Irish Draughts

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
May be I shouldnt post this as I know a Friesian owner, but it really annoys me to see the Friesians in English historical drama - TV and films.
Why? Friesians have been used in Britain in one form or another for 400+ years. Admittedly mostly as light draught horses, but they were regularly imported.

ecb89

Visit site
I have three atm
Fatty , very clever not athletic naughty thinks for himself a great hunter by Blackthorn . Blackthorns gone but I would not seek out another .
H by Gortlea Ruler ( very traditional old fashioned looking stallion ) dam by Windgap Cherrymount ( more modern jumping line )lots of bone huge stamina great heart and lungs a little nervous when young but he had an unfortunate rushed start a gentle kind horse but not that bright he’s a great hunter .
Sky by Luke Skywalker out of a Carrabawn View mare he’s finer than the others more sporty very athletic for a draught naughty clever and easily bored a lot of people would get into trouble buying a young Sky he’s by the nicest I have know he jumps he hunts ( a bit of a pain out hunting not altogether his fault his hunter training as been interrupted) he loves dressage training .But he’s a tease and needs to respect you however he’s got a great engine and he’s hardworking and generous when he’s engaged with his work .
Three horses all ID’s all very different .
They are all sadly very very good doers .

If you have a child you need a pony if you have a husband you need an ID .
Your description of Sky matches Paddy exactly

marmite89

Visit site
I love the breed but prefer them with a bit of TB too.
I’ve currently got one that’s 3/4 ID bought in March from a dealer in devon. He’sa cracking young sportier type at 15.2hh. He has a few currently for sale atm I think.
I’m not against an ID cross. Could you pm where you got yours from please?

Jellymoon

Visit site
I like them 1/2 or 3/4 bred, or the lighter weight ones. They are lovely, clever, usually fabulous xc/hunting machines, can be stubborn.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Me too . Lovely breeding ,

I tend to avoid carrabawn / cruising / clover hill lines . All a bit too quirky for me .
Crosstown dancer / TOTB / agherlow /
Carrickrock closeshave / Fast silver are my top choices when looking

They need to be on the quirky lines if the horse is for me otherwise I wold be bored witless .

Goldenstar

Visit site
Be cautious with Cappa Cassanova progeny.

If you can get an Amorous Archie you won't be disappointed, but they rarely come to the market. Anything with Crosstown Dancer in will be smart and move well.

This where I have to swim against the tide I know everyone loves the AA’s but they do nothing for me .
And I would love a Coppa Cassanova although I am not sure what I would do with it .

ihatework

Visit site
This where I have to swim against the tide I know everyone loves the AA’s but they do nothing for me .
And I would love a Coppa Cassanova although I am not sure what I would do with it .

Yeah I’ve not really seen an AA I’d go for, but then I think we probably like the same types (hence Sky). I can see why others like AA, but for me just a little bit lumpy and unathletic (which is how I find a lot of IDs).

LegOn

Visit site
I think Draughts vary so much in type and temperament now, it like any breed - they can be very diverse. I have a ID x Connie and he is wonderful (not biased I swear!) but the Draught stamina with the Connie brain is lovely!

I tried a good few full Draughts but decided they werent for me - either too much horse for me or like an ocean liner to turn or when they are sharp it was just too much horse for me to hold together! So I would be a bigger fan of a cross - but personally I wouldnt go near anything with Cruising in it though, quirky doesnt cover it - try unpredictable and downright loons!

Asha

Visit site

i get that, if you like quirky you wont like AA's. Different market, different ride. Thats why i love the breed, something for everyone !

Asha

Visit site
Yeah I’ve not really seen an AA I’d go for, but then I think we probably like the same types (hence Sky). I can see why others like AA, but for me just a little bit lumpy and unathletic (which is how I find a lot of IDs).

Amara doesn’t care that you think she’s not athletic, as she’s rather sleep than jump but she does take great offence at being referred to as lumpy ??[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 8C0BF8C7-DA5A-4C99-A6E4-FAEBCE5A93C7.jpeg
    8C0BF8C7-DA5A-4C99-A6E4-FAEBCE5A93C7.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 24

Goldenstar

Visit site

No surprises there .
Sky was a good buy .

spacefaer

Visit site

The chap we bought our Cappa Cochise from had a Cappa Casanova for sale at the same time. Very compact, quite sporty, athletic stamp around 16.2 - loved him.

I must admit I prefer Irish ID bloodlines to those of English IDs. Same original stock but they've gone in different directions with it.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

Little Alice is offended and says she is athletic. Loads of cadence, lift and forward momentum. What more do you want !

Alice.jpg

Goldenstar

Visit site
One thing you must consider when you buy a young ID and are a woman is how substantial they are when mature and developed properly.
And how fat they can get once they finish growing and topping out .

rextherobber

Visit site
I've got a truly lovely ID x TB , by Rebel Mountain, from the Ballinglen Stud. Wonderful temperament, beautiful and has a go at anything. Siblings/Half siblings event successfully ( I think I hold mine back!)

ihatework

Visit site
Any thoughts on this one HQ262690

Depends what you want. She looks a nice stamp and has a kind eye.
She goes like an uneducated ID which is because she is an uneducated ID!!
I’d struggle to handover 12k for a horse with so little natural balance but then I appreciate I like a different type. These types do have value for a specific market and if you like the look then worth a sit. I suspect she will feel rather green to ride though