I'd be infuriated if it was preventable on the first place.

star26

Visit site
Poor piggies, so sad- I hope the one that's left will be ok.

If someone let their dog murder my pets I would be beyond angry. This woman obv has no respect for your rules.
What would worry me now (if you let her stay), is if this woman decides to bring her dog to the yard again, behind your back. It now knows where the guinea pigs live and could well go back for some more 'killing fun'.
If you can I'd get rid of her ASAP.

Hope you can find a companion or two for your little piggie soon.

Jazzy B

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your piggies - I take my own dog to my yard she is however very well behaved, stays to heel and never leaves my side if I was asked by yard manager to stay off yard with her or for her to be on a lead, she most certainly would be, I think that is very disrespectful! However, I should imagine that she is feeling pretty horrid and stupid right now, and I doubt you will ever see her dog again... I would ask for a donation and point out that this is her last warning.... unless of course you just can't bear it!

Loulou2002

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your piggies - I take my own dog to my yard she is however very well behaved, stays to heel and never leaves my side if I was asked by yard manager to stay off yard with her or for her to be on a lead, she most certainly would be, I think that is very disrespectful! However, I should imagine that she is feeling pretty horrid and stupid right now, and I doubt you will ever see her dog again... I would ask for a donation and point out that this is her last warning.... unless of course you just can't bear it!

Thank you...... Yep she feels terrible! Good! And your right they are definitely not bringing the dog down again, I have said I'm really annoyed that they chose to just do what they want! She would be stuck without me helping her as she had a baby a few months ago and I turn her horse out for her every morning, plus the yard is the closest to her house so I think it's sunk in that she would be pretty stuffed without the yard and my help! My dad owns the yard and I run it, he has said one more thing and she's off!

crazycorkey

Visit site
So sorry for your loss.
Considering she obviously cannot be trusted, I would absolutely be having someone check whilst your at work that she is adhering to the rules in your absence.

Poor poor piggies!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm confident she won't be bringing the dog down again, I've told her exactly how I feel! we are a small set up like I said but this afternoon I've ordered a white board to write a set of rules down! Something I've never had to do in 7 years. My OH said the same as a earlier poster and is surprised she hasn't given notice out of embarrassment. Poor piggies...... Gutting when it could have been prevented. They were so lovely and really tame

Hi if you wants some really good signs , these guys do mine they are water proof and look really good permanent signs http://www.archersafetysigns.co.uk/

Last edited:

samleigh

Visit site
I have nothing against dogs at all but not on a yard, on my last livery yard, dogs were allowed and were mostly good fun, had the equivilant of a small pack, but no ones dog was ever responsible for the dog muck all over the yard, it was horrible, even occasionally messing in the hay & peeing up the bales of straw, Every so often YO would go on the rampage, threaten to ban dogs and it would be cleaned up for a week or two..Now on a yard, YO owner has dogs but they get walked and stay in the garden.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Sorry I have to agree with everyone else - why on earth do you want someone on your yard that cannot be trusted. For what you earn in livery you could have spent on vets fees for your mare - and what message have you sent out to all your liveries..... oh really you can do what you like and we will still let you stay. Even if you are desperate for her money - i would give her notice - as how on earth do you know what she is doing behind your back - and if you cannot trust her on your property how on earth can you trust her with your property ?

khalswitz

Visit site
Seriously OP - get rid. She has broken your rules and it has resulted in the death of your pets. What if something happens to a horse due to her lack of respect?

My current yard is dogs on leads only, which I like - previous yard was a private farm, with five dogs, one who used to chase the horses in the field and grab onto tails! My horse now pins ears and stamps at dogs :( I have to warn people not to let their dogs close!