I just don't think she's going to grow :(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I bought my filly at the beginning of December. She is 3 in June. Dam is a 15.3hh TB and sire is a 16.1h WB. I want something 15.2hh to 16hh but would settle for 15.1hh. I am tall (5'10" and weigh exactly 10 stone). I measured her 3 weeks ago and she is only 14.2hh :( Now if I'm honest, looking at her, she doesn't look like she's got any growing to do. Breeder says she will probably shoot up on the Spring grass. Selling her on is not an option for me as I love her to bits. The string test from middle of knee to coronet band is only 14 inches. The string test from elbow to fetlock says she will be just over 15 hh. But to my eyes she just doesn't look like she has any more growing to do. What do you think? I plan to leave her another year now before backing as I know I would be too heavy for her at present. I know she will ride much bigger than she is because she moves huge with lots of elevation and suspension.

14thMarch2014_zpsca69c151.jpg

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
One of my liveries has the opposite problem with her two year old. He is already 16.1 hh and she is 5' 4" and less than 8 stone.

DiNozzo

Visit site
I know very little about young horses, but personally, she doesn't quite look in proportion?
Her forearm is longer than her canon by a long way (at the back as well- she is quite level). Also, she looks a bit bum high? Maybe she has just levelled off and has another growth spurt in her yet, she could have just outgrown her last 'fugly' stage!

Liane

Visit site
Want to swap? My youngster who will be 3 in May is measuring at 16hh and he has gone bum high again!!!! I think she might get a bit bigger yet.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Her forearm is longer than her canon by a long

That is one of the main reasons I don't think she is going to grow, as the cannon bone does not really lengthen any more after around 18 months old. The fact that her forearm is already proportionately longer, though desirable from a conformation perspective, does not suggest there is much more growing to do. But to end up more than a hand smaller than both parents is surely very unusual?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Want to swap? My youngster who will be 3 in May is measuring at 16hh and he has gone bum high again!!!! I think she might get a bit bigger yet.

I hope so. I just feel a bit down about it at the minute. I guess that she will get longer and broader too, so maybe might look a bit bigger in a year.

DiNozzo

Visit site
Ah, see, I thought it was the other way around! with the canon bone/forearm thing.
I still don't think she looks in proportion to herself though, through her whole body not just her legs!

RunToEarth

Visit site
I don't know, growth plates don't full close until a horse is 8 which is why you can't obtain a life height certificate until then.

TBs reach maturity around four, but warmbloods can keep growing until around 8, so I wouldn't rule out some late growth - outwards as well as upwards.

I found this piece really interesting - http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_2008/ranger_piece_2008_pdf1.pdf

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I think you'll get more height out of her.

I have a part bred New Forest pony who will be 5 in may. She has grown an inch since I had her in November. She was 13.2hh when she arrived and is now a smidge over 13.3hh. I was hoping for 14hh so hopefully the spring grass will force another 3/4 of an inch up, rather than out!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
She still looks a bit bum high to me...if she levels out at the withers a bit you may get 15hh out of her??
Im an inch and a half taller than you (but definately heavier :eek: ) and I personally feel uncomfortable and unbalanced on anything below 16hh and my 3 year old is standing at that now...both string tests work him out to make 16.2-17hh which will be perfect.
Give her time....you may be suprised...mine went from a 15.2 two year old in a 6ft 3" rug to a 16hh three year old in a 6ft 9" rug in less than a year..!!!

Abacus

Visit site
I'm no expert on this but to me her back end looks bigger than her front end, but her high wither (and maybe even a bit of mane in the picture) makes her look level. I think her front end might come up a bit yet. She looks powerful. Good luck. x

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I don't know, growth plates don't full close until a horse is 8 which is why you can't obtain a life height certificate until then.

TBs reach maturity around four, but warmbloods can keep growing until around 8, so I wouldn't rule out some late growth - outwards as well as upwards.

I found this piece really interesting - http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_2008/ranger_piece_2008_pdf1.pdf

Thank you. I hope you are right! I have such high hopes for her. She doesn't look much but her movement is so special and she has a temperament to die for. So brave, self assured and inquisitive too that I think she would be fab cross country.

Liane

Visit site
Yes I think she will get deeper in her body which will obviously increase her height. My youngster is still all legs which is worrying as I am sure he will get quite a bit deeper through the body and also wider/longer as you say.

Asha

Visit site
That is one of the main reasons I don't think she is going to grow, as the cannon bone does not really lengthen any more after around 18 months old. The fact that her forearm is already proportionately longer, though desirable from a conformation perspective, does not suggest there is much more growing to do. But to end up more than a hand smaller than both parents is surely very unusual?

Not necessarily, my 5 YO mare's dam and sire are 16.2. She seems to have stopped at 15.2/3 ish

she must have a little bit yet to go, even with topline and muscling up. So you could be lucky and get to 15hds

My other 5YO gelding was 15.2 at 2, and then got to 16hds at 3, hes now 16.2 ish.

she is lovely, what breed is she?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
She's bum high in that photo. I wouldn't give up on her growing yet.

But even so, chin up, this isn't exactly news - you knew before you bought her that she was going to be marginal on being big enough for you. I'm sure you must have put in place some plans for your future career and lives together! Driving her perhaps?

She looks very sweet.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
She still looks a bit bum high to me...if she levels out at the withers a bit you may get 15hh out of her??
Im an inch and a half taller than you (but definately heavier :eek: ) and I personally feel uncomfortable and unbalanced on anything below 16hh and my 3 year old is standing at that now...both string tests work him out to make 16.2-17hh which will be perfect.
Give her time....you may be suprised...mine went from a 15.2 two year old in a 6ft 3" rug to a 16hh three year old in a 6ft 9" rug in less than a year..!!!

