In the words of Dame Shirley Bassey….

P3LH

Visit site
We don’t do any off lead walking with any of the dogs on this particular walk due to the high density of deer, and the a road which runs near the entrance - even mine with the best recall find it rather too tempting. Although there is a very nice pub at the end of it which makes it worth it, the risks aren’t worth it. They tend to just spring out a few feet away when you least expect it.

P3LH

Visit site
Well the honey moon period is over it seems (which we were prepared for) as the tank has decided to sporadically pick on him or take rough housing too far and see it as a sly excuse to have a pop at him after luring him into false sense of security. Probably heavily influenced by being due in season and a hormonal PITAS.

Meaning he has started to snap at her in certain situations where she’s throwing her weight around, and small war ensues. I felt we would probably get to this point so we were wel prepared, as a result there are lots of words are being had and playfighting is off the menu.

Generally they are best pals, and everyone gets on well. He’s still a bit dense, and house training is still bane of my life.

Last edited:

P3LH

Visit site
They are both very sweet. They’re loving, and faithful and great fun too - hence why we got another, they are like living with furry little comedians or as my OH calls them furry little antidepressants. It is impossible to be sad when you have one as they are such huge characters, and will go out of their way to do things to make you smile.

They are just their breed, and know their own minds - and only a fool would underestimate that.

I do often wonder with their surge in popularity in recent years, how shocked some owners must be. We well researched for several years before getting the first and even we were not shocked but I suppose surprised at just how ‘corgi’ they are from tiny. It doesn’t slip in with age, it’s there from the start. They need strong strong leadership from the start. We underestimated that with madam and gave her puppy grace as I had done with both rough collies, as I didn’t do much witj them until they were a bit older. I’m fully transparent that she is part her genetic make up and natural personality, and she is half half us not being firm and clear enough from the start. Had she been managed in a more rigid way from tiny, I’m sure she would still be a challenge but perhaps less likely to throw her weight around.

Perhaps that’s why number 2 is proving easier than number 1, as we’ve started from day dot and the non negotiables (of which for a corgi, their must be many) were there for him to read before deciding if he wanted the job or not :)

As I often say to people who are surprised as how strong willed they are, and I think I’ve said here before - think Aussie cattle dog but watered down. If they were weak willed, they wouldn’t have lasted very long working with cattle. They also aren’t afraid to challenge no matter how big you are, as although my jeans are a little tighter already this festive season - beef steers are somewhat larger!

Last edited:

P3LH

Visit site
Avoiding all the covid bad news, lowering the portcullis and pulling up the drawer bridge as one bunkers down with Christmas films - ignoring news about cobra meetings and new restrictions.

we must all be more Gus at this time I feel.

Attachments

• 3BDCFD5D-8DA3-46A9-A0E0-C9A719E28DF3.jpeg
    3BDCFD5D-8DA3-46A9-A0E0-C9A719E28DF3.jpeg
    954 KB · Views: 31

P3LH

Visit site
The tank has always been a terrible resource guarder of her bowl, ever since she came to us as a puppy. She was what I’d class as a liability with it at one point.

In turn, due to how she is with food - the apprentice had begun to be quite resource guarding minded of food from other animals - perfectly fine with people, but not the others.

We’ve never stopped working with madam - so I was very pleased that over the last week or so we’ve gotten to this point (ignoring the flooring!)

Attachments

• 0E9A9E34-8B81-4941-B763-7359F4E035C0.jpeg
    0E9A9E34-8B81-4941-B763-7359F4E035C0.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 46

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The tank has always been a terrible resource guarder of her bowl, ever since she came to us as a puppy. She was what I’d class as a liability with it at one point.

In turn, due to how she is with food - the apprentice had begun to be quite resource guarding minded of food from other animals - perfectly fine with people, but not the others.

We’ve never stopped working with madam - so I was very pleased that over the last week or so we’ve gotten to this point (ignoring the flooring!)

Nothing wrong with the flooring that I can see. That looks like real progress on the food front.

P3LH

Visit site
Not much between them these days in size. Also looking more similar in type - he will be lighter and not as low at the front I think.

Our dear old rough collie boy looked outside as we packed the car and headed back to his bed and under the duvet - he has more sense.

People who meet him are surprised when I say his age in terms of how well mannered he is. I am fond of pointing out its what happens when you tell a puppy no from time to time.

He is marvellously dog neutral and doesn’t bat an eyelid when having several every walk charge up and get in his face.

Attachments

• F05BED65-DD8B-41CF-8415-AC06E31A5C09.jpeg
    F05BED65-DD8B-41CF-8415-AC06E31A5C09.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 20
  • A884D3DF-6686-4B29-A39C-B26A3C2BFC5D.jpeg
    A884D3DF-6686-4B29-A39C-B26A3C2BFC5D.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 20

P3LH

Visit site
It is funny aa I think I notice it more in chunks due to my job, as another term is about to begin I see how much he has changed again in a very short window. I tend to find myself guilty as many of us are, as sometimes it feels more like going through the motions of normal life when back in work mode for the term. Then a break comes again and you sit back and take stock. He will be an adolescent next time I blink I’m sure.

Mild mannered and dozy, but a wonderful soul indeed. Once we fully crack house training I will be happier though, but I can’t complain as he really is great fun to live with. He balances madam out perfectly and makes her a much more content and settled soul too.

Attachments

• B3390DC7-61D1-46D1-A202-2376108014BB.jpeg
    B3390DC7-61D1-46D1-A202-2376108014BB.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 29

Parrotperson

Visit site
Had to take Rocky to the vet today as he has vomiting and diarrhoea poor little man

anyway the nurses were all very distracted. One said come and take a look at these.
And behind the desk were 3 beautiful corgi pups. The last of a litter of 8.

oh boy was I tempted. But I think my husband would divorce me!!

P3LH

Visit site
More dog than puppy now.

Does have some degree of recall but is easily distracted by queen of darkness and her mischief so I leave leads on as something to step on (needed).

Does not have same contempt for humanity as corgi number 1 as well documented and quite notable here.

Attachments

• 0C79F264-7A40-4C5F-B043-D9817A915C89.jpeg
    0C79F264-7A40-4C5F-B043-D9817A915C89.jpeg
    637.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: