Wanted In desperate need of a field for horse and pony near me

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
I have been given until the 27th to find somewhere for my horse and pony. I have tried asking in numerious places around Brinsley, Giltbrook, Newthorpe, Kimberely, Cossal, Lanely Mill, etc all saying no space available. I've also tried looking on Preloved, Gumtree, Freeads etc. I don't use Facebook for personal reasons. Ideally I need to be within 5 miles of Eastwood and near to public transport as I cannot drive. Due to this I would also need running water nearby or self-filling troughs. I am looking for 2-4 acres if possible. Field shelter would be also ideal as I own a lightweight horse so he may need it. I would prefer sole use as I no longer wish to share if possible. I look forward to your response. Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Local tack shops, riding clubs? Otherwise unfortunately facebook is the best place to look other than those you've already tried. Can you create an account just to look and then delete once you've found somewhere? Or a fake name?

Baywonder

Visit site
Have you had a look on Nottinghamshire Horse? It has livery yards listed on there. They also have listings for other areas too.

I hope you manage to find somewhere.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Have you had a look on Nottinghamshire Horse? It has livery yards listed on there. They also have listings for other areas too.

I hope you manage to find somewhere.

Yeah I have. Thanks for trying and your kind words.

Have you tried your farrier? They are usually the eyes and ears of the horse world. I hope you find somewhere.

Never thought of that as I wouldn't have thought they'd know who to ask. However, pretty sure they'd know plenty of places in the area so infact that's a good suggestion. Thanks for that and thank you for the kind words.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Ok this is strange.. tried loading the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire horse sites on my PC and they show a list but on my tablet earlier they showed no results, go figure.. Will try contacting tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Good morning everyone. Was wondering whether anyone knew about laws regarding removal of horses from a field without consent of the owner? I could have sworn there were an article somewhere I read where the landlord, or lady, would need permission from court in order to do so even if the horse owner doesn't have a tenancy agreement in place? I'm hoping such a loop-hole exists as the main tenant, the one I've had an issue with, is rather abrupt about me leaving so I wish to know where I stand when it comes to legal rights. Needless to say I haven't got much time left either.. I tried contacting a soliciter yesterday and they said there was nothing they could do to help :-/

Baywonder

Visit site
I am no legal expert at all I'm afraid. You might get more help and advice if you post this in The Tack Room.

Also, have you tried doing a Google search using 'Is removing horses from a field by a landowner UK legal' - that may throw up some answers for you. Likewise, try a search on this forum, such as 'removal of horses'

The BHS or your insurers legal department may try to help you too.

I do recall reading about serving an 'abandonment notice' before this can be done - but that related to horses that had been left by their owners.

Sorry I can't help any more than that @CrimsonDivine :(

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
I am no legal expert at all I'm afraid. You might get more help and advice if you post this in The Tack Room.

Also, have you tried doing a Google search using 'Is removing horses from a field by a landowner UK legal' - that may throw up some answers for you. Likewise, try a search on this forum, such as 'removal of horses'

The BHS or your insurers legal department may try to help you too.

I do recall reading about serving an 'abandonment notice' before this can be done - but that related to horses that had been left by their owners.

Sorry I can't help any more than that @CrimsonDivine :(

Thanks for your response Baywonder. However I've already tried searching google for results regarding removal of horses on private land and couldn't find that loop-hole I mentioned, inwhich I was certain I had found before.. Only results I can find are referring to illiegal use such as fly-grazing, which I am not doing so it doesn't relate. Infact the landowner is fully aware of my presence and uptil now has been fine with it. I'm not even sure if she's aware of what's been going on lately and would assume she'll soon find out as the main tenant claims to have invited someone to join her in order to replace me by this weekend.

I am no longer a member of the BHS, as I found them to be a waste of time and money if I had to be honest, nor do I have insurence as I prefer to simply save up the money I'd be paying them which if you don't claim you don't benefit from doing so, as some of us do.

I believe you may be right about the notice as I recall seeing one similar to that done by Trent Waters when some breeder was tresspassing on their land. Needless to say he had been taken to court and is still there to this day as RSPCA got involved and asked Trent "Are the horses a problem on your land?" inwhich they replied "no, they're not". So needless to say the judge denied them permission to remove the horses as it was not within their welfare interest. This is what I'm hoping for but I often find that the law is not that justified when it comes ot innocent victims vs someone actually braking the law such as the guy I mentioned. Speaking of RSPCA; I tried contacting them and I get an answer machine stating they are not offering advice over the phone and to look on their website. Needless to say I tried this and didn't find an answer.

Anyway, must dash, need to give the horses their breakfast; crème de la récolte (cream of the crop) aka hay, just tried to make it sound fancy lol.

Baywonder

Visit site
This is such a difficult situation for you. Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of it all, but as you have said the landowner was fine with you being there until recently, have you tried speaking to them directly about your situation to see if some agreement can be reached? Or maybe they know of somewhere you could possibly try?

I'm really sorry I can't help very much. ?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Go to the owner. Explain that you have been asked to leave by X date and are looking for somewhere else. Make it clear that you will leave when you have an alternative but are struggling to find one so quickly. Hopefully they will act as an intermediary and give you permission to stay until a new livery is found and let the main tenant know this is what is happening.

