I'm going to have to do it (Rambo rug)

jnb

Visit site
You say the Weatherbeeta doesn't fit, the older ones are less generous, as are the Essential range....my chunky HW Cob has to have the Comfitec Dynamic (with clips at chest and large tail flap, all of them are minimum 1200D)
Try the Comfitec Dynamic, if it's 6ft 9 you need you ought to be able to source one at less than £100 for a Medium weight. I'll pop a pic of my cob in his shortly - 10" bone and 688Kg 15.1hh HW, I don't think you can get much more chunky?807A9E95-BC19-4630-90D4-DE684FEDCC5B.jpeg962BF6BE-99BF-45CB-B38B-F3B5FCA04776.jpeg

Last edited:

dorsetladette

Visit site
OP - I feel your pain.

I've bought B1 a whole new wardrobe for the winter, admittedly second hand. But all washed and reproofed ready to wear. The only rug that has held up to the rain over the weekend is his original horseware 0g (which I always call a mark todd because of the colour and fit) which I bought for £5 off a friend years ago. Its not been washed or reproofed in the time I've had it and it never leaks.

I also have a room full of smelly wet rags drying on the hooks, but I'm loathed to buy new as he does a striptease act when he doesn't want to wear his rugs and deposits them in shreds around the field.

Dexter

Visit site
I have Optimos and Duos. Optimos fit my big lad better. He has PSSM so quite often wears 2 lines underneath it. So long as you clip both in at the back they dont move. I nearly wept at the cost but 3yrs in I have no regrets. You do need to size down though.

EnduroRider

Visit site
I have two of three geldings in Optimos, the third (and the horse I was originally purchasing for) just did not get on with the fit. He is quite deep from withers to chest but narrow at the same time and the rug was always sitting behind his withers, pulling tight on the front of his chest and rubbing. For the two that they fit I really rate them, however my guys do play rough and have pulled off the plastic patches at the top of the shoulder darts and the one that usually has his rugs ripped does have several small nicks in the outer (but it has held up so much better and not ripped off in strips like most rugs do!). Size wise, normally always 6' but 5'9'' in the Optimo.

SJJR

Visit site
I bought the very first version of the Rambo original when it came out. After 17 years winter wear I lost that horse and it was too wee for the others (who had their own Rambo's) I gave the rug to a friend and it was used on her horse until 2010 when it was consigned to dog bed in shed. I wouldn't use any other make of rug. Excellent value for money.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive had the odd Rambo over the years and have never been impressed. I bought the Duo when it first came out years ago and it leaked like a sieve yet was meant to be a winter rug! Ive used the cheaper Amigo and Mio ones since nown and again but again, they tend to leak pretty quick. I love Weatherbeeta, always fit well, are waterproof and last years.

Reactions: jnb

Annagain

Visit site
The only thing I'd say about them is that Monty had a Rhino wug and it was very short in the body (I love the description of a fat lass in a body con dress, it's perfect). The optima sounds a bit different so I think you'd need to go for that. It was very waterproof though, even the 0g version.

I know they're a marmite rug but I'm a fan of Premier Equine - they're the only ones that are long enough in the body for the big boys and mine are all still waterproof 6 or 7 years down the line. They've only been washed when absolutely necessary for repairs so maybe one or twice in that time. They're the same size so between the two of them they have enough rugs and liners to make 0g, 50g, 100g, 200g, 300g and 400g options by pairing various rugs with various liners so we have about 8 rugs for the cost of 5! They've only ever been in 300g once for about a fornight when we had a really prolonged cold spell and have never needed the 400g option but it's there if we need it.

Having said that, I bought a second hand 0g Gallop rug for Charlie from a friend as he's in 6'6" at the moment but it won't be long before he's in 6'9" and I have plenty of those so didn't want to spend a fortune on a rug for a few weeks. I've been quite impressed by it. I'm estimating it's about 3 years old as that's how long my friend has had the horse it came off (he outgrew it) and Charlie's been dry and warm even in the non-stop rain we've had. It's also it's nice and deep on him with lots of room in the shoulder although a tiny bit short on the bum for him - not enough to go to PE 6'9" though.

Squeak

Visit site
I had the same problem over the weekend :( So many wet soggy rugs including shires and weatherbeeta comfitec dynamic 100g's that were less than a year old. Can't go through this winter like that either so was also wondering about a Rambo.

BUT my rhino LW also leaked. I bought it second hand in the summer in what seems to be in very good condition and it lasted a couple of days of torrential rain but by Saturday evening it was saturated. I was a bit disappointed as I had hoped for it to be 100% waterproof.

Do you all reckon a reproof will sort it? I did wonder about just reproofing a load of rugs but I wasn't convinced that would work?

Caol Ila

Visit site
My horse has been using Swish rugs for a number of years now. I really like them. They seem rugged enough, always waterproof, and don't break the bank. I have a the rain sheet, a 75g one, and a 200g one.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I had the same problem over the weekend :( So many wet soggy rugs including shires and weatherbeeta comfitec dynamic 100g's that were less than a year old. Can't go through this winter like that either so was also wondering about a Rambo.

BUT my rhino LW also leaked. I bought it second hand in the summer in what seems to be in very good condition and it lasted a couple of days of torrential rain but by Saturday evening it was saturated. I was a bit disappointed as I had hoped for it to be 100% waterproof.

Do you all reckon a reproof will sort it? I did wonder about just reproofing a load of rugs but I wasn't convinced that would work?

My Rhinos are 5 and 3 years old and have never leaked. Both no fill with liners when needed and in the deluge last weekend kept both horses perfectly dry. I wash them in my machine once a year on a cool wash with a non bio detergent and once perfectly dry they get painted with Fabsil reproof stuff. When I went to put them back on that evening they were completely dry to touch when the other liveries Shires and Weatherbeeta rugs were soaked through inside and out.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
With the detachable necks, how does the bit at the bottom of the nect piece, where it hits the withers area, stay down?

