I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

TPO

Visit site
In theory I agree. It is obviously better to have transport to train babies/any horses how to load and travel. Neither I nor CI had/have transport (or towing vehicles) with our 2yr olds so it's not an option.

Basic groundwork should get any horse loading. That is all that the "good and the greats" do. For me using that groundwork to get a horse confident walking over different surfaces and into narrow spaces etc was just an extra step to cement the training.

My horses have always been travelled carefully so what happens in the trailer/box has never been as much of a concern than ensuring that they go in it.

Theres nothing new under the sun and o secret to loading horses. Just some alternatives that can be used for when you dont have transport at your disposal and want to ensure that you have built a solid foundation.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Red, does Rigsby have a calm friend that could stand on the box and just help him relax?

I agree half of the thing with anxious one is to get them to stay in the box mentally but just thought if he has a buddy it might tip the balance towards it being a nice space to chill.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
In theory I agree. It is obviously better to have transport to train babies/any horses how to load and travel. Neither I nor CI had/have transport (or towing vehicles) with our 2yr olds so it's not an option.

Basic groundwork should get any horse loading. That is all that the "good and the greats" do. For me using that groundwork to get a horse confident walking over different surfaces and into narrow spaces etc was just an extra step to cement the training.

My horses have always been travelled carefully so what happens in the trailer/box has never been as much of a concern than ensuring that they go in it.

Theres nothing new under the sun and o secret to loading horses. Just some alternatives that can be used for when you dont have transport at your disposal and want to ensure that you have built a solid foundation.

See, we agree with each other. I agree that the ground training gives them the tools to get on board the trailer/box. That is what I do. Then I simply take the lessons to the box and, in addition, make the box an attractive place to be. The hiring it is just so the unfamiliar noises and sounds become... familiar. That way confidence can build.

I think, in some circles, that simplicity and logic is a secret. So many times I see people who start to load horses who have no ground manners. You only have to go out in public to see people hit horses when they go near the box and are nervous/hesitant. They even redouble their efforts if the horse shows a likelihood of actually going on. I have seen double lunge whips, pulley systems, shouting etc etc. No wonder the poor horses end up not wanting to go near.

Red-1

Visit site
Red, does Rigsby have a calm friend that could stand on the box and just help him relax?

I agree half of the thing with anxious one is to get them to stay in the box mentally but just thought if he has a buddy it might tip the balance towards it being a nice space to chill.

It is a small 3.5 box and has been partitioned for one. The horse partition is 4ft wide, 8ft high and 8ft 6 long, so very spacious. The other side is a huge tack locker and toilet - not possible to get a 2nd horse on! It is great once they make sense of it, I had it made when I was still eventing and it is a dream for one person to go out competing. Everything to hand. Like a Tardis. We did comment when we went to fetch Rigsby, that he was willing after an hour to get on, but couldn't fathom what to do, turning at the top of the ramp. The ground work over winter has sorted that.

Happily Rigsby is food led, he has been on twice this morning, he is getting better and better. He came out of the box and had a small snack net while I groomed, but I allowed that to run out. Then he was 'allowed' on the box to eat more. He is now properly knocking hell out of his hay net and relaxing. I know he is relaxing as, not only was the hay gone, but also there was no poo on the box today, even though he loaded twice and was on for 20 minutes. Progress indeed.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Gypsum does all the things -- walks over tarps, under tarps, through narrow spaces with poles, etc., but she takes one look at that big metal box and says, Nope. She knows the difference. When I had my trailer back in the US, she was better, but not brilliant. You might have ten or so minutes of dancing in front of the trailer but then she would go in. Since I moved here and no longer have a trailer, it went completely to pot.

The filly doing two yard moves in ten days time was not ideal. I don't know how she was loaded at the breeders', but she was a trembling, sweaty mess when she arrived at my yard. Then when she left it, she did not want to get in the trailer. Of course, the staff, who, according to the yard manager "don't have time to focus on just one horse," surrounded us like vultures and tried to "help," so that put her under more pressure. But pressure didn't get her into the lorry. She eventually followed a Lickit on board. In a perfect world, I would do what Red has done with Rigsby, as well as more groundwork setting her up for success.

