Introducing the spotty sprog!

Jinx94

Visit site
He's really grown. What a handsome chap. :)

Thanks Faracat :)

Got another update! I've been really busy since starting back at uni, so Tris has just been having fun in the field getting scratches and having his feet picked up when I visit (most days, but not all). He's been good as gold (for the most part) and really cuddly.

However. Ear-touching has been an issue on two occasions now. He says "no", I say "yes" and then he says "no" to me being near him completely. Hands are the devil when this occurs. The first time he had a tantrum, I was fast enough to grab his headcollar, and I just held on and kept him moving forwards and around me in between each rear. We stopped when he stood still and let me put my hand on his neck. The next morning I tried again, he tried to say no but huffed and let me do my thing within minutes.

Tonight was a bit more of a struggle as I have possibly overstretched a ligament in my knee and so am strapped up with a wonderful emerald green brace. He didn't go up, just sideways, unfortunately I couldn't follow as fast as he moved. He then wouldn't have me near him and kept turning his bum to me. I nipped back to my car to grab my hat and a lead rope (hadn't decided how to use the rope at that point - I'm certainly not above using it to keep his hind end away from me). Was able to encourage him to approach me, scratched his shoulder and once he relaxed to the "I don't want you to touch me, but I'll wait and see what you do" point, I caught him and started working on the ears. He stopped faffing fairly quickly - thankfully!!

Hind feet are still an issue too, which is really frustrating. He stands loose and lets me pick up all four, perfect with his fronts, but always kicks out once (never at me) with each of his hinds. Every now and again we have a kick free day. Not quite sure how to solve this - if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!!

Anyway, on to the photos!!

My friend in this one is 5'9", just to give you an idea of how he's grown...
IMG_1381_zpslksjaua0.jpg

IMG_1389_zpswzzil3ym.jpg

A couple here for you, Elle!
IMG_1398_zps8bn0yjam.jpg

IMG_1418_zpsonq7fsxb.jpg

Apparently that was the ideal way to doze off...

IMG_1437_zps9z9ywgxw.jpg

IMG_1439_zpsdt2ukr2b.jpg

Jinx94

Visit site
Aaaahhhh! Pony is awesome! Friend is awesome! Pony is really awesome!!

Tristan has had issues with men, particularly tall men, ever since I got him. He's a nightmare for the farrier (we are trying to work on this) and pretty much all other blokes that meet him.

A couple of days ago, a friend (very tall - 6'3") asked if he'd be able to use Tris for a college assignment - all he needed was a photo of him leading Tris. I said that we could give it a go, but I couldn't make any promises as to whether it would be successful.

So, off we went. Initially pony was a pain to catch, but after ten minutes or so decided that my friend wasn't so bad. He behaved amazingly! All four feet were kept on the ground and other than hiding behind me to begin with, he didn't go sideways!! And my friend was great, was really chilled and let Tristan get comfortable at his own pace :)

Can't believe it!! So I have photographic evidence :p

IMG_1452_zpsaojlsrzg.jpg

Feival

Visit site
Awesome, He looks very happy and chilled to be with your extremely tall friend. I cant wait to see what he grows into, little cutie :)

Jinx94

Visit site
Sounds like a massive win-win :)

Tristan is absolutely gorgeous btw. What height is he expected to make?

It really is :) just to get him happy with the farrier now ;)

Thank you :) on paper he should make 15hh, is currently standing at about 13-13.1ish. But his dam was a maiden mare, so who knows what genetic throwbacks could crop up :p

Clever little smoosh-nose :D

The smooshiest :p though I'm probably a little biased...

Awesome, He looks very happy and chilled to be with your extremely tall friend. I cant wait to see what he grows into, little cutie :)

I was amazed at how quickly he settled :) thanks, me too! He's getting more and more grey on his face as the days go by, give it a few years and he may be a leopard spot!

MargotC

Visit site
It really is :) just to get him happy with the farrier now ;)

Thank you :) on paper he should make 15hh, is currently standing at about 13-13.1ish. But his dam was a maiden mare, so who knows what genetic throwbacks could crop up :p

Maybe you'll have to rope in your friend again for some tall male bonding. :D

Will be exciting to see won't it! I was just looking at the very first foal pictures on the thread. His dam looks like a lovely sort.

