irish draft

chameleon

Visit site
Well this is my 4yo full ID boy. I've only had him since the end of May and every day he makes me smile, he just has the most amazing personality, very loving (loves a fuss and being groomed)and tries his heart out for you. He has a fab temp, not a nasty bone in his body and I have yet to see him put his ears back at either a human or another animal. As he is only a baby I dont want him doing too much but he has been to a few parties and did his first walk / trot dressage test a few weeks ago just for the experience of going to a party and he came 1st - very proud mummy!!

One thing I would like to know from all you ID experts is at what age do they grow into their heads!!?? In the last month his head has grown and now needs X-Full browband and noseband and his bum has gone very bum high and huge!!!

picture.php

Ladylina83

Visit site
I ALWAYS wanted an ID - completely adore them ! with one forever mare I didn't really need another horse though ! I decided I wanted to keep a little bit of my forever mare so now I have a bit of her X ID - I LOVE him

fittyfitzy.jpg

Simsar

Visit site
Swifts Green Stud have a small RID stallion that is not Grey the lovely Hillviewfarm Trevelyan he is only 15.1hh and Janet is such a lovely person to deal with. :)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Well this is my 4yo full ID boy. I've only had him since the end of May and every day he makes me smile, he just has the most amazing personality, very loving (loves a fuss and being groomed)and tries his heart out for you. He has a fab temp, not a nasty bone in his body and I have yet to see him put his ears back at either a human or another animal. As he is only a baby I dont want him doing too much but he has been to a few parties and did his first walk / trot dressage test a few weeks ago just for the experience of going to a party and he came 1st - very proud mummy!!

One thing I would like to know from all you ID experts is at what age do they grow into their heads!!?? In the last month his head has grown and now needs X-Full browband and noseband and his bum has gone very bum high and huge!!!

He's a very nice chap indeed - but you CAN'T post nice pics of RID's and NOT tell us their breeding! Your chap sounds very typical of the breed - a 4 year old I sold last year as a just backed 3 year old won his 2nd Prelim test a couple of weeks ago, having come 2nd in his first!

I can't see a lot wrong with your chap's head - he carries it well - but he WILL mature over the next year (or 3) without head getting any bigger (so it will look smaller.) But he'd look silly with a small head!:D

chameleon

Visit site
He's a very nice chap indeed - but you CAN'T post nice pics of RID's and NOT tell us their breeding! Your chap sounds very typical of the breed - a 4 year old I sold last year as a just backed 3 year old won his 2nd Prelim test a couple of weeks ago, having come 2nd in his first!

I can't see a lot wrong with your chap's head - he carries it well - but he WILL mature over the next year (or 3) without head getting any bigger (so it will look smaller.) But he'd look silly with a small head!:D

Thanks Janet. His breeding is this: http://www.idshs.com.au/perl/search.pl?op=tree&index=4394792_bay_male&gens=5

You and a few others commented on a previous thread of mine saying that with his breeding having Flagmount Diamond he should be a good jumper…..well here are a few shots of his first ever clear round jumping party…..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As far as his head is concerned (the original photo I posted was from about 3 months ago)maybe it’s his ears that have grown recently – will he ever grow into them, he looks more like a donkey in this photo, but I still love him to bits!! :D:D The headcollar he is wearing is "full" size which did fit him in May but now the throatlash bit is too tight and I have no further adjustment.

picture.php

Sorry for the photo overload but the jumping ones do make me smile when I look at them!!!

Last edited:

marmalade76

Visit site
Swifts Green Stud have a small RID stallion that is not Grey the lovely Hillviewfarm Trevelyan he is only 15.1hh and Janet is such a lovely person to deal with. :)

Yes, I have seen him on the net, he's gorgeous (it helps that liver is my fave colour!). kent is a long way from Glos though, and I won't be looking for another for a couple of years yet (need to get both kids at school first) just window shopping in the mean time!

ETA, I do love greys (and have one already), but they have to live out these days!

Last edited:

chameleon

Visit site
Isn't there a saying, something like you never get a bad horse with big ears??

Apparently so - something along those lines and something to do with them being intelligent - seems to have come true with my boy, he needed a little time to settle and trust us but once we had gained this he has been an absolute star with everything we have asked him. Mind you, we still have the teenage "Kevin & Perry" stage to deal with as a 5 yo......wonder what he's going to be like then :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

tristar

Visit site
what unusual crosses have people bred using irish draft,? what talents have they shown when ridden? any anglo-arab crosses out there,? i might be interested in crossing id with my stallion who andalusian anglo-arab, not other peoples mares, but buying one very close to the breed standard. and afterwards breeding a pure id.

which current stallion is considered closest to the breed standard, and which lines produce the most active, catlike performers, which id stallion stamps his stock through the ist and 2nd generations?

