Irresponsible Owners

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
They make me worried about my dogs too, and they aren’t little. The 2 big boys are over 25kg, but they aren’t fighters.
My terriers are 6.4 kg and 7.6kg and my lurcher is 16kg so none of them would do well if attacked, mine are all friendly and wouldn’t expect an attack. I think it’s worse being on here and seeing all these posts .

SilverLinings

Visit site
Compared to the total number of dogs in the UK the number of dogs attacked seriously by other dogs I should think is extremely low. I've owned dogs for ~25yrs as an adult, and we had family dogs when I was a child. If you leave out playing that's got out of hand, or one-off snapping of teeth, or warning growls/nips/lunging etc then I've only witnessed first hand 3 proper dog 'attacks' (i.e. innocent victim dog attacked by aggressor dog with intent to injure or kill, very difficult to stop the aggressor). One was the XLB that attacked another XLB that I posted on the other thread earlier this year, the other two both happened to the same one of my dogs, ~10yrs apart, with different aggressors.

I haven't avoided other dogs, I've been to many local dog shows, agility competitions, training, shoots, they were regularly taken to a relatively busy beach, and that's still only three incidences. Even by word of mouth I've only heard of about five (none died), and not all the 'victims' were small dogs, they included two labradors and a springer spaniel.

I do watch the behaviour of other dogs in the vicinity, and I would avoid getting close to XLBs after my recent experience, but I think the likelihood of a dog I was walking being attacked is low. It is always good to be aware of your surroundings, but I think the risk for all/most of us on here is fairly low and (to be blunt) there are far more things that are likely to kill one's dog prematurely than another dog.

I'm not ignoring the severity of the attacks, and I think the owners of aggressive dogs should be penalised far more heavily. I don't think though that people should let reading the small number of stories about attacks spoil their enjoyment of their own dogs.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Dugs of Mugdock:

Today's winner goes to the owner of a black labrador. I joined a trail at a t-junction to see the off-lead lab and its owner going one way, and an on-lead dauschund and its owner going the other way. The lab charged up to the dauschund, which was clearly quite reactive and upset by this. It was growling and yelping and howling, making Godawful noises. The lab wasn't aggressive, just bolshy and stupid and overly friendly, and the little dog didn't like it. The little old lady with the dauschund was doing her best to put herself between the lab and her dog. The lab's owner kept calling it, to no avail. I stopped my horse, thinking, "Great, this thing has nothing resembling recall." The lab owner caught up to the dauschund and his dog and then herded the lab away. It trotted off, but he did not leash it. However, it had zero interest in my horse and trotted by us. Lucky me. Not so lucky dauschund owner. I can't imagine she was impressed.

The runner up goes to the couple with the German shepherd who were wandering aimlessly in the trees on the same trails as me. They were kind of trying to avoid me, and I was trying to avoid them, often by stopping and letting Hermosa graze so they could get some distance. But they kept circling around and ending up on the trail I was on. I didn't get a good feeling from this dog. I dunno... Anyway, I ended up closer than I wanted, with the damned dog eyeing us up, and I said, "Can you put a lead on it, please?"

"We don't have a lead," they said. "He doesn't need one."

Aye right, he doesn't. Who the f()78ck doesn't even carry a lead?? You never know who or what you may encounter. TBH, if they'd walked straight by me in a nonchalant way with their dog looking super focused on them (or at least not focused on my horse), which happens a lot, I would not have thought anything of it, but the dog wasn't that focused on them, and they kept trying to avoid me and looked concerned. Which suggests that if they are walking in a park heavily used by horses, he does need a bloody lead!

In third place, we have the owner of the overweight Jack Russell. The wee dog took off towards us, with the owner legging it after him. I reined in Hermosa and we stood waiting, like, "Really, dude?"

The eejits were out in force the night. A sunny evening brings all the rockets to the park.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Who walks their dog off their own property with out a lead ?
Why do some owners thing that their dog being extremely friendly is an excuse for it to do what it wants ?
Why the hooting heck do people get a Labrador dog and then fail to take the trouble to train ?
Why can’t people see the world through a tiny dogs eyes for thirty seconds ?

It’s just bemuses me .

ArklePig

Visit site
I've noticed a real trend for dogs off lead lately,I think I posted here about nearly hitting an Akita walking next to an a road recently. The other day I saw someone walking a lab off lead down Oxford Street in Belfast which is I think 4 lanes of traffic and a main bus route 😭

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I used to meet loads of people at the beach with no leashes on them.

Agree sunshine = melts.

I've just been taking young dog to the green and throwing food for her on the teatime walk as A) all the melts are out B) the farmer has put cows back in the big field and I can't be arsed running the gauntlet. Of melts.

maisie06

Visit site
Dugs of Mugdock:

Aye right, he doesn't. Who the f()78ck doesn't even carry a lead?? You never know who or what you may encounter. TBH, if they'd walked straight by me in a nonchalant way with their dog looking super focused on them (or at least not focused on my horse), which happens a lot, I would not have thought anything of it, but the dog wasn't that focused on them, and they kept trying to avoid me and looked concerned. Which suggests that if they are walking in a park heavily used by horses, he does need a bloody lead!

