I don't like the sound of this....

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Also I find throwing a brush at them good for desensitizing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - just spat wine at the puter!!

Do you mean AT them so to hit them, or to land near them!! Plastic bags/empty bin bags and haylage wrap can be good for the same thing - esp. on some farms when they are lying around all over the place.........

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean AT them so to hit them, or to land near them!! Plastic bags/empty bin bags and haylage wrap can be good for the same thing - esp. on some farms when they are lying around all over the place.........

[/ QUOTE ]

They generally come flying around corner out of nowhere - with no aim many did not hit, some did, they were all thrown at body height so no legs or head got hit.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They generally come flying around corner out of nowhere - with no aim many did not hit, some did, they were all thrown at body height so no legs or head got hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!! Ahhhh so you HAVE been studying hard at Hogwarts then!!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
OK I'm with GTs on this one, if one of my horses were to kick me, I would kick them right back - that is a language they understand. Sirena raised a leg to me once and only once, I kicked her back - not hard obviously but she never ever did it again. Before anyone jumps on me, I have a bond with this horse that is like no other, she will follow me anywhere even leaving the other horses, we have a deep love and respect for each other and are happy in each other's company, each can read the other like a book.

My two year old was the most difficult youngster I have ever had, and I have had my fair share of youngsters, she, like Sirena is a dominant mare, I have had her since she was a foal. The last eighteen months have been spent teaching her what is right and wrong, this one always pushed the boundaries and did get a slap (never a punch) when she overstepped the mark. This filly is now becoming as close to me as Sirena is and again, will follow me anywhere - she now asks to be let into my space, and, as long as she is polite (which invariably she is now) she is allowed in. I have never ever beaten a horse in my life, but I will use a slap if need dictates. That is MY way, it may not work for others but comparing a slap or a retaliatory kick to beating a horse is just rediculous - if you want to talk horse, just watch them in the field, watch how the second in command disciplines the others, the dominant one merely looks, but once the dominant is gone the second in command takes over - it's called a pecking order.

EllieBeast

Visit site
aww, tried that. she was fine with those, she was fine with those even when i added nuts and bolts to the bucket to make them 10x louder. i have spent hours with her, twice a day, every day for over 3 weeks now, but she is just too damn scared once they get closer to her.
frown.gif
stoopid monkey pony. i think i have resigned myself to the fact that she will need sedating this time round. unless anyone has better ideas?
frown.gif

Sarah

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!! Ahhhh so you HAVE been studying hard at Hogwarts then!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you want the horses to think that you are always watching them............

Patches

Visit site
I've had Patches sedated this time as it's just safer.

However, I have a DVD, Think Equus Approach to Clipping and I'm going to use the methods to "try" and sort Patches out in time for next winter.

I thoroughly recommend it. Was fascinating and the horse was genuinely scared at the start, rearing and barging and he does get through to the horse in the hour....real time.

Patches

Visit site
I agree with JM. I used 3/4 tube of sedalin last year and a twitch and Patches reared before I was even within 20ft of her.

EllieBeast

Visit site
LOL! Thanks for the warning! nope, tried acp already.
Ellie + acp = asleep
asleep Ellie + clippers = wild pony
so i will be booking someone to come and sedate her next week. problem is, we are doing two rounds of xc tomorrow, and she looks like a giant teatowel!! might be some 'interesting' event pics tommorrow. made even more so by tha fact that she has 'go faster' stripes on her sides - another attempt a desensitisation. she will allow the trimmers on her, but not clippers. she looks like she has been caught in a sheep shearing machine!! (if they exist
tongue.gif
)

GTs

Visit site
Weezy - you through brushes too? I though you threw a wellington boot instead? I would do that if I ran out of brushes!!!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Headcollars are quite good for throwing too, with the added bonus that they don't break windows! Years ago I threw a brush at my old mare - it missed her and went straight through the window - damn glass everywhere! I curtain my throwing activities to headcollars now, although I have been know the throw the odd bucket
grin.gif
Sirena lights blue touch paper and retreats

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
shocked.gif
you have wellies in the US, GT's???

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofcourse - everything else takes too long to get off and throw in the horses direction! You can kick off a wellie!!

[ QUOTE ]
yard brooms are for blatting the arse of a "pulling back" horse/pony...they dont do it again!!

[/ QUOTE ]

We use polo mallet handles - they have more spring.

