In-hand showing outfits.....Why so frumpy and 80s??!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I did threaten to wear this for Lead Rein one day ...

Can't see the shoes very well, but I doubt that they're much good for running, or that they'd offer much protection if the horse trod on her foot.

The rest of the outfit is OK, though.

Last edited:

The-Bookworm

Visit site
I drove past someone today who was walking her German Shepherd she was wearing long rubber boots, fawn coloured leggings and a tweed hacking type jacket. Its the fashion these days!
I see a lot of long boots with tweed around here.
Dog walking or pheasant shoots.
I like tweed as it happens. Wow am I "in fashion" without realising.

Merrymoles

Visit site
I’ve also not had a problem keeping buff jods clean around horses since i was a child.

Gosh you've done better than me over the years then. I've been splattered by an extravagant trot, splashed by a lorry on the way into the ring, dribbled on, jumped up at by a dog and sneezed all over! Our local riding club does "rags and nags" dressage which would suit me fine as I could wear my dark breeches! They are also slightly more flattering to my aging arse!

buddylove

Visit site
I have the matching leaders tweed for doing lead rein, along with the floppy velvet hat and navy skirt. Plan is to ditch that! Jacket will be worn without awful frilly shirt underneath (it is the shorter, military style jacket so looks fine without anything around your neck). Floppy hat will be replaced with a fedora, smart navy jeans and long Spanish style boots. Friends my age wear the full get up and it looks awful. We really should take a lead from the eventers trot up!

Visit site
I have the matching leaders tweed for doing lead rein, along with the floppy velvet hat and navy skirt. Plan is to ditch that! Jacket will be worn without awful frilly shirt underneath (it is the shorter, military style jacket so looks fine without anything around your neck). Floppy hat will be replaced with a fedora, smart navy jeans and long Spanish style boots. Friends my age wear the full get up and it looks awful. We really should take a lead from the eventers trot up!

They ain't called Granny Suits for nothing you know!

showjumpingharry

Visit site
I love wearing my tweed, beige jods and tie/ stock(for eventing) as much, if not more than my navy bum freezer jacket and American collar, it’s warm, I can get a down gilet under it if it’s freezing and it doesn’t show dirt/slobber. Although I think being a PC member has help with this we all wear tweed 😂 and running around doing that weird bouncy leadrein run in culottes, tweed and a hat is actually quite fun😂😂

Megan V1

Visit site
Start a new trend, you never know by the end of the showing season you could have created a whole new look in the show ring.

Annagain

Visit site
A friend chose a skirt very similar to this (maybe a bit longer but it was still short) with thick navy tights and long boots, a pale blue smart shirt (no tie) and a navy Joules tweed jacket to show her pony last year. I thought she looked really nice, modern and comfortable but with a nod to tradition. https://www.cho.co.uk/womens-c32/skirts-c372/joules-carole-tweed-womens-mini-skirt-x-p12663 . I'm trying to picture her hat but can't - which is probably a good thing! It certainly didn't draw attention anyway! They did pretty well so judges can't have been too concerned at the lack of a scrunchie.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
This came up on my timeline, I'm wondering when the wedding starts ;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mule

Visit site
I think riding comp clothes in general are quite strange. They really aren't designed for exercising. At least the technical fabrics aren't as hot as the traditional gear. I'm the sort of person who wears t shirts when everyone else is wearing coats so wools and cottons are not good in my book.

ester

Visit site
well they were to stop jods riding up, pre-lycra days I think. I think they don't wear joddy clips like our kids?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I don't understand the way that the ponies in that video are plaited up either. I suppose it is because I'm used to the UK way where you look at the horse's neck conformation and alter the plaits to flatter the horse. Where as this seems to be 'have as many plaits as possible, tight to the crest' even if your horse has a skinny, ewe neck. Not sure that the blob in the tail plait is elegant either. ;)

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
39 seconds in on ester's video there's a kid on a grey with the garter straps plus some other strap across the legs..

ester

Visit site
I don't understand the way that the ponies in that video are plaited up either. I suppose it is because I'm used to the UK way where you look at the horse's neck conformation and alter the plaits to flatter the horse. Where as this seems to be 'have as many plaits as possible, tight to the crest' even if your horse has a skinny, ewe neck. Not sure that the blob in the tail plait is elegant either. ;)

I think it's a 'wheel' not a blob lol.