Jinx94

Visit site
He's grown so much! So handsome!

Thank you! Your youngsters are looking fabulous - I do love Cardinal :) but Paloma just has such a pretty face - can't wait to see how they grow up! :)

Maybe you'll have to rope in your friend again for some tall male bonding. :D

Will be exciting to see won't it! I was just looking at the very first foal pictures on the thread. His dam looks like a lovely sort.

Haha definitely! Between J (friend/flatmate) and the sort of OH (who is broad, but not as tall), they almost make up my farrier :p so will be dragging them both to the yard whenever I can - hopefully the next farrier visit will be a little easier!

His dam is beautiful, she's one of the breeders personal rather than commercial mares, she's in foal to Tris's sire again. Can't wait to see what his full brother/sister looks like next year :)

Jinx94

Visit site
In the past two months, he's definitely had a growth spurt!! Measured at 13.1 and a half at the end of November and I'm rather scared to measure him again as I'm pretty sure he's at least 13.3hh now!!

More spots are appearing, and we had a visit from the farrier the other day. With bribery (thank you JFTD for the treats!!) we got through it with no damage to the farrier and minimal fuss for two out of four feet. Hopefully next time it'll be even better!

He had a bit in for the first time the other day, and was fine other than the realisation that he'd made a big mistake and it wasn't food! He fits into a cob size bridle, and we're all pretty certain that he's going to exceed his expected height...

Picture time!!

20160120_163444_zpsgjrq47dn.jpg

20160120_163400_zpsrdkavgs6.jpg

20160115_165412_zpskwrmn5co.jpg

Jinx94

Visit site
It's official, Tris is huge! He was 14hh last week! And only just a year and a half!

He's met diggers and cyclists and taken everything in his stride, I love this horse so much.

Now for the not so good news. I mucked up. He was due to be wormed possibly two weeks ago? And I usually worm him when the other youngsters are wormed, and as nothing had been said by my YO and I was so caught up with dissertation, exams and coursework, it didn't even cross my mind.

Tris is poorly. Possibly a mass emergence of redworm (I am really kicking myself for this, trust me, no one could slate me more for failing to worm him), or possibly a bacterial infection caused by lawsonia intracellularis. He was exposed to the lawsonia last year, but wasn't affected - we don't know if it could have been latent or if he's been re-infected or what.

Yesterday he really wasn't himself, and his temperature was 38.9, so he was kept in overnight. The vet was coming out this morning anyway and was able to fit him in. She took bloods and gave him a steroid injection as well as doing the usual check over. All he did was put his head up a bit - clearly not the daft pony that we all know and love. His temperature has come down since, and was 37.7 tonight. He'll be staying in until his condition improves a bit. I've been given karidox for him, and will be worming him tomorrow. I'm also collecting faecal samples over the next couple of days so that we can have a definitive answer as to whether it's redworm or lawsonia.

Honestly, I'm terrified. I have no experience with redworm problems and am avoiding google because that won't help the situation. But two of three youngsters that were affected by lawsonia last year ended up in a really bad way, and PTS was seriously considered. One was bad right from the start, the other seemed okay but then suddenly went downhill. When I went to see Tris tonight (6pm), he was lying down and didn't get up until I made him - normally he's up the moment that he spots me.

I feel so powerless. I know what is potentially coming, and all I can do is administer the karidox and hope for the best.

To lift the spirits a little - have some photos, sorry that they're all so massive! Can't seem to get the hang of resizing :p

Behind bars tonight:
20160212_184118_zpsbsiqngcs.jpg

He seems happy enough, I think he's enjoying the absence of mud!

Out and about having met diggers (in use!) and workmen:
20160211_151646_zpsxiempza5.jpg

The guys were lovely, though Tris was a little surprised when they jumped up to have a look at him over the hedge!!

