Introducing the spotty sprog!

Jinx94

Visit site
*sniffle* very cute but am afraid am going to need actual nose.....:D :D

I'll get one for you tomorrow ;)

I haven't got a clue how big he is.. I don't know if I want to know!

A friend of mine used him as a case study for her equine sports massage qualification portfolio. This was taken at the start of November during the second (maybe third) time that she came out to poke and prod him:

20161104_182900_zpsoxhcvrfu.jpg

She's not much over five foot. I think we can all agree that she can see over his back very easily.

Tonight when she came to visit, his back was almost level with the top of her head...

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
A little over a week ago, the breeder that I visited last Monday emailed me. She wanted to check if I had a shortlist even though I was going to see one specific yearling and had attached a picture of their newest surprise foal which she later asked me to name. This was the photo I was sent:

lantrespjanetfoal16thaug0081_zps2bbe0176.jpg

He looked beautiful but I didn't think I wanted him - didn't think I liked his face, plus I had wanted the yearling since last October and didn't want to deviate from that.

On Monday, I met the yearling and really liked him though I didn't feel as strongly as I thought I would. I got to meet three of her stallions and a few mares as well as more foals than I could count! Then we went to see the newbie. Again, I thought he was cute, but I was determined not to like him because I didn't want to be swayed by fluffy cuteness. But the more I looked, the more I liked him (hadn't felt at all like this when seeing the other foals). And then mum decided she didn't want him to be seen anymore and cantered off. As soon as he moved off after her, it hit me that I had to have him though it took a few days for me to come to terms with it as I had been so determined to get the yearling.

So, introducing Penpont Tristan :D

tristan24thaug3543_zps13c5f2c0.jpg

tristan24thaug3455_zpsd0ed8943.jpg

tristan24thaug3454_zps08131a2d.jpg

tristan24thaug3453_zpsf1565953.jpg
beautyful mum and foal

Jinx94

Visit site
This year has been somewhat eventful.

My parents sold our family home, I moved in with them, got a new job, they moved out, I am now car searching after a bit of a bump.. But thankfully, Tristan has remained a constant. He's still at the same yard, with the same people and I can always count on him to make me feel better about my day.

Tristan has had a great time chilling out in the field with his friends for the majority of the time and is also happy to come and have a bit of a "play" with me.
It's finally clicked for him that humans are friends. We no longer have any issues with catching, and he tends to mug people for cuddles. The difference from this time last year is incredible! I even had someone else long rein him a couple of times whilst I was on holiday earlier this year!

He gets a variety of work - some days we long rein, some days we walk in hand, occasionally we lunge, and he gets ridden two or three times a week (dependent on a few factors). I ended up backing him myself, with the help of my incredibly patient YO who flat out refused to put up with any of my nonsense :rolleyes3: As he is my first youngster, and due to various reasons I haven't been able to work on my riding as much as intended, the concern about doing things wrong / messing up / creating problems was all that I could think about. Yes, I got things wrong, yes I messed up, and yes I did create a problem. HOWEVER, I acknowledged each of these things, the steps that lead to them and came up with a plan of action that was backed up by my YO. As quickly as the problem had been created, we fixed it. I'm sure that at some point in the future, more problems will be unintentionally created, but I know that I will fix them.

Finding Tristan is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. He is so, so intelligent, forgiving and willing. When the winter gets really foul, he will be turned away, and I am so excited for the (hopefully many!!) years to come!

And now for the photos!! (Apologies in advance for major picture overload!!)

First time meeting my sister, she got all the itchy spots!!

dW5G928.jpg

Tg6kl9l.jpg

nDzWm3Y.jpg

Dum dum lost his headcollar.. Like that would stop me :rolleyes3:

dUqsrua.jpg

Our many walks:

JHsDtlJ.jpg
WfezUPW.jpg

IJdBg37.jpg

ZOLAyoo.jpg

DuEmvxU.jpg

First time in his new roller:

D8JdOHK.jpg

Out for a wander in the kit, before we commence long reining:

e8WDA9w.jpg

0uUOJNX.jpg

Some of our many, many long reining adventures...:

9JrSXO6.jpg

6fkE4zV.jpg
RBfSn4i.jpg

tUazV0L.jpg

4rwSoM8.jpg

And finally.....

New saddle!!:

O4sF58Q.jpg

7xk9zlz.jpg

First sit:

NfUCyqA.jpg

Second sit:

vf28yUo.jpg

First time in the school / third sit (we were on a rope intitially, but as he was so well behaved...):

NUnxhKd.jpg

Hi ho, hi ho, under saddle we go!! :D

Z9S0n9L.jpg

ZkwaaCo.jpg

CRA4YMH.jpg
09MHv0o.jpg

Xsskf9H.jpg
y5SSI51.jpg

Thanks for reading!!

Katie and Tristan xx

7fgO2MQ.jpg

Jinx94

Visit site
Thank you :)

Last time I measured him (a good few months back) he was almost 14.2hh, not sure whether he's grown much since! Has a back like a table though :D

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he has grown up to be very nice. a lovely spotty boy, well done for doing it all yourself.....and thanks for the update, it doesnt seem that long ago that you first got him...

Jinx94

Visit site
Time really has flown by! I was thinking this morning about how bizarre it felt when I first got him, and it was months before I felt like he was mine! Now he just feels like family :)

Unfortunately his tail got munched by the yearlings.. antibac spray seems to be a reasonable deterrent, but I'm open to suggestions!

Jinx94

Visit site
Almost a year since my last update?! I've been slacking!!

This year has not gone according to plan in any way, shape or form. Tris lost a lot of condition at the start of the year, vet assumed issues with resistant redworm and prescribed steroids. A month or two after we started work again, we noticed that his hips weren't moving equally - cue field rest and physio. Determined it to be due to muscle weakness so started on a fitness plan. Got back on board ONCE and then he threw a splint :rolleyes:

Start of October we finally were able to get cracking!

We mostly hack with the occasional session in the school, and he's discovered the joy of having a short (if I get my way) blast up the field :D we are going back to basics again as I wasn't impressed by our brake failure the other day. We were in a safe space, no one else's safety was at risk but there is no way I'm letting that become a habit!!

We've been hopping single teeny fences, no more than 40 cm, but following two episodes of him jumping five bar gates (one more successful than the other) EVERYTHING is 1.20m :oops: we parted company for the first time ever when he overjumped the aforementioned teeny fence (cue lost stirrups by shocked rider), bucked on landing and ducked to the side :oops: he stood like a lamb while I went through the quick mental process of "Did that really just happen? Yes. Am I broken? No." And then bogged off back to the yard (we were in one of the fields down the drive) the second that I twitched :rolleyes: we're going back to tiny fences on a lunge line until he understands that he should only use the required amount of effort! With his brain, it won't take more than a couple of short sessions.

Overall, my pony is a bit of a pig at times and can be lazy and stubborn as a mule. BUT he's very intelligent, tries unbelievably hard and has come so, so far. I couldn't be more proud!!

Without further ado, have some photos!!

mSjonSZ.jpg

Z4LkrDL.jpg

LvUywjk.jpg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He looks absolutely fabulous! He is very, very, very similar to our first Appaloosa, whose character could have been described just as you have described Tristan's! She was 15.3hh and we never knew her breeding either.