Oh god ! this was me last week....took the dogs with me to see to a friends horses as she was away, it's on a private farm no public rights of way, I park at the bottom yard and let dogs out and have a nice walk upto the horses, I get halfway realised I had forgotten my leads, oh bugger it I thought, no random members of the public so shouldn't be an issue and I can shove the dogs in a stable if any issues need sorting with the horses, so I keep going and end up being joined as often do by the resident farm terrier who loves to run with the spanners, so all is fine until I turn a corner past the cottages and meet a trespassing dog walker with 3 dogs, 2 off lead one naughty nutty one on lead they know they are not allowed there as the horse riders have complained about being chased by the dogs (I have permission! ) they don't see why I have permission and they dont and I thought omg I have no leads, my lot were as good as gold and ignored hers, farm terrier ran circles around the onlead dog and it wrapped the tresspasser up and they nearly fell in the mud!!! I felt such an irressponsible owner, when I got back and deposited farm terrier back to his owner the farm manager he was in hysterics as tne trespasser is the bane of his life tramping through crops and leaving gates open!!

Caol Ila

Visit site
The park has done a good job of putting up little signs everywhere saying they're multi-use trails and to look out for horses, bikes, dog walkers, kids, etc. I've seen fewer out of control dogs since they did that.

Yesterday, Hermosa and I were in the park circa 7pm, along with all the 'melts' as CorvusCorax put it. These eejits probably thought, "Oh, it's late, the park will be quiet. I don't need to control my dog." Except it wasn't quiet.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
On my walk this morning, saw a poo type thing on a flexi lead, so being polite I put my 3 on lead to walk past… man just let the poo thing clamber all over mine without pulling it away , it was about 10 feet away from him at the end of the flexi lead, felt like explaining to him what dog etiquette is but didn’t want a tow so walked on seething. My dogs were not happy as they couldn’t get away from it …. I was not happy either!!!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
On my walk this morning, saw a poo type thing on a flexi lead, so being polite I put my 3 on lead to walk past… man just let the poo thing clamber all over mine without pulling it away , it was about 10 feet away from him at the end of the flexi lead, felt like explaining to him what dog etiquette is but didn’t want a tow so walked on seething. My dogs were not happy as they couldn’t get away from it …. I was not happy either!!!!
I can’t understand why people don’t say something in these situations 🤷🏻‍♀️

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Sun's out, lots of dogs out, managed fine apart from one woman (never seen her before, obviously a fairweather walker) who allowed her offlead terrier to charge up barking, managed to reel mine in quickly and get through a gap in the hedge and ply her with food before she kicked off too much back.
Her: 'It's alright, she won't do anything'
Me: MINE WILL!

Heard her calling the dog several more times and saw her later with it in her arms, obviously one of the great leadless.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site

I didn’t want to have an argument over something like that. If it had been an aggressive dog I would have been more proactive, this was an older chap and I saw no point in getting myself wound up. When I was younger I was very quick to explode but now I am old I keep quiet and walk on..

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I pick my moments as generally I don't want to get into it. In general I just focus on my dog and if I see another coming in too quickly focus on fending it off and not waste time on 'can you call your dog' because it's usually too late by then. Once that has been achieved I just walk on and don't really acknowledge the other owner because I cba with the hassle. The only times I've really got into it is when the other owner has given my grief, like the dog walker who got shirty when I said 'that's not okay' as her pack of off lead dogs surrounded Ivy and the guy who told me I need to know how to react around other dogs when his French BS (bulldog) pulled the extendable lead out of his hands and would not back off until I grabbed the trailing lead. I can understand a lone female not wanting to get into it with a male.

Not much to report here for a while, though that will change with the good weather I expect. We did dodge an XL bully on our way home this eve. It was muzzled and on extendable lead, but fighting the muzzle and owner didn't seem to have much control with the lead situation. Given previously mentioned experience of a French bulldog getting loose of an extendable lead, I don't hold out much hope should this dog decide to 'go'.

Smitty

Visit site
Irresponsible Farmers: Can you please keep your sheep under close control and ensure that they do not chase walkers and their on lead dogs 😁

Small field with footpath through, saw sheep and clipped training lead onto collar as well as harness as a precaution. Dog spent most of its time trying to eat sheep poo, I spent most of mine dragging dog and trying to fend off the attentions of 3 very persistent sheep.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Because more often than not you would get a mouthful .
I also think it helps your dog if you never engage with the problem person with the problem dog apart from please get your dog away type communications.
I think it clearer to your dog what’s required if you don’t engage .

Clodagh

Visit site
Irresponsible Farmers: Can you please keep your sheep under close control and ensure that they do not chase walkers and their on lead dogs 😁

Small field with footpath through, saw sheep and clipped training lead onto collar as well as harness as a precaution. Dog spent most of its time trying to eat sheep poo, I spent most of mine dragging dog and trying to fend off the attentions of 3 very persistent sheep.
Next doors pet lambs are free range in their farmyard, which straddles the road. I came back from my walk yesterday with 5 bemused dogs, 3 lambs and a collie. 🤣

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My terriers are 6.4 kg and 7.6kg and my lurcher is 16kg so none of them would do well if attacked, mine are all friendly and wouldn’t expect an attack. I think it’s worse being on here and seeing all these posts .
You know I've thought the same thing. I've never even really thought of my dogs getting attacked, now i do.
A big (like weirdly huge) lab lunged at us this week luckily mine and this other walkers were all on leads but i did have a :eek: moment briefly as it looked like it meant it and she was having a bit of trouble holding onto him.

