Irresponsible Owners

GSD Woman

Visit site
Yeah, I was thinking 'best of luck with that one'.

It will work, especially if they are committed to the fight. May not be a first choice but it can work.

Dog poop baggies hanging on trees. Why???

Why would you go through the trouble of bagging it, then leave it? Are you expecting magic poop fairies? I guess some people don't want to carry it around, so they leave it on a tree, thinking they will collect it, then forget about it. But it still makes no sense because I see poop baggies attached to trees less than 10 meters from a bin.

If I was that close to a bin I would just carry the bag to the bin. I occasionally hang bags in trees knowing I'll be going be that way and I can pick up on the way back. I'm not fond of carrying poop about for our entire walk if I can do something simple with the poop.

GSD Woman

Visit site
People who leave bagged up poo lying or hanging in their wake are just as disgusting as the ones who don't bother lifting it at all, only with plastic pollution added into the mix.

Gee, thanks. At least I retrieve my poo bags on the way back to the car. And what am I supposed to use to pick up the poo? Or should I throw the poop into one of the creeks that drains to the Chesapeake Bay?

skinnydipper

Visit site
Gee, thanks. At least I retrieve my poo bags on the way back to the car. And what am I supposed to use to pick up the poo? Or should I throw the poop into one of the creeks that drains to the Chesapeake Bay?

Thing is, over here people decorate trees and shrubs with used poo bags and they remain a permanent fixture.

If I am going on a walk where I know bins will be few and far between, I don't find it a problem to carry something to put the filled poo bags in until I reach a bin. We have bags like a MucBag or Dicky bag available here. We can also buy Doo Doo Tubes from Amazon UK, a US import.

When I had a few dogs I used a MucSac which was a largish rigid plastic container with a hinged sealed lid and shoulder strap, though I can't see them for sale now.

Now I use a waterproof bumbag, something like this -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394153902794?hash=item5bc56742ca:g:k80AAOSw2YVix5Nj

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We've got a blue Tupperware type pot with a snaplock lid which we put the filled poo bags in. The blue pot is not used for anything else. If the dog performs just after we've set off, I'll pop back to the car and put the bag just under the car, and make sure that I retrieve it before we set off for home.

Blue pot goes in a mini rucksack on the walk.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Picking my way through other people's dog's shit to clear up after my own dog is a pet hate. It annoys me even more when people don't clear up after their dog in parks where children play.

Picking up poo is part and parcel of dog ownership and if people can't be ar$ed to do it then they shouldn't get a dog.

Last edited:

GSD Woman

Visit site
We've got a blue Tupperware type pot with a snaplock lid which we put the filled poo bags in. The blue pot is not used for anything else. If the dog performs just after we've set off, I'll pop back to the car and put the bag just under the car, and make sure that I retrieve it before we set off for home.

Blue pot goes in a mini rucksack on the walk.

I like this Tupperware idea. I often stick and flick but there are times I can't. I'll probably stick with hanging on trees though. Not many people walk where I do at the time I do. When I walk in neighborhoods I carry it with me but at those times I'm not using a Chuck-It to throw tennis balls. (That takes my hands.)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My trainer taught me a handy trick-trap the handles of the poo bag under a windscreen wiper when no bins are available. But it smells!

GSD Woman

Visit site
One of these clipped to the lead! ? I never leave home with the dog without it. Must be a US equivalent.
https://www.dickybag.com/shop/dicky-bags

I would love to find something like this. It would solve the problem of how to carry poo.
I put my poop bags onto the rear windshield wiper if I need to carry that to a bin. I tried to do the front wipers but phew it was nasty stinky.

BBP

Visit site
I would love to find something like this. It would solve the problem of how to carry poo.
I put my poop bags onto the rear windshield wiper if I need to carry that to a bin. I tried to do the front wipers but phew it was nasty stinky.
These are such a good solution, no smell and no carrying an icky stinky poo bag by the handles for miles, and can carry it home in the car without it smelling. The empty poo bags store inside it. I clip it to my running belt when I go running with the dog too.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
This has just reminded me that I put two poo bags in the car last night. They will still be there by the time I get home at 6.30 tonight, with the car parked in full sun all day.....

