Wanted In desperate need of a field for horse and pony near me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baywonder

Visit site
I am so sorry it was a stressful day for you yesterday - I had a feeling it would not go well for you.

At least you have secured alternative grazing for your beloved horses, albeit not your ideal choice. Now you and your horses are away from that crazy woman, you can keep looking for an alternative (if you want to, that is). At least the pressure will be off and no timescales are involved.

Thank you for updating us on the situation. I think you now deserve a few days to chill out :)

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
I feel so awful and heart broken right now.. The cob, which belongs to the woman who gave me trouble, has been left all alone. She had been calling out for her best friend, my pony, since I took her away around noon and even called to me as I passed by to take some hay down in such a way that she was distraught and emotionally in pain. :( The woman had claimed there were a new horse coming this afternoon but no one ever came. I believe she was lying the whole time and that poor mare is now suffering due to her arrogance and selfishness. Worse part is I feel so bad about it because I had played my part in the situation so I feel partly responsible :(

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I completely understand why you feel bad for the cob - I would too, poor thing. However you and your horses were forced out. It is not your fault.

Baywonder

Visit site
This is really not your fault - but as a caring and responsible horse owner your heart goes out to this poor horse left alone.

If her owner had a shred of decency, whilst you moving may have been unavoidable, she could have orchestrated the whole thing much better to ensure her horse was not left alone.

Poor animal. ? That woman should hang her head in shame.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Turns out that there was a horse coming but they had issues with bringing her down as she apparently bolted back home as the owner tried to walk her. Apparently she is about a couple of miles away. Guess she couldn't handle the journey with all the strange surroundings. Needless to say she hasn't come even today so.. eh, whatever. I know about this as my friend who owns a horse box was asked to fetch her but she said she didn't want to deal with a stranger's horse as she's not covered for it. Oh well, karma has it's ways I suppose.

Baywonder

Visit site
I do hope the owner finds another horse soon as a companion. :(

The situation is what it is. You can do no more, and quite frankly, now you have managed to walk away, I really wouldn't look back. :)

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
I do hope the owner finds another horse soon as a companion. :(

The situation is what it is. You can do no more, and quite frankly, now you have managed to walk away, I really wouldn't look back. :)

Easier said than done since I care so much for horses, hers included. Infact I love them as if they were my own. Needless to say I was severely heart broke when the other had died a few weeks ago and now this has happened? I couldn't feel sorry enough for that poor mare :(

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Argh.. things just get worse and worse.. I text that woman I was sharing with this morning as she had told me she would order me some bales to make up for the ones she owed me from this month, since I had paid for them in advance, and paid for half a round bale of straw, inwhich we barely used as we didn't really need it since the weather has gotten nicer. The round bale straw bale cost £35 and the square hay bales cost £3.50. So, since I paid for 7 x 4 (1 bale a day for mine) and she did not buy any extra last week, and kicked me out before we had finished using the ones this week just gone, I reckon she owes me about a 3rd of the cost for the straw and at least 3 or 4 bales of hay! I told her I'd be just as happy with half a dozen and that would make us square. I also asked about her mare as she is still on her own! She argued with me stating that I had already taken two, which I did since I had already paid for those anyway... and then threatened me not to contact her again and has blocked my number! How rediculous and immature can a person be?! This woman is old enough to be my mum believe it or not?! To make things worse; local farmer, who was selling at £3.50 a bale has told me he has none left and the cloest place who has bales is charging £5! Of course that.s £1.50 increase per bale.
It's bad enough that I'm having to pay £2.50 more per week per horse, so I'm already losing £20 every 4 weeks just simply because I've moved! Frankly I do feel cheated as the other person pays about the same and I feel we could have easily had 4 acres for the same price yet we barely have 3 and she has fencing down the middle as her ponies are laminic prone. Not like she goes the right way about it, she keeps them on short and fresh grass rather than long and old grass! Keep telling her she has it the wrong way around but she refuses to listen. Needless to say her horse ended up stable-ridden (bed-ridden in horse terms lol) because they ended up with laminitis the other year after someone had hired the field for camping and had cut the grass! And no they did not remove the grass shavings! :eek: And yes, this is the exact person I have ended up sharing with now o_O
Anyway... I digress.. I can't exactly just stop feeding them hay as you can't just suddenly stop their rations, only wein them off gradually, otherwise it can cause collic and posssibly other underlining illnesses such as gastric ulcers should they not be getting an adiquirt amount. Which I'm sure some of you know.

