Intensive dressage training

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I seem to have lost my dressage mojo and would like to regain it so am thinking am intensive course might be the way forward. Where do you recommend? Based near Shrewsbury and will travel up to maybe 1.5 - 2 hrs if I'm staying away.

I'd really like to be able to takes own horse and have some school master lessons too. I have some niggles with my position that I can't resolve and currently having a bit of a confidence crisis with my flatwork. Hoping that some intensive lessons for me and horse might inspire me. I'm only your fairly average rider, competing be90 level. Would like to to go somewhere with decent schoolmasters though as local RSVP here only have kick alongs!

So where do you suggest for a few days away so i can work on me plus have some fresh eyes see me with my own horse too? It is faults in my position I need to sort and am happy to be torn to pieces! Thanks :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I've had Dovecote Stables near Birmingham very highly recommended, awesome schoolmasters and they really pick your position apart! Haven't been myself but could really see the difference in my friend when she'd been.

http://www.dovecote-stables.co.uk/

I've had these recommended by a couple of people so am very tempted, especially as I really do need my position to be picked apart!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Do they have schoolmasters I could have lessons on, as well as taking my own? I've seen a few people on here post about AM dressage; all looks a long way above my level!

Yep, their schoolmaster is brilliant fun and you'll learn loads. They cater for all levels, I did a 3 day clinic in feb and it had everyone from rebacking a youngster to training piaffe. Great team and really approachable

eta if you dig through my latest started threads you'll find my report from the clinic with videos of the lessons with all 3 trainers.Might help decide :)

Last edited:

HannaST

Visit site
I've had these recommended by a couple of people so am very tempted, especially as I really do need my position to be picked apart!

Yes she almost convinced me to travel all the way from Lancaster on a student budget, just for a lesson!! It sounded amazing and she's also at an amateur type level - not talking piaffe training ;) I think she tried her first ever flying change there so that gives you an idea. Every level can use some position work!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Yes she almost convinced me to travel all the way from Lancaster on a student budget, just for a lesson!! It sounded amazing and she's also at an amateur type level - not talking piaffe training ;) I think she tried her first ever flying change there so that gives you an idea. Every level can use some position work!

Sounds good. With the way I'm feeling at the mo (am on a real downer WRT dressage!), I'd be happy working on just my sitting trot for the entire time and keeping my errant right side in line!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Yep, their schoolmaster is brilliant fun and you'll learn loads. They cater for all levels, I did a 3 day clinic in feb and it had everyone from rebacking a youngster to training piaffe. Great team and really approachable

eta if you dig through my latest started threads you'll find my report from the clinic with videos of the lessons with all 3 trainers.Might help decide :)

Yes, thanks, I have read your posts in the past about their clinics (not in a creepy stalker way LOL!!) and thought they looked great, but also that it all looked super professional and way above my level! I don't want to go there and work on anything spectacular - I just need to work on my seat, my hands and my consistency, to improve my horse's consistency. I have a lovely little horse who goes beautifully for my instructor but I just can't get that, or at least I only get flashes of it, so currently feel I need to make some major improvements to me so I get the best out of him. Also need to work on the very basic "submission" issue with him. Give him a set of SJs or some big XC fences and he's awesome, but I think we both need some DR inspiration!

_GG_

Visit site
Do they have schoolmasters I could have lessons on, as well as taking my own? I've seen a few people on here post about AM dressage; all looks a long way above my level!

If you decide to go to AM dressage, which I highly recommend from what I have heard about it, you would be more than welcome to stay with me and Dan for however long your course. It will save you paying for accommodation and I am a very easy 8 minute drive away from there as it's just along the A48 from me. Only conditions are you have to be ok with 4 well behaved dogs and wildlife, as you are likely to encounter lots of toads, newts, voles, mice, squirrels and badgers here...oh and the barn owl :)

I mean it, our door is always open :)

_GG_

Visit site
Yes, thanks, I have read your posts in the past about their clinics (not in a creepy stalker way LOL!!) and thought they looked great, but also that it all looked super professional and way above my level! I don't want to go there and work on anything spectacular - I just need to work on my seat, my hands and my consistency, to improve my horse's consistency. I have a lovely little horse who goes beautifully for my instructor but I just can't get that, or at least I only get flashes of it, so currently feel I need to make some major improvements to me so I get the best out of him. Also need to work on the very basic "submission" issue with him. Give him a set of SJs or some big XC fences and he's awesome, but I think we both need some DR inspiration!