I just can't think of anything else that you can do right now.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

Widgeon

Visit site
Regarding Facebook, I can understand why you might want to steer well clear, but do you have any trusted friends or family members who could post on the local horse groups on your behalf? Maybe even someone on here could help? One other suggestion might be to phone the secretaries of any local riding clubs and ask if they have members in the area, and would they mind asking whether anyone can do emergancy grazing until you can find something permenant.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
If you haven't already, contacting local veterinary practises might be an idea as they may know of emergency grazing or stables. You could also try local equine charities? They may have contacts for emergency and short term relocations.

Hope you get something sorted soon.

@Meowy Catkin's suggestion is one that I'd be looking into too, given the urgency.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
This is such a difficult situation for you. Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of it all, but as you have said the landowner was fine with you being there until recently, have you tried speaking to them directly about your situation to see if some agreement can be reached? Or maybe they know of somewhere you could possibly try?

I'm really sorry I can't help very much. ?
Go to the owner. Explain that you have been asked to leave by X date and are looking for somewhere else. Make it clear that you will leave when you have an alternative but are struggling to find one so quickly. Hopefully they will act as an intermediary and give you permission to stay until a new livery is found and let the main tenant know this is what is happening.

I just can't think of anything else that you can do right now.

Edited for spelling.

I can't contact the owner as I don't have her number and of course the woman I have issues with won't give it to me. I even tried asking next door as they rent land from the same person for their sheep and also live on site but they told me they didn't have her number.. frankly I don't believe them but what can you do? I am hoping she comes down tomorrow to meet our apparent new arrivals but only time will tell I suppose. Not that I want to stir drama on the same day but it's the only oppertunity I'll probably get to speak with the land owner. However, I have been told that she's very confrontational and short tempered, in-which I had even witnessed first hand last year in Summer when she came with her partner to trim down some trees as she thought she had lost her handbag, which happened to be under a blanket in the boot of her car, and she was going absalutely mad. She was screaming and cussing at her husband about the bag and it was like nails on a chalk board, really screachy and high pitch.. all I could think at the time was "I'm glad I'm not him" lol x.x So yeah, needless to say I am a bit worried about her response, especially since it's highly likely that she'll take the tenant's side as they've known each other for at least 20-30 years so... But hey-ho, anything is worth a shot I suppose, just need to be tactful, which unfortunately I'm not very skilled at I suppose, though that is generally down to the fact that I have autism and find it difficult to communite with others without getting too upset myself. Of course I have full intentions of leaving, especially now more than ever due to what's been going on, so I agree with Meowy on making that clear and just hope she'll give me the time I need. Frankly I've been getting really worried and upset over the past couple of weeks as I fear I may have to give them up which needless to say would mean the end of my world as I know it as they are my life, my full time obligation, the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning, I'm sure you all can relate. Infact I'm even frightened of the thought that if I came down one day they'd be gone due to her taking action without my consent and I may never see them again :(

Regarding Facebook, I can understand why you might want to steer well clear, but do you have any trusted friends or family members who could post on the local horse groups on your behalf? Maybe even someone on here could help? One other suggestion might be to phone the secretaries of any local riding clubs and ask if they have members in the area, and would they mind asking whether anyone can do emergancy grazing until you can find something permenant.

My mum and sister have facebook accounts but my mum is staying out of this. She has enough of her own problems as far as she's concerned. I looked into Erewash Riding Club but they don't have any phone contacts, only an email. Needless to say I already emailed them and got no response. I've asked locals would they mind providing accomedation short term and they've all said no, either they can't or simply don't want to :confused:

Again I thank you all for trying to give advice, I really do, infact I even spoke to Citizens Advice who gave an interesting idea which is to post on supermarket boards and maybe even consider putting up posters. Though the latter would be more likely tarnished by local trouble makers. However I was more hoping for offers rather than advice as I feel I have tried extensively even before posting on here so realistically my reach out on here was in hopes for some result rather than further advice. Though some of it was helpful and insightful, some of it I've already tried and needless to say I have attempted what people have suggested and so far gotten no further with it. Not trying to be funny, just feeling really frustrated right now. Wow, doesn't time fly? Time to go feed the horses again!

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Welp, today's the day.. needless to say I'm rather anxious about what the day might bring.. Really don't want to have to say goodbye to my horses, though at this rate it seems I may have no choice :(
Well at least I tried, and will still keep trying as long as I can, that's all I really can do..