Last edited:

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Oh and the one I'm with now only feeds her ponies on a flake a day, which needless to say is not 4% of their bodyweight! There's not even enough grass for them and they're standing around watching my horses on the other side of the fence as they're hungry, poor things :( Infact one of them tried to brake through the fencing this morning and I had to chase him away. I felt bad about that but obviously I don't want them wrecking the fence. I'd feed them but I already know this will simply gain more arguments and falling out.. Why people are like this with horses is really beyond me.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
if they are laminitic then it's maybe to keep their weight down particularly going into spring. horses don't need 4% of their bodyweight but 2% if they are ideal weight. I think it would be best if you just see to your own horses and don't worry about what the other people are doing with theirs.

having such low margins for keeping them means you don't have a lot of choice really. i think most people posting on here would have been told they ought to have more funds available for contingencies to be honest. I am glad you have found somewhere new for your horses and hope you can now relax and enjoy them.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
This is a god damn nightmare.. Spent all afternoon calling around for hay and only one place has convectional bales inwhich they won't deliver less than 30. Not only do I not need 30 but I can't afford it either. Needless to say I can't just pick up half a dozen to a dozen because I can't drive due to my disability. So annoyed because the local farmer didn't let me know he had ran out until I requested some yesterday evening and he didn't even reply me until this morning! :mad:

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
The farmer isn’t going to go round ringing all his customers to let them know he is running low on hay so I don’t think you can reasonably be annoyed at him. And a min order is very normal as it’s got to be beneficial to the farmer to take the time and petrol to deliver.

Is there no one at the yard you can buy a few bales off to tide you over for a bit? Then order with them when they next order? How about local feed stores? Our local feed store so hay which is more expensive but no min order required which is handy for last min emergencies.

if it was me I’d just buy the min 30. If you’re getting through one a day that’s a months worth? How often do you normally buy hay?

On a side note could only dream of getting hay for £3.50 a bale ? double it and you’re still not at Surrey prices.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oh and the one I'm with now only feeds her ponies on a flake a day, which needless to say is not 4% of their bodyweight! There's not even enough grass for them and they're standing around watching my horses on the other side of the fence as they're hungry, poor things :( Infact one of them tried to brake through the fencing this morning and I had to chase him away. I felt bad about that but obviously I don't want them wrecking the fence. I'd feed them but I already know this will simply gain more arguments and falling out.. Why people are like this with horses is really beyond me.

At this time of year, with the grass about to go wild any day now, I deliberately under feed my horses to protect them from the spring surge.

2% of ideal bodyweight in dry matter is a maintenance diet. That includes any grass. If there is grass on the field it's quite possible that ponies don't need additional feed in April.

I would be pleased to see a rib or two on a pony at this time of year.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
The farmer isn’t going to go round ringing all his customers to let them know he is running low on hay so I don’t think you can reasonably be annoyed at him. And a min order is very normal as it’s got to be beneficial to the farmer to take the time and petrol to deliver.

Is there no one at the yard you can buy a few bales off to tide you over for a bit? Then order with them when they next order? How about local feed stores? Our local feed store so hay which is more expensive but no min order required which is handy for last min emergencies.

if it was me I’d just buy the min 30. If you’re getting through one a day that’s a months worth? How often do you normally buy hay?

On a side note could only dream of getting hay for £3.50 a bale ? double it and you’re still not at Surrey prices.