Stationary digger!:
20160209_161836_zpsrfqbicy7.jpg

Just to give you an idea of size... And the monkey went bum high AFTER being measured at 14hh!!
20160209_155117_zpswbhhfgar.jpg

(Next to a 15.3hh)
20160126_1021480_zpsn5et5k1j.jpg

First time ever, allowing a stranger to touch his ears!! (My friend has said she's cool with me putting her picture up):
20160205_171733_zps34lfofb7.jpg

And finally, the derpiest derp face ever!!
20160126_101801-1_zpsiyatjpkm.jpg

JJS

Visit site
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's soon back to full health and getting into mischief again.

TheMule

Visit site
Oh goodness, I'm sorry for you. I'd personally want him under more intensive veterinary care. Is he insured?
My yearling old got very unwell in November and went straigt to vet hospital. Small redworm was one of the possible causes for her. They wormed her staightaway and put her on a dose of steroids at the same time to counteract the associated inflammation if they did emerge.
Sadly for her it turned out to be cancer

Jinx94

Visit site
Oh goodness, I'm sorry for you. I'd personally want him under more intensive veterinary care. Is he insured?
My yearling old got very unwell in November and went straigt to vet hospital. Small redworm was one of the possible causes for her. They wormed her staightaway and put her on a dose of steroids at the same time to counteract the associated inflammation if they did emerge.
Sadly for her it turned out to be cancer

That's awful :(

He's staying at the yard atm as he seems fairly bright, if there is any deterioration I'll be contacting my vet to see what they think is best. He is insured.

I'm worming him tonight and I'll be taking the faecal samples into the vets tomorrow, fingers crossed by the end of the week we know what we're dealing with.

fingers crossed for a uneventful recovery

Thanks you :)

What a cutie. I hope he recovers quickly. What height do you think he'll make?

Thanks you, so do I! It's weird, but I miss him acting like a muppet. On paper he should make 15th, but I think he'll make that and then some!

Jinx94

Visit site
Good news - spotty sprog is getting much brighter!

Turned out to be some worm damage which has caused a bacterial infection in his gut. We're currently keeping him in as temperature/character/everything just isn't consistent enough for us to risk turning him out, him and his fieldmates play pretty hard! He's getting walked out in hand and has ad lib forage, I take him out for some in hand grazing when I can.

He's getting antibiotics morning and night, steroids in his morning feed and red cell in his evening feed. Not really putting weight on, but it has only been a week and he isn't looking quite so tucked up.

I would love to pop up some photos, but he's so thin in any that I have that I really don't dare :(

Jinx94

Visit site
Thank you :)

I think so, he's already changed a fair bit since he arrived! There's a lot of grey hair under the bay on his neck, and I keep getting excited about seeing new spots! I'm looking forwards to seeing his summer coat :)

Jinx94

Visit site
Oh my goodness, I hadn't realised that it has been almost a year since I updated this thread!

Tristan has made a complete recovery and is fighting fit. I had been so concerned about him being skinny, that he did go a little the other way.. I've got his weight down, and we're cracking on with lots of walking and a reasonable amount of trotting around the fields. We'll be beginning long reining by the end of next week if all goes to plan.

Last night I lunged him for the first time - huge circles, pretty much all in walk though I included some trot to work on voice commands. He's such a good egg. So, so clever and I'm so happy that I made the incredibly stupid decision to buy him just over two years ago.

He's had a saddle on just to get used to having one on his back. It doesn't fit well enough that I would be comfortable with doing up a girth, but it works to get him used to the process. I need to measure him for a new bit, but we'll be long reining from his headcollar to begin with so it isn't an immediate concern. The last thing I want to do is accidently yank him in the gob if he does spook at something.

I'll put some photos up when I get home tonight :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i love seeing pics of the youngsters through their young lives and it makes me remember when i bought a 15 month old filly and did everything myself, its very rewarding and cant wait to see the latest pics of your handsome boy...

Jinx94

Visit site
Thank you!! I'm so so proud of him :)

I can't believe I'm saying this.. but I don't have any current smooshy nose pics D: I have one from early in December? Does that sort of count? :D

20161012_184007_zpshovkhh7q.jpg