Your problem is you are riding "your" horse. I bet you can get the same tune out of other horses that your instructor can get out of yours. Am I right? If so...you just need to stop riding "your" horse and start riding "a" horse.

Anyway, having such a professional setting and atmosphere can only be a good thing. From what you say you want, I would say they are perfect! They are also right next to the Forest of Dean, so we could go for a hack if you wanted as well :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
If you decide to go to AM dressage, which I highly recommend from what I have heard about it, you would be more than welcome to stay with me and Dan for however long your course. It will save you paying for accommodation and I am a very easy 8 minute drive away from there as it's just along the A48 from me. Only conditions are you have to be ok with 4 well behaved dogs and wildlife, as you are likely to encounter lots of toads, newts, voles, mice, squirrels and badgers here...oh and the barn owl :)

I mean it, our door is always open :)

GG that's so kind of you! I might have a horsey friend with me who is also thinking of taking her horse, so could you squeeze in an extra one if we do head down that way...? Dogs are all good, as is wildlife! :)

_GG_

Visit site
GG that's so kind of you! I might have a horsey friend with me who is also thinking of taking her horse, so could you squeeze in an extra one if we do head down that way...? Dogs are all good, as is wildlife! :)

Yep...you can either share a double bed or one in a bed and one on the futon in the same room :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Your problem is you are riding "your" horse. I bet you can get the same tune out of other horses that your instructor can get out of yours. Am I right? If so...you just need to stop riding "your" horse and start riding "a" horse.

That could possibly be right, yes, I hadn't thought about it in that way. ATM the biggest issue is that I am fixated on sorting out my wobbly RHS and struggling to see beyond that! V frustrating as when jumping I can easily look for the positives, and see anything less good as just something to work on. Same with DR away from home, I find it much easier to look at things positively. For some reason at home I have developed a real mental block. Am going to start schooling in the one of our fields now the hay is in as just the change of scenery might help.

Anyway, having such a professional setting and atmosphere can only be a good thing. From what you say you want, I would say they are perfect! They are also right next to the Forest of Dean, so we could go for a hack if you wanted as well :)

Sounds lovely to me! :)

_GG_

Visit site
That could possibly be right, yes, I hadn't thought about it in that way. ATM the biggest issue is that I am fixated on sorting out my wobbly RHS and struggling to see beyond that! V frustrating as when jumping I can easily look for the positives, and see anything less good as just something to work on. Same with DR away from home, I find it much easier to look at things positively. For some reason at home I have developed a real mental block. Am going to start schooling in the one of our fields now the hay is in as just the change of scenery might help.

Sounds lovely to me! :)

Define wobbly RHS...what's the actual issue....break it down :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Define wobbly RHS...what's the actual issue....break it down :)

OK.. bit of background... I have an issue with my hip on the right hand side. Caused quite bad back problems over Xmas, saw a physio on orders of my GP who said I have very tight hip flexors on the RHS causing lower back pain. Also bad posture, tipping my pelvis forward (so think of sticking your bum out behind you), some soreness around the RHS of my SI joint which needed a lot of manipulation. I do a lot of driving with work and I think it's a combination of that (leaning over to one side in the car for hours on end, day in day out), a nasty jumping accident years ago, and having one leg shorter than the other. I'm generally wonky! I had 4 or 5 physio sessions over a couple of months plus masses of stretches and exercises to do, to release the ache in my back and improve flexibility in my hips, releasing tightness in my hip flexors. It is a lot better and because I am straighter, my core strength is improving and my ridden posture is better. I do a fair amount of exercise away from the horse - I cycle (not just a quick cycle to work or ambling around - I do quite intensive training with road bike on the turbo trainer, along with decent cycles on the road), do yoga, do a bit of swimming...