I wouldn't expect them to be "ringing all his customers" but they could at least have the courtesy to inform them upon delivering their last bales so they can be prepared for not recieving anymore from him rather than deal with the aftermath of finding out at the last minute. I've said it once and I'll say it again; if it's one thing I can't stand it's a devil's advocate. Also, why on earth would I even want to buy the 30, let alone why should I when I don't need to so it would be wasting money I can't really afford right now?? And how often do I buy hay? once a week. I don't even have anywhere to store that many bales. How much does a horse even need?! about 4% of their bodyweight in forage according to animal welfare, which isn't only hay I might add but I always make sure they get enough, which is aproximately 3-4 flakes each at least per day, infact I put 6 out this morning and they still hadn't eaten it all by the afternoon! so for 2 horses that's half to 2 3rds of a conventional bale per day. Not a whole bale nore should ever need to be. Otherwise you are simply overfeeding unnecessarily . So by my calculation that's certainly not 30. Not to mention they both get feed once or twice a day, the Arab more than the pony as he needs it most. He gets Dengie Alfa-A Molassus Free with A&P Calm & Condition and she gets mollichop apple chaff, at the recommended amount minimal. Why just chaff for the pony? because she doesn't need anything else and it's just to keep her happy while the Arab eats so she leaves him in peace and doesn't feel left out. For the record; yes they do feel that way, despite how some may argue that they're just animals, their minds aren't that simple. So fact is they get more than enough when you think about it in that sence. I have already asked local feed stores and they do not have any either. Really it's just that time of year and all bad timing for me considering what's recently happened ontop of all this. Certainly a problem I could do without.

Sorry for being defensive but I don't find this response entirely helpful nore tactful. As for those who liked that comment? Well there's at least one in that list that I don't even particually like so I'm not even surprised they actually liked that response anyway. Not to mention, kind of stating the obvious, I feel quite agitated as of late so yeah.. not really a tactful response to give in my honest opinion. If it's any consolation I somewhat appreciate your views, but I think we should to agree to disagree here.

Oh crikey. Is there anyone at your new yard who could chip in with you to share the cost?

No, nobody will as I'm only with one person and she already has her hay as do the others who are currently using a large round bale between 4 other horses? of course none of those want to share.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Why should anyone take their time/fuel to deliver <30 bales of hay to someone, that's an unlikely business model unless you are happy to pay a decent amount for delivery - and I assume you can't on that one. If I buy bales individually here they are £6.50 a pop. I accept they are more because I don't want them in bulk.

You should definitely worry less about what others do with their horses and how you are going to afford to keep your own. You write as though your issues with affording your horses are everyone elses fault. Not sure if that's what you are wanting to come across.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
At this time of year, with the grass about to go wild any day now, I deliberately under feed my horses to protect them from the spring surge.

2% of ideal bodyweight in dry matter is a maintenance diet. That includes any grass. If there is grass on the field it's quite possible that ponies don't need additional feed in April.

I would be pleased to see a rib or two on a pony at this time of year.

You don't just suddenly stop feeding hay because you couldn't be bothered to find another source though. You're supposed to wein them off it, not suddenly stop their ration altogether. This I might add is a way of causing gastric ulcers and/or collic. And for the record, the field is pretty poor when it comes to grass, it's like a football pitch, so not really the right time to be counting on the grass intake at this particular moment. Infact most of us around here don't stop feeding hay until May.

Where are you getting 4% from? It's double the accepted figure.

Made a typo but yeah, you're right there. Though some say 2.5% and some may even recommend 3%, depending on the horse and it's individual needs. Some may even generally eat more than others, some most certainly need more than others. Even a nutritionitst would tel you that 2% is just a base line and you can go as far as 3 or even 4% but no real need to go any higher than that.

There are also many articles that state; "Stick to routine". And since it is routine that my horses get fed 3-4 flakes each per day, be it 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon each, that is part of their routine and you should not change that as it can have serious effects on a horse's health as well as their mentality.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Why should anyone take their time/fuel to deliver <30 bales of hay to someone, that's an unlikely business model unless you are happy to pay a decent amount for delivery - and I assume you can't on that one. If I buy bales individually here they are £6.50 a pop. I accept they are more because I don't want them in bulk.

You should definitely worry less about what others do with their horses and how you are going to afford to keep your own. You write as though your issues with affording your horses are everyone elses fault. Not sure if that's what you are wanting to come across.

