If you dropped dead tomorrow, what would happen to your horse?

Elsbells

Visit site
My OH and I discussed this last night and Im intrested in what you guys think? My mare is a real stresshead and can be difficult with strange places and people if Im not with her. She came into my care after slipping down the dealers ladder of 8 yards in 6 months and I wouldn't want that for her again, ever, so I have told him PTS.

What would you do?

mightymammoth

Visit site
I'm lucky that my boyfriend would look after him although he would not be ridden or if he was it would only be occasionally . If He wasn't going to be able to look after him I'm not sure :confused:

Copperpot

Visit site
My OH bought him for me and would never sell him. He can ride too, so he would become his horse. My life insurance caters well for Chester if I should die.

murphysmummy

Visit site
Both me and my sister have horses and we've always said that if anything happened to either of us then we'd always have each others horses, even if it was the horses that ended us! Guess I'm pretty lucky in that sense.

monkeybum13

Visit site
My mum would have her, we share her anyway.
Although she's tricky to school/jump she's well mannered on the ground and a novice could hack her out so she'd find a suitable home easily enough if something terrible happened to both of us!

I think she'd quite like to live on my uncle's dairy farm, she loves cows!

ladyt25

Visit site
My sister and my mum would look after them. I wouldn't have it written then my horse(s) should be PTS just because I think noone else could possibly look after them. A lot of people seem to have this opinion about their horse but I do wonder why they feel their care is so special compared to evryone else's? I too have an old (26 yo) pony who before coming to me aged 8 had been to a fair few homes and is was/is fairly neurotic. However, we have loaned him successfully on two occasion to (oddly enough) pretty much novices and he did really well and they loved and cared for him.

Of course, if your horse is very old and or requires on going and maybe expensive medication then that's a different matter.

suzi

Visit site
My 3 horses who are out on loan would become the property of the people who are loaning them (all have offered to buy them from me in the past but for sentimental reasons I have said no as I want to retain ownership).

My retired TB would go to my mum to live with her New Forest who I currently also look after or would be offered back to his old owner / trainer or would be PTS depending on the circumstances of the individuals.

My competition horse (who is not easy) would go to his old owner (the lady who bred him) as I can't guarentee being able to leave any money to be used for looking after them in my will (as I own nothing of value except them and my house and I want to leave my half of the house to my partner). I know she has the means to look after him and would find him a suitable new home if he was still able to be competed (something she can't do which is why she sold him).

Everyone involved is fully aware of my intentions - though I hope it doesn't happen soon as I'm only 27!!

orionstar

Visit site
I've willed both the horses to my best friend who's my yard owner, with the line that it will be entirely his choice as to what to do with them. In the event that I can no longer make the desision what to do with them because of an accident etc then my OH has been instructed to allow best friend to make that desision for me as i know he'll make the best choice for the welfare of the horses.

jennywren07

Visit site
OH would pay for Jen to stay at the farm at grass and my best friend would care for her. If for whatever reason that wasn't possible she'd be pts. Shes in her 20's with a few heath probs so wont be sold on now.

Jasper will either be found a home by my friend or sent back to his breeder for her to rehome because as fab as my OH is and he can manage basic care he'd have no interest in keeping him and isnt experianced enough to sell him on himself

TheoryX1

Visit site
Well Mini TX would keep him on, with the help of my OH. However, if this is not practical or possible I have included a section in my will that they will go to Horseworld for the duration of their lives. Its all done properly and Horseworld will be getting a substantial donation from my estate as well.

StormyMoments

Visit site
my mum and step dad would take over full care of him, he would not be sold, we have always said he is the last thing to go and i think he would stay in our family until he finally dies, missy on the other hand would be sold. as a youngster i feel she would be better off put to use with someone else rather than sitting in the field where as taz is happy to mooch hes rising 10/11 and shes rising 3 so i dont think she would be happy doing nothing where as taz is perfectly happy without much attention at all and if worst came to worst missy would go back to her previous owner who said they would have her back in a heartbeat and taz would be pts as it would not go down well with him being sold and hes so quirky and has so many things wrong with him you would have to pay someone to take him :eek:

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
If I dropped dead I dont know what my family would do. Probably put Chico on livery but then i'm not sure.

