I like to stable at night...is that wrong???

lunarlove

Visit site
So I have a 17.1 TB that I like to bring in at night, I like to catch him in, spend time at night grooming him, checking him over and putting him to bed with his dinner, maybe it's the groom in me (out of FT work whilst raising my kiddies finding it very hard), I have to bring my bosses eventer in every night anyway so it's no bother but several of my horsey mates have said I'm mental and he should be out 24/7, its better for him etc, etc, etc!! Am I the only person that actually enjoys stabling their horses all year round, mucking out and all that side of it, am I mental lol!!!!!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Provided it's suiting your horse and you're enjoying it carry on and bother what anyone else thinks.

3Beasties

Visit site
Your horse, your choice :)

Mine are out 24/7 from tonight after being in at night all Winter! I am so pleased to get a break from mucking out! They're my horses, and that's my choice.

Neither option is wrong unless it's detrimental to the horse :)

Fides

Visit site
You might enjoy it but it is mentally better for a horse to be out 24/7. Less chance of vices, respiratory problems and ulcers. Unless he were a particularly bad doer who needed stabling during bad weather but it is nearly summer.

You can still do all that and then turn him out after surely?

but at the end of the day it's your horse and your choice so ignore what anyone else thinks. Stick to what works best for you as you both need to be happy.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
As long as the horse is getting a good amount of turnout, which yours is, theres nothing wrong with him coming in. Ours come in at night at the moment, in summer they come in during the day. I would love them to go out 24/7 but they get too fat and the flies are really bad in this wet valley, so they can't.

lunarlove

Visit site
yeh I was thinking maybe I could bring him in for his groom and dinner etc then pop him back out but at the mo our paddock still has a lake in the middle and is so boggy in places so its def too wet for his sensitive legs, saying that i could smother him in pig oil I spose. hummmmmm, wanders away thinking what i would do if I didnt have to muck out every day!!!

lunarlove

Visit site
As long as the horse is getting a good amount of turnout, which yours is, theres nothing wrong with him coming in. Ours come in at night at the moment, in summer they come in during the day. I would love them to go out 24/7 but they get too fat and the flies are really bad in this wet valley, so they can't.

Ours have 8 acres to wander about in, go out at 7.30 and I get them in about 6.30 (they have to be ridden every day but then go back out if its midday) however the flies are a huge issue so often they are by the gate waiting to come in for a break!! decisions decisions :)

NativePonyLover

Visit site
We have to stable at night, but even if we didn't I'd still stable for part of the day or night I think - although not mucking out would be nice!

Having a good doer, laminitis prone native - I prefer to be able to bring him in off of the grass (he still has access to plenty of forage in the firm of soaked/rinsed hay & straw but not with the calories & sugar grass has) as a preventative measure.

He's happy with this & if your boy is, then that is great :) horses for courses & all that.

Feival

Visit site
You might enjoy it but it is mentally better for a horse to be out 24/7
I am so sick of this opinion! Trip my 22yo ISH CANNOT go out over night as he will simply jump out and wander off, Company doesn't make him stay put, good grass doesn't make him stay put, NOTHING DOES!!!! so 24/7 turnout being better for them is simply not the gospel truth and those who frown upon others for keeping in at night, need to mind there own business. Not a dig at just you fides, but to all with the same view as you too

PolarSkye

Visit site
You might enjoy it but it is mentally better for a horse to be out 24/7. Less chance of vices, respiratory problems and ulcers. Unless he were a particularly bad doer who needed stabling during bad weather but it is nearly summer.

What rubbish. I've tried 24/7 turnout with my boy and he didn't settle, didn't sleep, worried, stressed and dropped condition.

At the end of the day, appropriate equine management is about what suits both horse and rider . . . as long as both are happy, relaxed, happy in their work (or retirement) then all is good.

P

skint1

Visit site
Not mental at all, I think a few horses on my yard, my own included, would love to come in at night I am sure

debsflo

Visit site
mine, a mini and an elderley warmblood come in every night all year round. Partly to restrict grass but they both love to lie down and sleep and are used to coming in. Do what suits you and your horse.

Shutterbug

Visit site
I used to livery on a large Full Livery yard where all of the horses came in at night and it was a rarity for any of them to be left out overnight. If it suits you and your horse then its perfectly fine. I bring my 2 in at night at least once a week to give them a break from the field and all they want to do is sleep.

lunarlove

Visit site
I must say that I have always found that horses in a set routine are happier, all the comp yards I have worked on bring in all year round if they are in work, my lad was by the gate tonight as I left them out till 7 and he couldnt get in his comfy stable and dig into his haynet and feed quick enough but I do seem to be the minority here I think. It's what he knows, hes an ex racer, been out of racing for 3 years but done lots now and is succesfully retrained, he is very happy to be in his stable on the yard with his buddy at a comp, on his own, so long as he has a haynet he's perefctly chilled. Thanks for your feed back though guys :)

Tobiano

Visit site
If your horse is happy then you go right ahead! Mine all go out at night and in during the day (flies, sunburn!) and also I cant leave them out 24/7 as they are all fantastically good doers and would be hippos in a week without a muzzle. They are usually queuing at the gate to come in in the morning, have a lovely dozy time in the stable during the day and generally enjoy life - I am sure yours is the same and so stick to your guns. I also agree with the issues of wet ground and feet etc, there are a lot of niggles that get avoided if you alternate some time in and out IMHO.

Orangehorse

Visit site
If they are out in a group they might also like the opportunity to lie down in their stable where they know they aren't going to be picked on by another horse. Some horses like their stables. They are in shelter, a comfy bed and food.

I tend to bring mine in at night most of the year round. If it is very hot weather they would come in during the day time. As they are only on a smallish paddock I think bringing them in gives them a change of scene.

maisie06

Visit site
Your horse = you choose, if you are both happy with this situation then don't change it to suit other people, horses are happy in a routine. My stay out 24/7 but they are a retired cob and 2 native crosses and are out in all weathers, despite some people telling me they should be stabled! Your chap sounds happy and content so carry on!

ebonyallen

Visit site
You should do what ever you want to do, its nothing to do with anyone else. My girl is out during the day and in at night, this is her routine summer and winter, I do not care what anyone thinks or does this is what I choose to do .

pottamus

Visit site
I stable my lad at night throughout the year because he has had laminitis in the past when turned out 24/7. So I use this as a preventative measure now to give him a break from grass. Also, he never sits down in the field at all to rest, he just eats constantly, where as at night in his stable he has a sit down rest every night, which I think is a good thing too.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Tried keeping my horse out 24/7 one summer a few years ago. She started writing complaint letters to the RSPCA. So I gave up on that idea.

It depends on the horse.

DD265

Visit site
My boy definitely seems to like coming in at night all year round. That said we are both creatures of habit!

Greylegs

Visit site
My highland is an exceptionally good doer with a bit of SI. As such, he comes in every night after after a full day out. It helps keep his weight in check and keeps him out of the midges in the evening. He's perfectly happy to be in over night regardless of the time of year. Your horse, your choice.

noodle_

Visit site
mine is now living out 24/7 - but with a muzzle on as she is a fatty, the grass is very rich too [not been grazed for a long time] :D

i could leave her in a few hours a day but to be honest it does not suit me due to distance, and time - so yes out all the time but muzzled... :]

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Mine is in at night all year round apart from any time I can't catch him in the summer!

He's best in a very strict routine so I'm not changing that.