If you found out your yard was sedating your horse..

Renvers

Visit site
What an awful experience, I am glad you have left that environment I hope the horses settle and you find a good yard soon. Not all Full Livery yards are like that, I am happy on mine, but we have to put a lot of trust in the Yard staff and these sound awful.

What if you had been riding a sedated horse and something happened, they are lucky they haven't caused you or someone else a serious injury by administering sedatives and not telling you before you get on.

I know of horses who have been given a small amount of sedalin prior to being turned out after a long period of box rest on our yard but always with Vet and Owner consent.

Whether or not you pursue the matter through legal channels having blood tests will allow you to know what levels your horses have and what their immediate management should be (riding etc.). I would also be telling everyone I know about my experience to ensure no one else is put at risk.

PollyP99

Visit site
Then you better be prepared to pay big bucks for that "moral victory". You don't think litigation is cheap surely?!

Small claims will not cost big but will ruin potentially the YO reputation - horse world is a small place - hence moral victory.

Any particular reason you are against doing the right thing and shaming this practice??

PollyP99

Visit site
Small claims will not cost big but will ruin potentially the YO reputation - horse world is a small place - hence moral victory.

Any particular reason you are against doing the right thing and shaming this practice??

I'm with the other poster getting yours out but not saying anything/doing anything I just don't get.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
If it were my horses in this scenario, I think I would be looking at the Vetinary Surgeons Act 1966, the bit about the treatment of animals by anyone other than a qualified Vetinary Surgeon, I think it may make interestin reading.

Boulty

Visit site
I'd be speaking to my own vet on the sly to work out if bloods to prove the presence of sedalin would be worthwhile (don't know if it would show up / how long for). After you move I'd be writing a letter of complaint to the prescribing vet, informing the RCVS and taking legal advice from someone experienced in the odd goings on of the horse world. Not sure if you would get anything financially but giving a prescription drug to an animal it has not been prescribed to without the permission of the owner is definitely dodgy ground to be standing on and if word gets out then obviously it won't be good for their business. I'm not sure what legislation applies to running a livery yard but I'm pretty sure if that were to happen at a kennels say (sedating a dog without owners knowledge or vet authorization) then they'd be in trouble and at risk of losing their licence.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't think this will go anywhere legally unless OP got bloods taken very quickly after she first got the text sent to her by accident .
If its not been done before the horses leave the yard I think the test will be pretty well worthless because it will very easy to claim the drug was administered in an other place , and difficult to prove otherwise .
The costs of a drug test that is suitable to stand up in court may be considerable .
GW I hope the move goes easily and that you have better luck with the yard next time.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
All moved - one back with my trainer, 2 on diy - fortunalty next door to each other in the stables so not creating havoc and the only one that is upset is the one that has gone back to his old place - but i had dropped the other two off so feel a bit sorry for him - so he was screaming his wee head off - feeling deaf now ! lol

Just had a call to see where my horses are - I have been told that its all a HUGE missunderstanding and that I have made a mountain out of a mole hill and it was a one off - and i really should have spoken to them and they are still expecting a months notice from me. year right

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Just had a call to see where my horses are - I have been told that its all a HUGE missunderstanding and that I have made a mountain out of a mole hill and it was a one off - and i really should have spoken to them and they are still expecting a months notice from me. year right

Just as they should have spoken to you before sedating your horse.

Glad the move went ok.

dunkley

Visit site
Glad your move went ok :)

You are NOT overreacting, and the 'one off' is a pathetic excuse. ..............."Honestly, officer, I only sold heroin once, it was a mistake and a misunderstanding" .................... sorry, doesn't wash :( Not quite applicable here, but in ALL cases, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Litigation will not cost you big bucks, unless a solicitor does it for you, so go ahead if you need to. (I am currently looking at taking out a form of court order - £1200 if my solicitor does it, £60 court fee if I do it myself with downloaded forms.)

I would be tempted to tell her to whistle for her notice, and let her instigate proceedings if she wants to - then you can just offer all your evidence to contradict her/defend yourself. Small claims will either find in her favour, or yours, but she has the initial expense of kicking it all off. :)

Enjoy the well-deserved gin :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I imagine that this was delivered with an air of injured innocence and self righteous indignation?!!

Sorry if I've missed this in earlier posts, but is it a BHS approved yard?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Glad your move went ok :)

You are NOT overreacting, and the 'one off' is a pathetic excuse. ..............."Honestly, officer, I only sold heroin once, it was a mistake and a misunderstanding" .................... sorry, doesn't wash :( Not quite applicable here, but in ALL cases, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Litigation will not cost you big bucks, unless a solicitor does it for you, so go ahead if you need to. (I am currently looking at taking out a form of court order - £1200 if my solicitor does it, £60 court fee if I do it myself with downloaded forms.)

I would be tempted to tell her to whistle for her notice, and let her instigate proceedings if she wants to - then you can just offer all your evidence to contradict her/defend yourself. Small claims will either find in her favour, or yours, but she has the initial expense of kicking it all off. :)

Enjoy the well-deserved gin :)

Op will need evidence that will be difficult unless she's had blood taken quickly after the event.
In the small claims court she will have prove want her lose is I am not sure how she will do that
Unless she has evidence it will her word against the yards ,with the burden of proof tilted against her.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I would still be tempted to tell them that if she expects you to pay a month's notice you will be taking legal action over this "huge misunderstanding", let them sweat a bit.

Enjoy your worry free night. Must feel good. Hope the horses settle down soon.xx

amandap

Visit site
The best news ever op! Well done acting so quickly. Phew, I'd join you in a G&T if I had any left! lol

Just re read the text, it's all in there re the "once only" remark!

quirky

Visit site
Glad you got them out and all are relatively happy.

I have been sued for leaving without a notice period, even though I had paid a month ahead and was 2 weeks into that month.
You have the opportunity to counter claim, I did this. It was a little more complicated as there was stolen tack involved but the main part of my claim involved a duty of care to the horse.
I won :) and they paid out to me. Had I not counter sued I would definitely have lost, the judge said as much, due to the contract I'd signed.

Visit site
I would completely flip out. Would quickly find another yard to move to and be gone the same day. Then, I would look into where I stood legally in the situation. Interesting that I have also heard this week of someone else doing this at another yard - think the owner knows about this one though which still doesn't make it right. In this case, Sedaline is being administered to calm a stressy horse in the stable. Neither right, nor acceptable!

Kick On

Visit site
GW- OMG just read this, I'm so glad you have moved you horses.

I have to be honest I wouldn't have been able to control myself with YO (how unprofessional)

WTF drugging my horse WITHOUT MY PERMISSON AND KNOWLEDGE!!!! I hope you can warned all other liveries about the YO behaviour!!!! TOTALLY WRONG

pip6

Visit site
Best of luck. think positive, you found out before you'd been there very long. I went to a yard once, turned out to be nightmare & I went within the month. Move on, you're the lucky one, yours are safe & out of there. At least you aren't now scared about what is happening to them behind your back.