I was about to buy one a few years ago and just at that point looked out the shop window and two horses wearing the same rug as I was about to get were stood with that wee bit flapped up in the wrong direction, so the bottom of the neck / wither was exposed.

Other than the above I really like the look of them. I tend to go for the chunkier horse and have found my Premier Equine rugs both too narrow and too deep. Come to think of it, there's two never been worn PE heavyweight t/o rugs in the barn - Titch got through the last couple of Scottish winters without needing a rug, and I lost my ID two years ago before he got to wear it.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Rhinos are made slightly differently as the outer layer isn't the waterproof layer- that is the second layer under the tough outer.

Fabric
Unique barrier technology has a 1000D polypropylene outer which protects the waterproof and breathable barrier layer underneath.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Swish rug has arrived and JUST fits. Just a little hint of belly peeking out the bottom. Probably because they've had new grass the past few days... again due to the swearword monsoon!

I've also had a very generous offer of a second hand Rambo ❤ So hoping that fits. I might just have to starve her into it anyway to be honest!

Just squeezed into the Swish rug... although seemed a good fit on the neck and shoulders

FB_IMG_1602076465080.jpg

holeymoley

Visit site
I couldn’t justify the price for a Rambo so I bought the Horseware Amigo Bravo with the layering system. It’s fantastic, I’m really impressed with the quality. I’ve not had to use any liners yet but I think it’s a great idea and it’s really simple to use.

I was fed up with rain sheets at £40/£50 that would last a few downpours and then give up. So yes definitely if you can afford it, go for it!

archiesmum

Visit site
I am so glad that I'm not the only one with damp rugs! Being a rug hoarder I did have enough to change them over to dry ones but they had filling whereas the first days rugs were no fill Bridleway and Shires so they were heavier than I would like. Interested to see how you get on with the Rambo as my chunky 5yo ID girl tends to have a bit of tummy hanging out or looks strangled :-( maybe it is time to try the expensive brands now she has steadied the growing?!

alexomahony

Visit site
Have you been back and mentioned the leaking to Ruggles? Their customer service is usually very good :)

I have a rug from them as it was a LW 1200D and affordable and it’s kept my horse very dry through these recent downpours.

I have a Rhino for the worst of the weather and then the LW Ruggles will go on the porky Welsh cob!

So good having two horses who need different weights through the year but are the same size so can share ?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I haven't. I didn't get a good response when I queried the positioning of the leg straps on the first of the rugs so assume I'd get short shrift again to be honest. I just took the leg straps off and used a fillet string. If the fit hadn't been so good I'd have been unimpressed enough with the tone of the response to not buy from them again. But now I have 3 Ruggles turnouts, all less than about 2 years old, sodden through in one weekend...

HobleytheTB

Visit site
But now I have 3 Ruggles turnouts, all less than about 2 years old, sodden through in one weekend...

I had the same issue last week. My ruggles 0g, that i got last year, had previously coped with the storms earlier in the year (although horse was only on day time turnout at that point). Unfortunately it didn't withstand with a night of heavy rain - luckily the horse didn't seem to care!

jnb

Visit site
Decided to have a check out of the Rambo Optimo as it sounds great but just had a small heart attack at the price and am now crying into my coffee at the mere thought of it ????
Don't bother if you have a cob SLH, they don't go anywhere near them and the neck will be 10" too long (and too narrow!)
Honestly, Weatherbeeta Comfitec Dynamic Plus, borrow one of mine to try on yours, mine lived out 24/7 all last winter in the 100g (Med/Lite) and 220g (Med), never so much as damp. Fit him perfectly.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I bought a Rambo bundle last year as it was massively discounted to just under £300. I like it but it is so painful to watch it getting muddy and I'm very worried that it will leak. Its the most I've ever spent on a rug and the cost upset me greatly!! I'm currently trying to decide whether to buy a second hand one. Someone said that you should never reproof a Rambo as it makes them leak? Any truth in that?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have a Duo that was bought when they first made them and it has never been washed and reproofed. I have washed the liners in the washing machine and hosed down the outer. It is still waterproof.

Dexter

Visit site
Don't bother if you have a cob SLH, they don't go anywhere near them and the neck will be 10" too long (and too narrow!)
Honestly, Weatherbeeta Comfitec Dynamic Plus, borrow one of mine to try on yours, mine lived out 24/7 all last winter in the 100g (Med/Lite) and 220g (Med), never so much as damp. Fit him perfectly.

Thats completely wrong. The Optimos are really generous. I sized my big heavy weight cob down. They are the only rug I will use for him as anything else if far too tight around the shoulder. The necks are more than big enough as well.

jnb

Visit site
Thats completely wrong. The Optimos are really generous. I sized my big heavy weight cob down. They are the only rug I will use for him as anything else if far too tight around the shoulder. The necks are more than big enough as well.
Ok, well that's my opinion. Based on me buying Rambos and trying them, admittedly on my old LW Show cob not this current HW who is even broader.
I've spent my whole life being wrong about everything so I'll try not to let it get to me.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I was advised to not get the Optimo for my horses as it would be cut too big for them. They fit the Original and standard cut with leg arches.

Barlow

Visit site
Having finally decided to plump for the optimo over the duo and spending what seemed like half a kidney on it, I felt slightly sick after reading this thread about the sizing differences, but I am relieved to say that I tried it on my boy today and luckily it fits, slightly on the large side but not so much so that I need to downsize and will be fine once liners are in too. Definitely no rubbing of shoulders or catching his mane on withers. Panic over!!!