I'm going to have to do it (Rambo rug)

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I bought a Rambo bundle last year as it was massively discounted to just under £300. I like it but it is so painful to watch it getting muddy and I'm very worried that it will leak. Its the most I've ever spent on a rug and the cost upset me greatly!! I'm currently trying to decide whether to buy a second hand one. Someone said that you should never reproof a Rambo as it makes them leak? Any truth in that?

Just to clarify for anyone reading this thread, I'm not worried about it leaking for any reason other than I will be upset that I spent that much on a rug!! All my concerns relate to me being a right skinflint. The rug is nice (or was before it was rolled in.... Sob... ) And I really like the airflow liner I got with it. And I would be tempted to buy another Rambo but my miserly ways won't let me so his other rug is the Amigo. Which is also a nice rug ?

Barlow

Visit site
Glad it fits your horse Barlow. :) Buying a new make or style for the first time is always a bit of a gamble or worry RE the size.
Yes exactly! I’ve always been a Mark Todd rug user up until today...! I had tried amigos and didn’t like how tight they felt in front so had always thought adjustable straps in front were the way to go. Will be interesting to see if I’m still this enthusiastic about the rug at the end of winter...

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Right. I'm doing a thread resurrection.

I'm still provaricating but I have some money to spend now! Since I won't be seeing my family this Christmas my Mum has sent some extra money that they would have been using to travel up here to see me. I'm about to spend it on a rug! I'd make a joke about it being a fair swap but I'd probably get told off for being insensitive or something.

I was very kindly sent a 6ft6 Duo to try but sadly it didn't fit. It was much too small in fact. Handily fot the other horse though. ❤

I know you are supposed to size down for an Optimo but the Duo looked to be more than one size too small, suspect a 6ft9 Duo would still be slightly too small. I'm guessing though.

She measures as a 6ft9 but every 6ft9 rug she has just seems a bit on the small side. Like her shoulders and bum take up room but don't get captured by the measuring tape.

The Swish rug has not been a success. I liked it at first but it's not long enough on the butt and the Caithness wind had it hanging on by the tail strap today. And it isn't deep enough now matter how hard I try to pretend.

My gut feel is to NOT size down for the Optimo and just go for the 6ft9 and that the "extra" size in them just makes it an appropriately sized rug for The Beast. She is incredibly chonky even when slim.

The Horseware website instruct to size down for ALL their rugs. Given that, I'm even more convinced the 6ft9 is the way to go. But the 'size down' advice is still niggling at me.

Apologies for more crazy overthinking posting.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I just keep coming back to "but what if 6ft9 is already sizing down because a 6ft9 Duo would probably be too small despite what she measures". Does that make sense? It's hard to describe how big she is because all her measurements seem normal. And then you put a Ruggles Heavy Horse rug on her and it barely covers her. Yet there's pictures of actual heavy horses in them and they drown them.

atropa

Visit site
I just keep coming back to "but what if 6ft9 is already sizing down because a 6ft9 Duo would probably be too small despite what she measures". Does that make sense? It's hard to describe how big she is because all her measurements seem normal. And then you put a Ruggles Heavy Horse rug on her and it barely covers her. Yet there's pictures of actual heavy horses in them and they drown them.

I know what you mean, hard to justify sizing down then you've sized down and it doesn't fit her. Could you buy 6'9 and 6'6 and return the worse fit?

ETA my WB is 6'6 in rugs, she is quite chunky through the neck and shoulders but generally I don't have an issue getting rugs to fit her. I bought her a 6'6 Ruggles and it only just fit with all straps on loosest settings. I was genuinely shocked as so many other people rave about the brand.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Mine is 6ft6 in Amigo / Horseware/ Rambo fly rugs / Rambo standard rug liners / other rug makes.

His Optimo is 6ft3 and on the generous size.

unless you really think your horse is a generous 7ft, I’d size down to 6ft6.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
A 6ft9 Amigo made her look like an overstuffed sausage... the 6ft6 Duo was a real squeeze to do up at the front and looked like a mini skirt. Yet on the other horse (also a "chunky" cob) who is a nice 6ft6 in Shires rugs it was very generous.

I feel like she measures a 6ft9 but is actually a 7ft for fit in a standard Horseware rug?