Well it is since they wish to give ill advice on how to waste my money which is not very smart nor productive for any horse owner. Pretty sure we have alot more things to concern our money over, even our own wellbeing as well as theirs. Just because I'm smart enough to budget, since yes my income is limited, as I previously mentioned, doesn't mean I can't afford horses and frankly that's none of your business nor should you make such a statement regarding that. That's rather rude.

Is the bolding necessary it's really distracting to read.

Yes it's called emphasising.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I didn't say you couldn't afford horses, you are inventing that statement.

But the trouble is that any PIP appeal is a long process, even more if it goes to tribunal so that's not going to help your current situation.

I hope you manage to find some solutions.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think you may struggle to find someone willing to sell a small number of bales to be delivered weekly, especially at that price. Locally I even have to pay £5 delivered for straw! Hay would be more. The lowest number is 10 for straw or 20 for hay (different suppliers). It just wouldn't be worth the farmer's time/diesel to deliver less.

You may need to get some storage, or switch to wrapped haylage, which could be kept outside. Obviously the switch would need to be done slowly.

My horse has just been lowered to 1 1/2 % of bodyweight in hay. Spring grass is coming through and I (and the vet) want to see ribs to (hopefully) lower the chance of lami. Any more than 2% and he piles weight on. I can't accurately predict how much grass he is consuming, so we have to err on the side of safety, for his welfare. The 1 1/2% is a standard weight loss figure, and has worked for him.

You seem very cross. I am sorry that your horse owning experiencing is bringing anger.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
I think you may struggle to find someone willing to sell a small number of bales to be delivered weekly, especially at that price. Locally I even have to pay £5 delivered for straw! Hay would be more. The lowest number is 10 for straw or 20 for hay (different suppliers). It just wouldn't be worth the farmer's time/diesel to deliver less.

You may need to get some storage, or switch to wrapped haylage, which could be kept outside. Obviously the switch would need to be done slowly.

My horse has just been lowered to 1 1/2 % of bodyweight in hay. Spring grass is coming through and I (and the vet) want to see ribs to (hopefully) lower the chance of lami. Any more than 2% and he piles weight on. I can't accurately predict how much grass he is consuming, so we have to err on the side of safety, for his welfare. The 1 1/2% is a standard weight loss figure, and has worked for him.

You seem very cross. I am sorry that your horse owning experiencing is bringing anger.

Yeah, I get it, I really do, but it can't be helped. It's not my fault that I only need to supply for 2 horses and the local farmer neglected to tell me in advance about his shortage. I've got enough on me as it is at the end of the day and as I said I can't just suddenly stop feeding them hay like that, it's not ideal. Sure I was going wein them off it this month, as most of us will be, but it's too soon and I certainly don't plan on giving them nothing at all. Also, I can't exactly switch from hay to haylage when there's nothing to switch from let alone swtich to and not to mention some horses can't have haylage for personal reasons and I certainly don't want my pony eating it as she'll bloat and inflate like a balloon so no thanks. Also, the woman I share with, which I'm sure I already mentioned, has laminic prone ponies, so of course she needs to watch their weight and since they will be mixed together pretty soon, probably by the end of the week, it wouldn't be a good idea to suddenly start getting haylage. Again I do appreciate the view point but it's not very ideal in most cases. Not to mention I wouldn't want to bother with it since they'll be coming off it soon. Not worth transitioning to in such a short amount of time using it. Not to mention I'd probably have to extend the time to do it correctly.
It's not the horse owning, it's the people involved that make me angry, even on here it would seem. Though the irony is people often say to me "it's like that no matter where you go in the horse world" yet you all seem to forget one thing; it's because of yourselves that it's like that, it's your choice to change that. It's pretty sad really if you ask me. I try my best to be a decent guy, I really do, but others do not try and that's what makes me frustrated and angry. Maybe I should just stop trying and just not bother with people altogether.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Made a typo but yeah, you're right there. Though some say 2.5% and some may even recommend 3%, depending on the horse and it's individual needs. Some may even generally eat more than others, some most certainly need more than others. Even a nutritionitst would tel you that 2% is just a base line and you can go as far as 3 or even 4% but no real need to go any higher than that.