Janique

Visit site
We had a terrible story in the papers here in Switzerland.
Never heard of anything like it...

A 60 years old woman rescued a young American bulli, he was supposed to be pts in France but she wanted to save him....

He turned nasty on her and in order to save her life, she had to strangle him... In the fight, she managed to make a tourniquet
with a scarf and a metal bar or something like that.

The case went to court and she was not charged, she saved her own life and had no choice, however, she isn't hallowed to have animals anymore.

Stupid woman, why oh why rescue such a dog....

Janique

Visit site

Une Vaudoise a étranglé son chien pour se «sauver la vie»​

Une femme de 60 ans sera jugée à Yverdon pour avoir tué son molosse. Elle plaide la légitime défense.
par
R.M.
L’animal étranglé était un amstaff.

L’animal étranglé était un amstaff.
Wikipédia
Une Vaudoise de 60 ans sera jugée le 4 avril à Yverdon pour avoir tué son chien, qui l’agressait. Selon elle, c’était de la légitime défense.
Les faits ont eu lieu en juillet 2021. La Vaudoise avait récupéré cinq semaines auparavant en France un amstaff (american staffordshire terrier) de 2 ans et demi. Le jeune molosse était difficile à maîtriser s’il croisait d’autres chiens – il avait probablement servi d’«appât» lors de combats de chiens, relate le «Matin Dimanche».

PUBLICITÉ

Le jour du drame, le chien a entendu des aboiements et, frustré de ne pas pouvoir sortir de l’appartement, il s’est jeté sur sa propriétaire, selon son témoignage.

«Triste d’en être arrivée là»​

La Vaudoise dit s’être mise en boule au sol et s’est défendue en mordant son animal de 30 kilos. Elle a perdu deux dents. Selon elle, son amstaff était impossible à calmer et continuait de la mordre, aux bras et à la tête. La femme a alors réussi à s’emparer d’une écharpe et a étranglé à mort son molosse.
«Je suis tellement triste d’en être arrivée là même si je sais que je n’ai fait que sauver ma vie», raconte-t-elle dans le «Matin Dimanche». «Je n’ai fait que me défendre, j’ai clairement pensé que ma dernière heure était arrivée.»
La Vaudoise est poursuivie pour infraction à la loi fédérale sur la protection des animaux. Le Parquet requiert une peine pécuniaire avec sursis, une amende de 300 francs et le paiement des frais de justice. La justice tranchera le 4 avril.

Sorry, that's in French, he was an two and half year old Amstaff and used for dog fighting, he was agressive when meeting other dog and difficult to control.
She had him 5 weeks and hearing some dogs barking outside, he got frustrated and wanted to go out, she closed all doors and windows as he might have jumped out,
he got out of control and went for her.
She strangled him with a scarf, it was him or me she said.
She will have to pay CHF 3000.- and all the court fees and never have animals again.

scats

Visit site
Another dog attack locally yesterday. Two riders from my friends yard were hacking at the shore and attacked by a dog. Horses bitten on their legs, one threw the rider and bolted home. The rider needed hospital treatment. Owner of dog just clipped it on lead and ran, though someone got her photo and she has very distinctive hair so hopefully she will be recognised.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Having a lovely walk along a beach in Pembrokshire with my sprocker, minding our own business, Daisy splashing in the sea when i hear a woman shouting 'this way, this way as she ran in the opposite direction to her greyhound/large whippet who was making a very speedy run at Daisy. When it reached us it attacked Daisy, growling and biting at her. Owner still running in opposite direction shouting 'this way'. i confess to giving it a slap on the shoulder with the lead and it backed off. At this point there was a fair distance between owner and dog. i was furious. As we walked up the beach she was allowing the dog, now on an extending lead to
'play' with another dog who was with a family with a small child, dog still growling and snappy while wrapping itself around the child. Just unbelievable

pinkfluffy

Visit site
Having a lovely walk along a beach in Pembrokshire with my sprocker, minding our own business, Daisy splashing in the sea when i hear a woman shouting 'this way, this way as she ran in the opposite direction to her greyhound/large whippet who was making a very speedy run at Daisy. When it reached us it attacked Daisy, growling and biting at her. Owner still running in opposite direction shouting 'this way'. i confess to giving it a slap on the shoulder with the lead and it backed off. At this point there was a fair distance between owner and dog. i was furious. As we walked up the beach she was allowing the dog, now on an extending lead to
'play' with another dog who was with a family with a small child, dog still growling and snappy while wrapping itself around the child. Just unbelievable
Hope Daisy is ok. The amount of people who can't/won't control their dogs is unbelievable.

Goldenstar

Visit site
People are just out to lunch what wrong with them