I have bought the Richard Maxwell book.

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby supposedly had yesterday off. It was accidental, it was warm and he got too warm when out in the sun. He started to cast his coat, then stopped and still has a thatch. It struck me that he has been worked every single day for weeks, even if it has only been a walk round the 1 mile block in-hand.

So, day off... except for loading, standing tied with no net in the grooming parlour, having his legs clipped and his feet trimmed. So, educated, even though not ridden!

This morning we did loading again. He tried to push into me, was corrected and then was good. He has no intention to come off now and is munching on hay, so today he had ramps up and down, all doors open and closed, and this evening even the engine on.

I also did riding...

Can't resist a bit of Police Horse training
1f602.png
. All my horses do it.

Started with work in-hand, finished up with a canter round with the flappy flag - neigh bother!

Good Rigsby!

Excuse the poor quality photos, I propped my phone on the arena side, took a video and screenshot from that!

167649703_10220194786643870_1883163007099668324_n.jpg
167583386_10220194788803924_173134400239929357_n.jpg168439634_10220194788523917_6873414318699367870_n.jpg167925830_10220194789163933_1675878121371522349_n.jpg167427853_10220194790163958_5552083063404932058_n.jpg
167457782_10220194791163983_4907912878836386528_n.jpg
Wouldn't have been able to stand with the ramp down before, now he doesn't even want to come off when the strap is down!

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby went on his first road trip. All the way to the end of our road
1f602.png
a trip of less than a mile.

I had planned on a longer trip and riding home, but he was quite nervous yesterday when the engine was on. So, baby steps, we got more comfortable with the engine this morning before he was turned out. Then, when Rigsby was brought back in and Mr Red came out to help (and drive the box back empty) Rigsby was absolutely foot perfect. Faultless. Loading, travelling, off-loading onto the road... I was sooo glad as Mr Red still is not a Riggers fan!

I was quite glad to be walking home though, although he was perfect, he was still a little tense when we started to walk. No bad behaviour, just a little adrenaline from his first trip. We walked it off though, he was very mannerly.

As soon as he got home, he was put back on the box to eat hay. He was soooo relaxed, I went away from the lorry with the ramp down, convinced that Rigsby's mind was IN the box, and he wouldn't attempt to leave. The strap was up, but Rigsby was sorted.

Before he got off, I was even confident to faff and tack up on the box. I think most of our tacking up (and untacking) will be done on the box for a while, just so that is normalised too.

Teaching him the individual skills so he won't be overwhelmed when we put the whole thing together.

167994409_10220199902411761_3185367171450196039_n.jpg168160069_10220199902691768_8667722982722806789_n.jpg168000909_10220199903371785_830431561851300901_n.jpg

chaps89

Visit site
That's a very nice box.
It sounds like it's all going well.

I tried mine with celery this morning. I don't think I've ever seen her look so disgusted - not even after being given the pizza crust she mugged my instructor for once - that she gummed on for a bit then spat out. She wasn't even going to try celery and it certainly wasn't worth doing her stretches for!

Red-1

Visit site
That's a very nice box.
It sounds like it's all going well.

I tried mine with celery this morning. I don't think I've ever seen her look so disgusted - not even after being given the pizza crust she mugged my instructor for once - that she gummed on for a bit then spat out. She wasn't even going to try celery and it certainly wasn't worth doing her stretches for!

LOL, even Rigsby wasn't enamoured first time. I had to eat it, crunching noisily as I went. Once he had had a few pieces, he was in!

Red-1

Visit site
It wouldn't matter whether celery was the best training aid on the planet, nothing could make me eat it to show a horse it was nice, it's disgusting stuff ?

We often share Rigsbysnacks now. Refreshing in the hot weather.

Sometimes, if I have got some timing really on point, I have it as a celerybration!

