Introducing Lindeza (lin-day-za)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So, all you need is an iron seat, the machismo of a young, hot Spanish man out to impress his mates and nerves/self belief of steel and you're good to go :)

This is what all horses need!! :)

So true! I have always said (and often been disagreed with) that the most important thing when you back a horse is not your riding skill, it's your confidence.

Obviously it helps if you can actually ride too, but the confidence is key, imo.

Now, where can I find that hot young Spaniard ? ?

Last edited:

tristar

Visit site
I'm good with that Cortez, she's getting firmly but kindly told that nothing is in any way frightening. We ride on past and forget it, she doesn't get reassured by me because all that does is tell them they are right to be worried. She gets told she's a good girl after she's walked on, not before.

She's a real sweetheart, everything is well ahead of schedule so far. We have walk, stop, trot on, back to walk, basic steering left and right, basic leg yield (essential for road work) and I'm looking forward to the weather being good enough to get back out on the arena to let her go forwards more, because she's very keen to move and the barn is too small.

less fuss the better, mine would take me through hell, hope the weather picks up soon

tristar

Visit site
Oh, and BTW the biggest problem I've encountered with UK riders & Spanish horses is spooking (and that's how I ended up with the horse in my avatar, who was unrideable): if they are feeling any kind of fear from the rider, if they are not confidant in you, they will spook. I have ridden countless hot-as-tabasco fiery horses in Spain, in mad ferias, up the main street of towns; never had one spook, or even seen one do so there. So, all you need is an iron seat, the machismo of a young, hot Spanish man out to impress his mates and nerves/self belief of steel and you're good to go :)

P.S. The horses are brave enough to fight a bull off of, but they have to believe you are too....

be in awe, and know that they will not let you down,

planete

Visit site
I have witnessed the (slightly mad) bravery first hand. The hay delivery truck was backing towards the shed when the Spanish horse next door whose paddock was separated from mine by electric tape decided to see the monster off by charging at it repeatedly, thankfully held in check by the tape! He was from a bull fighting line I believe.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I can’t make my mind up re the sensitivity to aids: mine will stop if you tense your bum (!!) and you literally have to think about going left/right-I presume he feels a very slight shift. After a horse who needed firm aids, I was almost scared to ride him, he is very responsive. It’s how it should be, but I don’t think it’s terribly common and I’d say some riders have been taught to give really clear aids which aren’t always necessary.

planete

Visit site
I can’t make my mind up re the sensitivity to aids: mine will stop if you tense your bum (!!) and you literally have to think about going left/right-I presume he feels a very slight shift. After a horse who needed firm aids, I was almost scared to ride him, he is very responsive. It’s how it should be, but I don’t think it’s terribly common and I’d say some riders have been taught to give really clear aids which aren’t always necessary.

Riding a friend's Luso stallion for the first time, I found myself facing the way we had just come after approaching a corner in the school and 'preparing' for the turn. I was then told that just turning my head would alter my body balance enough to tell him all he needed to know.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
This thread makes me all fuzzy inside, I’m so pleased for you ycbm ☺️.

I had a lesson yesterday and was laughing that Skylla looks very ‘Spanish’ when ridden (from someone who has trained a lot of them) but apparently Skylla just makes it hard work rather than being as fabulous as a real one ?. Maybe instead of an Arab I should try a Spanish horse next ?.

ycbm

Visit site
Many years ago I was allowed to ride a corrida horse. I was told before mounting to just think of the aids not to give them. When I wanted canter I got a half pass and the instruction shouted across the arena was that I had thought too hard.

I was told this by the people I bought her from. Think the aids.

palo1

Visit site
I was told this by the people I bought her from. Think the aids.

This is exactly how it should be though isn't it? I have always thought that the aspiration for ridden and in-hand work and that is the reason that the best horses might be Arab/Spanish or other sensitive, responsive horses.

