Irresponsible Owners

P3LH

Visit site
I’ve got an amazing bruise and cut (through thick jeans) given to me by a chocolate Labrador in some remote woods last week. He just ran at me and launched, I honestly thought he’d broken my leg, it definitely did something to my hip. He then did another go round and went to do it again and I held my hand up like a policeman and yelled ‘stop’. He was so surprised he did, at least long enough for me to get organised. He calmed down then and played nicely with my lot.
The owner said ‘gosh you are so lucky, he normally launches at faces’. I mean FFS! My mum walks our dogs near those woods, it would have put her in hospital.
Bit like when latest pup was much younger and still really quite small, furry and squeaky and two rather large, rather switched on, bull lurchers pursued us steadily for quite some time as they ‘just wanted to play with the baby’ said owner so glammed up and kitted out in branded country attire it was like a Barbour catalogue had thrown up on her.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I’ve got an amazing bruise and cut (through thick jeans) given to me by a chocolate Labrador in some remote woods last week. He just ran at me and launched, I honestly thought he’d broken my leg, it definitely did something to my hip. He then did another go round and went to do it again and I held my hand up like a policeman and yelled ‘stop’. He was so surprised he did, at least long enough for me to get organised. He calmed down then and played nicely with my lot.
The owner said ‘gosh you are so lucky, he normally launches at faces’. I mean FFS! My mum walks our dogs near those woods, it would have put her in hospital.

I know someone who had her leg broken, proper fully broken by a dog running at her (I think a Lab or retriver). She wasn't particularly young/old/vulnerable but it still took her clean out and did a lot of damage on the way.

Policeman hand and a booming "No!" seems quite effective I've found!

Millionwords

Visit site
I have a rescue JRTx he has been knocked out, picked up by the back legs, bitten, bowled over, bounced upon and snapped on so many occasions that hes now a reactive dog.

Every single time the excuses were "only playing" or the owner had no recall, no interest, on the phone or all three.

Bad dog owners need the dogs removing so that everyone (dogs, public and other dogs) have the life and experience they deserve.

(I shall resume my long time lurking again now ?)

Arzada

Visit site
Update on the murder of the Dawlish cob.

The unbelievably selfish owner of the on short lead dog which killed the resident black cob sitting on his 7 soon to hatch eggs is 'utterly distraught'. There is a pathetic reason that this was an unforeseen occurrence. Hardly a unique occurrence and therefore foreseeable. There is zero need for any dog to be within killing distance of a swan. I'd like to think that the book is thrown at this person but there's no point really is there.

Let's spare a thought and a ton of sympathy for the cob's life partner who would have seen her mate killed and who no longer has him in her life or her eggs to sit on. I hope that she finds another partner but it's not like there are tons of black swans around.

A photo of the cob on their nest https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1570102/Black-swan-dog-attack-Tucks-Plot-Dawlish-Council-Devon

Nasicus

Visit site

The unbelievably selfish owner of the on short lead dog which killed the resident black cob sitting on his 7 soon to hatch eggs is 'utterly distraught'. There is a pathetic reason that this was an unforeseen occurrence. Hardly a unique occurrence and therefore foreseeable. There is zero need for any dog to be within killing distance of a swan. I'd like to think that the book is thrown at this person but there's no point really is there.

Let's spare a thought and a ton of sympathy for the cob's life partner who would have seen her mate killed and who no longer has him in her life or her eggs to sit on. I hope that she finds another partner but it's not like there are tons of black swans around.

A photo of the cob on their nest https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1570102/Black-swan-dog-attack-Tucks-Plot-Dawlish-Council-Devon

Local to me and bloody tragic, always a treat to see the swans when I go to dawlish.

Books'n'dogs

Visit site

One of my brothers is a very enthusiastic birder (he has an international reputation) and these kind of incidents have turned him against most dog owners. The fact that the dog was on lead almost makes it worse. What on earth was the owner thinking?! ?

Nasicus

Visit site
One of my brothers is a very enthusiastic birder (he has an international reputation) and these kind of incidents have turned him against most dog owners. The fact that the dog was on lead almost makes it worse. What on earth was the owner thinking?! ?
I suspect an attempted selfie with the bird (whilst still holding the dog) gone very wrong.

skinnydipper

Visit site
My sweet natured big girl falls into the giant size category. I take my big dog owner responsibilities seriously and do my utmost to make sure that she is never in a position where she would feel pushed to defend herself.