Just asked them and they said they would put him on full livery but then didnt know.

I have asked them to put him on full loan on his current yard, whether it be to someone already at the yard or someone new. I would want them the keep ownership of him and made them promise they would make sure he was well looked after.

Cedars

Visit site
I would hope that my OH would keep her, but realistically she's not anything like what he wants. In that case, she would go back to WHW, who I would 100% trust to find her a lovely home.

If OH dropped dead, would be my responsibility! His first horse, would stay til the end of his days, the eventer would be sold on.

What are the legal implications of this though - if you're not married?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Joint between DH & my S-I-L.
Have also designated a bank account to be given over to SIL to manage the keep from - enough to keep current pair for around 18months for maintenance, feed, hay, shoeing etc & a sum for vets bills.
All are agreed that in the event of things changing, then they are to be offered to previous owners, if not, then PTS.
The reason for PTS is that 1 is very much a hands on horse & has quirks, the other would prob be taken back by breeder (past owner)

Last edited:

The_snoopster

Visit site
My youngster will go to my best friend and my old mare and shettie would retire together being looked after by my hubby over seen with my friend to make sure they dont get fat and farriers visits are sorted out untill he learns what their needs are. He is quite good with the and has learnt loads, but he still tends to make their buckets a bit too big.
If he found he could not cope I would prefer for them to be PTS as the shettie is currently 16 and has cushings, and my mare is in her 20,s and although they are very healthy with me I could not bare to think of them doing the sales or dealers yards :(

Littlelegs

Visit site
Mine would go to a very good friend, who I would trust to either keep herself or find a suitable loan home. Don't have family so slightly more important that she'd also inherit my daughter so I think I can trust her to do right by the ponies!

Kokopelli

Visit site
I would beg my sharer to have him as she's the only person I would trust with him as he isn't easy and I'd hate for him to be passed from home to home. He's with me for life.

Goldenstar

Visit site
OH would sort mine he knows which friends to ask to help .
If we both go there's a substantial sum in the will to sort the horses my brothers knows there's a letter with my friends names and my thoughts on each of the horses which I update now and again.
I feel happy knowing this is sorted if the worse happens.

Spotsrock

Visit site
L would be pts as she is 32 and about ready. Small b would go to best mate for her daughter. I'm hoping she'd take big b too but cost and time may preclude that. Also he's 16.3 and daughter's a small 12 year old but he likes her and my mate. Otherwise yard mate might have him. Wants one like him anyway. Scatty mare would be sold by yard mate as she is for sale anyway.

Clodagh

Visit site
Theresa W gets mine - although I'm worried that she really wants my 2 year old and may be plotting my downfall.
OH knows what I would like to be done, as does Theresa!!

dressagelove

Visit site
Well mine live at my parents farm, so would be fine to be looked after. Long term, I don't actually know, could do with putting them in a proper will really! Don't have any horsey relatives that would want them really.

Hoping I'm not going to drop dead though! :p

Parker79

Visit site
OH has instructions that a chunk of my life ins/CI cover is there to cover horse costs.

My mare would stay put...she is in the most amazing livery yard and they have many retired horses, she is 20 and lots of health issues.

My youngster would go to a very good friend with a donation of cash. I would love him to stay where he is but I know my friend would give him a home for life.

I understand your worry...its a horrible thing to arrange. Have you looked into the gifting scheme with WHW? I dont know much about it but a livery in my yard has done it, she is donating a huge amount to them as far as I know.

Visit site
Mine have been left to horse charity (with very large bequest) hoping they will accept them. I am on my own with no relatives so my worry is who will look after them if something happens to me until solicitors get things sorted .Same with dog. This has been really stressing me out as I am on the downward slope myself now!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
No idea. Family is deeply unhorsey, they aren't able even to put on a headcollar! My lovely sharer couldn't afford his upkeep and hes not best yard mate's type. I'd probably get her to keep him and sell him.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
My OH would keep ours, if something happend to both of us, then they would go to my mum (along with the dog).

If my mum could no longer look after hers, then I'll take them on.