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Just been looking at my finances on Money Advice Service and it would seem fact of the matter is I can't even afford the average livery cost at £25 pw per horse. So ideally I need a field which charges me £15 per week per horse, or £30 per week for the field, OR fact of the matter is I can't afford to keep them both unless I get my financial situation sorted... Reason I've had issues with finances in the past year is because I've lost part of my income, which I'm sure most of you can relate. However for me it wasn't because of being furloughed, it's because I lost my DLA and was advised to apply for PIP inwhich I've been refused. Before that I was doing well but in the past year I've only barely managed. According to that site, with my current income, I should be £30 in credit per month but I don't see that happening right now.. However, even if that were true, as I stated I can't afford more than £30 per week for keeping the horses and god forbid if I ever get a big vet bill :confused: So I honestly don't know what to do anymore.. I'm really in a crisis and really don't want to just give up :( Lately I have applied for Health Assessment with Universal Credit inwhich they've deemed me unfit for work but haven't increased my benefits, needless to say I've arranged an appointment to speak with my work coach on Monday... starting to think all this is a bit personal and someone's bound to criticise and tell me I shouldn't have them at this point so not sure why I'm continuing with being so open about this, I guess I'm just that desperate for help. Anyway, really should get going as the horses are waiting for their morning hay and I'm running late...

Almost forgot to mention I currently pay £10 per week per horse and was paying £12.50 per week at the previous place. Yeah.. I know, bargain but then it doesn't come without the grief that people cause.. Speaking of; they won't even have me back, making excuses that they don't want any more horses right now though over 2 months ago they said they'd have me back and nothing has really changed other than their response. Reason I didn't take the offer to go back? Wasn't happy there and could barely afford it. Infact they had increased the price to £15 per week per horse anyway so there's that.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm so sorry about your situation. The whole DLA being replaced with PIP has been a complete travesty and in fact downright cruel to many vulnerable people.

Have you been able to talk to the field owner?
Definitely see if your Mum or Sister will look at that facebook link in post 21 for you.

JoWoollerton

New User
Visit site
Good morning everyone. Was wondering whether anyone knew about laws regarding removal of horses from a field without consent of the owner? I could have sworn there were an article somewhere I read where the landlord, or lady, would need permission from court in order to do so even if the horse owner doesn't have a tenancy agreement in place? I'm hoping such a loop-hole exists as the main tenant, the one I've had an issue with, is rather abrupt about me leaving so I wish to know where I stand when it comes to legal rights. Needless to say I haven't got much time left either.. I tried contacting a soliciter yesterday and they said there was nothing they could do to help :-/

The owner of the land would have to instigate an Abandonment Notice, which involves Bailiffs and will cost them around £300-£400, to get you removed. A notice has to go up and then a set period of time has to lapse before the next stage .... usually around 2 weeks for that part of the process. Because you claim ownership of the horse, and I presume are up to date with rent payments and not done any criminal damage to the property, the ownership of your horse can not be transferred to the owner of the land to be disposed of.

You will be able to argue with the Bailiffs that reasonable time is needed to rehome the animal. That should go in your favour to gain more time to find somewhere else before evection.

Blue Cross, RSPCA, Horse Welfare and all the other charities all have information about Abandonment Notices.

Also, talk to Citizens Advice about the legalities about being evicted from land. I've always found them a great help for pointing me in the direction of finding help and, they are a free service.

Good luck

JoWoollerton

New User
Visit site
Also, if you don't have a written Licence Agreement to graze your horses on the land, that actually put's the land owner on a bit of a sticky wicket too.
Surely you can't issue an abandonment notice if the owner is known, in regular communication, and visiting the horses daily?

Yes, the land owner can. For example; non-payment of rent or to evict for any other reason. The same applies to remove tenants from housing that have not paid rent. But, the Notice is only the start of the proceedings. Depending on the situation, the legalities can drag on for quite a while after that.

It's not that easy to remove a horse from a field, just because the land owner woke up one day and decided to remove tenants.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

The horse's owner can remove the horse without the consent of the landowner, if that is what you meant. If you meant can the landowner remove someone else's horse from their land, when the owner is paying rent, there would have to be either notice given appropriately or an emergency situation and the horse removed to a safer place, with the owner being notified of the horse's whereabouts, asap.

Sorry only just read the whole thread - contact Citizens' Advice asap for advice on appealing the PIP decision. They know exactly how to word your responses to get the best outcome.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Sorry for the late response but it's been a long and stressful day for me. I managed to convince the people that I used to be with to have me back. However, that wasn't before feeling a need to call the police as the woman I share with got very abrupt and aggressive after she read my note asking for more time, stating she'd throw my horses out and dump them down the road somewhere.. Needless to say I had not read this thread by that point as I spent the entire day there waiting and worrying about it.

Blue Cross, RSPCA, Horse Welfare and all the other charities all have information about Abandonment Notices.

Also, talk to Citizens Advice about the legalities about being evicted from land. I've always found them a great help for pointing me in the direction of finding help and, they are a free service.

Good luck

I tried contacting Blue Cross, RSPCA, Citizens Advice and even British Horse Society and none of them was even half as helpful as you. Frankly I wouldn't recommend any of them at this point. Though Citizens Advice did make a good suggestion which was to use supermarket billboards and put up posters.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
That sounds so awful and stressful. :( I'm so glad you have been allowed back to the other place. :)

I hope things are much better for you from now on.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
That sounds so awful and stressful. :( I'm so glad you have been allowed back to the other place. :)

I hope things are much better for you from now on.

Truth to be told? I didn't want to as they've given me grief before, which is why I left. But I was more worried about losing my horses. Besides, this woman has caused me more stress in a single year than these people ever have in 7 years. So that's saying something.

Status
Not open for further replies.