I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
The Renegade 4WW cutbacks arrived and would not go on, his heels are too wide. It is not the max width that is the problem, it is the width at the heels. I enquired about Fusions, the shop said not with his shape. Soooo, no boots. Dammit!

However... he walked out a bit better this week. Doing a mile in-hand every other day, and managing. So, I guess we will be 'proper' barefoot and just take longer.

However again...

We have turned a corner in his schooling, we are now WORKING in and on trot, as opposed to HAVING a trot.

We did 8 minutes in trot on one rein! Not round and round, we were doing a 30m circle, 2 transitions on it, maintaining balance, outline, rhythm.

4 minutes trot on the other rein. Direct transitions, even rein back to trot!

He was listening, trying, totally bought into the exercises.

He is amazing for an old, medically challenged horse!

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
As a practical step, I just ordered some Cavallo Simples on sale. From the fit kit, I know that the Cavallo size 6 are like wellies, so are not for hacking, but I think it is prudent with a recovering Lami horse to have some boots that will at least go on, as a just in case scenario.

Because he's worth it!

TPO

Visit site
As a practical step, I just ordered some Cavallo Simples on sale. From the fit kit, I know that the Cavallo size 6 are like wellies, so are not for hacking, but I think it is prudent with a recovering Lami horse to have some boots that will at least go on, as a just in case scenario.

Because he's worth it!

Have a look at EPS pads of the cavallos are roomy.

Theres an article about them on Hoof Geek...I'll see if I can find the link

https://hoofgeek.com/unsung-hero/

Red-1

Visit site
Have a look at EPS pads of the cavallos are roomy.

Theres an article about them on Hoof Geek...I'll see if I can find the link

https://hoofgeek.com/unsung-hero/

I agree with everything in that article. Good article, but I think it could go further...

I don't show photos of the hoof just after trimming, as I trust my trimmer and she trims for function and to improve the hoof. That means that she trims so the surfaces my horse is on (deep but firm bed, gravel, carpet fibre) will open and strengthen the foot. That means that, sometimes, a flat photo won't show the 'expected' foot shape. People would criticise that "The frog has been touched!" Whereas, I know why the frog was touched, and can visibly see it open up and beef up with the way that the trim improves the function. The way it is trimmed uses the fulcrums and angles to stress the foot in the best way for development.

I also agree that the surfaces he is on help. I laid new gravel on the driveway when I did my first barefoot rehab, in 2010. I chose the school surface for barefoot too, comfortable and supportive. The bed, I would like to be back from the door, but, at this stage, I think he wants to be on a supportive surface 99% of the time. So he has it to the door and right up to the net.

The road walking is because it gives me a head start with trimming :cool: and he does need, eventually, to go barefoot on the road, so I think slow conditioning is a reasonable way to start. That is why I am doing it in hand, to make it easier to bridge the gap between what he can do now and what I want him to be able to do comfortably. Even with boots and pads, I would continue with some hand walking barefoot, both for trimming help and for the start of conditioning.

Good article, it has made me feel better about buying wellies-in-fit boots. I have an old yoga mat, I bet that would make nice pads. I will give it a try when they come, even though I really just bought them for emergencies. I would have hated to have him in pain and wish I had bought them.

That said, I just got back from another 1 mile walk out. He stormed round! It is like with the riding, at first we did just walk. Then having a half circle at trot was an effort. Then we, painstakingly, built up the trot until... this week we are suddenly WORKING in trot. IME, this is where progress increases exponentially.

Such seems to be with his feet. At first he 'did' the walk, but was slow. I have the occasional video showing toe first landing, the last one was flat. Suddenly he seems comfortable to walk at a better pace, that is both stride length, flight and landing and also length of stride. It seems like finally we are turning the corner to actually move correctly on the road too. This week has been the difference, and his frog has done the 'opening flower' thing. I have seen it on other horses too, a new trim, better movement, the frogs all start with a little crevice. You query thrush, but no smell. The crevice gets deeper, still no smell, then opens up. The opening opens like a flower and hey presto, the frog is wider and then beefs up to match. Like magic.