So, there is an issue with the RHS that is never quite going to go away, much like some horses will always be stronger and more supple to one side than the other. Yoga helps with that because it enables me to be more aware of my body, the stiffnesses, which side is shorter etc. On the horse, my right hip doesn't want to open so I struggle to get my leg on properly and it tends to brace forwards. My right hand is v dominant, because I tend to use that to turn instead of putting right leg on (because I can't do that properly or effectively enough) to bend around and using outside aids. I also put too much weight into my left seatbone then tip to the right to compensate which makes the bracing with right leg worse. Because of the right leg issue, when I do use it it's more like a blunt instrument so I get a kick instead of a squeeze. Horse is v bouncy and springy which doesn't help, and can be quite hot so of course if he gets kicked, he thinks he's got to shoot off forwards then thinks he's being told off!

Now I do realise I've probably made out like I can't ride at all which isn't true - I feel like I am insecure and banging around, also not true since I have video evidence of my test last weekend and in every test I've done, the judge always comments how quietly and sympathetically ridden it was. But I still don't feel great and am definitely not even. It has started to get worse again recently - instructor thinks I need another visit to the physio so am going to see if that helps.

Well.. you did ask me to break it down GG! ;)

_GG_

Visit site
OK.. bit of background... I have an issue with my hip on the right hand side. Caused quite bad back problems over Xmas, saw a physio on orders of my GP who said I have very tight hip flexors on the RHS causing lower back pain. Also bad posture, tipping my pelvis forward (so think of sticking your bum out behind you), some soreness around the RHS of my SI joint which needed a lot of manipulation. I do a lot of driving with work and I think it's a combination of that (leaning over to one side in the car for hours on end, day in day out), a nasty jumping accident years ago, and having one leg shorter than the other. I'm generally wonky! I had 4 or 5 physio sessions over a couple of months plus masses of stretches and exercises to do, to release the ache in my back and improve flexibility in my hips, releasing tightness in my hip flexors. It is a lot better and because I am straighter, my core strength is improving and my ridden posture is better. I do a fair amount of exercise away from the horse - I cycle (not just a quick cycle to work or ambling around - I do quite intensive training with road bike on the turbo trainer, along with decent cycles on the road), do yoga, do a bit of swimming...

So, there is an issue with the RHS that is never quite going to go away, much like some horses will always be stronger and more supple to one side than the other. Yoga helps with that because it enables me to be more aware of my body, the stiffnesses, which side is shorter etc. On the horse, my right hip doesn't want to open so I struggle to get my leg on properly and it tends to brace forwards. My right hand is v dominant, because I tend to use that to turn instead of putting right leg on (because I can't do that properly or effectively enough) to bend around and using outside aids. I also put too much weight into my left seatbone then tip to the right to compensate which makes the bracing with right leg worse. Because of the right leg issue, when I do use it it's more like a blunt instrument so I get a kick instead of a squeeze. Horse is v bouncy and springy which doesn't help, and can be quite hot so of course if he gets kicked, he thinks he's got to shoot off forwards then thinks he's being told off!

Now I do realise I've probably made out like I can't ride at all which isn't true - I feel like I am insecure and banging around, also not true since I have video evidence of my test last weekend and in every test I've done, the judge always comments how quietly and sympathetically ridden it was. But I still don't feel great and am definitely not even. It has started to get worse again recently - instructor thinks I need another visit to the physio so am going to see if that helps.

Well.. you did ask me to break it down GG! ;)

Yes I did. For a very good reason.

I agree with going back to see your physio again, but talk to him/her about how it affects you in the saddle and how you can strengthen and support yourself in the saddle.

It might me worth taking the focus off your RHS for a bit and looking at what is going on on the LHS. Basically, where something has been "out" for so long, we have to compensate for it and long term, that usually means over compensating, so you could be using your LHS in a way that does all of the supporting and actually prevents your RHS from improving the way it should. Also, it important to understand what your limitations are. Know what will be the best you can expect and work towards that, rather than hoping for more. When you set yourself a realistic end result, you can then plan for an effective way to work around it.

Tipping forward is something that can be quite hard to correct if you can't ride with mirrors. For you, it's not an incorrect position making you tip the pelvis forward, it is a physical limitation, so try thinking outside the box. Try wearing a bum bag placed so that the bag is between your pubic bone and the saddle. It won't get in the way when you're sitting correctly, but will let you know the moment you tip your pelvis forward.