Today on our morning walk a red lab ran up behind us growling. The dog's owner was slouching along hands in pockets, hoodie with hood up. I shouted to him to call his dog, he ignored me though he did take a different path and the dog followed him, along with his other dog.

Unfortunately we met him again when he was coming towards us on the loop as we made our way back to the car. When I saw him coming I took her up a bank onto a higher level and well off the path. His dog did the same thing again, ran at her growling, I shouted at it and chased it off. I called to him that he should put his dog on a lead when he knows it will do that and he told me I was an idiot and it was a park! In my view being in a park doesn't mean you can allow your dog to start a fight.

The second time the big girl tensed and her body language changed and I felt she could have retaliated if it tried to attack her.

I'm so bloody annoyed that she should be put in that position and it makes me feel sick when I think what might have happened if she had been off lead at the time.

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I suspect an attempted selfie with the bird (whilst still holding the dog) gone very wrong.

I dunno, some dogs are just ninjas and a lot of owners are not aware of their surroundings. See the woman with the spaniel who I was able to follow home a couple of weeks ago and didn't even notice (DISCLAIMER, THERE IS A BACK STORY AND I AM NOT A WEIRD CREEPY STALKER).
Once a dog has clamped onto something can be hard to get it off if you don't know what you are doing, most people instinctively pull back, which causes opposition reflex, and with something as delicate as a swan's neck (for example) crush injuries alone or bleeding out would be catastrophic very quickly or the bird could have gone into shock with just one bite before owner was able to drag it away.
I am not excusing the actions for one minute but I can totally see why a dog can still attack when on leash.
It could have been a rubbish chain leash or a flexi etc.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My sweet natured big girl falls into the giant size category. I take my big dog owner responsibilities seriously and do my utmost to make sure that she is never in a position where she would feel pushed to defend herself.

Today on our morning walk a red lab ran up behind us growling. The dog's owner was slouching along hands in pockets, hoodie with hood up. I shouted to him to call his dog, he ignored me though he did take a different path and the dog followed him, along with his other dog.

Unfortunately we met him again when he was coming towards us on the loop as we made our way back to the car. When I saw him coming I took her up a bank onto a higher level and well off the path. His dog did the same thing again, ran at her growling, I shouted at it and chased it off. I called to him that he should put his dog on a lead when he knows it will do that and he told me I was an idiot and it was a park! In my view being in a park doesn't mean you can allow your dog to start a fight.

The second time the big girl tensed and her body language changed and I felt she could have retaliated if it tried to attack her.

I'm so bloody annoyed that she should be put in that position and it makes me feel sick when I think what might have happened if she had been off lead at the time.

Don't you just love it when other people are happy to leave you in the position of being stuck in between two large, scrapping dogs and walk off in the other direction.
I wish there was a way to quickly, succinctly and snarkily shout: "IF I GET BITTEN AND CAN'T WORK I AM GOING TO SUE YOU FOR LOSS OF EARNINGS"

Nasicus

Visit site
I dunno, some dogs are just ninjas and a lot of owners are not aware of their surroundings. See the woman with the spaniel who I was able to follow home a couple of weeks ago and didn't even notice (DISCLAIMER, THERE IS A BACK STORY AND I AM NOT A WEIRD CREEPY STALKER).
Once a dog has clamped onto something can be hard to get it off if you don't know what you are doing, most people instinctively pull back, which causes opposition reflex, and with something as delicate as a swan's neck (for example) crush injuries alone or bleeding out would be catastrophic very quickly or the bird could have gone into shock with just one bite before owner was able to drag it away.
I am not excusing the actions for one minute but I can totally see why a dog can still attack when on leash.
It could have been a rubbish chain leash or a flexi etc.
That's very true! Maybe I'm just jaded and cynical :D

skinnydipper

Visit site
Don't you just love it when other people are happy to leave you in the position of being stuck in between two large, scrapping dogs and walk off in the other direction.
I wish there was a way to quickly, succinctly and snarkily shout: "IF I GET BITTEN AND CAN'T WORK I AM GOING TO SUE YOU FOR LOSS OF EARNINGS"

There is an increase in people who take their dog out and leave their brain at home. I'm p1ssed off with it.