Nobody says any more than 2% for a healthy horse not needing to gain weight.

I'm correcting you in case other people read this thread, because there are already too many fat horses around and it's a very dangerous time of year for other people to be overfeeding.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Argh.. things just get worse and worse.. I text that woman I was sharing with this morning as she had told me she would order me some bales to make up for the ones she owed me from this month, since I had paid for them in advance, and paid for half a round bale of straw, inwhich we barely used as we didn't really need it since the weather has gotten nicer. The round bale straw bale cost £35 and the square hay bales cost £3.50. So, since I paid for 7 x 4 (1 bale a day for mine)

That’s where I got 30 bales in a month from, ie 1 bale a day. Either way I don’t see how buying more hay then you need being a waste as you will eventually use it...But if you don’t have the storage then fine, I obviously didn’t know that hence suggesting it.

I don’t see where in my post I have really been anything other than polite and offered suggestions. I don’t know anyone that buys hay weekly, I only have one pallet for storage and I buy hay once every 12 weeks so I wouldn’t expect my farmer to know what his supply will be like in 12 weeks. If he turned round and had run out then I have 2 local feed stores as back up which although twice the price is a price I’m willing to pay because as you say hay it vital.

You asked for advice and as with all your previous threads you got a lot of it and it has all not been good enough.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
That’s where I got 30 bales in a month from, ie 1 bale a day. Either way I don’t see how buying more hay then you need being a waste as you will eventually use it...But if you don’t have the storage then fine, I obviously didn’t know that hence suggesting it.

I don’t see where in my post I have really been anything other than polite and offered suggestions. I don’t know anyone that buys hay weekly, I only have one pallet for storage and I buy hay once every 12 weeks so I wouldn’t expect my farmer to know what his supply will be like in 12 weeks. If he turned round and had run out then I have 2 local feed stores as back up which although twice the price is a price I’m willing to pay because as you say hay it vital.

You asked for advice and as with all your previous threads you got a lot of it and it has all not been good enough.

FYI I've always bought 7 to 14 bales per week from my local farmer. Granted we are simply down the road, barely half a mile away, but frankly I can't see why someone within 5 miles can't deliver a dozen or so, that's just utter BS. It is also a fact that those who are too willing to cough up money than protest and use their common sense knowing, that this is generally wrong, affect the market for the rest of us. Too niave and eager is most certainly a problem for the masses. Also I would love to know how big your pallet is to stock 12 weeks worth of bales on it, must be bloody huge?! And I'll assume you keep that in a barn or something??

True I neglected to say I had no where to store it but not everyone has that luxury and simply stating I can't afford it nor need it should be enough. Details, details. I also aim to cut back, not to buy more. Not to mention since I was more used to paying £3.50 per bale of course I wasn't well prepared for paying more, as I also stated! So for 30 bales it's no longer £105 but £150! I have had to pay £20 extra for this field than I have been paying at previous place ontop of. I am not that well prepared, nor well off financially, to take on such an increase so sudden. Considering the recent year where alot of people have been furloughed I'm pretty certain alot of people can relate to this dillema. Needless to say these factors alone aren't entirely my fault and more someone elses than my own. And yes I have been trying to remedy that but I can't exactly do anything by myself and if people aren't willing to pull their finger out of their backside of course that gets nothing done.

Regardless of how polite you think you are being your responses have been contributing to my frustration as it wasn't very helpful, all things considered. Frankly if you can't be helpful, or as the saying goes "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all" it would actually be better that you didn't respond than give me nonsense and pointless debates which simply matters worse.

jnb

Visit site
I wish I were closer to you @CrimsonDivine as I have spare bales I'd happily let you have to tide you over.
This is all causing you a lot of stress for which I am sorry. Please try not to take people's comments to heart, I think most of them are trying to help although it may not feel like it.
Unfortunately I am at least 60 miles away from you or I'd drop a few bales off for you. Maybe consider increasing chaff (if it's unmolassed) for your horses if you can't get hold of hay, just to tide them over? or Fast fibre?

Status
Not open for further replies.