It's a complex issue that you're dealing with, so I think very experienced eyes, like that at AM dressage or any other highly professional yard can help you with effectively. Basically, through exploring how you can improve and what your specific limitations are, they can explore with you alternative methods of getting what you want from the horse without compromising yourself.

I hope that makes sense. It's very easy to know you can ride well and be complacent with that, so my hat's off to you for wanting to improve the finer points :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Thanks, that's really helpful. It doesn't help that the horse's weaker and less supple side is also his RHS, so it can be a bit of a vicious circle. My issue is mainly in trot - walk is OK because obviously it is slow enough for me to control the various bits of my body. Canter work is also OK - he has a lovely canter that is easy to sit to and my body works quite well in that pace. It's just the trot work. I don't use my legs properly and end up using far too much hand.

I just feel ATM that we've reached a plateau and I am struggling to get beyond this point now. I know it takes time to become established at any level and for things to become second nature, but feel maybe I need to be looking at things in a different way to get the best from my horse. He has the paces and in general judges love him but it's me letting the side down now!

_GG_

Visit site
Thanks, that's really helpful. It doesn't help that the horse's weaker and less supple side is also his RHS, so it can be a bit of a vicious circle. My issue is mainly in trot - walk is OK because obviously it is slow enough for me to control the various bits of my body. Canter work is also OK - he has a lovely canter that is easy to sit to and my body works quite well in that pace. It's just the trot work. I don't use my legs properly and end up using far too much hand.

I just feel ATM that we've reached a plateau and I am struggling to get beyond this point now. I know it takes time to become established at any level and for things to become second nature, but feel maybe I need to be looking at things in a different way to get the best from my horse. He has the paces and in general judges love him but it's me letting the side down now!

Over relying on the hand can be quickly sorted by learning how to effectively use your core. When you go for training, ask about using the opposite diagonal rise to help you both. Also, remember the footfall of the trot, it is the one gait that enhances any issues. How many times have you seen a horse sound in walk and canter, but lame in trot? It is the pace that will show up any one sided weakness the most.

HannaST

Visit site

Was your physio a sports therapist? I've been to see one recently and they seem to understand a bit better how things work in sports (especially if you can get one that specialises in riding) than the "normal" physios.

I've had huge success with my instructors who have been teaching "Ride With Your Mind"-style riding, from Mary Wanless. They have been super at pinpointing exactly what's wrong with my position, why it's wrong, what exactly I can do to improve it - instead of "lean back", they will come and poke the incorrect part of my hip until it's in the right position, give me images to work from, etc. It's been a real mind-opener. Almost like a physio/instructor!! Extremely useful.
So if you have one of these in your area, I'd definitely recommend it. I think there's a directory on Mary Wanless' website. Helen Wain is my favourite but I'm not sure whether she travels to you or not.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Over relying on the hand can be quickly sorted by learning how to effectively use your core. When you go for training, ask about using the opposite diagonal rise to help you both. Also, remember the footfall of the trot, it is the one gait that enhances any issues. How many times have you seen a horse sound in walk and canter, but lame in trot? It is the pace that will show up any one sided weakness the most.

Yes, agreed, and we do a lot of work in lessons on my core. Instructor always knows when I've been doing a lot of exercise, yoga especially, or if I've been lazy that week by how strong my core looks! We talked about it all earlier and she thinks a fresh pair of eyes would be useful at this present time too. So at least it's nice to have someone who is supportive!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Was your physio a sports therapist? I've been to see one recently and they seem to understand a bit better how things work in sports (especially if you can get one that specialises in riding) than the "normal" physios.

I've had huge success with my instructors who have been teaching "Ride With Your Mind"-style riding, from Mary Wanless. They have been super at pinpointing exactly what's wrong with my position, why it's wrong, what exactly I can do to improve it - instead of "lean back", they will come and poke the incorrect part of my hip until it's in the right position, give me images to work from, etc. It's been a real mind-opener. Almost like a physio/instructor!! Extremely useful.
So if you have one of these in your area, I'd definitely recommend it. I think there's a directory on Mary Wanless' website. Helen Wain is my favourite but I'm not sure whether she travels to you or not.