I think the comment about confidence/courage is soooo important and really the best gift a rider can give a horse (obviously coupled with a degree of skill and sensitivity). Fear is probably the most destructive thing a rider can bring to the saddle yet having experienced that fear myself and the impact of it, we still don't emphasise courage, confidence and 'joy' in our development as riders: in this country at least we seem obsessed with other (more boring and less fun imo) objectives!! My wonderful hot-as-hell part bred arab (with appy!) taught me that if he could be so brave as a 3 year old then I needed to be too. I know that I have many skill deficits which require work but I have wholeheartedly enjoyed the courage and fun that a good, brave horse brings us. :) Lindeza sounds like she will be fabulous!! :) :)

Shady

Visit site
The down side of this, though is that riding "normal" horses becomes impossible. The last time I rode a non-Iberian horse was five years ago - a fancy WB - and it was like sitting on a particularly unintelligent log.
This is so true and I remember a friend asking me how I'd felt her Trotter was to ride and I lied my arse off .

Shady

Visit site
Riding a friend's Luso stallion for the first time, I found myself facing the way we had just come after approaching a corner in the school and 'preparing' for the turn. I was then told that just turning my head would alter my body balance enough to tell him all he needed to know.
This is one of the things I love about them the most( although my Arab does it too) but it's really hard to get your head around to start with. I let a few people ride the PRE but I can tell within a few seconds if he's going to enjoy the experience and iv'e cut many a hack short due to heels digging him a little too much and heavy hands. He is such a good horse that he'll put up with it to protect his rider but I just don't see why he should.

BBP

Visit site
The down side of this, though is that riding "normal" horses becomes impossible. The last time I rode a non-Iberian horse was five years ago - a fancy WB - and it was like sitting on a particularly unintelligent log.

This is my problem, whenever anyone asks me to ride their horses I just don’t want to. My sister has two lovely Connie crosses, they are great horses, responsive, polite, well mannered and I’m really fond of them, but they just aren’t my little PRE x and I have no desire to sit on anything that isn’t him.

I’m so glad you have found such a lovely horse ycbm, and that she is bringing you some well deserved happiness.

Landcruiser

Visit site
My retired criollo is/was like this. I put a 14 year old French student who had learned to ride at a Parisian riding school on him - and it was like she was sitting on a ball of quicksilver, he just kept going in all directions. She swore she wasn't doing anything at all, but her just picking up the reins sent him backwards, and her trying to stop going backwards sent him forwards, and her lack of balance sent him sideways - it was actually hilarious to watch. She literally couldn't ride him. Luckily for her, younger criollo was/is much less sensitive so we swapped.

palo1

Visit site

Mmm but I think they are bred for that - so they can be precisely instructed in quite a particular way and possibly for a particular kind of rider. It's possible that the lack of thinking for themselves and the slightly less responsive horse is 'easier' in terms of the kind of life and competition that prevails with the kind of rider that wants that sort of horse. Lots of generalisations there and I don't want to cause offence but I think that a horse that is that bit more sensitive and responsive needs a different kind of attitude which is not one that is essentially taught here in the UK. The really sad thing I find is that some of the top horses (certainly not all) are quite 'mechanical' albeit 'correct' and they lose that wonderful personality and expression in their movement. I often think of top dressage horses as wearing their 'office face' even when off duty!! I have very little knowledge of higher level dressage - these are just observations of mine :) I think we should encourage more appreciation of character and expression (if only for the spectators enjoyment!!) :)

ycbm

Visit site

I rode her this morning and I'm really understanding this. If Ludo didn't have such enormous movement and flexibility, (and lovely character) he might be in trouble now :) I'm confirming all over again why I do so little with him even though he is five now, he is still just too rubbery and leggy for his own strength to hold it all together for more than half an hour on the arena. She, on the other hand, has two years on him in maturity and feels as if she is put together in an entirely different way. She feels as if she is sat down behind the entire time. Everything pushes from the back end. It feels fabulous!

I led her to the steps for the first time today instead of taking the steps to her. She did one half step back, I repositioned the steps and got on. This is the quickest I've ever been able to teach a horse that on my own.

We did some walk and a bit of trot, but we were inside the barn, which is tiny (because it was raining ?) so not much. No issues at all. I'm looking forward to getting her outside and asking for a canter.

She's a lot calmer today, and also ate up all her 'food' - a couple of handfuls of soaked grass nuts in oat straw chop with minerals. I can feel her ribs now if I push a bit, moving homes and the cold weather has just knocked off the bit of excess fat I was concerned about. Hopefully the new regime will keep her at the weight she is now.

Would you believe it, I'll have owned her a week tomorrow!