I just don't think she's going to grow :(

madlady

Visit site
I think she'll go a bit more.

I thought our stallion was going to be a midget as he never went through a gangly stage - he always seemed in proportion. Last August he was 15h and small for his breed - all of a sudden last week he's 15.3 and very bum high so it looks like he will get to the 16h we expected - and perhaps more.

The only thing that would concern me with your girl is the string test. Daegan always measured 16.5" on the string test. Only time will tell though.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I think you've got a good chance of 1-2 inches more, but I wouldn't put money on her making much over 15hh. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though.

Thanks, I had better stay slim then!

I think she'll go a bit more.

I thought our stallion was going to be a midget as he never went through a gangly stage - he always seemed in proportion. Last August he was 15h and small for his breed - all of a sudden last week he's 15.3 and very bum high so it looks like he will get to the 16h we expected - and perhaps more.

The only thing that would concern me with your girl is the string test. Daegan always measured 16.5" on the string test. Only time will tell though.

Yes, she is already taller than what the string test says! :(

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Here, from about 30 seconds in. It's a bit jumpy and she had not warmed up as I had just taken her from her stable and released her, so not the best she can move, but gives you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uXeit54ZY

Super little horse, she is definitely going to be something special whatever size 💜💜💜💜

MS123

Visit site
I can see this one exceeding expectations! I think she'll definitley grow more. She's a little beaut, I can see why you snapped her up. I'm 10 stone and have a 15.1 andalusian x arab, she thinks nothing of bucking me off and un-seating me at times, so I really wouldn't worry. Best of luck x

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I can see this one exceeding expectations! I think she'll definitley grow more. She's a little beaut, I can see why you snapped her up. I'm 10 stone and have a 15.1 andalusian x arab, she thinks nothing of bucking me off and un-seating me at times, so I really wouldn't worry. Best of luck x

Thank you! Your horse sounds lovely, just my type. I really do like small horses and find I get a better 'tune' out of them than large horses, but obviously there are limits to how small I can get away with.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks, I had better stay slim then!

I'm afraid so - I've just seen the video, with movement like that you've got to be able to enjoy her. She's gorgeous!

Thank you. It would be a dream for me if I could ride her. I fell for her right away but her size did bother me, so before buying her I asked the breeder to measure her and email me back. She said they had measured her at just over 15hh. So I snapped her up. But when she arrived I realised I had been looking through rose coloured spectacles and she was no way 15 hh. But by then I was not going to send her back!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm still thinking 15hh and with paces like that I imagine she will feel like 17hh :p
I would just enjoy her (could watch her move allll day long)...a watched pot never boils ;)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm still thinking 15hh and with paces like that I imagine she will feel like 17hh :p
I would just enjoy her (could watch her move allll day long)...a watched pot never boils ;)

Yes, I'm thinking 15 hands too (if I'm lucky!). You are right about the watched pot though. I have to get things into perspective. I have only had her 4 months, and I reckon she has grown half an inch in that time. I will just have to resist measuring her for a few months!

kassieg

Visit site
I think she looks like shes got a good bit of growing to do :)
I got mine at 2 in the sept & she was about 14.3
At 3 she was about 15.1
Now at 5 shes 16hh getting toward 16.1 & shes done most of the growing in the last 6 months :)
when I bought her at 2 everyone thought she was 4 she looked so mature so I wouldn't worry she'll make a decent height I reckon :)

E.t.a how old was she in that vid?

Last edited:

Pigeon

Visit site
Warmbloods are slow maturers. If parents were both 16hh ish, I think it would be very bad luck for her not to make 15.1hh.

My yellow horse grew three inches between the age of four and five :eek3: I think that was just withers catching up with hindquarters, but I wouldn't worry quite yet :) Surely it's not the end of the world if she doesn't come up to height? She looks a lovely type.