Nakipa

Visit site
This is Tommy. 5 yrs old and about 16.1hh. I bought him from his breeder in Ireland and he is just the loveliest horse you could wish to meet. He is a naughty though and very mischievous. I am waiting for him to grow into his age!!!

IMG_2950_1.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

He is by Classic Vision out of a Sea Crest Mare so as far as I know that is pretty good breeding.

Kaylum

Visit site
yep see the grey mare in my sig and this is the boy I looked after, liver chestnut 16.1hh RID Stallion you can see how compact the older ID's were. Especially the ones related to KOD compared to the much chunkier grey one who is by Parnell.

knocky.jpg

Last edited:

Tr0uble

Visit site
I have one! He's one of JG's babies.

He's four, and has had most of the year off due to my broken knee, and now I'm starting to get backmon amd he's being an angel! He stands so still at the mounting blockmwhilst I clamber on, and he's been totally forgiving of my weakness after so long being broken!

BlogpicR-1.jpg

065.jpg

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Really?? Who's that? All of JG's seem to be huge and grey.

:D I do breed a few that aren't grey - and some aren't huge either. In fact I currently have a STUNNING bay filly who won't make more than 16.1. Only been backed about 8 weeks and is already practically bombproof to hack on her own!

ETA Tr0uble's - of course - IS huge and grey! :D

marmalade76

Visit site
:D I do breed a few that aren't grey - and some aren't huge either. In fact I currently have a STUNNING bay filly who won't make more than 16.1. Only been backed about 8 weeks and is already practically bombproof to hack on her own!

ETA Tr0uble's - of course - IS huge and grey! :D

Well keep me in mind, will be hoping to get another in a year or two :D

Luci07

Visit site
Interesting comment about the andulasian. There WAS some research done some years ago DNA testing and it was found that there were iberian strands in some of the ID's. (also known as the Kerry Grays). This was my previous ID x TB- who often was mistaken for having iberian blood in him!

picture.php

very talented SJ and not bad on the flat either! Our of Coevers Diamond Boy (King of Diamonds) hope I have remembered how to spell his sires name!

Last edited:

JenHunt

Visit site
I've decided I'd like another ID as my next horse, I just wish someone would breed some small ones that aren't grey!

this, except I'm not bothered about how big they are.... our mud stains bays yellow, so couldn't be bothered with getting a grey clean! ;)

I've worked out (from reading this thread) why Ron doesn't roll much - he's already brown! :D

tristar

Visit site
thanks luci007, they are physically similar i think that's why it seemed a good cross, in fact i have a youngster who looks like your horse but has no id! he is andy- angloarab, tres sangres, (three bloods) a complete hot blood, but as id's are renowned for their good movement i wondered if putting back to their origins might be preferable to crossing with warmblooods yuk!!

the connies are also similar and definately have iberian blood and i think rather than trying to breed bigger connies and losing original type crossing them is preferable

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Really?? Who's that? All of JG's seem to be huge and grey.

Just to PROVE a point:

Indigo Macha Prince - aged 5 and BARELY 16.1hh

Prince-4.jpg

Indigo Sweet Magic - aged 2 in this pic but is now 3 (backed and riding beautifully) and is 15.3hh - she might grow an inch more

Grading-Magic.jpg

There ARE a few more - and I have 3 bay colts this year - none of whom will be HUGE!:D

Tr0uble

Visit site
Oh wow! She is going to be a LOOKER, with those lovely White legs! Yummy! If only I could have another, amd could have a mare, amd could ride one that small without making it look like a pony...!

tristar

Visit site
mrs george, i like the macha prince, how do you view crossing id's? which cross if any do prefer, or would envisage as interesting.?

or do you consider the id the ideal in its own right?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
mrs george, i like the macha prince, how do you view crossing id's? which cross if any do prefer, or would envisage as interesting.?

or do you consider the id the ideal in its own right?

Prince is a sweetie! There are a lot of good crosses. Obviously the TB is the classic one, but it depends what you want! I'd like to try an Arab x one day, and on a quality cob, the result is very nice. Hell, Raj (Prince's Dad) had a trotter mare 5 years ago - the resultant foal is now hunting and doing very well!

marmalade76

Visit site
Just to PROVE a point:

Indigo Macha Prince - aged 5 and BARELY 16.1hh

Prince-4.jpg

Indigo Sweet Magic - aged 2 in this pic but is now 3 (backed and riding beautifully) and is 15.3hh - she might grow an inch more

Grading-Magic.jpg

There ARE a few more - and I have 3 bay colts this year - none of whom will be HUGE!:D

Many thanks JG, I haven't noticed any of either of these on your FB group. I will hopefully be bothering you in a couple of years time and will start saving my pennies ASAP!

I don't have to have a pure bred, would be quite happy with something with a bit of pony and/or TB blood, but being only 5', I definitely don't need a big horse!