Red-1

Visit site
Today's educating Rigsby started with a quick load and stand on the box first thing (with various random openings and closings of doors/ramps and switching on the engine). He was unmoved, simply ate his net.

He then had a short turnout time on the arena with hay (making sure it would have run out before phase 2), while we had breakfast then...

Back in the box with his saddle on and a net for another short road trip, this time to a mile away from home. He behaved in an exemplary manner, travelled beautifully. We had to offload quite expeditiously as we were unloading into the road near the church, but he did as I asked.

He then stood like a rock while I mounted from a kerb, and let me hitch the girth up. I could tell he was excited, he was standing a half his usual length for starters, with a crest like a stallion
1f602.png

He behaved though! We walked home, he was fresher than normal, only showed in behaviour with some inattention (which I revised pdq) a few Wella moments with a tossing mane and squeak, and rather upgraded paces from normal
1f601.png

Back home, he was loaded straight back onto the wagon, where he was untacked. He had a few minutes in the grooming parlour (no net there), so the box is always the best place to be, but is now on the field to see what he can munch through the muzzle.

Good Rigsby!

Pictured is the horsebox, leaving us to our ride. With thanks to Mr Red for your help and support
1f60d.png
1f970.png
1f618.png

168519691_10220206710301954_7896488348042183922_n.jpg

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
Mr Red used to see me, sitting astride a muscled, prancing stead, jumping big fences, looking on top of the world. Mr Red went from someone who had never put so much as a head collar on, to a man who was an event groom right up to what is now FEI CCI**. Driving all over the UK, staying in an unheated box in a muddy field, helping me financially, being the 'stud man' with a comprehensive knowledge of which studs suit which ground, Mr Red has always been a superstar. He has supported me throughout. Mr Red wants me to be that person still, who could make magic happen with the muscled, prancing horse.

Mr Red says Rigsby is a waste of a good skin.

Red-1 does not care what Mr Red thinks of Rigsby, she is enjoying Rigsby's spirit, his determination, his willingness, the fact that he rarely prances and the way he is improving all the time in mind and body. Red-1 appreciates the friendly, furry faced bull terrier of a horse for what he is.

Rigsby has no idea Mr Red doesn't like him, because Mr Red likes Mrs Red and, because of that, he helps with Rigsby's care. Even often does the evening stables at 9pm, on his own. Has driven me round the village this Easter. Plus, at least he thinks that Rigsby has a good skin, which is a start :p

He still supports me throughout, even though he questions my choices these days.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I feel lucky, Red, that Mr Y couldn't wait for the day I stopped risking my neck on those prancing muscled horses over those big fences (I never got to your heights). He supported me every step of the way (though I could never get him to groom for me! ) but he lived in constant fear of the hurt I might do myself. I have enough trouble coping with my own disappointment that I'm no longer that person, I don't think I could bear his as well ?

Red-1

Visit site
I feel lucky, Red, that Mr Y couldn't wait for the day I stopped risking my neck on those prancing muscled horses over those big fences (I never got to your heights). He supported me every step of the way (though I could never get him to groom for me! ) but he lived in constant fear of the hurt I might do myself. I have enough trouble coping with my own disappointment that I'm no longer that person, I don't think I could bear his as well ?

I think you rode as big, and better than I did. The course at Storeton, where your avatar photo was taken, was quite the biggest Novice I ever did. It was one of my early Novices, I was ashen when I walked the course! I have always been a rubbish jumper. Happily, I had a knack to keep my horses confident and working their hearts out for me, I ended up dong things above my ability because my horses helped me out.

Mr Red always had faith in my ability. To be fair, in all my events, with many horses, I only ever had one fall, where the horse slipped on the flat at Weston, caused by leaves over hardcore that were slippery. That was it for incidents, none at fences.

My last event was 2014, the year I retired from work too. If had only known how ill I was from the vitamin D deficiency, it would have been a more active journey into retirement, but we have done OK.