Thanks. I do look best on a 16.2, but I don't like riding big horses, so I don't mind looking a little leggy on something so long as I am not too heavy. 15.3 is my ideal height but I never feel unbalanced on something smaller.

I'm no expert on this but to me her back end looks bigger than her front end, but her high wither (and maybe even a bit of mane in the picture) makes her look level. I think her front end might come up a bit yet. She looks powerful. Good luck. x

Yes she does look slightly bum high. Her sire is very uphill, with a long forearm, so there's hope I guess! She does move very powerfully from behind.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
She still looks slightly bum high, so will prob grow more, she does look very ponyish from this photo though

Lol, yes. She looks like a connemara.

She's bum high in that photo. I wouldn't give up on her growing yet.

But even so, chin up, this isn't exactly news - you knew before you bought her that she was going to be marginal on being big enough for you. I'm sure you must have put in place some plans for your future career and lives together! Driving her perhaps?

She looks very sweet.

I took a punt because I liked her so much and I just couldn't believe she would end up so much smaller than both parents. I think that if she ends up too small then I would need to find a smaller jockey and just enjoy watching her compete. Just wish I could shrink!

Last edited:

Archangel

Visit site
She looks like she could go another inch or two. Sometimes they do spurt after 3. I bought a 14.2 3 year old Arab that would def. go to 15.1 - he stopped at 14.2 and a half. He didn't ride particularly big either. My friend who is tiny bought a scraggy 14.2 3 year old of unknown breeding, gave her a bit of food, she shot up to well over 16 hands and was a big strapping horse.

She looks very nice though, what I like about her is her short cannons. I would wait and see until you can have a sit on her. I did most of my competing on a 13.3, he rode like he was 16.2.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I don't think you can do much other than wait, if you have been feeding her "properly" this may account for her looking more mature than many youngsters, the breeding tells you she will get bigger, so don't give up hope.
After looking at video clip, she is well fed, and I think this accounts for her overall look.
She will grow bigger, but yes I would think it unlikely to get to 16.00, but you can never be sure.
There is nothing to stop you long reining over the summer, and lightly backing if all goes well, but if you have plenty of time, I would agree with leaving things for another year before schooling, more to allow nature to take its course and let her roam freely with her friends.
On the other hand you don't want to be "tackling" a big strong five year old mare who has not learnt to do a bit of "work".

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Try to stop panicking and over analysing - she will be what she will be.
At 10 stone you will be fine to ride her even if she doesn't more than 15hh

I purchased one at 18months once. Sire and Dam both approx 16.1hh which was the type of height I wanted. Breeder told me he would be big.

At 2 he was 15.2hh, at late 3 he was 15.3hh - very even and level and I honestly thought he would stay a midget.

By the spring of his 4yo year he had shot up 3 inches and turned into a lean gangly baby for the first time. By the age of 7 he was 17hh

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
She looks like she could go another inch or two. Sometimes they do spurt after 3. I bought a 14.2 3 year old Arab that would def. go to 15.1 - he stopped at 14.2 and a half. He didn't ride particularly big either. My friend who is tiny bought a scraggy 14.2 3 year old of unknown breeding, gave her a bit of food, she shot up to well over 16 hands and was a big strapping horse.

She looks very nice though, what I like about her is her short cannons. I would wait and see until you can have a sit on her. I did most of my competing on a 13.3, he rode like he was 16.2.

Thanks. I think if she can reach 15hh I will still be able to ride her, just will look a bit large. But so long as she is happy and carries me easily I don't care what people think I look like. Your pony sounds like he was a little superstar.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Try to stop panicking and over analysing - she will be what she will be.
At 10 stone you will be fine to ride her even if she doesn't more than 15hh

I purchased one at 18months once. Sire and Dam both approx 16.1hh which was the type of height I wanted. Breeder told me he would be big.

At 2 he was 15.2hh, at late 3 he was 15.3hh - very even and level and I honestly thought he would stay a midget.

By the spring of his 4yo year he had shot up 3 inches and turned into a lean gangly baby for the first time. By the age of 7 he was 17hh

There is hope then! Yes, she will be what she will be and there is nothing I can do about it.

Asha

Visit site
Here, from about 30 seconds in. It's a bit jumpy and she had not warmed up as I had just taken her from her stable and released her, so not the best she can move, but gives you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uXeit54ZY

Based on that, I would hope she'd stick at 14.2, then you could have an amazing top dressage pony that would be worth a fortune !!

She does look all bottom in that though. ( I know how she feels)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I don't think you can do much other than wait, if you have been feeding her "properly" this may account for her looking more mature than many youngsters, the breeding tells you she will get bigger, so don't give up hope.
After looking at video clip, she is well fed, and I think this accounts for her overall look.
She will grow bigger, but yes I would think it unlikely to get to 16.00, but you can never be sure.

Thanks. She was fed on very poor hay at the breeders. Absolutely no hard feed. She didn't even know how to eat it! But I guess breeders want to guard against too rapid growth.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Based on that, I would hope she'd stick at 14.2, then you could have an amazing top dressage pony that would be worth a fortune !!

She does look all bottom in that though. ( I know how she feels)

Really? Thank you. I guess I could always look for a nice petite rider for her if she doesn't grow.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I think you've got a good chance of 1-2 inches more, but I wouldn't put money on her making much over 15hh. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though.