Also as you build topline, that makes a horse look and ride much bigger. Pip is only about 15.2, and I'm 5'10, when I first got him it was like riding a little pony, there was nothing in front of the saddle and he was so wiggly! Now there's actually shoulders and a neck there, and he can KIND of lift through them :eek: When he's properly powering through it's like riding a 16hh horse.

teapot

Visit site
Thanks. I think if she can reach 15hh I will still be able to ride her, just will look a bit large. But so long as she is happy and carries me easily I don't care what people think I look like. Your pony sounds like he was a little superstar.

Not necessarily, you may look absolutely fine. I'm 5ft 11 and most of it is in my legs but have looked perfectly in proportion on not overly wide 14hhs before now...

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I think she looks like shes got a good bit of growing to do :)
I got mine at 2 in the sept & she was about 14.3
At 3 she was about 15.1
Now at 5 shes 16hh getting toward 16.1 & shes done most of the growing in the last 6 months :)
when I bought her at 2 everyone thought she was 4 she looked so mature so I wouldn't worry she'll make a decent height I reckon :)

E.t.a how old was she in that vid?

That's encouraging, thanks! She was 2 years 8 months in the vid.

Warmbloods are slow maturers. If parents were both 16hh ish, I think it would be very bad luck for her not to make 15.1hh.

My yellow horse grew three inches between the age of four and five :eek3: I think that was just withers catching up with hindquarters, but I wouldn't worry quite yet :) Surely it's not the end of the world if she doesn't come up to height? She looks a lovely type.

Also as you build topline, that makes a horse look and ride much bigger. Pip is only about 15.2, and I'm 5'10, when I first got him it was like riding a little pony, there was nothing in front of the saddle and he was so wiggly! Now there's actually shoulders and a neck there, and he can KIND of lift through them :eek: When he's properly powering through it's like riding a 16hh horse.

He sounds lovely. Small but powerful. Thanks for the encouragement.

Not necessarily, you may look absolutely fine. I'm 5ft 11 and most of it is in my legs but have looked perfectly in proportion on not overly wide 14hhs before now...

Yes, I think it is all a matter of perception. Also, if you are mostly legs, your balance will be right even on smaller horses.

Wow!!! She sure can shift :D

Thanks, she really uses her hind legs to power her forward. That was one of the first things I noticed about her. I thought she would be 'easy' to progress in dressage as working from behind seems natural to her.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Ive been feeding mine bluechip for the last 2 months and hes shot up! Dont know if its related lol but pretty chuffed :)

That may be worth a try. She had had no hard feed at all before coming to me. She now gets one hard feed of Pure feeds stud a day. I should maybe change her onto Pure Easy and add something like blue chip. How old is your boy?

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Hell be 3 in may, he was about 14.1 when i measured him, and now hes about 14.2, not much but its .1 of a hand :) and then weve got the spring grass coming. Its done wonders for his condition aswell, lovely shiney coat and its calmed him down as well. He gets half a top spec tub (im sure youll know what i mean lol) for his breakfast and tea with abit of chop.

Worth a try, I know buying the stuff is expensive but a bag has lasted me 2 months now :)so £20 a month, not too bad :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Hell be 3 in may, he was about 14.1 when i measured him, and now hes about 14.2, not much but its .1 of a hand :) and then weve got the spring grass coming. Its done wonders for his condition aswell, lovely shiney coat and its calmed him down as well. He gets half a top spec tub (im sure youll know what i mean lol) for his breakfast and tea with abit of chop.

Worth a try, I know buying the stuff is expensive but a bag has lasted me 2 months now :)so £20 a month, not too bad :)

Yes I know the tub you mean. I think I will get her some the next time I order my feed and give it a go.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't think it's worth worrying about ;) (as the rider of a 14.2 :p)

I have to admit to getting a bit confused why people who really want a certain height buy youngsters though rather than say a 4 yo so you know they will get the min. height you want.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I don't think it's worth worrying about ;) (as the rider of a 14.2 :p)

I have to admit to getting a bit confused why people who really want a certain height buy youngsters though rather than say a 4 yo so you know they will get the min. height you want.

It was a risk. But I had not seen one as nice as her in the height I wanted. Plus breeder measured her at 15hh which was way out. I don't want a big horse. I would rather slightly too small than too big. And I thought as both parents averaged 16hh she was bound to make 15.2. But over the last couple of months of looking more closely at her, I have had my doubts about the size she would make. I still don't regret buying her though.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think I know too many where the height of the parents didn't seem to have a huge influence to mean I wouldn't want to hedge my bets ;).

Less of the :( then because I still think she is a lovely filly however big she gets :p

CobsGalore

Visit site
She is not even 3 yet, I think she will definitely make at least 15hh.

I haven't read all the replies, but personally, if I was you, I'd stop worrying about how big she's going to get and enjoy her :)

siennamum

Visit site
my gelding was 15.2 as a 3 year old & is 16.1 now. I'd say she has a good couple of inches of growing to do, amazing the difference between 3years old & mature.

small

Visit site
wow she is gorgeous. I'm quite small you can give her to me! I would love to ride anything that moves like her.Though actually I have a 4 yr old nf pony that is 14.1 and really am very happy riding him . Am 5'5 1/2 and nine stone so you will prob be fine on her. She will def get a bit bigger and fill out.

Smith123

Visit site
Of course she will grow! She is not even three yet. They grow unevenly, then level out. Then grow a bit more, then level out. No doubt she will grow a couple more inches. And she wiill fill out.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I think I know too many where the height of the parents didn't seem to have a huge influence to mean I wouldn't want to hedge my bets ;).

Less of the :( then because I still think she is a lovely filly however big she gets :p

Thank you. I just wanted to pick the brains of experienced people on here who have had youngsters. I haven't bought a horse under the age of four before, although I have broken in a few 3 year olds for others, I haven't watched them grow.

She is not even 3 yet, I think she will definitely make at least 15hh.

I haven't read all the replies, but personally, if I was you, I'd stop worrying about how big she's going to get and enjoy her :)

Thanks. I know I should stop worrying and I am enjoying her, but was just hoping others may have some experience of horses that have seemed small for their breeding. And whether those horses grew or remained small.

my gelding was 15.2 as a 3 year old & is 16.1 now. I'd say she has a good couple of inches of growing to do, amazing the difference between 3years old & mature.

Thanks. :)

wow she is gorgeous. I'm quite small you can give her to me! I would love to ride anything that moves like her.Though actually I have a 4 yr old nf pony that is 14.1 and really am very happy riding him . Am 5'5 1/2 and nine stone so you will prob be fine on her. She will def get a bit bigger and fill out.

Thanks. As long as I stay reasonably slim, and she fills out (which she will) I should be fine.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Of course she will grow! She is not even three yet. They grow unevenly, then level out. Then grow a bit more, then level out. No doubt she will grow a couple more inches. And she wiill fill out.

Thank you. I would normally expect a 3 year old to grow. It is just that she already has the adult proportions (cannon bone to forearm) and so it makes me worry that she has no more growing heightwise to do.

ByDesign

Visit site
I think she has plenty of growing left in her!
My filly turns three in April , and currently stands, slap bang between 16hh and 16'1 - and I'm hoping she gets to a decent 16'2 / 16'3.

Here are some pics of my mare, First when I got her in January, then February then last weekend..... can anyone spot much change in size / stamp?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I know Rome wasn't built in a day , and she still has another 2 years of growing to do but can anyone see any change?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I think she has plenty of growing left in her!
My filly turns three in April , and currently stands, slap bang between 16hh and 16'1 - and I'm hoping she gets to a decent 16'2 / 16'3.

Here are some pics of my mare, First when I got her in January, then February then last weekend..... can anyone spot much change in size / stamp?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I know Rome wasn't built in a day , and she still has another 2 years of growing to do but can anyone see any change?

She is gorgeous! Is she going to grey out? I think looking at the length of her cannon bones that she has a lot of growing to do heightwise. But she is not bum high so currently not in a typical growth spurt. She does look slightly chunkier in the later pictures. A bit more grown up.