I think that sometimes we don't realise how long it will take. I think he took a backward step when it froze. I guess the beautifully shaped frog didn't;t have the support inside the shaping to improve the foot, also I think his feet hurt with the cold, as, I now find, is common with laminitics.

Thank you for the article, it has confirmed some things in my mind.

Red-1

Visit site

Red-1

Visit site
There were some more, but that first one in the post above ^^^ was my favourite.

A couple of the others...

155328309_10219942409174591_5208634880677404078_o.jpg
155809296_10219942408374571_4260114207534514040_o.jpg

I also had video of our third canter. On the left rein it was in-and-out a bit, so a bit of tranter :p with a few three time steps. The right rein was a bit better. He only has a go at canter though, way away from being ready to work in canter as opposed to having a short burst.

Red-1

Visit site
Great length of stride and lateral bend. Super rider posture, congratulations on turning him around.

I think many cobs don't keep the length of stride as they don't keep the length of rein as they don't seek down to find the contact, as they need to be off the leg and 'bought in' in the mind for that.

We have only done (mostly) 10 minutes a session, but have chipped away at him accepting a contact (as before he would just go short/inverted and insert his ears up your nose, and if you brought the contact back to him, he would yoik you almost out of the saddle. I did loads on the floor and long reins (well, as loads as you can do in 10 minute sessions).

Getting him to buy into going forward did involve a whip, but not much as he is a thinking chap, so it involved more celery than whip. Would have been able to say more carrot than stick, but with his metabolic thing, carrots were out! Celery celebrations in!

palo1

Visit site
There were some more, but that first one in the post above ^^^ was my favourite.

A couple of the others...

View attachment 66939
View attachment 66940

I also had video of our third canter. On the left rein it was in-and-out a bit, so a bit of tranter :p with a few three time steps. The right rein was a bit better. He only has a go at canter though, way away from being ready to work in canter as opposed to having a short burst.

You both look amazing and this really is an inspiring thread in lots of ways. Brilliant!! :) :)

Red-1

Visit site
He's fab, but I wouldn't much care if he was doing a rodeo act if it still made you smile that much.
*whispers* he did a little buck when I asked for the first canter, canter left. He said no, so I gave him a little flick. He squeals whenever he is affronted and his little back legs did come up. We then did a round of tranter, during which you can hear Mr Red chuckling like Muttley at Rigsby's canter attempt. It was rather disorganised. Hence no 'posh' photo of canter yet, as it is strung out, barely ever 3 time, like a motorbike...

Right rein was a bit better.

But then, not so long back his trot was as bad. He initially gave a little buck when we started trot too. He would simply walk and get a bit cross that he had to hitch up his ideas. One little flick, squeal, little elevation of the hind legs and into action. Never needed 2 flicks. It has only happened the twice, once for each pace. Clever Rigsby. Upping his ideas.

We may not canter for a week or so, get the trot stronger, it still tends to drift off the outer track. Not doing circles other than the odd 25m circle yet. Sometimes do a 3/4 line to get him moving about a bit, and occasionally do a rein change. I am aware that he would break very easily if he had to start tight turns at his age and stage.

A bit disappointing this morning, we never do 2 days running on the school, so it is walk-out day, in-hand... but... it is foggy, so no work today!

jnb

Visit site
The phrase "Just a cob" should be retired, my cob (both of them, I include my dear departed LW in this) got me through both heaven and hell.
My youngster, literally gave me a reason to keep going when I thought I had inherited my dad's medullary thyroid cancer (and they found a lump in my thyroid).
Worth his weight in gold & I have been offered blank cheques for both of them, no amount of money would persuade me to have parted with either of them.
Looking good @Red-1 - you're about 1/10 of my weight, I wish I looked as good in the saddle!