TBH, I would love to event again, but at a more modest height. At one time, Mr Red proclaimed that he wouldn't come to a BE100, not worth his time for something so small, he perceived it as boring. These days, if I made it to a BE80, he would be there, cheering me on in my latest sporting endeavour, as he has through life, because he would know it was important to me. Hence mucking Rigsby out, building extra fences, doing the night stables. Not that we expect Rigsby to go eventing! He is just helping me out after two awful years.

Red-1

Visit site
I hope Mr Red will come to appreciate Rigsby for who he is, not what he can do

He has had to at least admit that he is responding well to his training. We are riding out today - being picked up in the box, so first time loading out on the road.

Rigsby has many supporters.

Red-1

Visit site
Big day (again) for Riggers.

Firstly, we rode out so we could load up away from home and drive back. That went OK, I opened the box myself, Rigsby loaded well, but he (Ooops) ran out of hay on the way back, so pawed, so was then not allowed off the box. Don't want him to think that pawing gets a good result, as he will then keep doing it, and he damages the box
1f62c.png

He got his brain in gear, so had a time in the grooming parlour (no hay) then a munch on the box, but he needs to build his tolerance and flexibility of mind to just ride the wave of life with calmness and patience, even if there is no hay.

Spent the rest of the morning doing just that lesson. Today's real learning was in repairing the hole I found in the original exercise when he ran out of hay.

Rigsby has learned:

Pawing gets me nowhere.
If mum offers me a pee pee on grass, that does not mean I can eat.
If mum asks me to stand on the yard, still, for no apparent reason, it us best and easiest to stand.
Mummy knows when I move even one, solitary foot. I have to move it back and yes, stand that still.
I can work on the field, and even canter on grass.
That is hard work, but I still have to try my best.
The box is where I get untracked, there is hay in there, nice.
I can follow the tractor, I can take direction and mum keeps me safe.
I can wait patiently (again), even when standing on grass.
I must not swing my head towards mummy's head.
I can go out in the field and eat grass when mum says do, and as long as I don't crowd her at the gate.

When I trained Police horses for a living, people often asked how I did it. I know it is this little stuff. Spending time with the horse. Being aware of what you are rewarding and when. Lots of little lessons. Setting the horse up for success. Insisting on personal boundaries. Sweating the small stuff, as they are very observant of whet they have to comply with and what they don't. being the person who makes decisions, but practicing that on small decisions, like waiting for a minute before being set loose in the field, and even then only being set loose if they are actually waiting politely.

169009413_10220215284956315_9051515875583888759_n.jpg168852295_10220215285436327_392432078059839176_n.jpg

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
Sounds like he's making really good progress with loading and all other things. I hadn't realised you'd trained police horses, what a fascinating job.

Red-1

Visit site
Sounds like he's making really good progress with loading and all other things. I hadn't realised you'd trained police horses, what a fascinating job.

Yes, for 20 years, for my sins. Buying big, bolshy 4y olds, on trial for a month, and having them ready to attend a match by the end of that month :eek: (just to watch and gauge their reaction, but even so :oops:). Loads of time per day, stretching their minds without breaking their bodies. Lots of little lessons every day.

I have got old and weaker since - and when mum was ill as well, I lost ability to do much at all, rock bottom. I sold a posh one and literally looked on Preloved for the most broken horse I could find that still had the potential to be ridden at some point in the future. Rigsby was perfect. Interesting but kind. I felt we were as broken as each other, and I was cool with that.

I could not have coped with a sports horse over this time. Rehabbng Rigsby in-hand all winter was just what I needed. I am now casually browsing for another. But VERY casually at this stage.

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
Yes, for 20 years, for my sins. Buying big, bolshy 4y olds, on trial for a month, and having them ready to attend a match by the end of that month :eek: (just to watch and gauge their reaction, but even so :oops:). Loads of time per day, stretching their minds without breaking their bodies. Lots of little lessons every day.

I have got old and weaker since - and when mum was ill as well, I lost ability to do much at all, rock bottom. I sold a posh one and literally looked on Preloved for the most broken horse I could find that still had the potential to be ridden at some point in the future. Rigsby was perfect. Interesting but kind. I felt we were as broken as each other, and I was cool with that.

I could not have coped with a sports horse over this time. Rehabbng Rigsby in-hand all winter was just what I needed. I am now casually browsing for another. But VERY casually at this stage.

That's impressive to get the match ready in a month!

The work you have done with Rigsby is amazing and he is doing so well, he is one very lucky horse. I love reading your updates.

What are you looking for this time?

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
That's impressive to get the match ready in a month!

The work you have done with Rigsby is amazing and he is doing so well, he is one very lucky horse. I love reading your updates.

What are you looking for this time?

They were not ready to work a match in a month, just to attend. So, roughly, the first week they would have an initial vetting, have schooling confirmed on an arena, so at least they could walk, trot and canter, halt and stay halted, allow someone to mount and dismount, show an understanding of moving away from the leg and be safe alongside a friendly companion. Then, do some local riding out with an experienced companion starting in a quiet area and moving to busier areas, starting on the inside then seeing how they manage in front, behind and on the outside. This week would also include loading practice and either being picked up or dropped off somewhere still quite local and riding one way of the journey. They would work on the roads and open ground, gradually becoming more independent of the other horse in a working area on an open field. They would also be bathed, clipped, pulled, trimmed, learn to stand tied, learn to wait just a bloomin' moment, learn to move over in the box etc. So many horses come with no manners whatsoever. It was a busy old week for a green broke 4yo, but the lessons were broken into 2 riding sessions and many small handling lessons, with stable comfort breaks in-between. Horses on trial were not turned out in case of injury and for isolation purposes.

Second week would include continuing with manners plus working with many horses on the arena, learning to go one behind the other, circle away, work beside another at walk and trot, learn to ignore others including when being overtaken or met head on. They would start to meat hazards/ schooling effects such as flags, tarps, noise. They would box out places, still quiet places to box to, but riding into busier areas, with a steady companion. They would learn to stand still when asked for increasing periods of time.

Third week would include more robust work on the arena, such as working 4 abreast, effects training with others, pop a X pole or two. They would box out to busier places, work in a town centre, working up to a city centre, still with a steady companion. I would also visit the football ground while it is quiet so they knew their way round as they can be spooky paces.

Fourth week, confirming the work done already, filling any holes. Pass a school at break time to gauge against squeaky children, go out on a box with more than 2 horses. Finish with a match, but it would be to travel there with others, be mannerly to tack up and mount, work the periphery, with a steady companion. I did have bosses try to give us a duty, but would refuse, saying that the horse did not even belong to us, was not yet trained and was not suitable, I was supernumerary. During the match we would go for a long walk, preferably somewhere hilly, to get rid of the adrenaline they had gathered. Generally, they would not get back on the box, but we would drift back to the match to walk round it while the banging was going on but everyone was inside, but then be a short distance away when the crowds came flooding out. It can be daunting, watching a wave of people coming at you. Like they will crash rather than sweep round you.

We did that as, as with traffic, some horses see the crowd as individual people, some as a monster. I would not buy one that lost its head when it saw a crowd, not that they can't be improved, just that it would take too long and most likely come undone at some point. There is enough potential for horses losing their nerve down the line without knowingly buying a problem! At the end of a month, they had a final vetting.

This time I am looking for 15.3 to 16.1 gelding, sane and sensible, some talent. Age 6 to 16. Vet failure a possibility for the right horse. Nice person!

I read all the updates to this thread and just think I need Red-1 lessons! They are so many gaps in my knowledge!
Just what I was thinking!

I gave up teaching a couple of years ago. I had nothing left to say, I no longer walked the walk. I hate when trainers start to train simply for the £. I have seen trainers become stale and repetitive, stop learning and exploring, and churn out same old same old. I did not want to become that person.

Last edited: