Irish Draught Horses

ColandMe

Visit site
My most wonderful, horse of a lifetime was a beautiful ID. I got her from a rescue centre and when I first saw her I thought she was a bit funny looking, but when I rode her I knew she was mine. Got her home and she was a cow, I learnt so much from her, learnt you didn't tell her what to do, you asked and if you asked properly she did it. She was fun, very safe, a pleasure to be around, a real gentle, genuine girl. I lost her last December and thought I'd never ride again. She's the only horse I've ever felt truly safe on.

KazzOnAPiano

Visit site
I owned an ID until recently (v. sad sale sue to paying for masters degree) he was (and still is in his new home) the most amazing horse.

He would hack or hunt all day without tiring, would do anything you asked of him, jumped well, and generally never put a hoof wrong. However he did stringhalt and has mild arthritis, I know of other IDs with similar issues so possibly a breed susceptibility? It was controlled easily enough with supplements though.

Since selling him I spend a lot of time day dreaming about the ID I will buy when I finish the masters (an unspecified dream horse, not a particular individual!))

whiteclover

Visit site
Iv got an id and he's great! Very bolshy though due to him walking over his previous owner! I'm now picking up the pieces, he's strong and he knows it! Very loving horse, loves company!! Moves really well and loves jumping!!

Too true, all mine ISH's have been bolshy on the ground. However, Im selling my current one. They have all had good jumps on them apart from the mare I had who really didnt like jumping.

JenTaz

Visit site
You actually cant get a better horse than an Irish Draught, have to say though i am very biased, taz is a full irish draught six year old gelding, still growing and is already at 17hhs he tries his heart out at everything and is a joy to ride on the flat, his jumping is still a bit sticky but he has taught me so much

Tiffany

Visit site
My RID mare loves jumping and is good at it. She's by a stallion called Carrabawn View who did very well at SJ apparently.

They are a lovely breed who will turn their hooves to anything. I think they are a little slow to mature, can occasionally be sharp although, can't all horses and aren't always huge 17hh plus.

My mare is only 16hh.

I agree Janet George breeds some lovely IDs and ID Xs. Might also be worth you looking on the IDHS website.

mmel001

Visit site
I love my RID boy too! Had him about a year and a half, he came pretty much unhandled and has come a long way. Don't get me wrong, he's strong, is testing me as and when he can (what youngster doesn't!) and needs firm fair consistent handling. He really is a lovely horse IMO. He's a traditional purebred so he's stocky compared to the IDX's, but he's going to be a big old chap, almost 3 and a half and over 16h.

He's been started and is being slowly brought on this year, the trainer that's helping bring him on (I'm up the duff to can't get on him really) has nothing but praise for him. He's a quick learner and once he's got what you are asking is incredibly pleased with himself!

The person that asked if they are good jumpers I'd say they certainly can be! My boy is incredibly solid, very powerful, but untested as of yet for jumping as he's still learning about carrying passengers! Next year we shall see! 2 of his full brothers were doing well in both dressage and showjumping at 4 and 5, so he should have just as much potential.

I had another purebred ID when I was younger who I have to say had the best temperament and character in the world.

If a horse can be loving then I'd def say the ID's are and in my experience very willing to please!

Passage...

Visit site
SUPER breed, honest, caring, loving I wouldn't have anything else- ridden a few sharp ones as it happens! Love them

Passage...

Visit site
The proof is also in the pudding try and find one that isn't a youngster for sale- people keep hold of them I searched months to find mine

Persephone

Visit site
I lost my horse of a lifetime 2 weeks ago, she was ISH with ID very recently in her breeding :)

She was the most loving, attentive, intelligent, precious horse I ever met.

Not a nasty bone in her body, and the rapport we had was amazing. She tried her heart out under saddle, used her head at all times, always polite, always listened! I trusted her 100% and would recommend the breed to anybody.

I am currently, carefully looking for a new friend and it is her that has inspired me.

wednesdayadams

Visit site
IDs are my fave breed- my 6yo is the best horse I have ever owned. Yes they can jump and most have fab paces (mine got an 8 for paces at BD last week!)

Lynnskatz

Visit site
sorry to hijack post-but can purebred irish draughts jump?

heres my purebred ID mare jumping :)

282581_2351815435139_1242732515_32843159_2151558_n.jpg

283550_2351796994678_1242732515_32843102_375272_n.jpg

irishdraft

Visit site
OP in answer to your original question yes a mouse brown foal will go grey. I have three IDs, 2 purebred, 1 3/4 bred, they are all so different, in personality and stamp. My mare is full ID by Elm Hill she is fairly lightweight, (for a ID) a 'modern' ID she is a good hunter but very spooky on her own. I also have a purebred gelding by Beeston Lord Henry, he is heavyweight but is going to be fabulous, great movement and looks, difficult to back but is now going, only a 4 year old and as someone said he wont be doing an awful lot for another year, he will take a long time to mature, third horse is 3/4 ID by Kensons Mosaic also 4 year old already showing a lot of promise jumping but is incredibly spooky, sharp and has anxiety separation issues, this horse was a mouse brown foal, funny little thing took 6 of us to lift him onto the trailer !! and is now a gorgeous rose grey but will probably go grey/white as was his mother, father and grandfather.

Tr0uble

Visit site
My boy is ID, one of Janet George's... He's only four, stands at nearly 17.1 and is just amazing in every way!

This is him, taken on Thursday...

100.jpg

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The proof is also in the pudding try and find one that isn't a youngster for sale- people keep hold of them I searched months to find mine

THAT's true. I get a constant stream of enquiries from people wanting a 5-6 year old ID - I rarely have them. My 3 year olds tend to jump off the shelf as soon as they are backed. But the nice thing is that any half-way competent rider CAN bring on a well-backed 3 year old ID - because they're genuine and honest!

(I'm backing some pure-bred IDs right now if anyone is looking!:D)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
My boy is ID, one of Janet George's... He's only four, stands at nearly 17.1 and is just amazing in every way!

This is him, taken on Thursday...

100.jpg

Oh I DO love seeing pics of 'baby' Rhythm. He was always a bit of a favourite! I MUST start backing his full sister, Lady Ella, soon - she is SO like him! Come to think of it, his yearling full sister is exactly like him too (and even porkier as she's just moved down the road to a HUGE field that hasn't been grazed in 6 months - 3 days on, she can hardly waddle!:D

fizzer

Visit site
Fab breed, many moons ago mother and I had a Skippy foal. he turned out amazing. Very honest and genuine.

JenHunt

Visit site
OP - in answer to your question, they definitely jump.... The video is of OH jumping my Ron bareback. They eventually got to 1m30 this evening before we called it a day, but my camera had given up by then. :)

OH says, please excuse the riding, he was having an off day.

Last edited:

Dancing Queen

Visit site
honestly - they have shockingly bad feet, they are quite stupid and brave at the same time (will freak out at a crisp packet but jump anything you point them at). Not quite right in the head. I have owned quite few ID and i love their quirky nature.

rubysmum

Visit site
honestly - they have shockingly bad feet, they are quite stupid and brave at the same time (will freak out at a crisp packet but jump anything you point them at). Not quite right in the head. I have owned quite few ID and i love their quirky nature.

so true about the brave & dim at the same time - ruby has merrily marched past all sorts in her life but is quite likely to melt down at a leaf who looks at her funny or a robin in the hedge

they are my favourite breed - love their attitude to work & their ability to turn their hoof to most things - ruby has hunted, xcountyd, done sponsored rides, showing, dressage - she is my absolute horse of a lifetime

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Actually my old mare 3/4 ID has shocking feet, and is unbelievably nesh, I put rugs on her before the TB, and she won't stay in the field if she gets cold (for won't stay in the field read: walks through fence trashing everything in sight on the way in!)
Although she has a fab technique over a jump.
TouchySJSomerf.jpg

and usually gets an 8 for her collectives when I do dressage.
I am hoping that she is in foal to a TB stallion, find out next week, but without doubt and unbelievably versatile horse

buddylove

Visit site
My next purchase will definitely be an ID when I am a lady of leisure and have the time (and bank balance) for a 3rd horse. I spend far too much time looking longingly at JG's website!!! :eek: