I don't like the sound of this....

Irishcobs

Visit site
I friend of my boss came round yesterday and while generally chatting said her 3 yr old had gone off to a trainer (don't no his name) as he barged through her husband and pushed him into a fence.
She said this trainer has him tied to a concrete block. She asked what this does and he said you don't want to know but he won't barge again!

Immediate alarm bells were ringing in my head and my boss asked if that was really necessary. Bosses friend said as long as he stops barging I don't care what they do!

How is tying a horse to a concrete block going to stop it barging? And what are they doing to him to say 'you don't what to no'?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Only reason I can think of using a solid concrete block would be for a horse that pulls back. Cannot see how it would help on a horse who clearly needs to learn some manners - surely that it handling and discipline?

Irishcobs

Visit site
Thats would I thought. Surely he just needs to be told he can't barge people. I think its a case of they don't have time to teach him manners, in which case why have a youngster!

GTs

Visit site
When you say concrete block I think of a cynder block that will bag into their legs, not sure how it all works though.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Another what? "FUH"? Am I being stupid to not understand what FUH means?

Sounds very odd about the concrete block. Dont know what that teaches the horse. Like someone said, the horse is a 3yo it just needs to learn basic manners like all horses!

PinkFairy

Visit site
Hmm i'd think it strange as well.. i wouldnt have sent my horse off though - would have given him a firm telling off!

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Another what? "FUH"? Am I being stupid to not understand what FUH means?

[/ QUOTE ]

F'd Up Horse

I can not think what you do with a concrete block to stop a barging horse - oh well.

If it was mine it would get kicked accross the chest a few times!!

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Heard stories of people leaving their horses tied up for days on end to teach them to stand still properly.
crazy.gif

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
"If it was mine it would get kicked accross the chest a few times!!"

And what exactly would that teach it GT?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would teach it I am boss, and it can not come in my personal space - when foals are being naughty the mare will often kick them accross the chest.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
GT there are better ways of teaching a horse not to come into your space than booting it. You don't actually need to use physical force or violence. A mare will move her youngster away with just a gesture or a look, horses are that subtle. There are a lot of good tried and tested techniques for getting a horse to stop barging, pressure halters, body language etc. They do work, and it's a hell of a lot better, and longer lasting, than teaching your horse that every time you move your feet you are a threat.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
They are horses. You are not a horse. Unless you start to create a horse/human realtionship with your horse, you will never be 'the boss'. Your horse will simply shut down and stop listening to you.

Daffers

Visit site
In a sense yes, but once the horse has learnt that by being with u he is safe, he'll have no reason to push through , or barge u out of the way.

GTs

Visit site
So let me get this right - me kicking my horse which it's mother would do is not OK, but pressure halters which are a strong halter then a regularly one is OK!! Hmm...

The reality is I have not had problems with my horses, so I must be doing something right!!

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Yes I know what you are saying. But since we will never be horses , and they will never be people, we have to create a whole new language with our horses. We can mimic their behaviour up to a point, eye on eye is basically a get out of my space signal, turning away is an invite to be with us, but we can reinforce that with sensible use of pressure headcollars and positive and negative reinforcement. Horses learn SO quickly. Sadly they also learn to fear their handlers , which in the end produces just as fast.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Sounds absolutely horrendous - surely they should have nipped the barging in the bud and not left it to get to this stage. Poor bloody horse has probably been given no boundaries to work to - Jesus the mind boggles - another FUH as GT says
crazy.gif

Malibu

Visit site
so Gt your theroy is horse is bad=I kick them= good horse?

so you dont think the poor horse will fear you? You are not a horse darling and although a mother can do it to its foal you should not, it dosnt give the same message the mother woululd give or any other horse!

Daffers

Visit site
The halters are not fixed pressure, its only knots in the according places of a normal halter, and they work by pressure and release. Yes answering your question u must be doing something right!!!!!!!

_jetset_

Visit site
I also cannot see how this would help the situation, and I cannot believe methods like this are used when people like Richard Maxwell exist if I am completely honest. He could solve that problem in one session, without pain or fear.

I don't agree with GTs about kicking your horses to stop them barging, but I have to admit I have kicked Hannah on one occasion when she kicked out at me (only did it the once, she has never even threatened since). I just thought that another horse would kick her back if it was above her in the pecking order and it was a knee jerk reaction. With hindsight, she could have booted back twice as hard and then I would have been in trouble...

GTs

Visit site
I think kicking (not as hard as you can, merely a firm kick) is a good way to get a horses attention, when they are not paying attention to you and misbehaving. Horses are herd animals, the way thee gain respect is by putting other horses in their place, this is done partly with body language, but biting and kicking is also part of it.

I never had a horse flinch or become scared of me all it would do is stop them misbehaving and reinforce I AM BOSS!!

Malibu

Visit site
well what you do is up to you, my horses have ALWAYS respected me and still do, i have never kicked them and i wouldnt do as i really cannot see the benefits!

So how often do you kick your horses?

GTs

Visit site
My young one about once a month, my older one once in the year I had her.

When I had them I would challange anyone to a manners contest! They knew how to behave!!

Don't think for a second I would do anything to my horses that was not in their best interest. Even though many people do not believe me I love the beasts!!

I want one of these:

1.jpg