Red-1

Visit site
The phrase "Just a cob" should be retired, my cob (both of them, I include my dear departed LW in this) got me through both heaven and hell.
My youngster, literally gave me a reason to keep going when I thought I had inherited my dad's medullary thyroid cancer (and they found a lump in my thyroid).
Worth his weight in gold & I have been offered blank cheques for both of them, no amount of money would persuade me to have parted with either of them.
Looking good @Red-1 - you're about 1/10 of my weight, I wish I looked as good in the saddle!

He certainly has given me something to concentrate on in the bad times. He is all character. Mr Red doesn't 'get' it. I have had to compare him to the little stray dog we found, Hector. That dog had nothing to offer. Ugly, ill, skinny. Not housetrained. Smelly. Bent legs. Old. Cost £1,400 in vets bills soon after we took him in. But, Mr Red loves that little dog more than is sensible. So do I.

Hector is also brave, dignified, loving, and squeezes every ounce out of life. He was supposed to be 7 (according to the vet) when we found him, but that was over 6 years ago. He struggles to get on the bed now, or the sofa. We have bought him supplements, infra red jackets, ramps... Because the dog is so important.

I have told Mr Red that Rigsby is the horse version of Hector. Has more to give than can be seen with the objective eye.

Red-1

Visit site
You both look amazing and this really is an inspiring thread in lots of ways. Brilliant!! :):)

I am sure there will be bad times too. The dreaded spring is coming. Rigsby has been happy on the arena in winter, but I need to make a decision as to whether to try him at grass with a muzzle or not. I will have his blood testes re-done first.

Mr Red resents the fact that, with his issues, one of us will make a mistake. Rigsby will, one day, have too much sugar and get lami back. He resents the upcoming kicking we will give ourselves, and the upset it will cause.

Also, I really anticipated hacking being our thing, but as yet I can't seem to get him comfortable enough on the road when ridden. Buying boots has been an expensive failure. Also, he has a weird crack-thing going on with his coronets. In fact, I will post a photo, maybe someone here will have seen something like it before.

This is it with the scabs cleaned off...

154889901_127909555834483_2481121111747004110_n.jpg

This one is before cleaning scabs at the side... So you can see the scabs aren't enormous.

155064765_811525693049280_8868981022871051238_n.jpg

I think it may be his over production of keratin?

Or, it could be allergy?

He does have rubbish skin.

It is in all 4 feet, so not an abscess or injury.

It starts with the coronets being a bit crusty. Then I clean the crusts off and they are a bit bloody. Then, this big crack is left.

I contacted his old owner, she said he used to get similar cracks but thinks that they were lower down. I worry that one day, his feet will fall off! I know it isn't likely, but I don't like things I don't understand. These cracks fall into that category.

He, annoyingly, has but a bit of weight on. Cutting his feed won't please his majesty. Soaking hay has put my shoulder out, and Mr Red's too.

So, not all hearts and flowers. But he does make me smile. It also makes me cross when people thing older horses with issues aren't worth anything and should be PTS.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Can't help with the cracks but would a hay cube be a good investment if your shoulder is sore? You could still have it in a small hole haynet - just put the whole thing in the hay cube for soaking, pull the plug out to drain it and then wheel it into his stable.

I totally understand where you're coming from about turning him out with a muzzle - it seems a lot kinder to have him doing what's natural (as much as possible) but you also have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" argument. Would he be out with company if he was on grass? I think that would be the only thing that would swing it for me, if the grass and muzzle meant he had a friend.

Red-1

Visit site
Can't help with the cracks but would a hay cube be a good investment if your shoulder is sore? You could still have it in a small hole haynet - just put the whole thing in the hay cube for soaking, pull the plug out to drain it and then wheel it into his stable.

I totally understand where you're coming from about turning him out with a muzzle - it seems a lot kinder to have him doing what's natural (as much as possible) but you also have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" argument. Would he be out with company if he was on grass? I think that would be the only thing that would swing it for me, if the grass and muzzle meant he had a friend.

I am actually going to leave it to the vet check. I ummed and ahhhed for ages, as, although he has an irregularity on his vaccination record, he is protected until May. That was my goal to keep him healthy until May on an emergency diet, where whatever his bloods show, he is likely safe. Then, come spring, we can do new bloods, worm count, re-start his vaccinations etc. Like a proper baseline.