Yes, they do physio and sports injury/ therapy but unfortunately not a riding specialist. They were recommended by my equine physio as that's who she sends her client's (if you assume horse is the client!) owners to.

_GG_

Visit site
Yes, agreed, and we do a lot of work in lessons on my core. Instructor always knows when I've been doing a lot of exercise, yoga especially, or if I've been lazy that week by how strong my core looks! We talked about it all earlier and she thinks a fresh pair of eyes would be useful at this present time too. So at least it's nice to have someone who is supportive!

She sounds like a great instructor :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Horse is probably like that because of you/you because of him. Frank and I mirror eachother quite well and often need physio at the same time!

ihatework

Visit site
Have you got a mechanical horse near you?
I went through similar crisis last year and had 5 sessions on a mechanical horse - instructor with these is also important.
I'm at AM week after next, I use Adam but from what I have heard Justine is who you need for position bashing

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Have you got a mechanical horse near you?
I went through similar crisis last year and had 5 sessions on a mechanical horse - instructor with these is also important.
I'm at AM week after next, I use Adam but from what I have heard Justine is who you need for position bashing

There is one in Cheshire which I did go to last year and have been thinking about booking another session actually, so good call on that one. I have physio booked (for me, not horse, he is fine!) for 2 weeks' time so I might sort out a mechanical horse session for afterwards.

I have just spoken to the lady in the office at AM DR who said the same as you - she asked who I wanted to be taught by, I said I wasn't bothered but this was what I wanted to work on (all as above). She said Justine was the best for that, and that A & M send their clients to J to resolve position issues. If I go there it is looking like it might be a session on R the afternoon of arrival plus 2 more sessions with him the following day, and hopefully a schoolmaster session too (if they think I'm good enough!!).

I've also left a v/m for Dovecote so will chat to them and see what they would do with me, then I can make a decision.

Piglit

Visit site
I'm a bit behind this thread but was searching for the same thing, but as I'm horseless preferably somewhere that had schoolmasters.

A note on Dovecote...I've known Sam for nearly 10 years and he's the best trainer I've ever had. I've trained with lots of people since leaving his yard and I still go back to him for advice every time I have a horsey decision to make. He's grounded, sympathetic, clear and exceptionally talented at riding and training. He's not a fancy dressage ponce and yes he runs a great outfit but it's not scary, it's not overwhelming, it's simply inviting and life changing. He also ran Mary Wanless's yard for many years before setting out on his own so biomechanically he is exceptionally aware and explains things well, but is still very classical in his riding and training, which you don' get with RWYM (or certainly didn't when I did the Teacher Training many moons ago).

ALL that being said I spoke to Sam earlier this week on another matter and I don't think he's doing clinics any more but 'leasing' his schoolmasters and freelancing. I will check this with him as I'm after the same thing. My next call would be AM if I could take the little pony I'm riding...but I'd have to beg.

_GG_

Visit site
I'm a bit behind this thread but was searching for the same thing, but as I'm horseless preferably somewhere that had schoolmasters.

A note on Dovecote...I've known Sam for nearly 10 years and he's the best trainer I've ever had. I've trained with lots of people since leaving his yard and I still go back to him for advice every time I have a horsey decision to make. He's grounded, sympathetic, clear and exceptionally talented at riding and training. He's not a fancy dressage ponce and yes he runs a great outfit but it's not scary, it's not overwhelming, it's simply inviting and life changing. He also ran Mary Wanless's yard for many years before setting out on his own so biomechanically he is exceptionally aware and explains things well, but is still very classical in his riding and training, which you don' get with RWYM (or certainly didn't when I did the Teacher Training many moons ago).

ALL that being said I spoke to Sam earlier this week on another matter and I don't think he's doing clinics any more but 'leasing' his schoolmasters and freelancing. I will check this with him as I'm after the same thing. My next call would be AM if I could take the little pony I'm riding...but I'd have to beg.

Well, if you go to AM...I'l extend the invite to you as well...there's a bed here at mine, just 10 minutes from AM, so bear that in mind if it can help you cut costs xx