We did this a little while ago. Never so grateful for the Covid induced loss of smell at the time. OH had to suffer though!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I hope the trainer meant your own windscreen wiper:p

Ha, don’t give me ideas!

Why did I not think of that?! Except people will probably try to stop me and tell me I have something attached, whilst popping it on the front means it can be discretely tucked under the bonnet (hood).

Amazon carries these and I just ordered a large purple one.

Best colour.

Nasicus

Visit site
Re: Wiper Poo Bags, I did come across this, the Kurgo Tailgate Dumpster, a magnetic box that sticks onto your car to put poo bags in:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kurgo-Tailgate-Dumpster-Garbage-Bags/dp/B075VDX7K7

Reviews are mixed in regards to how well it sticks, but I thought it was interesting none the less!
Personally I just go for the rear wiper method, of if it's a very short drive I'll chuck the bag in the divot between base of the windshield and top of the bonnet. But then I have a 5kg dog, so only teeny tiny poops to deal with.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Yesterday we got ran at by two off lead dogs, no one in sight for them. Turns out they were part of a big group running around the woods while the two pro dog walkers stood having a natter not paying attention to either of their packs.

Today we came across what I assume is a foreign rescue dog. We've seen it before, it's really anxious/reactive and even us being on the other side of the road is too much for it to tolerate. I know the barking is not necessarily aggressive but still wasn't mad impressed the owner decided to being it into the green space we were in, let it off lead, and then sit smack bang in the middle of the space instead of to the other end (we'd moved to one end to give them more space).

Also found out today that the scary walked on a chain dog is in fact a shepherd x pit and has some kind of DDA thing so it's supposed to have a muzzle on (but doesn't) and it's going to carry on this way until it attacks another dog again. We met the owner of a dog who it leapt over a fence to attack. Felt sorry for them having to walk around knowing it lives just round the corner (it stands at the wide open first floor window barking, I remember it from when we first moved thinking jfc would it jump out).

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Pups were loose-always within sight in the big woods, Bear and Milo on the lead and we stopped to allow someone to go past on the narrow windy path we were on. He came to tell us his rescue dog was ‘a little bit reactive’ and we could just go past. Popped the youngsters on the lead and walked past the whippet/lurcher with the man’s wife hiding in the trees. It went nuts at ours. It’s not the track to take an aggressive dog.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Pups were loose-always within sight in the big woods, Bear and Milo on the lead and we stopped to allow someone to go past on the narrow windy path we were on. He came to tell us his rescue dog was ‘a little bit reactive’ and we could just go past. Popped the youngsters on the lead and walked past the whippet/lurcher with the man’s wife hiding in the trees. It went nuts at ours. It’s not the track to take an aggressive dog.

Sorry what was the problem here? He was being responsible.

Nasicus

Visit site
Sorry what was the problem here? He was being responsible.
Possibly the track being so narrow that it puts the reactive dog in a situation where it has to pass other dogs at very close proximity. I can think of a few tracks locally where it's impossible to pass another person/dog without bumping a few limbs, lest you want to clamber into the 6ft high bank of nettles/brambles either side.
That's just a guess though, if there's space to pass or get off the track and remove the reactive dog from that situation then the guy was pretty good to go ahead and give a warning.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I am the irresponsible owner.

Left the dog out in the garden on Saturday while I washed my car (garden visible from driveway), and she got into a bucket of bird seed balls that were on the terrace. She was quick and I don't know how many she ate. Could've been 4 or 5.

She hasn't really been able to keep food down, or water if she drinks too much, but is acting normal and not dehydrated according to the vet. We went there this morning for some imaging and meds. Going to see what happens with the meds today, and if it still continues, then she's in for some imaging with contrast tomorrow morning and possible an op.

Exactly no one was surprised that a Labrador did this ?

She doesn't really chew her food, which is why she has a slow feeder bowl, so I was worried that she just had straight up balls of seed and fat in her. Honestly, I'm surprised it took 3 years before something like this happened. She's sooo piggy and the container happened the be in reach and the lid loose, apparently.