But, much as I previously liked my previous vets, they simply didn't seem that interested in an old cob in the same way they did in more sporty horses. Even then, the last thing they did for the sporty horse ended up with them rushing and making a mistake, that cost me ££££. I didn't complain, paid the bill, but then, I gave pre-warning that I wanted to think about X rays for Rigsby's lami feet, yet on the day they X ray machine was taken by a different vet... The blood test was not done well at all, he stabbed over and over looking for a vein (for his rig test) I had to stop the vet on his 20th attempt and say clip it or don't stab it... I wanted a discussion as to how to keep Rigsby healthy the vet seemed rushed and wanted to be away.

This morning I bit the bullet and contacted a different vet. That was scary, as the previous ones were simply the 'best' as in for in-patients. But, Rigsby just needs someone who will discuss things with me, so I just signed up for a different practice. The new vets concentrates on equipping the vehicles better, so horses don't have to travel. I think that suits us better, for now.

I still think the previous one is the better 'hospital' but that isn't my priority for Rigsby.

I will base turnout decisions on the results of the bloods and discussion with the vet, I think. Maybe he will end up with a couple of hours muzzled and the rest of the time on the arena or stable. That would seem fair. He would also go onto the P45 from Trinity Consultants. I do have a little paddock that wouldn't take much eating, but that has shade for summer. If he could get out on that in the day, that would be great.

Annagain

Visit site
I am actually going to leave it to the vet check. I ummed and ahhhed for ages, as, although he has an irregularity on his vaccination record, he is protected until May. That was my goal to keep him healthy until May on an emergency diet, where whatever his bloods show, he is likely safe. Then, come spring, we can do new bloods, worm count, re-start his vaccinations etc. Like a proper baseline.

But, much as I previously liked my previous vets, they simply didn't seem that interested in an old cob in the same way they did in more sporty horses. Even then, the last thing they did for the sporty horse ended up with them rushing and making a mistake, that cost me ££££. I didn't complain, paid the bill, but then, I gave pre-warning that I wanted to think about X rays for Rigsby's lami feet, yet on the day they X ray machine was taken by a different vet... The blood test was not done well at all, he stabbed over and over looking for a vein (for his rig test) I had to stop the vet on his 20th attempt and say clip it or don't stab it... I wanted a discussion as to how to keep Rigsby healthy the vet seemed rushed and wanted to be away.

This morning I bit the bullet and contacted a different vet. That was scary, as the previous ones were simply the 'best' as in for in-patients. But, Rigsby just needs someone who will discuss things with me, so I just signed up for a different practice. The new vets concentrates on equipping the vehicles better, so horses don't have to travel. I think that suits us better, for now.

I still think the previous one is the better 'hospital' but that isn't my priority for Rigsby.

I will base turnout decisions on the results of the bloods and discussion with the vet, I think. Maybe he will end up with a couple of hours muzzled and the rest of the time on the arena or stable. That would seem fair. He would also go onto the P45 from Trinity Consultants. I do have a little paddock that wouldn't take much eating, but that has shade for summer. If he could get out on that in the day, that would be great.

You can always ask to be referred to the original vets if you need a hospital. We have a similar arrangement. We have used a local, very experienced vet who knows the two oldies inside out, for years. He is semi retired (has kept old clients but not taking on new) and a one man band so while he has a base, he doesn't have a 'hospital' as such. His holiday cover etc is done by a local big practice and he also refers to them for anything he can't manage at his base. We do their 'horse health' scheme - £10 a month for jabs, worm counts and wormers if needed, dental checks and free callout but use local vet for any issues. We haven't needed to be referred back them for anything big yet but it's there if necessary. Both vets know the arrangement and are happy.

chaps89

Visit site
You might find overnight turnout suits him better, lower sugar levels then, though obviously you'd need to build him up to that length of time.
For the hay, does it have a plug so you can drain it before lifting? I have in the past had a tie ring directly above the soaker so I can use the haynet string and thread it through the tie ring to lift it out, like a little pulley system. I leave it tied up to drain which makes it more manageable.
I also have a 'clean' wheelbarrow that no muck ever goes in, just for moving soaked hay around.
Not sure if any of those things might help but soaked hay is the pits.
An alternative might be Timothy haylage? It does work out more expensive (less so if you use small bale hay, unfortunately much more so if you usually have big bales) but it's so much easier to manage!

