Irresponsible Breeding... Should I Tell Her or Keep My Mouth?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'm not a vet, I'll admit to that - yes I am a teenager but I've been around horses longer than most adults.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Please, think again before you type such blythe comments on a forum like this.
Sweetheart, I've been around horses for longer than your mum has probably been on this planet....

Last edited:

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Nah, I've never really fancied Pringles. They always make me think that someone has chewed up perfectly good potato crisps, spat the results out onto the heated towel rail in the bathroom and picked them off when dried.

CatStew

Visit site
The fact that you've said that there is a bit of a 'horsey crisis' going on in your part of the world, the mare is agressive and has kissing spines, can you not use these as a reason? I think you do need to be honest with your 'friend', but be constructive about it at the same time if you're worried about offending her.

:rolleyes: I was a pompous teenager as well at one point, thought I knew everything about horses until I entered the real world and got shot down in flames..:rolleyes:

overtherainbow

Visit site
surely it depends on whether the KS is conformational?

Also most racehorses have kissing spines (not conformational) and they breed fine- its all to do with how bad they are which a vet can tell by x ray.

Spring Feather

Visit site
QoC if I were you I'd keep my nose out of other peoples business, said in the nicest possible way :) I'm a breeder of good stock but I see people all the time breeding what I class as deadbeat horses. That's up to them quite frankly. Your latest posts make you sound a little snobbish tbh :eek:

Arizahn

Visit site
OK, the way I see it is this.
She asked you for your opinion. Your opinion is that the mare is not physically sound enough to carry a foal, that the mare is unproven in the show ring and has a bad temper. Also there is little to no money to be made breeding and selling at the moment. And your area has too many horses as it is, many of which are living in less than suitable conditions.

I think you should tell her this politely - and point out that her stallion is proving to be a sweet horse so maybe she ought to focus on him and his schooling and either:
A) Put the mare out to grass for a few months whilst sorting out her KS, etc (if possible)
B) Put the mare to sleep (if she will never be sound and would be unhappy and/or in pain kept retired)

If your friend really wants to breed from her stallion, then she needs to get him a good reputation - under saddle, in the show ring, whatever. Then she can charge other people for the privilege of having her stallion cover their mares:D

At the end of the day, if she is your age, then her parents/guardians will have the final say anyhow. So worry not - be polite and tell her the truth. If she tells you to bog off, well it won't be your problem anymore regardless of what happens. Sometimes we lose friends. This is just the way life is.

Of course the OP is surrounded by drama! She is a teenager who spends time around horses - and competes! There would be something wrong if she wasn't surrounded by drama!
Crikey, was no one else on here ever that young? Am I the only one who remembers things really, really, really mattering? And not knowing how to deal with stuff?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Q of C. I would ask your friend what she intends to do if her mare is unable to carry the foal and needs to be PTS in the middle of her pregnancy.

Many of us would love to breed a foal. I am SO pleased now that I didn't go ahead with my retired mare. I was given the all clear to breed from her by the vet last year. He said her shoulder injury was stable enough not to cause her any discomfort as she had been completely sound on it for twelve months. I deperately wanted something from her, for myself and not to sell on as she is the horse of a lifetime. However, completely unforseen, she came down with laminitis a few weeks ago. Imagine how much more pain she would have been in if she had been in foal? Also, how would I have put her on the strict diet she needs to be on?

So in my case I had a seemingly perfect opportunity to breed. The mare has exceptional conformation and breeding, and a temperament to die for. Additionally, the foal would have a home for life and would never be sold, but even this ideal scenario would have turned out to be a disaster. In your friend's case, it is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:

rhino

Visit site
At the end of the day, if she is your age, then her parents/guardians will have the final say anyhow. So worry not - be polite and tell her the truth. If she tells you to bog off, well it won't be your problem anymore regardless of what happens. Sometimes we lose friends. This is just the way life is.

Her friend is 12 so I would think it highly unlikely there will not be parents/instructors involved in the decision ;)

Drama is fine but constantly belittling your peers/competitors is not on IMO :)

Arizahn

Visit site
Her friend is 12 so I would think it highly unlikely there will not be parents/instructors involved in the decision ;)
Good stuff!
Drama is fine but constantly belittling your peers/competitors is not on IMO :)
The word you need to remember here is "teenagers" - this is what they do to each other. It's better than beating each other with sticks, I suppose...which reminds me of a song. I think it's by Covenant...

Archangel

Visit site
Has the stallion been used before? and is she used to the breeding process? Covering one mare might be more hassle than it is worth, unless they are going to run together.

noodle_

Visit site
I'll never look at pringles in the same light again!!

Nah, I've never really fancied Pringles. They always make me think that someone has chewed up perfectly good potato crisps, spat the results out onto the heated towel rail in the bathroom and picked them off when dried.

Im actually sat here half way through a cheese sandwich....and some Pringles!:eek: OK in the bin they go.:D

Thank god id finished my pringles before i read that!!!

i luvs pringles!! so does the spaniel!! :D

(then again it eats stale bread off the streets so ewt will do for her ! :rolleyes: )

scarymare

Visit site
Sorry OP, not sure if it is your (lack of) verbal communication skills but you are coming accross here like a jealous spoilt brat.

Why don't you spend more time constuctively and not ripping others and their horses to shreds?

Yours looks lovely btw. No need for the green eyed monster to come out surely.

Kenzo

Visit site
If you are a close friends then hopefully she will be willing to listen to your point of view, so long as you put it across in a kind and genuine manor if you are truly concerned about the mare being bred from.

Friends should be able to take and give friendly criticism and advice without getting touchy about it, after all that is what close friends are for, you look out for one other even if it means having a difference in opinion from time to time, providing you are doing for the right reasons.

Ladydragon

Visit site
... yes I am a teenager but I've been around horses longer than most adults.
<snip>
She DID ask my opinion, though I have't given it to her yet. I'm wondering if I should just wish her the best of luck though or tell her straight that I think she should get a vet's opinion

Blanket comments like the first QoD won't really do yourself any favours... It might have relevance to adults per se as a group but has no foundation as a youth in a 'horse world' of mixed ages...

I don't see any problem with suggesting that she "of course will be seeking a vet's opinion on the mare's ability to endure the physical aspects of the mating, pregnancy and foaling"... It would be a fairly normal assumption/suggestion to make to anyone enquiring about breeding from their animal...

:)

Auslander

Visit site
I don't see what the problem is. If the mare isn't sound enough to be ridden - she needs to do something! And there will be a lovely cute fluffy foalie too. Win win situation...

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I don't see what the problem is. If the mare isn't sound enough to be ridden - she needs to do something! And there will be a lovely cute fluffy foalie too. Win win situation...

hopefullya colt,then the breeding can continue.. can you see it now.. HEADLINE

youngest teenager ever to set up stud:D

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Anyway I'd love to know how a teenager can have been around horses longer than most adults! I've been riding for 30 years, have you been around horses longer than me? Oh no of course not you haven't been alive as long as I have been riding *head desk*

Agree with this. Although I do find that the older I get, the more I realise that I in fact know very little at all. Or maybe it's just because I can now take on board other peoples' opinions as well. ;)