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
It's bad enough they don't care about/have any respect for other people and their dogs, but also seem to not really care about what would happen to their own dog if they were to get in a fight.

I'll jinx it now but touch wood we've not had any 'incidents' recently. I'm still feeling shaken by the GSD and collie skiing owner so don't feel safe to go that route again which is sad because it was otherwise a really nice walk. Most of it is on narrow track and I just wouldn't feel happy coming across them at close quarters.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

Omg, I missed this! Hope you’re ok. That dog absolutely needs to be on lead around people. Honestly, the more I read, the more terrified I am to take my little ones out.

I’m teaching Mitch not to rear at people. He’s very light currently and doesn’t put any weight on the leg, but I certainly don’t want an adult dog that thinks that behaviour is acceptable.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Since I broke my leg, I take a walking stick with me when dog walking, in order to avoid slipping and breaking something else. However, I have found it most useful for seeing off annoying dogs, in particular a couple of yapping terriers whose owner really didn't like my pointing the stick at them and telling them to 'get out of it' in my best 'teacher in the playground voice', when he was a lot further away from them than I and my dogs were. Tough! I can recommend carrying a stick.

Pippity

Visit site
Or ‘well you are so lucky to have well behaved dogs’. Nope, it’s not down to luck. What was it ‘the harder I work the luckier I get?’ Or similar.

My mum has two spaniels living on her street. One is out of control - tows its owners everywhere, is constantly escaping, barks non-stop, etc.. The other sits neatly at the edge of the unfenced garden, walks perfectly at heel whether on-lead or not, recalls immediately, and is just a delightful dog.

You can guess which owner tells the other that they're 'lucky'.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Had a cracker today.

I was sat on a bench, off the main path, with my dogs on leads. Lady with dog walks past and says to her dog, ‘ok, go and say hello then’. One of my dogs does not like big dogs - and this one was big.

‘My black dog is not friendly’ says I. Big dog came over to say hello anyway. It was on a lead. My dog went for him. ‘I told you he wasn’t friendly’ I said calmly. ‘No need to get angry with me’ she says ??‍♀️??

scats

Visit site
Last Sunday I was at the sand dunes with the dogs and there was a gorgeous but rather out of control show cocker, whose male owner was pathetically calling its name in an attempt to get it to come to him. It was just running up to every dog to play and then following them and their owner instead of following the bloke.
It ran over to my girls to play and promptly ran straight into my legs at high speed and nearly took me out. If that had been my mum, it would have had her right over. Owner never said a thing, just continued to call its name over and over while being ignored.
:rolleyes:

Sandstone1

Visit site
The other day on arriving at one of my walking spots in the car with dogs in the back, two ladies with dogs were talking together about 20 yards away. I pulled in to the parking space and started to get my dogs out of the car. On leads and under control. Two of the dogs belonging to one of the women chatting up the road the decided to run down the road and come up to my dogs. I just said to the owner that one of mine is not that friendly to other dogs. ( not completely true but she can be a bit grumpy with rude dogs) She then very rudely replied I shouldnt have got mine out of the car then! My dogs were on lead and under control. Hers were off lead and out of control!
I told her she should have her dogs under control to which the reply was several swear words beginning with F!
She then walked away down the road dogs still off lead. I continued to walk a way behind her with my dogs on lead. One of her dogs pooed and she didnt pick it up. So many rude, ignorant and lazy dog owners around that think their dogs can do what they like.

cauda equina

Visit site
Someone in my localities dog has died today due to an irresponsible owner.
The owners off lead sighthounds chased a small terrier, it bolted and was hit by a car and killed.
I don't know the owners but I'm so angry and upset for the dog and them.
So sad, poor little dog

Some years ago at Sandringham a woman asked me if I'd seen her greyhounds
I told her Yes, they've just killed a deer
You're joking! she said; I wasn't, and although upset about the deer was very relieved that they hadn't killed my terrier