I can always send it back I suppose. It's just a hassle.

chaps89

Visit site
I am the world's most indecisive shopper.
So I have a credit card solely for the purpose of ordering clothes (horse or human) so I can order multiple sizes, then keep and pay off what fits and return the rest for a refund.
You usually go over any limits for free shipping that way, and if you pay by PayPal you can get up to 12 returns a year covered through PayPal if you've signed up to their returns service. So you don't end up out of pocket on shipping either.
Not really sure of the point of this post, sorry, other than I feel your pain!

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
My WB is in 6’9” duo and it looks like a skirt on him depth wise but fits in length ..... just.... but he is 6’6” in an optimo and it is massive in all directions on him! Definitely a size down for optimo even if duo looked slightly small you’ll still have plenty room in an optimo. Is there anyone nearby you can borrow an optimo from to try the size?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve got two original Rambos a medium (200g) and heavy (300- 350g) for my veteran that are 15 years old and still have never leaked. More recently bought a Duo. I’d size up if anything on those. I bought a 6ft 6in Duo last year for my younger horse that measures 6ft 6 exactly. It fits pretty well but I think the size up would be better especially if/ when I add the liners. It’s not been cold enough here to warrant more than the 100g outer so far.

I sized up to 6ft 9 in on his Amigo Bravo 0g and that fits well and doesn’t expose his bum when his head is down grazing. He’s quite broad chested.

Squeak

Visit site
I'd say go for the 6'9. My 6'6 horse is in a 6'6 optimo. It is definitely roomy on him but it still doesn't move and I can put as many liners etc under there as I want without worrying about it looking like a mini skirt or not covering them.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've seen an Optimo on a horse in real life and it looked great. They are unusual though.
I bought an Optimo for a horse that had duo’s. I got the same size and had to sell it on. It was absolutely massive round his shoulders and so pulled back on his wither. The duo fitted him perfectly.

edited to say great rugs but I’d say not for smaller shouldered or narrow horses

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Thats a shame Barlow.... have you any pictures of your horse in a Mark Todd vs your horse in the Optimo? I have a Mark Todd rug so could compare.

Micropony

Visit site
My WB has chunked up this year and I have had to almost completely replace his wardrobe. For the last 5 years he was 6'3" and the only one of his old rugs that still pretty much fits him is a Rambo normal turnout rug. As part of his wardrobe revamp I have recently invested in an Optimo turnout and bought a 6'6" which fits. It's deep, but the right length and fits nicely around his shoulders and chest. He's not one of those very fine leggy warmbloods, but he's definitely not as chunky as my friend's Welsh D or one of the heavier built Iberians for example, if that gives you an idea. He did have a 6'3" optimo stable sheet that he was just about squeezing into but was definitely tighter than ideal, so I felt pretty confident ordering a 6'6" turnout, and I'm glad I did. It's lovely!

So I would say if you have other 6'9"s that are a snug fit, then go for a 6'9" Optimo. We do have one horse on the yard that's borderline 6'9"/7' in Shires, Weatherbeeta etc. and there's no way my horse's Optimo would go anywhere near fitting him, and he's a very slim TB. He does have a 6'9" optimo stable sheet which fits him beautifully.

You are getting conflicting advice on here, so I think you're just going to have to order one and be prepared to exchange if it doesn't fit.

Barlow

Visit site
Thats a shame Barlow.... have you any pictures of your horse in a Mark Todd vs your horse in the Optimo? I have a Mark Todd rug so could compare.
Not sure I have pics and my MT is now on the lorry as a spare, but the Rambo is a lot roomier than the MT. mine has big shoulders and the optimo is perfect. I’ll get a pic of him tomorrow in it and go through my old pics to see if I can find a random one of him in a MT rug :DIf it helps I much prefer the Rambo to the MT.

yhanni

Visit site
My chap has got a 7ft 3 Optimo which was an ebay buy so I didn't get the info about sizing down. He would have been better in a size smaller but he'll have to make do!! His other rugs are 7ft - Amigo & Mio and are way too tight, so I would say definitely size down. He is 17hh & 840kg.

ponios

Visit site
I have five optimos in use. They are worn 24/7 in winter as they stay in them overnight in the stable and I just love them. Never had any leaks. My lads love a good roll and they get up and shake and they rug goes right back to where it should be. Neighbours use PE and I don't know if they have the sizes wrong but none of them seem to fit the range of horses properly and they always seem to be hanging to the side twisted.

I have optimos on tb's, a chonky 18hh+ ISH and narrow WB and none of them have rubs or problems with the fit. While it looks a little deep on the smaller tb it doesnt cause a problem.