[ QUOTE ]
Headcollars are quite good for throwing too

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I agree - they could get caught in legs if it went horrible wrong. Buckets seem good - I like the idea of water.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
When my horses have tried to strike out at me I've booted the buggers back.......It is dangerous......It is not acceptable.......It's how people get hurt! The big chestnut girl means the world to me, she nipped me on the arma few weeks ago, I damn near knocked her front teeth out, I am NOT about to put up with behaviour like that and no amount of firm 'NO's' would have stopped her from doing it again, a clout in the chops did though, is she head shy and scared of me? No. I bred my 2yo, every time she has gone to nip me/strike out at me she has been firmly repremanded, this hasn't done her any harm, she's an absolute gem to handle!

*Super_Kat waits for the rope halter and wand wielding mob to come and tell her off*

A good firm "NO" should do the trick
smirk.gif

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
*Super_Kat waits for the rope halter and wand wielding mob to come and tell her off*

A good firm "NO" should do the trick

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have you know that those wands are someones lucrative business
wink.gif
wink.gif

Anyone want to buy a job lot of schooling whips and a can of white paint?

Tia

Visit site
You have great horses GTs because you are very clear to your horses what the boundaries are.....in a language that they can understand.

Skhosu

Visit site
To go back to the OP, would love to know what tying to a concrete block would do... cna only imagine! Would never send my horse near THAT trainer.

As to never hit/smack/kick your horse.... I try not to, most of the time they listen to your voice. Btu one of mine will throw his head up and down when he's bored and has several times cut/hit it off the tie ring. He gets growled at, then a light slap if he doesn't sotp and that stops him. That is an example of it being for his own good.
Other than that, I don't need to hit my horses etc., they are perfectly behave on the ground!
Had one that bit, he once threatened to kick, got a slap and never considered it. However, never got hit for he threatening to bite as when we knew him, we knew he was literally scared of hands. No hitting=happy horse and after about a year, he had very nearly stopped trying to bite me... He still hated sister...but she had poked him once and never forgave her.
I disagree that violence is not because of logical thinking...
And would say its more 'do as I say, not as I do'.
Are horses nice to each other? Most of the time maybe, but they know who's in charge and that is the crucial thing. That one who is in charge will most likely have threatened his way to the top, but they are not necessarily scared of him/her.
And no, my horses don't flinch, aren't headshy etc. but they are damn near perfect in terms of manners.
Sorry... think I may have gone on an off-subject rant...excue my post if it jumps about a bit!

Cobnut1

Visit site
Taking your foot to connect with any live animal is totally un-necessary and Cruel beyond doubt.... If i was your horse, and you kicked me, I would bloody well kick you back, and make damn sure you'd never lift your foot to me again. I to am "into" NH, but I do not use a pressure halter...I don't need to, if my horse goes to barge (and he does a lot) I simply yell his name followed by a resounding NO....he knows what i mean.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Try saying NO in a resounding voice if faced with a large angry stallion - sorry but you HAVE to use a whip in that situation. Don't get me wrong, my horses respond to my voice and I do not need to hit them but to say I would never do it is plain stupid because I damn well would if the need arose. I for one am sick to the back teeth of NH people saying theirs is the only way - that shows what closed minds they have and around horses you cannot have a closed mind and succeed. MY horses are barefoot (because they have superb feet - make no mistake I would shoe if I needed to), get no cereals and live out 24/7 for the most part so you could say I was doing NH, I am not, I am doing what common bloody sense tells me to do and I do not feel the need to spout off that mine is the only way.

I think all you NH people are confusing tapping with a whip, kicking back etc with beating a horse - SO NOT TRUE.

siennamum

Visit site
It's interesting because I have had quite a few animals come to me who barge and generally use their weight to get their way. I simply won't stand it and think it can be really dangerous with the children around.
They will only ever barge once. I will do whatever it takes to get the horse to back away from me, and yes it is at that point scared. I will smack or kick if iworks, generally I also use a twitch (pinch) on their shoulder to get them to reverse away from me once I've made my initial point, just to reinforce it.
(My dogs also aren't generally allowed to go through doorways ahead of me)
Unlike your horse, none of mine barge, I don't have to shout NO at them at all really though I do occassionally turn the air blue
blush.gif
They don't tread on my toes and are safe to be around.
Maybe if you gave your horse a good thump and got him to back peddle away from you when he went to barge - he would stop barging.