If you re-homed/rescued a dog, where did you get it from?

ihatework

Visit site
I have been looking to get a rescue dog for the last 18 months, everyone I applied for I was turned down. For two reasons, we don’t have a large garden and we have two cats.

I am 52 years old and retired, we walk our current dog 4x a day. We have a holiday home by the sea that we try and go to every week and the dogs would come to the stables with me 2-3 times per day. ?‍♀️?‍♀️

I gave up and found a lovely 3 year old Minnature Labradoodle for rehoming on Preloved. Lovely little dog who has been really well looked after and trained. Unfortunately the families circumstances had changed and they were struggling to look after her properly.

I did pay for her, £450 which to be honest was an absolute bargain and I would have had to pay similar as most rescue centres.

Some of these rehoming centres are utterly mental. I’ve never tried to rehome from one but I can guarantee I wouldn’t get past the first hurdle.

Yet I have experienced dog breeders/trainers lining up to give me their retiring dogs ?‍♀️

chaps89

Visit site
And yet conversely Battersea rehomed an Akita x GSD to our neighbour who works long shifts and lives in a small 1 bed flat. ?‍♀️
I hope you manage to find a dog who settles into your lives easily OP

LaurenBay

Visit site
I found my Beagle free to a good home on FB. When I looked at her profile we had a friend in common, I contacted my friend and asked if she knew the dog. Friend spoke to the owner and said she could vouch for me and he would be very well looked after. She was bombarded with messages and I was the only person who asked to meet the Dog first, and since we had a mutual friend she gave him to me. I have had him 3 years.

sunnyone

Visit site
My flat coat retriever came from the police pound via the friend of a friend who refused to put her down! How that dog ever became a stray I don't know, she was such a lovely dog and so well trained. I spent a good couple of months wondering if somebody would finally claim her, it would have broken my heart to hand her back but they never did.
Having retired we felt ready for a rescue dog here in France.There are thousands of dogs abandoned each year here.
The RSPCA equivalent is the SPA so we went to one. The chap walked us around the kennels and we chose a year old pointer cross. He'd already spent 9 months there as a resident because people here dont want big dogs unless they are to be used for shooting. To our astonishment we were expected to take him home there and then; we had to use baling string as a lead when taking him into the centre's vet for his exit medical. Again a lovely dog, I only ever heard him growl once and that was when he was a few days away from needing to be PTS through cancer.
Our current dog is a chocolate Labrador, also from the SPA. He and his siblings got taken in as a result of being ready for sale just when everybody was Covid locked down. Nobody could buy them as non-essential travel was fined. The bitch' s owners had intolerant neighbours who made a complaint once the litter started going outside and barking, hence their entry into the SPA. All four of the pups left on the first Saturday after travel to adopt an animal was permitted, and that was only allowed for 1 person in the household. We’ve now had him 19 months.

PurBee

Visit site
The dogs and cats ive owned all ended up being strays - 7 cats over 20yrs - dumped kittens as strays - or dogs rehomed due to owner changing circumstances - from people close to me or friend of a friend. I didnt really go looking for any animals, just thought about having one when one in need came into my life.

Just had my 17yr old dog pts, leaving the gsd. I had decided after old man cat of 20 died, no more cats - then a stray found us in the middle of nowhere, and due to that extraordinary feat on his part, surviving on eating mostly spiders as a stray kitten!!…he stayed. He’s like a dog, trainable. The first cat ive ever been able to train!

There’s sooooo many animals needing good homes, i dont agree with a lot of the breeding that goes on as it tempts ‘designer dog’ owning and there’s less homes for the ones in need - except for really rare ‘quality bloodlines’ breeds.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Two of ours are rescue and came from friends. With both they'd had a few homes that weren't so good, then their last homes were sort of okay, issues of different types in each, but they really needed out and stability and to learn their places in life. They're now grand and very much loved and great fun. We get the occasional reminder of time gone by, just have to be aware and try not to cause them angst, for example the wee dog is f'ing scared of the sweeping brush, though coming round with time and gentle exposure, whilst the hairy dog loses if ever shouted at.

We had four come at once a few years ago. Theirs hadn't been happy lives and all came with issues of one sort or another, however their characters came out and they turned into grand wee things.

Come to think of it, all three cats were rescues of one sort of another - not wanted, stray (tried hard to find owner), friends of friends couldn't keep.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My last rescue came from Dog Aid Society Scotland. Very down to earth and realistic people. Had poor experiences with a Scottish breed specific rescue and Beagle breed society rescue. Dogs Trust had nothing in a group of 100 dogs that would cope with rural life apparently and the one they did offer had a known bite history.

danda

Visit site
My little girl came from a rescue society in the North of France that takes in elderly dogs (often the owner has died or gone into care and rhe family do not want an old dog so they are thrown out) and occasionally younger dogs with special needs. all dogs are with foster families and so they really know the dog’s character and can match up with the person adopting. There is always a physical visit to the new home to be sure it is suitable. Some of the dogs taken in are too traumatized by what has gone on previously so cannot be adopted and then have a “retirement” basket with a fosterer. These are mostly small dogs though there have been some GSD and hunting dogs and 2 Newfoundlands recently. Not much help for someone living in England but a really worthy charity.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think he’s going to be a lone dog. He looks settled. He’s not having to share attention and has decided my OH does merit cuddles after all. He was very upset with my family member’s puppy at the weekend so I’d rather not upset the balance. He’s pretty needy, but that’s our fault for making him soppy-I very deliberately chose the cuddly one. I’d hate to get another that dominated him or that took attention away from him. He deserves our undivided attention.
1637965428224.jpeg

catembi

Visit site
Free ads. The dog wasn't free! I set up a thing so that I got emailed all the suitable dogs each morning & joined it so that I could access the newest adverts.

Cob Life

Visit site
She was offered on preloved cheap, had already had 3 homes in 4 months and was incredibly nervous (and still is), very under weight and the first time I took her outside the house she had a melt down.
She’s still nervous of people 6 years later, especially men

I do think she is originally from a puppy farm but that’s a whole other story!

Cob Life

Visit site
Some of these rehoming centres are utterly mental. I’ve never tried to rehome from one but I can guarantee I wouldn’t get past the first hurdle.

Yet I have experienced dog breeders/trainers lining up to give me their retiring dogs ?‍♀️
I know someone who worked in a small rescue but they didn’t have anything suitable for her, went to a big rescue to look and they turned her down as they wanted to work the dog as a gundog and they don’t support that