I just don't think she's going to grow :(

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Wagtail, I will be watching this with much interest. I measured my rising 3 yr old gelding last week at 14.1/2 at a push and I am pretty desperate for him to reach at least 15hh....

He has grown an awful lot since I first got him at 14 months old, but still having to keep my fingers crossed as I'm not 100% he will make it :/ he is still quite out of proportion and pretty bum high though, so here's hoping!!

So far we have gone from this in Sept 2012 -

0eddebf35fb358cdecfd0a3ffc25716f_zps41ba83c8.jpg

To this in Feb 2014 -

d9b3c92fe7805edd7a31955b783b9418_zps4099041a.jpg

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Wagtail, I will be watching this with much interest. I measured my rising 3 yr old gelding last week at 14.1/2 at a push and I am pretty desperate for him to reach at least 15hh....

He has grown an awful lot since I first got him at 14 months old, but still having to keep my fingers crossed as I'm not 100% he will make it :/ he is still quite out of proportion and pretty bum high though, so here's hoping!!

So far we have gone from this in Sept 2012 -

0eddebf35fb358cdecfd0a3ffc25716f_zps41ba83c8.jpg

To this in Feb 2014 -

d9b3c92fe7805edd7a31955b783b9418_zps4099041a.jpg

He is very bum high, as you say. To my eyes he looks like he has at least a hand to grow! It would be good if we could all come back to this thread in a year and see what has happened to our little ones. :)

maisie06

Visit site
My little lad I bought at just over 3 years old at 14hh - he's now rising 7 and almost 15.1, he has also filled out lots and looks much bigger, so I'm sure yours will grow!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
She doesn't look anything like matured yet so I think she will shoot up a bit more :) I bought a 5 year old who is now 11 and somehow grew 2 inches in the time I've had her! I also bought a rising 8 year old who measures one inch bigger than when I got him, and that's with his shoes taken off. So if they can grow at that age i'm sure she will ! the mare filled out loads and although she is only 14.2hh, she can easily carry my 5'9 sister- she looks just the right size on her, even though she looks far too big for my lanky 15.2hh :eek:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
She doesn't look anything like matured yet so I think she will shoot up a bit more :) I bought a 5 year old who is now 11 and somehow grew 2 inches in the time I've had her! I also bought a rising 8 year old who measures one inch bigger than when I got him, and that's with his shoes taken off. So if they can grow at that age i'm sure she will ! the mare filled out loads and although she is only 14.2hh, she can easily carry my 5'9 sister- she looks just the right size on her, even though she looks far too big for my lanky 15.2hh :eek:

Thank you. You never really know how you will look on a horse until you sit on it. I had a 14.2hh mixed breed mare on loan and I didn't look huge on her, but she was really chunky and long in the body. My filly is TB x WB so probably won't be that chunky. I am going to see her Dam on Saturday. I've not seen her in the flesh before like I have her sire. If she's anything like my TB gelding, she'll be fine. My gelding has 9 inches of bone and is a good middleweight build. Shame he can't be ridden.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Genuinely would be very very interested in her if you find that she doesn't grow tall enough.
I'm only 5ft2 so her not hitting 15hh wouldn't be problem. So if in a few years you are ever thinking of selling...;)

She's just had a baby brother born a few days ago. He's full brother. He's so beautifully marked and very cute!

brother2_zps07afb0a5.jpg

She has another full brother who is two now and for sale. He's chestnut. I have been very very tempted...

*sprinkles*

Visit site
Haven't read all the replies but saw the video of her OP and she's very cute !! Don't panic too much - they can surprise you. My Belgian warmblood gelding I bought at rising 4 years old and he was around 15hh. He is now 8 years old and 16.2hh. I didn't imagine he would grow a hand and a half !! My Dutch warmblood mare is a but like your little sweetie - her dam was 15.3hh and her sire was around 16hh. I bought her at 10 months old and she is now rising 5 years and only 14.3hh but I refuse to worry yet (I really need her to reach 15.2hh) remembering how much my gelding grew !! Give her some time, she'll get there.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I bought a youngster out of a 14hh mare by a 17hh stallion! He was 12hhs at 11 months, 14.2hh at rising 3yr old and is pushing 15.3/16hhs at 4.5yr old. The mare was arab x section a of all things, and daddy was an irish sports horse. I bought him to make 14.2hh sports pony type as him mum had jumped to JA and his dad was doing well eventing. Despite his odd breeding, hes a lovely stamp of a horse now, nice natured, jumps for fun and I wish I'd never sold him!

