Irresponsible Breeding... Should I Tell Her or Keep My Mouth?

QueenOfCadence

Visit site
Hey guys!

Some of you may remember that I posted about a friend getting a stallion which she was struggling to handle not too long ago... She's now had this stally for a couple of months and it's going better (she mustered the guts to ride him and he was an absolute sweetheart)...

However, of course if you have a stallion the temptation will be there to breed...

My friend's mare was recently diagnosed with KS and a couple of compressed disks in her spine (KS on L3 and L4 if I remember correctly. Could be wrong!). The mare is currently horribly unsound so my friend is unable to ride it so she's decided to breed it to her stallion:confused::confused::confused:...

Her mare is not only unsound but has terrible conformation, has never seen the show ring, has a horrid temperament and we have NO idea what breed she is (though we suspect she has some Friesian somewhere in her)

I'm not going to post pics of said mare on here because I don't want to disobey any Ts and Cs, however if any of you would really like to see what this mare looks like please say so and I'll privately inbox you a pic

Now the question is, should I tell her that I don't think the mare will be able to carry a foal to full term with her back being injured (she can't even carry a rider!) - which is my main concern with this breeding? Or should I keep my mouth??? She's a close friend and I'de expect her to be honest with me... But should I tell her that I don't think her mare is fit to breed:(?

dumpling

Visit site
Yeah I'd say that you wre concerned about her horse being able to carry a foal full term and that it wasn't very kind to the mare? Sugar coat it a bit to ensure you're not just slating the horse.

ThePony

Visit site
I would hope in this case the vet would mention that it is a rather bad idea - even simply from the point of view of the discomfort and pain the extra load would be likely to cause.
Like the other poster suggested, I would point out she needs the vets for swabs and let the vet take it from there. Unless of course you don't mind speaking your mind and risking your friendship, in which case just tell the silly woman!!

QueenOfCadence

Visit site
In this situation you should keep your mouth shut about your personal feelings but suggest that she gets the vets to do swabs for STDs and get the vets advise on the impact pregnancy will have on kissing spines.

The vet will be listened to- you will be b*tched about behind your back and oestracised!

Doubt she'll get a vet :(... They're those type of people that believe that horse's have been having babies for centuries so she doesn't need one... Also wouldn't need the vet for the actual breeding as she has a stallion close at hand. I'm suprised her mother isn't putting a stop to this...

Maybe I'll just tell her that I've heard there is this horrible STD horses get and that she should get the vet out before she breeds just to make sure... But even that might tick her off as I think she might take it the wrong way and think that I'm trying to tell her that her mare is dirty

Circe

Visit site
hi
If you really do have a close friendship, you could tell her that you are concerned, maybe word it more that you are concerned about the health problems the mare might have, rather that it having crappy conformation.
However, your friend might get upset and take it badly. How would you react to them if they did? Would it risk your relationship? Only you know that.
Kx

JFTDWS

Visit site
I would, but I couldn't care less what the owner thought of me after... The advantage of not being a teenager and not caring much for other people.

There seems to be a lot of drama around horses where you are...

rhino

Visit site
Now the question is, should I tell her that I don't think the mare will be able to carry a foal to full term with her back being injured (she can't even carry a rider!) - which is my main concern with this breeding? Or should I keep my mouth??? She's a close friend and I'de expect her to be honest with me... But should I tell her that I don't think her mare is fit to breed:(?

I thought you were a young teenager. Not a vet.

This will sound harsh but I'm afraid that with posts like this and other recent ones you are unlikely to retain many friends. :confused: You absolutely should NOT be sending photos of someone else's horse to others :mad:

If she asks you for your opinion then feel free to give it. Otherwise I would keep quiet.

QueenOfCadence

Visit site
hi
If you really do have a close friendship, you could tell her that you are concerned, maybe word it more that you are concerned about the health problems the mare might have, rather that it having crappy conformation.
However, your friend might get upset and take it badly. How would you react to them if they did? Would it risk your relationship? Only you know that.
Kx

I honestly don't know if it would risk our friendship because I've always kept my nose out of her business to the best of my ability... I'm honestly worried about her mare though. Maybe I'm just over reacting but I can't think how this mare will carry a foal for 11 months if she can't carry a rider for 25 minutes... Maybe I'll just recommend that she get a vet out to help with the breeding in hope that the vet will voice his concerns

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
Maybe I'll just recommend that she get a vet out to help with the breeding in hope that the vet will voice his concerns

That is the adult thing to do! Sorry! As much fun as imparting knowledge is- it is very scaresly (sp?) listened to unless you are being paid!

You can lead a horse to water...

QueenOfCadence

Visit site
I thought you were a young teenager. Not a vet.

This will sound harsh but I'm afraid that with posts like this and other recent ones you are unlikely to retain many friends. :confused: You absolutely should NOT be sending photos of someone else's horse to others :mad:

If she asks you for your opinion then feel free to give it. Otherwise I would keep quiet.

Thanx for your reply Rhino. I do appreciate it. It's mainly this friend that I have problems with - I'm sorry if you find it offensive. I'm not a vet, I'll admit to that - yes I am a teenager but I've been around horses longer than most adults. I'm in no way an expert, but I am logical - and logically I can't see how she'll carry a foal. Would it be okay to breed a foal and add to the over population we already have of horses if you weren't absolutely sure that the foal had a secure future?