Red-1

Visit site
You might find overnight turnout suits him better, lower sugar levels then, though obviously you'd need to build him up to that length of time.
For the hay, does it have a plug so you can drain it before lifting? I have in the past had a tie ring directly above the soaker so I can use the haynet string and thread it through the tie ring to lift it out, like a little pulley system. I leave it tied up to drain which makes it more manageable.
I also have a 'clean' wheelbarrow that no muck ever goes in, just for moving soaked hay around.
Not sure if any of those things might help but soaked hay is the pits.
An alternative might be Timothy haylage? It does work out more expensive (less so if you use small bale hay, unfortunately much more so if you usually have big bales) but it's so much easier to manage!

Yes, we have a pair of water butts, with taps at the bottom that drain. It is still tricky to lift them out as they are too tall. I did look at the haylage, they say either Hogh Fibre Rye or Timothy. I just didn't want to change anything until he has had the vet to check his levels. He has an appointment for next Thursday, so hopefully know what he is like then. My gut feeling is that he would be OK for some turnout, if slowly built up in the little paddock.

I don't think I would trust him with a Haycube. He would either eat too quickly, or if I net inside the cube, he would undoubtedly get tangled.

paddy555

Visit site
Also, I really anticipated hacking being our thing, but as yet I can't seem to get him comfortable enough on the road when ridden. Buying boots has been an expensive failure. Also, he has a weird crack-thing going on with his coronets. In fact, I will post a photo, maybe someone here will have seen something like it before.

View attachment 66997

This one is before cleaning scabs at the side... So you can see the scabs aren't enormous.

View attachment 66998

Or, it could be allergy?

It starts with the coronets being a bit crusty. Then I clean the crusts off and they are a bit bloody. Then, this big crack is left.

I contacted his old owner, she said he used to get similar cracks but thinks that they were lower down. I worry that one day, his feet will fall off! I know it isn't likely, but I don't like things I don't understand. These cracks fall into that category.
I also don't like things that I don't understand. I would be asking a good horse vet exactly what was going on with the cracks. If they were unable to supply a satisfactory explanation I would ask them to send very clear pics to Dr Knott so that I was doubly sure everything was fine. I am sure many may find that over the top but better to be safe than sorry IMHO.

Re the booting to get him out riding what would most likely work would be the largest scoots that you tried that twisted. I expect you had a fit kit. I never use them for scoots I don't find they are accurate enough. If you have the real thing with straps on the front it will probably twist a lot less. To prevent damage to the back of the pastern/heels I would use the endurance gaiters. (not the gaiters that come with the boots) The larger size boot would leave sufficient room for them and with that combination the heels should be safe.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am sure there will be bad times too. The dreaded spring is coming. Rigsby has been happy on the arena in winter, but I need to make a decision as to whether to try him at grass with a muzzle or not. I will have his blood testes re-done first.

Mr Red resents the fact that, with his issues, one of us will make a mistake. Rigsby will, one day, have too much sugar and get lami back. He resents the upcoming kicking we will give ourselves, and the upset it will cause.

View attachment 66997

View attachment 66998

Or, it could be allergy?

He, annoyingly, has but a bit of weight on. Cutting his feed won't please his majesty. Soaking hay has put my shoulder out, and Mr Red's too.

So, not all hearts and flowers. But he does make me smile. It also makes me cross when people thing older horses with issues aren't worth anything and should be PTS.

I really don't want to write this Red but it looks horribly like pemphigus ETA and some things you've written about his thin skin fit too :(