I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Surbie

Visit site
He looks just fabulous and she looks over the moon to be riding him. That's so nice to be on the same page. I totally empathise with the nerves before the visit - I'm in regular touch with my horse's previous owner and get all wobbly before she comes to visit too!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
He looks just fabulous and she looks over the moon to be riding him. That's so nice to be on the same page. I totally empathise with the nerves before the visit - I'm in regular touch with my horse's previous owner and get all wobbly before she comes to visit too!
It is ridiculous, isn't it?

The only thing I would have changed is that he was rather quiet and did some coughing, other than that, he looked perfect. He has the medication though and I will slowly up it.

I love it that Rigs has people who love him enough to want to come to a different town to visit! I also love it that they are both so supportive. Just had some lovely bubbly as well, what's not to like?

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby has a new job.

36 hours ago my life was happy and complete.

35 hours ago I was doing CPR on my husband, who collapsed suddenly while we were doing a perfectly normal getting ready for bed routine. He'd just put the dishwasher on, I was eating biscuits, when he collapsed.

My neighbours were straight round, we did good quality CPR but the ambulance were not able to bring him back and he died.

Oh God, I feel so alone.

David left our house for the last time at midnight and just am so lost. I didn't dare sleep as I knew that, in sleep, I would forget and then have the pain and shock of remembering when I woke up.

Yesterday, my dogs and horses got me to get up and go out.

Yesterday I turned out and brought in. The dogs were let in the garden and fed. That was my achievement for yesterday.

I am about to do the same today. One foot in front of the other, turn out and bring in. Feed dogs.

How do you lose weight so quickly? I dropped 4 lbs overnight, and I'd eaten before David died, so normal food. My ears are ringing.

Rigs helped me through the illness and death of my mother, I now hope he can keep me sane through the death of my husband who never made it to 60, and missed our 30th wedding anniversary in 5 weeks' time. We had so many plans.

One condolence was that we had a fabulous day out on Tuesday, to see the Lancaster in Lincolnshire. It was a day of laughter and smiles. David was in his element. Another was that he knew he was loved.

Hug your loved ones tight.

289156978_10222558540096229_7031637290263668931_n (1).jpg

313954816_10223308259238739_4419317881642282783_n.jpg

Last edited:

Cloball

Visit site
Didn't want to read and run. I can't even comprehend how you must be feeling how utterly sudden and traumatic and heartbreaking. Thinking of you Xxx

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Absolutely devastated to hear this, he was still so young and you were so good together. I did at least have more years with Michael and warning that I was gong to lose him. I always expected to lose him the way you have just lost David and thought about it so often. Wish there was something I could say or do that would help but there isn't. You will get through this but it won't be easy and the new normal will be, at least in my experience, pretty joyless but as they say life goes on.
So, so sorry, take care of yourself xx

Emilieu

Visit site
Oh no, oh no, that is just such awful news. My heart goes out to you and your pain. The shock must be overwhelming, I hope the routine of the animals brings some help and structure to you at this worst of times.
I’m so very sorry for your huge loss.

teacups

Visit site
Such a shock, reading that awful news. I’m so sorry you are having to cope with this.
Your David always sounded like such a fun and supportive, kind person - as Mr Red he’s always been so alive in your posts - that I think it’s safe to say we will all miss him too. Wishing you as much strength as possible, it’s unfair.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Crikey - well, that wasn't the post that I, or anyone else, was expecting to read on here. Take care of yourself and Rigsby....am sure he will do his best to look after you too, as will all the others.

palo1

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear this; utterly devastating for you. He was lucky to have such a wonderful partner and to know that he was loved. I know that none of us are promised tomorrow but the reality of that is so cruel. I hope you are surrounded by love and care both in the real world and via friends a little further away - as you are here. Thinking of you. x

southerncomfort

Visit site
Oh Red, what a dreadfully shocking and devastating thing to happen. I am so very sorry.

I can understand you feeling very alone. Please know that we are all here for you. Xxx

Red-1

Visit site
Thank you. I've had help IRL. Firstly the helicopter broke the fencing between paddocks, a friend and her husband came and put a new post/rail in. It was so helpful, I just needed somewhere safe to turn the boys out. It was something I could neither do or arrange myself. Only I did sort of arrange it by asking for help.

My old boss, from where I worked in school until I retired in April, came round and spent 4 hours helping me sort through paperwork. She also brought food and made coffee.

My neighbour has made soup, bought bread and made a huge cream cake. They have offered to help with paperwork too. David bought a new car 11 days previously, it is ridiculously expensive and I did think about keeping it as he was so happy with it and we had such a fabulous day out with it on Tuesday, but then it is a car model often stolen by means of burglary and I think, on balance, it would be better not to have it for that reason. They are going to help me minimise losses in selling it, as obviously although it is only now 12 days old, it is also now secondhand. I have no idea how to do this so will need help. I am still sitting with it though, I know he would have loved me to keep it, he was trying to have me drive it every day and if feels like a big David hug. In theory, I could afford to keep it, although I would not normally buy such an expensive car and it would pay for many heating bills.

I have had many lovely messages and phone calls.

I have informed some people, including speaking with the vicar and coroner. There will be a PM on Monday, it will likely be done by CAT scan.

I did manage to sleep some last night.

Horses are out again, and I bottomed Rigs' bed. David used to do a big Saturday muck out, I think I will do one on Saturday and one on Sunday going forward.

It looks like I will not have to give up my home. I may do in time though as it is a big place to keep up on my own. I may find a lovely livery yard and move close to there. Probably forestry or something, somewhere to wander. But for now, I want to stay here, with his jacket over the chair back and his slippers by his sofa.

The food that David had ordered from Ocado arrived this morning. Poor driver, as it dissolved me into tears, seeing all the treats he had included.

Today BH had a hoof boot fitting booked. I have decided to keep it but have told her what has happened. I feel sorry for her as I suspect she would rather be anywhere else, but it is what it is, she seemed professional when I last met her so we will muddle through.

Thank you all for your messages.

I will leave with a picture from Tuesday, David inside the Lancaster. He was so happy and buzzing about it ever since. Full of life. 363331474_10224888755190150_2233051835527422789_n.jpg

KEK

Visit site
Oh my goodness Red what horrendous news. I am so, so, sorry for your enormous loss.
Thoughts and prayers xx