His half brother, by the same stallion out of a 15.3hh mare, was 12.1hh at 11 months and is now heading towards 16.2hh at 4.5yrs! Similar upbringing to yours, hay but no feed until we bought them, although we did buy them as yearlings. But theres def hope yet!

wattamus

Visit site
My friend has a nice little mare that had parents who are both over 15hh, unfortunately she is now four years old and is 14.2 and a very petite build if she was a human you'd say she was the postman's! ;) sometimes it just doesn't happen. Having said that another friend has just bought a wb with Sandro Boy bloodlines, but his parents are 16.1 and he's standing at 17.3 and he's only three years old. Breeding is clearly not a science haha.
Fingers crossed she grows, but I'm sure you won't be too big for her in the future, and if I may say, I'm so pleased to hear that you'd be keeping her :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Haven't read all the replies but saw the video of her OP and she's very cute !! Don't panic too much - they can surprise you. My Belgian warmblood gelding I bought at rising 4 years old and he was around 15hh. He is now 8 years old and 16.2hh. I didn't imagine he would grow a hand and a half !! My Dutch warmblood mare is a but like your little sweetie - her dam was 15.3hh and her sire was around 16hh. I bought her at 10 months old and she is now rising 5 years and only 14.3hh but I refuse to worry yet (I really need her to reach 15.2hh) remembering how much my gelding grew !! Give her some time, she'll get there.

I bought a youngster out of a 14hh mare by a 17hh stallion! He was 12hhs at 11 months, 14.2hh at rising 3yr old and is pushing 15.3/16hhs at 4.5yr old. The mare was arab x section a of all things, and daddy was an irish sports horse. I bought him to make 14.2hh sports pony type as him mum had jumped to JA and his dad was doing well eventing. Despite his odd breeding, hes a lovely stamp of a horse now, nice natured, jumps for fun and I wish I'd never sold him!

His half brother, by the same stallion out of a 15.3hh mare, was 12.1hh at 11 months and is now heading towards 16.2hh at 4.5yrs! Similar upbringing to yours, hay but no feed until we bought them, although we did buy them as yearlings. But theres def hope yet!

Thank you. I am thinking she might just make 15 hh if I'm lucky. :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My friend has a nice little mare that had parents who are both over 15hh, unfortunately she is now four years old and is 14.2 and a very petite build if she was a human you'd say she was the postman's! ;) sometimes it just doesn't happen. Having said that another friend has just bought a wb with Sandro Boy bloodlines, but his parents are 16.1 and he's standing at 17.3 and he's only three years old. Breeding is clearly not a science haha.
Fingers crossed she grows, but I'm sure you won't be too big for her in the future, and if I may say, I'm so pleased to hear that you'd be keeping her :)

Thank you. My head says to sell her if she's not big enough, but I have never sold a horse in over 25 years. I buy them to keep for life. I really thought hen I bought her that she would make big enough and I wouldn't normally be worrying. But for the string test that says she would make 14 hands. She is already 2 inches bigger than that!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Just checked with the current owner of the second horse I mentioned. Hes not 5yr old till August 31st, and he is now standing a full up 16.2hh and still a bit weedy, so may well grow some :) Shes looking into step ladders :D