I don't appreciate the comment on my friends though :( - I have many, but I'm not usually someone that sits around watching people make mistakes. I'd be JUST a responsible as she is if the mare has complications because I didn't speak up

She DID ask my opinion, though I have't given it to her yet. I'm wondering if I should just wish her the best of luck though or tell her straight that I think she should get a vet's opinion

muddygreymare

Visit site
I'd say something, for the sake of the horse and potential foal if she decides to go ahead anyway. Tell her to get a vet on board, the vet would try and convince her to not do it surely?

partyangel

www.freewebs.com
As a breeder myself I wouldn't breed from that mare. The mare is also unlikely to carry to weight of the stallion during mating so could also do more damage to the mare. Also with the state of the climate with selling horses ATM there is no point in breeding. Good horses arnt selling so anything that is crap will most likely end up as meat. Unless she is going to keep it for herself.

QueenOfCadence

Visit site
I would, but I couldn't care less what the owner thought of me after... The advantage of not being a teenager and not caring much for other people.

There seems to be a lot of drama around horses where you are...

There is. A lot of our people are "farm folk" so we have a massive problem with overpopulation (you can't drive down a farm road here without seeing an emaciated horse. You also can't drive down it without seeing 20 million foals in a paddock with the emaciated horses). However we don't have slaughterhouses for horses and very little funding from our government for welfare SO most of these horses die from starvation/dehydration alone in a field

Unfortunately even the suburban people aren't too far from the farm folk so even in the horsey capitol of South Africa you'll find A LOT of people not clued up on horse care

rhino

Visit site
yes I am a teenager but I've been around horses longer than most adults.

Yet you say you are logical...

Maybe you do come across very different on forum than you do in RL. Virtually all your posts on here are criticising others and lacking any real reflection.

You will never be able to control what other people do with their horses. If you are asked for an opinion, give it, but if you continue to post negatively about the people around you, it will come back and bite you! Especially if you are serious about being involved in horses in a professional capacity.

s4sugar

Visit site
Try another tack - If she uses her Stallion on this mare - assuming the mare doesn't get injured during the mating & further damaged during pregnancy - does she really want a foal with a propensity towards KS as an advert for her stallion?

Stallions get judged by their early progeny.

Capriole

Visit site
Yet you say you are logical...

Maybe you do come across very different on forum than you do in RL. Virtually all your posts on here are criticising others and lacking any real reflection.

You will never be able to control what other people do with their horses. If you are asked for an opinion, give it, but if you continue to post negatively about the people around you, it will come back and bite you! Especially if you are serious about being involved in horses in a professional capacity.

sorry but this ^

Fellewell

Visit site
As a breeder myself I wouldn't breed from that mare. The mare is also unlikely to carry to weight of the stallion during mating so could also do more damage to the mare. Also with the state of the climate with selling horses ATM there is no point in breeding. Good horses arnt selling so anything that is crap will most likely end up as meat. Unless she is going to keep it for herself.

Good point and if the mare's temperament is in question and the owner is inexperienced the stallion may well get injured.

Circe

Visit site
Well, now youve said a bit more, it doesn't sound like you are that close with your friend... you say she has asked for your advice so you could feel free to tell her to ask a vet for an opinion.
I have to say though that my biggest bug bear with the "horse world" is the belief that so many people have that they have a right/ need/ want to tell other people what to do with their horses.
Ive found its very rarely appreciated and just puts peoples backs up.
Kx

Kat

Visit site
QoC the more posts I read from you the more I begin to doubt whether you are actually real and telling the truth.

Anyway I'd love to know how a teenager can have been around horses longer than most adults! I've been riding for 30 years, have you been around horses longer than me? Oh no of course not you haven't been alive as long as I have been riding *head desk*

Circe

Visit site
Anyway I'd love to know how a teenager can have been around horses longer than most adults! I've been riding for 30 years, have you been around horses longer than me? Oh no of course not you haven't been alive as long as I have been riding *head desk*

That did make me smile.
I do remember how idealistic, and sure I was that I was right when I was late teens though. ;)
Kx

JFTDWS

Visit site
There is. A lot of our people are "farm folk" so we have a massive problem with overpopulation (you can't drive down a farm road here without seeing an emaciated horse. You also can't drive down it without seeing 20 million foals in a paddock with the emaciated horses). However we don't have slaughterhouses for horses and very little funding from our government for welfare SO most of these horses die from starvation/dehydration alone in a field

Unfortunately even the suburban people aren't too far from the farm folk so even in the horsey capitol of South Africa you'll find A LOT of people not clued up on horse care

That is not what I meant. Every day you seem to have a new tale of neglect, insanity, horse illness, injury, friendship woes. I don't know how you manage to have such an eventful life...

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site

... alot of people negleting and mistreating their horses through ignorance, or maliciousness, or alot of people that do things differently? There is a massive difference between the two!

I think you have a great post here, we were all on your side- but unfortunately the phraseology and some of your claims have changed its course. Sorry sweetpea!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Is "farm folk" and "suburban people" the new way of describing "blecks"?

*Oh, Dee, really, hou jou mond:D*

FionaM12

Visit site

:D:D I was thinking along those lines too. The maths don't really work do they? ;):D

Puppy

Visit site
QoC the more posts I read from you the more I begin to doubt whether you are actually real and telling the truth.

LOL!

There does indeed seem to be a lot of drama in CoD's posts....:rolleyes: