I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yesterday, Rigsby had his final vaccination to out him back in date, as well as dentistry. He also has his passport changed to my name, with him as a GELDING (as opposed to rig, which is what it said when he came) and his new name. It feels special that he is finally all up to date and correct.

He was super for the dentist, polite and a total dude. His buffalo skin didn't feel the injection.

We are trying anti histamine for his cough, as the Ventipulmin will apparently only work for 2 tubs worth before losing its effectiveness and then he would need a break. He had 9 last night and 9 this morning, it seems to have made a difference. So much so, I have risked him with no Ventipulmin. If it continues to work, the vet has recommended I start him on it as a pre-emptive thing next August 1st!

The vet was very kind and patient, left both Rigsby and the new baby feeling good about it all. I love a vet who tries to help train the horse to accept these procedures rather than reach straight for a sedative. To play my part, I offer to pay them to do a training session, followed by more than one treatment, so the vet is being paid for their time. For feet, worming clipping etc, I do my own training, but for teeth and injections, I do kind of need the assistance of a patient vet.

Photos below, the second one is because Riggers has cavities! Not bad enough to need treatment, and not that uncommon, but the first time I have seen them.

20210923_154157.jpg
242501572_10221287252274828_7062166401284861441_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
At least a month's worth! Thank goodness for Amazon.

No Ventipulmin since the day before the vet visited, and barely a cough. His breathing looks less laboured too.

I have no idea why anti-histamines are not used more for horses with allergy?

Early days, but long may it continue.

242717025_259994775999275_9053431879532109200_n.jpg

Last edited:

GoldenWillow

Visit site
That's brilliant that they're making such a difference to him.

From my experiences with two vet practices neither of them had had success with them treating allergies, one was very dismissive of them (in hindsight probably because they wouldn't make any money out of it I it worked), the other said it was worth trying but they had not seen any real success with them. I've tried them on two equine asthma horses, cetirizine and loratadine with unfortunately no improvement. I didn't try chlorfenamine as I know they can cause drowsiness in humans and didn't want to risk it causing it in the horse (I don't know if it actually would).

Red-1

Visit site
And suddenly, with the advent of rain, Rigsby's breathing has returned to normal!

I am talking, no need for any medication.

A photo from today, Rigsby's new rider, on an arena hire, to accompany me and the baby horse. Before he went over there, we did some schooling at home, and he had a walk, trot and canter. Canter!!! Even after a canter, he gave 2 very soft coughs, and back to normal.

He just looks more perky and happier.

As does his rider, but then, she is riding the wonderful Riggers. I owe him so much, and I appreciate friends to ride out with too.
Screenshot_20211004-194140_Gallery.jpg

BBP

Visit site
And suddenly, with the advent of rain, Rigsby's breathing has returned to normal!

I am talking, no need for any medication.

A photo from today, Rigsby's new rider, on an arena hire, to accompany me and the baby horse. Before he went over there, we did some schooling at home, and he had a walk, trot and canter. Canter!!! Even after a canter, he gave 2 very soft coughs, and back to normal.

He just looks more perky and happier.

As does his rider, but then, she is riding the wonderful Riggers. I owe him so much, and I appreciate friends to ride out with too.
View attachment 80517

I somehow haven’t followed this thread in my time away from HHO, he’s flipping gorgeous!! (I’d seen the bits about his breathing but missed the pictures)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
His breathing might have returned to normal now harvest is over and we have had some rain to dampen the dust down.

I have a mare that struggled in the heat and through harvest time and she was on dilatarol. Back to normal now and no meds needed.

palo1

Visit site
That's brilliant that they're making such a difference to him.

From my experiences with two vet practices neither of them had had success with them treating allergies, one was very dismissive of them (in hindsight probably because they wouldn't make any money out of it I it worked), the other said it was worth trying but they had not seen any real success with them. I've tried them on two equine asthma horses, cetirizine and loratadine with unfortunately no improvement. I didn't try chlorfenamine as I know they can cause drowsiness in humans and didn't want to risk it causing it in the horse (I don't know if it actually would).

From what I understand, the reason there isn't much enthusiasm for anti-histamines for horses is because horses' histamine response system works differently to humans. However, that doesn't explain why they do help some horses!

Red-1

Visit site
His breathing might have returned to normal now harvest is over and we have had some rain to dampen the dust down.

I have a mare that struggled in the heat and through harvest time and she was on dilatarol. Back to normal now and no meds needed.

That was our hope. Just to see him through this bout, and hope that next year isn't as bad. With his history, I want to avoid steroids of any type, but fear that next year he will need a nebuliser, if it is as bad.

You can only do your best!

Red-1

Visit site
From what I understand, the reason there isn't much enthusiasm for anti-histamines for horses is because horses' histamine response system works differently to humans. However, that doesn't explain why they do help some horses!

My vet said that they are more successful if used before it starts, so he will move onto them on 1st August next year, even if asymptomatic.

They did seem to help this year too, but it was nearing the end of harvest when he went onto them, so who knows?

I do know that it was nice to see the extra effort on exhalation stop, and that he is a lot more energetic!

Red-1

Visit site
He's looking well Red ?
He, suddenly, feels great too. I was so worried about him with the breathing: three separate vets have examined him and thought his lungs weren't that bad (all equine vets too) yet I knew it was affecting him really badly. He suddenly needed a stack more food, his breathing might not have been noisy but it was laboured. His actual asthma attacks were frightening.

Now, he has regained his sense of humour! He has twice burst out of his stable when we have been attending to him, he walked off when his new rider got on, and he really relished it! Haha, he said, I gotcha!

BBP

Visit site
My vet said that they are more successful if used before it starts, so he will move onto them on 1st August next year, even if asymptomatic.

They did seem to help this year too, but it was nearing the end of harvest when he went onto them, so who knows?

I do know that it was nice to see the extra effort on exhalation stop, and that he is a lot more energetic!
BBP is on antihistamines pretty much March to October. Not sure how good they are for health taken for so long but they make the world of difference to him (his breathing is fine but it’s like he gets allergy headaches, he head flicks and is utterly miserable in summer without them)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
BBP is on antihistamines pretty much March to October. Not sure how good they are for health taken for so long but they make the world of difference to him (his breathing is fine but it’s like he gets allergy headaches, he head flicks and is utterly miserable in summer without them)

I'm on antihistsmines permanently to suppress asthma aggravated by a cat allergy. My doc told me there is no evidence that it is harmful long term. I hope that's the same with horses..

Red-1

Visit site

I hope it will be just August to October.

Red-1

Visit site
I'm on antihistsmines permanently to suppress asthma aggravated by a cat allergy. My doc told me there is no evidence that it is harmful long term. I hope that's the same with horses..
That is interesting to know. Mr Red had awful allergies and was on a huge number of antihistamines until he had the steroid injection a few times. That seemed to cure it long term.

BBP

Visit site
That’s good to hear. I hope so too. He’s so miserable without them that his quality of life in the moment is worth it.

Red-1

Visit site
Just sharing the blog post link here, as I'm not affiliated in any way to the feed company. Simply enjoyed the read and photos as I'm sure many will and looking forward to the intro the the new boy post :)

https://www.fulmart.co.uk/blog/post.php?s=2021-10-04-red-upbeat-before-the-before

Thank you for your positive vibe.

The new boy today did his very first dressage clinic. But, is having to move out tomorrow temporarily because we have builders in. Rigs can stay at home though because 1. posh yard doesn't do soaked hay usually. 2. He could live out in the arena if necessary. 3. I like having him around. 4. Mum's internment of ashes is coming up, and (spoiler) Rigsby *may* have a starring role.