Bennions Field

Visit site
Wow! What lovely movement. I wouldn't worry too much. I've got two now 8 year olds, when they were both rising three they measured 14.3 and just 15hh. Both were very level and appeared well grown. I was worried as one is a PRE, Andalusian, and needed to make 151cm (15.1) she was the 14.3 one. By the following spring she had grown to 15.1 and passed her grading, at 8 she now stands at a smidge under 15.3. The gelding who was only 15 at 3 now stands at just over 15.3 at 8, he's not only grown up but filled out hugely and I thought at 3 he looked like your girl well matured for 3! Im only 5'3 so happy they're not too big. I'm sure you will be fine whatever height she makes, she will fill out and grow in her body a lot more yet, her legs may be almost full height but her chest and bum will still grow and mature until she's 7 or 8 years old so don't panic yet. Best of luck with her, she's lovely, I'd certainly be proud to have her on my yard :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Wow! What lovely movement. I wouldn't worry too much. I've got two now 8 year olds, when they were both rising three they measured 14.3 and just 15hh. Both were very level and appeared well grown. I was worried as one is a PRE, Andalusian, and needed to make 151cm (15.1) she was the 14.3 one. By the following spring she had grown to 15.1 and passed her grading, at 8 she now stands at a smidge under 15.3. The gelding who was only 15 at 3 now stands at just over 15.3 at 8, he's not only grown up but filled out hugely and I thought at 3 he looked like your girl well matured for 3! Im only 5'3 so happy they're not too big. I'm sure you will be fine whatever height she makes, she will fill out and grow in her body a lot more yet, her legs may be almost full height but her chest and bum will still grow and mature until she's 7 or 8 years old so don't panic yet. Best of luck with her, she's lovely, I'd certainly be proud to have her on my yard :)

That's really encouraging. Thank you.

touchstone

Visit site
I'm another that thinks she'll probably be fine for you, it can be surprising how the smaller ones with well sprung ribs can take up your leg anyway, and weight wise you'd be fine. I'll bet William Fox-Pitt doesn't worry like this lol!

DJ

Visit site
Sounds like I may have a while to wait then if she follows his growth pattern. I don't mind waiting if she gets there in the end.

Before pic ... the day I got him (just short of 3 years old):

DSC_02712.jpg

During ... a couple of years ago when in consistent work:

28052011227.jpg

After .... now, just coming out of winter (sorry not the best pic, but you get the idea):

tust_zpsd3452d26.jpg

First time I had ever sat on him:

DSC_0364.jpg

Riding out last year (after losing 2 stone, and i needed to ... lol):

20130506_124923_zps8ddf1c03.jpg

Your girl will grow a bit more yet, and develop and fill out, I`m 100% sure of it Wagtail :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
She's gorgeous.

Don't you fret, Wagtail, she'll grow.

Oh thank you!

I'm another that thinks she'll probably be fine for you, it can be surprising how the smaller ones with well sprung ribs can take up your leg anyway, and weight wise you'd be fine. I'll bet William Fox-Pitt doesn't worry like this lol!

Lol, no, I bet he doesn't. Thank you.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Before pic ... the day I got him (just short of 3 years old):

DSC_02712.jpg

During ... a couple of years ago when in consistent work:

28052011227.jpg

After .... now, just coming out of winter (sorry not the best pic, but you get the idea):

tust_zpsd3452d26.jpg

First time I had ever sat on him:

DSC_0364.jpg

Riding out last year (after losing 2 stone, and i needed to ... lol):

20130506_124923_zps8ddf1c03.jpg

Your girl will grow a bit more yet, and develop and fill out, I`m 100% sure of it Wagtail :)

Wow the difference in the two ridden pictures is amazing! You look quite big on him in the first one, though he is carrying you well, but he looks like he could carry two of you in the second pic! He's gorgeous. Thank you for taking the time to post those pictures. :)

DJ

Visit site
Wow the difference in the two ridden pictures is amazing! You look quite big on him in the first one, though he is carrying you well, but he looks like he could carry two of you in the second pic! He's gorgeous. Thank you for taking the time to post those pictures. :)

Not a problem, the first ridden picture he was just about finding his balance bless him, he kept looking very perplexed as to what I was doing up there lol .... The saddle is the same in both pics, as is my stirrup length (and I do ride longer than most as I have hip trouble so need a long leg) .... But his barrel has deepened/filled out as he has matured, and i`m sure your girl will do the same as she grows .... she has a lovely kind face .... My boy is a bit gorgeous but then I think I am biased :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Not a problem, the first ridden picture he was just about finding his balance bless him, he kept looking very perplexed as to what I was doing up there lol .... The saddle is the same in both pics, as is my stirrup length (and I do ride longer than most as I have hip trouble so need a long leg) .... But his barrel has deepened/filled out as he has matured, and i`m sure your girl will do the same as she grows .... she has a lovely kind face .... My boy is a bit gorgeous but then I think I am biased :)

He is stunning, especially in that second picture.